1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 225,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3. We recently relaunched the Events system on Smashboards Guest! Most notably you'll now be able to filter events by the games featured, and their proximity to you.

Check out all the details.

4. Right now the Smash Controller is on sale for $23 on Amazon! Get the Smash GameCube Controller now!

5. Use the Smashboards Store to get awesome Smash stuff and support the site, like a Nintendo Controller or the Wii U - Gamecube adaptor ! Check out the inventory in our store and support Smashboards with your purchase today!

Meta The "Bowser Matchups" Thread

Discussion in 'Bowser' started by Gimpyfish62, Feb 16, 2007.

1. J$

J$
    Expand Collapse
    feelin' some kinda way

• Premium
    NNID:
    komfyking
    I beat a Ganondorf in tournament yesterday and want to know what you guys think of the MU.
    I think it's pretty tough to say the least. Personally, I found that, as opposed to my preference in most MUs, I actually did better on bigger stages. This is the only MU where I have ever actually wanted to take them to Dreamland (where I won game 3 :) ). I think the best thing to do is grab. Grabs prevent Ganon from punching you in the mouth so that's good. Dthrow tech chases are efficient and not too hard to pull off. I found myself using them a looot. Also just throwing Ganon offstage and slapping him with fair a few times was a very effective way to close out a stock.

This was also my first time winning in tournament with Bowser so far and tbh I am very proud :)

Synnett and A Stuffy Muffin like this.
  2. Kalimari

Kalimari
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Cadet

Here's a cool game 1 where DJ goes bowser against Moon's marth :) gives me hope for this matchup x)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LlpUPdcgDw8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A Stuffy Muffin and E-102 Gamma like this.
  3. Synnett

Synnett
    Expand Collapse
    Fancy Dux

• Premium
    3DS FC:
    2380-6077-4680
    NNID:
    Synnett
    Peach is cancer. Also is Marth, or any character with disjointed hitboxes (aka swerds)

Whirling fortress can cancel Jigglypuff's rest somehow, lots of fun. but it's hard to land a hit.

4. Synnett

Synnett
    Expand Collapse
    Fancy Dux

• Premium
    3DS FC:
    2380-6077-4680
    NNID:
    Synnett
    Okay, so I found a small something with Capt. Falcon and Marth: If, when you climb back on stage with your attack below 100%, they get knocked out of the stage, they then use their up B to come back on the stage. As soon as the lag from the climb stops, use Fsmash toward the ledge, and it's a sure hit. It might work for Ganon too

5. J$

J$
    Expand Collapse
    feelin' some kinda way

• Premium
    NNID:
    komfyking
    This most likely won't work if they sweetspot the ledge. It'd work as a read though for a recovery if they don't sweetspot.

6. Synnett

Synnett
    Expand Collapse
    Fancy Dux

• Premium
    3DS FC:
    2380-6077-4680
    NNID:
    Synnett
    Dude, Bowser = read. And in order to sweetspot the ledge, CPT. Falcon have to instantly use his up b. Or he ded.

7. Synnett

Synnett
    Expand Collapse
    Fancy Dux

• Premium
    3DS FC:
    2380-6077-4680
    NNID:
    Synnett
    E-102 Gamma likes this.
  8. E-102 Gamma

E-102 Gamma
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Journeyman

Good stuff, Eikelmann! :)

Synnett likes this.
  9. Kalimari

Kalimari
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Cadet

New vid of dj usin bowser, this time against puff. what do you all think of dreamland in this matchup? I rather like it interestingly, the survivability of bowser is t o p s

https://youtu.be/iV3T-azEp3Q?t=3m23s

E-102 Gamma, J$ and Synnett like this.
  10. Synnett

Synnett
    Expand Collapse
    Fancy Dux

• Premium
    3DS FC:
    2380-6077-4680
    NNID:
    Synnett
    Everyone think they can do some easy rests on my Bowser, so they pick Jigglypuff. I got to know this matchup very well, and that's probably Bowser's best match up ironically. Jigglypuff have a hard time approching Bowser, and even when he does, we up b out of shield, making it one of the harder characters to land a rest on.

