• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Austin Smash 4 Thread - Weeklies are now at OOPLES!

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
Yeah, I've been grinding him out on for glory. Still figuring out neutral game though. It's similar to Kirby's but different enough that I feel like my play wouldn't cut it at tourney. I need to play against some people from our scene.

My punish and combo game are on pointr though. If for glory was on smash ville id be getting those uair into up b KOs off the top.

Last edited:

Comboman77

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Comboman77
3DS FC
3995-6665-4886
That adds up to like 7 total that know about this thread now.

;_;
It's okay man, I have a friend-ish guy moving from Canada down here to Austin, I'll link him the thread. Just tell Joe to mak ean announcement about the thread and have him link on the FB page. Bam, instantly a least a few more people.
That's fine, the fewer the people that
know about me picking up meta knight the better.

:gova:
well ****

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
Does anyone know if Soccer Eye will only pick one character from the Smash 4 Fighter Ballot results, or will he do like the top 5 (or at least top 3)?

I'm just afraid for Wolf and Dixie Kong.

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
Does anyone know if Soccer Eye will only pick one character from the Smash 4 Fighter Ballot results, or will he do like the top 5 (or at least top 3)?

I'm just afraid for Wolf and Dixie Kong.
Other than saying the rest of the DLC characters would be "fan service" there's been no word on the Ballot. Most feel like Sack Rye's comments makes King K. Rool a lock to be added.

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
What are :4villager:'s worst matchups? Both Zard and Luigi lose solidly in that MU in my opinion and I'm still messing around with new characters all the time. I just don't understand Villager very well and I'd love for some input on Villager's toughest opponents.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
What are :4villager:'s worst matchups? Both Zard and Luigi lose solidly in that MU in my opinion and I'm still messing around with new characters all the time. I just don't understand Villager very well and I'd love for some input on Villager's toughest opponents.
Falco does well.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
Agree that Luigi loses, but imo Charizard does OK customs-off since he can armor through Villager's f-air/b-air with Flare Blitz and has the speed to trap Villager's landings out of throws and capitalize on openings when he's walling you out. Also, if you jump a lot, Villager is a lot harder to deal with. I mention jumping since Charizard's n-air is great and every Charizard player wants to land one of those, but in this MU it's about being careful when you dash and consistently powershielding (as with the R.O.B. MU).

As for Villager's worst matchups, I think that Falco, Zelda, Fox, Sheik (of course), Mega Man, Olimar, Rosalina, Ness, Diddy Kong, and Palutena all shut him down pretty solidly. The reflector characters can just ignore f-air, b-air, Lloid, etc., the rushdown characters (Diddy and Sheik) are either difficult to hit (Diddy) or have the tools to prevent Villager from ever setting up (Sheik theoretically can't let Villager breathe), and the unique examples (Mega Man, Rosalina, Ness) don't care about Villager's ability to absorb projectiles and can overwhelm him with their other moves. Sonic also seems pretty bad for Villager since his bread and butter won't stop Spin Charge. In short, Villager sucks against short/mid-size fast characters and/or ones with reflectors. Charizard is large, so he has to play the MU more carefully, but he does have that incredible base 100 speed, so Villager can't keep you away forever. Oh and if you're recovering low, time the up B so that you armor through f-smash edge guards. And don't be afraid to go out and edgeguard Villager yourself, Charizard's down aerial is an amazing spike and Villager's balloons make it much easier to connect.

MassKirbycide

Smash Cadet
^As anecdotal evidence of that, Matt has beaten Ashen with Charizard, so in a customs-off meta, it's definitely not an entirely atrocious MU.

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
Speaking of villager, I like how everyone in the chat yesterday put Ashen over me in their ranking lists even though I've been out placing him for the majority of the tourneys.

Rate me on potential too pls ty

:gova:

Last edited:

MassKirbycide

Smash Cadet
Y'all have gone back and forth in rankings a bit, but it looks like you do have a point that there is at least a slight edge for you in our locals. I guess most of where I put y'all in my head was based off of stuff against OOC players, since he has gone to more events than you.

In any case, the tier I put you, Ashen, and Boom in on my list was intended to be mostly interchangeable anyway; with customs off, it will be interesting to see how things play out over the next month or so.

Emuser012

Smash Cadet
NNID
Emuser012
Yea, I feel Ashen will drop with Villager because we've learned to barely beat/lose to trip sapling, but with that gone along with pushy lloyd's multiple hits and explosive balloon's impunity at recovery, I think that he's gonna have to work a lot harder with the character as it is easier now for the rest of us.

For Gova, I believe I said indeterminable because I personally don't know how he does, I just hear him doing brutal things with Kirby and stirring some upsets. I hadn't looked at lists when I started the whole ranking idea, but someone who's gone to all the Mothership probably knows better than I do. I felt like I was ~15th overall but after seeing some of the names yesterday I realize I'm a bit lower than that. I need to play against like 5 or 6 people to determine how I do against them with my main.

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
What's everyone's current Austin top 10? Or at least top 5? Not counting SMS guys? Though I <3 both Platy and Savage.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
What's everyone's current Austin top 10? Or at least top 5? Not counting SMS guys? Though I <3 both Platy and Savage.
I've been keeping track of things through the ranking system on Smashboards. Other than TheRusBus and Alex that don't have accounts, and can't claim, the top 10 are pretty straightforward from the data of the last 10 Motherships. Recall, that this might be different since there are people who haven't claimed.

