• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta The "Bowser Matchups" Thread

PNaleek

Smash Journeyman
How about that matchup advice...

Best way to fight a YL? Projectiles aren't fun...
SPACING. Along with that, just watch for the openings (ie. laggy moves, missed L-cancels, etc.) and them PUNISH him. Up-b, F-air, FSmash, they're all good. ;D
Also, don't get to anxious for the kill. That only gets you punished.

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
Can I have some more Marth advice please? Because I keep getting grabbed when I approach with ShFair>DI away. Alot of Marth's just take their range (Fsmash) or running speed to the advantage, not to mention the long grab range aswell. It just gets so hard for me to space, because I DI away during stuff. But the Marth just catches up.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Well you could... not attack his shield, that'd be a good idea. Alternately, if for some weird reason you really feel the urge to approach a shielded opponent, you can use your air grab on him.

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
This thread is still alive and kickin' lol. I guess me & WarriorKnight should give our godly advice to all our fellow Bowsers of the world.

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
We should start discussing the Marth matchup more often. *Keeps the thread alive*

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
Well, for a start we could mention the advantages & disadvantages of Bowser when it comes to vs. Marth.

Bowser get's combo'd easily and has limited approaches.
Out ranged by Marth.
Has long grab range and thus WDing away can't avoid it, even if you jump Marth will just Utilt or air you.
Marth can catch up to Bowser etc. . .

I really can't think properly at the moment, I have final school exams coming up (it's my last year! Then college)

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Seems like a pretty bad matchup to me. The only way I see Bowser having a chance is forcing Marth into the air with an out of shield Fortress, then trying to sneak in/trade hits with a fair to get him off the stage, then edgeguard.

WarriorKnight

Smash Ace
I feel like I have to step in here. Don't be discouraged by this matchup.
Personally, aside from fighting spacies, this is my most enjoyable matchup.

Im not gonna sit here and lie saying the match is in Bowser's favor but its not completely tipped over in Marth's favor either.

The thing about this matchup is that u have to constantly force the Marth to bring out moves that could be punished if missed. im currently posting this thru my phone so i'll post in detail later..

All is gotta say for now is Klaws, Up-bs out of shield, f-tilts, downthrows,u-airs when they're above u, Dash attacks, DI'ing F-airs, and lots of dash dancin!!

St. Viers

Smash Champion
I use a nubby friend's marth, and FD (though to be fair, I can't beat him on autopilot w/ even my good chars) to hone my bowser.

If you have the space, the klaw is a great option--it clashes or trades w/ his attacks, and grabs him if he shields. If you misspace the grab, it still pushes him pretty far away. My general strategy is to get them to a situation where I can Up-> ledge while pressuring/attacking them, and using the edgegrab to my advantage. Generally, trying to get them in the air/on a platform. From there, it's actually not that bad for bowser.

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
Dash attacks? I really don't know about that, but I've tried the SHFair>DI away, I get chased down. Thanks anyway, I'm still thinking if I should main Bowser for competitive play. For one thing, I enjoy using him at parties where little kids don't think Bowser stands a chance against any 'cool' looking character. But on a competitive level, I have a long way to go before being comfortable with Bowser.

He's fun to use in general though, the little kids think he's crap + a few competitive people. A very uncommon character, may look ugly to the untrained eye. But is very adorable. . . what else could go wrong!

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Your best bet if you must fair a shield is to do it as low as possible and immediately Fortress away.

If you want a character who's good but is underestimated, play DK =P Or Ganondorf.

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
hehehe, yeah DK and Ganon are pretty fun to play. I like their metagames alot too, like Ganon's jab>grab to etc. and DK's Dair>Bair etc.

and about the Fair - Yeah, that would be about right. If I fair really low I can L-cancel and then immediately Fortress. I totally get you there mate.

WarriorKnight

Smash Ace
No matter how fast and perfectly spaced, if you are going to f-air a marth in his shield, he will always shield grab you.

Yes, Dash attacks are amazing and are always underated. The crazy range and hitbox of this attacks always catch ppl off guard. Its perfect, it pops him up into the air for more setup opportunities.
Also, never JC grab with bowser, you want to take advantage of his full body stretch when grabbing, the range is unreal.

I will soon upload some videos of me playing against a high level marth.

The best Bowser vs marth that you could find is on youtube. Search for DJNintendo Bowser vs. PKMVoda Marth. It is a 3 game set. Very entertaining.

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
No matter how fast and perfectly spaced, if you are going to f-air a marth in his shield, he will always shield grab you.

Yes, Dash attacks are amazing and are always underated. The crazy range and hitbox of this attacks always catch ppl off guard. Its perfect, it pops him up into the air for more setup opportunities.
Also, never JC grab with bowser, you want to take advantage of his full body stretch when grabbing, the range is unreal.