I actually really really hate Dream Land because of the wind - it kills me so often! I usually pick Fountain of Dream. Bowser's movement here is insanely good, and Jigglypuff have a hard time approaching because of the platforms, while I can just clip through them with most of my moves. But yea, I understand how Dream Land can be good, but I can't stand it xD

11. J$

J$
    Expand Collapse
    feelin' some kinda way

• Premium
    NNID:
    komfyking
    That 4 stock was hot, but that commentary was not

Good god, that girl had no idea what she was doing. And I'm not being sexist either, she had no place being a commentator.

Anyways, I think DL is pretty good for this MU, though I also like Yoshi's. I haven't played it enough to have a real say though.

Synnett and Kalimari like this.
  12. A Stuffy Muffin

A Stuffy Muffin
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Cadet

Always great to see DJ's Boozer.

I'm kind of wary of DL but I'm always wary of DL. Yoshi's is kind of a double edged sword in that MU, we've got all our gimmicks and one read will secures a stock but we get gimped real easy there. Maybe I'm just salty because I got 4 stocked by a jiggs on Yoshi's once. I feel better about FoD, a little more room to work with but also comfortable blast zones.

13. Kalimari

Kalimari
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Cadet

everyone thinks yoshi's is this stage that automatically gives bowser this huge advantage. i mean sure somethings become easier like movement and kill potential but you're right, it's a double edged sword. I lost track of how many times i went yoshi's and got locked down, HARD. against falco you're smothered and you get combod to shxt. against fox not only is your movement buff not important (fox can run circles around you and bait you hard) but you die to upsmash and up air at embarassingly low percents. and with puff it kind of goes back to falco where you get locked down hard with no room to do your business.
    well she dies to up B and uptilt at about 50% LOL so that's good tho.

but i mean yeah battlefield is pretty much the go to stage imo. dreamland is coo, so is fountain. just avoid fd and stadium x (
    sheik and peach are two matchups where i think yoshi's is the best pick though, anyone else agree?

#533 Kalimari, Dec 12, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  14. J$

J$
    Expand Collapse
    feelin' some kinda way

• Premium
    NNID:
    komfyking
    Yeah I feel exactly the same about Yoshi's, I just happen to like the stage a lot lol

Battlefield has always been my favorite stage for Bowser.

15. Kalimari

Kalimari
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Cadet

(i actually love the bowser vs peach matchup btw)

16. J$

J$
    Expand Collapse
    feelin' some kinda way

• Premium
    NNID:
    komfyking
    I actually played that MU once in tourney back when I was a Puff main because the Puff Peach MU is so ****ing lame. I actually did better as Bowser (still lost though but that's because I was booty)

I don't even know what I did right but the MU didn't see too bad. Still pretty bad, but not the worst.

17. Synnett

Synnett
    Expand Collapse
    Fancy Dux

• Premium
    3DS FC:
    2380-6077-4680
    NNID:
    Synnett
    I think it's in their playstyle. Sometime Peach users like to float in the air over the main platform and approach with turnips and downair. In that case, Peach is a wall that pushes you out of the stage. If this happens to you, you have to use your air upB through her. Or they spam turnips, which is hard too, or they use Armada's playstyle (platform movement, etc.), which isn't bad.

But yep, not as bad as Sheik. We gotta find a way to rekt Sheiks...

18. Synnett

Synnett
    Expand Collapse
    Fancy Dux

• Premium
    3DS FC:
    2380-6077-4680
    NNID:
    Synnett
    Alright, small update for the Link match up! I'm actually pretty good against it, but I've never been able to explain how to face it.

mah vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucKxg29h9Eo

Don't even bother edge-guarding in that one, unless he's coming from low, diagonally (with flames). He can just rise through the stage with his upb and there is no counter for his hookshot recovery. What you want to do is to keep middle stage, and try to keep Link above you. Whenever you have a chance to grab and throw him near the ledge. Being pressured this way, he won't be able to throw projectiles as much, making it easier to approach. Pressure with shield, but try not to get grabbed (a short hop or R+down is enough to avoid his clawshot, then punish the lag). Keep your distances from the ledge when he recovers, just enough to land a f-tilt if he come back on stage. Oh, and pick small stages, they are better. Abuse of your shield!

That's quite the basics. That said, good luck lol.