No SMS:

SaSSy, Magik, TheRusBus (no account), MikEffect , BloodyBoom, BNK, Alex (no account), Ashen, Gova, Grandi, MassKirbycide (tied with Grandi in points).

With SMS:

SaSSy, Savage, Magik, Platypus, TheRusBus (no account), MikEffect, BloodyBoom, BNK, Alex (no account), Ashen.

A bit out of order, these also don't take ARFI's or other tournaments into consideration. The amounts of brackets affects placement since that means more or less points.

Shiken

Smash Journeyman
meh, i need to start attending more. gotta get my king dadledingo in that top 10

Last edited:

MassKirbycide

Smash Cadet
I'm definitely glad your rankings don't include ARFIs, Locuan! Between being hungover at ARFI #5 and Moist managing to take me out at ARFI #6, those would have been rough on my ranking :laugh:

EDIT: Also, for those curious, here's the link to the table Locuan has been compiling (minus the players who don't have accounts like TheRusBus and Alex): http://smashboards.com/rankings/mothership-austin-tx-smash-wii-u.16/league?id=261258

Last edited:

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
FWIW I put more stock in the monthlies and big events like DBA4 and CATI than I do in the weeklies...

MassKirbycide

Smash Cadet
FWIW I put more stock in the monthlies and big events like DBA4 and CATI than I do in the weeklies...
I would agree to some degree, but it's also harder to compare players relatively from larger events, because there tends to be a lot more out of town competition that is hard to quantify in automated rankings that don't have any context or notion of how good those players are. Weeklies give a general picture of how the players in a city do against each other, which is probably more meaningful overall in a PR.

Last edited:

Comboman77

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Comboman77
3DS FC
3995-6665-4886
and then I'm here placing 49th and 33rd at all the weeklies I've been to lmao

I two stocked rusty in game 2 of our bracket match tho, I think I'm getting better

Comboman77

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Comboman77
3DS FC
3995-6665-4886
I was wondering if anyone could give me a ride home after weeklies today, if that's okay with any of you.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
meh, i need to start attending more. gotta get my king dadledingo in that top 10
Read that as King Dingleberry. Can't unread.

BTW. If that karate movie joke negatively impacted your play in our match, Locuan, you have my sincerest apologies.
I was tired and loopy, and it just kind of slipped out. ><

Last edited:

MassKirbycide

Smash Cadet
First Season 2 PR is out:
http://smash4.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/7-28-2015.txt

Current Top 20 (including mains for everyone I know; please correct me if I'm wrong on any, or if there are any co-mains I missed):
7/28/2015

1. Magik :4wario:
2. TheRusBus :4marth:
3. SMS Platypus :4fox:
4. SaSSy :4rob:
5. MikEffect :4ness:
6. SMS Savage :4sheik:
7. Blue Ninjakoopa :4rob::4mario::4wiifitm:
8. AoS | MassKirbycide :4megaman:
9. SB | Locuan :4mario:
10. Alex :4zss:
11. DozingLeaf :4olimar:
12. SMS Yellocake :4yoshi:
13. Braun :4peach::rosalina:
14. TMG Dragonite :4luigi:
15. SA Face :4link:
16. AoS | Grandi :4luigi:
17. AoS | Socks :4pacman:
18. JayDee :4sheik:
19. RED :4peach::4zelda:
20. Ditto :4mario:

I'm gonna enjoy that Top 8 spot while it lasts!

Last edited:

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
I feel like once-a-week serious practice and attending the weeklies could get me to where I consistently make T-13th or T-17th, which is not a very lofty goal, but would make me feel good to think "I'm top 20 in Austin".

Comboman77

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Comboman77
3DS FC
3995-6665-4886
ayy lmao im ranked

not a good rank but it's something, I'll be back next year to go further

MassKirbycide

Smash Cadet
Woo, Mega Man virtually unchanged, and Kirby buffed; it's been a good day for my character crew. Bummed that Falcon's bair was slightly nerfed though.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I heard that his sour U-tilt combos into another U-tilt when facing forward.
Still figuring stuff out. There is a thread on the Marth boards of the ongoing investigation. U-tilt, Shieldbreaker seem to have less end lag. Aerials bar N-air and Up-B less landing lag. Waiting on confirmation.

Last edited:

mattatat

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mtthwlol
I actually think the match-up is pretty even for Zard. With customs gone you can easily go out and challenge Villager's recovery without having to worry about exploding balloons. Without those balloons d-air wrecks him if he recovers low, f-air if he is coming in straight on and if he is going high you can go for the u-air. Your goal as Zard is to get people off stage and edge-guard the **** out of them and without customs it's a lot easier to do that against Villager. On the downside though, Villager f-air and n-air are hella annoying. They can carry you across the stage with that **** and it makes me want to pull my hair out.

But to answer your question, Falco seems to do pretty well. I noticed Rusty picked him up to help with the match-up since he tends to have trouble when he uses Marth.

Last edited:
Top Bottom