1. Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 140,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 14 million posted discussions!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2. Guest we need your help! The Smashboards rankings project has already archived hundreds of tournaments and thousands of players, but the project requires many people to review submissions and help improve results. If you are interested in helping keep Smash history send a message to Hylian!

3. The official Nintendo White Controller is on sale for under $40 right now! Get it before the price increases!

4. Looking for the perfect gift for that Smasher in your life? Maybe even yourself? Use the Smashboards Store to get any awesome Smash accessories, like a Nintendo White Controller! Please check out the inventory in our store and support Smashboards with your purchase today!

The Bowser Questions and Advice Thread

Discussion in 'Bowser' started by Gimpyfish62, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Eikelmann

Eikelmann Ей 22. Она красивая, стройная леди.

• Premium
    sorry for late reply. couldn't login for some reason.

bowser's wavedash is mediocre, but i use it a lot. i wouldn't say there's "no need for it" either. dash dance to wavedash back --> ftilt is something i like to do vs falcons. just experiment some.

also, up-b to the ledge is really good but sometimes i prefer just to wavedash off --> fastfall to the ledge. sometimes it's better than up-b. there have been times where i did up-b instead and accidentally saved my opponent, where if i had just wavedashed to the ledge --> fastfall it would have been quicker and wouldn't have put out any hitboxes.

dsmash is good for reading rolls and punishing missed techs imo. another classic use of it specifically on yoshis is as soon as you hit someone onto one of the platforms and you're on the ledge, a normal ledge jump under 100% will put you automatically onto the platform and you can instantly dsmash. perfect example here. keep watching until the end of that stock. http://youtu.be/7-t89QuUrI4?t=1m55s
    E-102 Gamma likes this.
  2. Eikelmann

• Premium
    E-102 Gamma likes this.
  3. Star Child

Star Child Smash Rookie

I'm having a lot of trouble with the falco match-up. I'm getting rushed down and comboed to roughly 80% on most stocks. So I'm just wondering what tools Bowser has to deal with a rushdown and how to properly DI the pillaring?
  4. Eikelmann

• Premium
    Uhhh I can't explain DI very well, I just kinda do it

But you should be using up-b out of shield every time they attack your shield. Chances are, their pressure won't be perfect because very few falcos are good at shield pressure. Rushdown Falco gets bopped by a defensive Bowser. Gotta be spot on with your edgeguards though.
  5. E-102 Gamma

E-102 Gamma Smash Journeyman

There's DI, SDI, and ASDI.

DI is done with the directional stick and is most effective when used in a direction perpendicular to the knockback. If you're trying not to go flying off the stage and die, you press up and towards your attacker. If you're trying to get out of a combo, you press down and away.

SDI (Smash DI) is also done with the control stick and 'scoots' you around while you're in hitstun. You just smash the stick in the direction you want to SDI in while you're getting hit and your character is moved in that direction.

ASDI (Automatic Smash DI) is done with either the directional stick or the c-stick, with the latter taking priority. It's like SDI, except it doesn't require the sticks to be smashed in a direction, is half as effective, and takes place once hitstun ends.
  6. Star Child

Star Child Smash Rookie

I recall DJ saying that for survival DI you'd DI up and towards the opponent (like Gamma explained, thank you) and ASDI down and towards your opponent. So for combo DI, it'd be down and away for DI and ASDI would be the same? I'm just trying to get an idea of which direction I should be pushing the c-stick.
  7. E-102 Gamma

You'd ASDI directly away or down and away from your opponent to escape combos.
  8. Renth

Renth Smash Hero

E-102 Gamma likes this.
  9. Star Child

Star Child Smash Rookie

What beats Up+B out of shield frame-wise? I'm trying to understand what I can punish oos and what I can't.
  10. E-102 Gamma

According to DJ Nintendo, only Peach's down-smash can out clank Bowser's up-B. The 'Fortress beats everything else.
  11. Eikelmann

• Premium
    yeah dsmash is wack. i haven't seen anything else beat it out before, but we'll see.
  12. Oaty

Oaty Smash Cadet

Can somebody help me with the DK MU?

Once I get grabbed I end up getting tons of percent tacked on. Avoiding his Bair is also a pain but Up B OoS can stop a lot of his options I feel anyway. I just need some help with the MU in general I don't really seem to understand what my options are during the neutral.
  13. Star Child

Star Child Smash Rookie

A good start would be watching the DJ Nintendo- Strong Bad (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVIFwd2IYZs) match to get some ideas. What seems to work well in the neutral are spaced fairs and ftilts; dj likes to waveland off the platform and fair quite a bit with varying success. As for the grabs, DKs uair is unpleasant in general and bowser being massive doesn't help. That being said, DI away during the throw and the same for the uair could help. As for edgeguarding, the downward ftilt and a traded bair are probably the best bets. I think.

Just my two cents. A more experienced bowser player may be able to shed a bit more light on the subject.
  14. ChivalRuse

ChivalRuse Smash Hero

DI behind DK at all times when he is comboing you (for best chance of escaping the combo). Or in general just DI where it would be hard for DK to follow up from. To avoid getting grabbed, do not do aerials while moving forward, or even in place. Only do them retreating fairs and only when pressured. Use up-b if you are panicking and are afraid of getting grabbed.

DK will be bairing you a lot, which means CC is an option. Although d-smash might outright beat a bair if it isn't spaced perfectly. D-smash has high priority and big characters like DK tend to get sucked in. Try d-smash on reaction if you can. But don't just stand there looking dumb and waiting to d-smash, or he'll just run up and grab you.

Play reactively and try to stay mobile to keep out of grabs. That's the way.
  15. Eikelmann

• Premium
    lol wtf, why are you asking for bowser dk advice LOL
  16. Wubbs

Wubbs Smash Rookie

3DS Friend Code:
    4484-7999-7990
    Dear gimpy.
    How can I get the klaw to grab every time?
  17. Eikelmann

• Premium
    The grab-box is located inside of Bowser (kind-of), so aim with the part between his claw and his stomach.
  18. Jecux

Jecux Smash Rookie

I'm new to Melee and I know that Bowser is definitely not a character to start with but I still would like to give him a chance. What basic things should I practice first with him?
  19. Eikelmann

• Premium
    You need to be really good at up-b out of shield, and you need to know when to crouch cancel because it's really useful for him. Work on crouch canceling into forward-tilt, up-b, grab, and sometimes even up-tilt.

Hauska tutustua, jecux. Olen kotoisin Karjalasta btw. :bee:
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  20. Jecux

Jecux Smash Rookie

I'm pretty good with Fortress OoS in Brawl, so I have something useful to know already. Thanks for the advice!
    Hauska tutustua sinuun myös! ;)
  21. Oaty

Oaty Smash Cadet

Is Yoshi's by far the best stage for bowser?
    What other stages can he do well on?
  22. Star Child

Star Child Smash Rookie

I have an easier time on yoshi's simply because of the auto ledge-grab, auto-cancel jump from the ledge, and the closer blast zones allowing for lower% KOs in general. After Yoshi's it kind of becomes orientated on match-ups and personal preference. I've found success on FoD against spacies and falcon and I'm just comfortable on Battlefield. Overall, smaller stages will take advantage of Bowsers strengths like KO power and ability to get the opponent off-stage earlier in the stocks.

That, and FD is awful for Bowser the majority of the time.