The best Bowser vs marth that you could find is on youtube. Search for DJNintendo Bowser vs. PKMVoda Marth. It is a 3 game set. Very entertaining.
Hey thanks alot mate, I really do mean it.
I always thought normal dash grabs weren't good because of the lag it offers when you miss. So I JC grab, I'll try the normal grab though. You Boozer mains are soo helpful.

Shök

Smash Champion

He he. Really? I always thought JC grab was better. :p

St. Viers

Smash Champion
^^it depends. If you want a (for bowser) slightly faster grab, than JC. If you want a grab w/ slightly more range, dash cancel. If you want a slightly faster grab w/ more range than the JC, do a normal running grab.

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I was always told to JC grab but I'm getting the hang of using dash attacks and dash grabs. I still have to get fortress hogging into my game.

Shök

Smash Champion
Yeah, I was always told to JC grab but I'm getting the hang of using dash attacks and dash grabs. I still have to get fortress hogging into my game.
Fortress hogging is pretty easy to add. You just need to be sure you know the timing and distance to fortress to the edge.

Hatacatan

Smash Cadet
Bowsers normal grab isn't that much faster than his dash grab, it comes out only one frame earlier. The dash grab also has 8 frames more lag, but I prefer it for its range, too. However, the lag of both grabs is ridiculously high compared to other characters grabs, of course.

@ Dikastis Shok:
Are you talking about the timed fortress hog? For me it's easier to slow the fortress down manually by rolling up the control stick a bit (about 45 ° or more, if you want to be careful) before reaching the ledge. The effect is the same, Bowser loses some momentum and grabs the ledge instead of flying past it, but you don't have to wait for the ending animation.
It's just like wavedashing to the ledge with Luigi, if Luigi is too fast when sliding off the ledge, he won't grab it.
Well, at least I believe it is like that.^^

Shök

Smash Champion
@ Dikastis Shok:
Are you talking about the timed fortress hog? For me it's easier to slow the fortress down manually by rolling up the control stick a bit (about 45 ° or more, if you want to be careful) before reaching the ledge. The effect is the same, Bowser loses some momentum and grabs the ledge instead of flying past it, but you don't have to wait for the ending animation.
It's just like wavedashing to the ledge with Luigi, if Luigi is too fast when sliding off the ledge, he won't grab it.
Well, at least I believe it is like that.^^
Lawl. I just simply run towards the edge, fortress as soon as I'm close enough to the edge, and get it. :p

Hatacatan

Smash Cadet
Yes, this also works well. ^^

I was talking about fortressing to the ledge directly from some point on the stage which is not directly next to the ledge. xD

St. Viers

Smash Champion
^^yeah, being able to do more than the run to the edge/roll and hog is useful. Can get to the edge from most of FD, which is really useful, as it's one of bowser's least favorite stages that he *may* leave unbanned.

Shök

Smash Champion
Yes, this also works well. ^^

I was talking about fortressing to the ledge directly from some point on the stage which is not directly next to the ledge. xD
^^yeah, being able to do more than the run to the edge/roll and hog is useful. Can get to the edge from most of FD, which is really useful, as it's one of bowser's least favorite stages that he *may* leave unbanned.
He he. I know what you guys mean. Fortress from middle of FD to edge hog, anyone? :p

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
The mistake I do is I don't slow down my fortress at the right time, thus sliding of and SD.

I mean I can do it, but I just have to get used to the timing which I haven't been able to do consistently.
(I don't even know why)

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
:scared: Boozer can Uthrow chaingrab Fastfallers! Sorry if this is already discovered, but I had an Idea where you can chain them all the way to the end of the stage and instead of another grab just fastfall fair and they pretty much die. (as long as you edgeguard right)

Hatacatan

Smash Cadet
Yes, he can. I don't think he can regrab them, if they DI out (at least I never manage to do it). Also a Falcon I played against managed to doublejump out without DIing away, but maybe I was just too slow.^^
Usually it surprises people, though, and you can regrab them once or twice and then give them the fair. I love it, Upthrow > fair on fastfallers is one of Bowsers rare combos.
You also can sideb - fthrow to fair or uair, depending on their DI.

Gojira

Smash Lord
Holy ages of light I have not posted in the Bowser thread in years.....

Just wanted to drop in and say hi to my fellow Bowser players =P (even though I really dont play anymore -_-)

So about the spacies chain grab. its incredibly amazing. You can chain throw them until they say "F-this" DI up then you gets a free up tiltz =P best feeling in the world.

KingJiggyWiggy

Smash Lord
The mistake I do is I don't slow down my fortress at the right time, thus sliding of and SD.

I mean I can do it, but I just have to get used to the timing which I haven't been able to do consistently.
(I don't even know why)
How many times do I have to return to Smashboards to tell you all that, after a long absense, all you have to do is hold up and the direction you are moving in order to fortress cancel with a minimal chance of dying?

Top Bottom