• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Austin Smash 4 Thread - Weeklies are now at OOPLES!

GaiustheThief

Smash Ace
NNID
GaiustheThief
3DS FC
5343-8142-6721
Nah man it's cool c:
When I first joined I didn't even know how to reply to specific posts

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
Hey ATX smash brothers, it's been forever since I've posted or let alone been interested in smashing in tourneys. I played a lot before the turn of the decade. I'm here in Waco, and I came up with a bit of an idea:

I have access to a good sized warehouse in downtown waco that is quite literally on interstate 35. There's lots of electrical outlets and sufficient power to run a tourney here. Would Austin be interested in me organizing something if we also got the interest of the DFW community (seeing as how I am just 100 miles away from both areas)?

We have abundant space and the building itself is a bit older, with an ancient brick wall that lends itself to a neat atmosphere. Less than 1/2 mile away there is a smorgasbord of restaurants (McDonalds, Wendy's, Taco Bell, Sonic, Fazolis, Whataburger, Subway, etc...).

Help me gauge y'all's interest in this,
thanks

Mark Raquepo

Smash Rookie
Hey ATX smash brothers, it's been forever since I've posted or let alone been interested in smashing in tourneys. I played a lot before the turn of the decade. I'm here in Waco, and I came up with a bit of an idea:

I have access to a good sized warehouse in downtown waco that is quite literally on interstate 35. There's lots of electrical outlets and sufficient power to run a tourney here. Would Austin be interested in me organizing something if we also got the interest of the DFW community (seeing as how I am just 100 miles away from both areas)?

We have abundant space and the building itself is a bit older, with an ancient brick wall that lends itself to a neat atmosphere. Less than 1/2 mile away there is a smorgasbord of restaurants (McDonalds, Wendy's, Taco Bell, Sonic, Fazolis, Whataburger, Subway, etc...).

thanks
Ill talk the others about it. Thanks for the info!

Last edited:

Shiken

Smash Journeyman

thanks
That's funny, I thought I knew all the smashers in waco. Maybe I just don't recognize the forum handle =/

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Hey, guys! Xyro here. #TGC is just 8 days away! Are you excited? You should be because if the facebook event page is any indication of turnout, we may have 200 or more people sign up for smash WiiU. This means that TGC will have many new people attend Texas largest SmashWiiU tournament series. New people that many not know how I run events or how to help make this event the best event it can be. So let me take a moment and tell you a few things that will help me help you get the most out of TGC on Feb 28th.

1. Bring a full setup (WiiU/Smash4/TV). The more setups we have at TGC, the more matches we all can play and the faster the event will be completed. If you cannot bring a full setup, I request that you please bring any equipment that you can because anything will help. For the first 10 people that bring a full setup, you will get half your venue fee back. Anyone else that brings a full setup after the 10 will get a free drink. LOL if someone bring two full setups, ill buy you lunch.

2. Be punctual. Though none of you have to be at the venue by 9am like I do (however if you wanna be there at 9am you can) I do request that you be there by 10am. I say 10am because registration lines will be very long and you will need that time to register/hook up WiiU&TV/practice because on the tournament starts, there will be no more friendlies/money matches/registration.

2a. If you would like to make registration go faster, here are ways to help out. Show up to the venue early as possible. Furthermore, please already know which events you would like to enter when you walk up to me. Also, if you plan on doing 2vs2 smash, please stand in the registration line with your partner so yall can sign up together. One final thing, if possible, please pay with $1 or 5$ bills and have your money out and ready to be handed over when signing up for events. I take all forms of paper money but I prefer $1 and $5 bills so that I will not have to make change and I can pay the players out faster at the end of the night.

3. Due to the possibility of very high attendance, I have removed the 128 man cap. Having said that, I will be implementing a strict policy when it comes to disqualifications. When I call your name to go play a match, you have 5min to report to the TV that I have sent you to. If you do not show up to the TV within 5 min, you will be disqualified and sent to loser bracket. I know this may sound harsh but I need people to pay attention to my voice and I need this huge event to finish by 12am.

4. For more information on events, fees, rules, housing, times and anything TGC related, please go to the SmashBoards thread http://smashboards.com/threads/feb-...-200-pot-bonus-for-smash-4-houston-tx.384812/ or the Facebook event page https://www.facebook.com/events/1033314033352371/

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
Too many. I think they cap entry at 48 cause there isn't enough space and time .

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Gonna make this short and sweet because I'm tired and depressed.
So basically, I fell deeply in love with a girl and she loved me back. I thought I treated her like a queen and went to great lengths to make her happy, going so far as to change careers to have a better future with her. She dumped me on the 18th, right before I was set to start. Now I'm working from 4 A.M. through the afternoon Mon-Fri, so smashfests Sunday and Monday evening are no longer an option for me.
I might start going to the monthly to hang out and play, but IDK.

Last edited:

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
Damn, that sucks. Definitely come to the monthlies and hang out though, it'll make you feel better hopefully.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Gonna make this short and sweet because I'm tired and depressed.
So basically, I fell deeply in love with a girl and she loved me back. I thought I treated her like a queen and went to great lengths to make her happy, going so far as to change careers to have a better future with her. She dumped me on the 18th, right before I was set to start. Now I'm working from 4 A.M. through the afternoon Mon-Fri, so smashfests Sunday and Monday evening are no longer an option for me.
I might start going to the monthly to hang out and play, but IDK.
I had a wife and we had a child. She cheated on me (we were together for 6 years) and i lost everything (house, rights to see my kid any time i want, money....etc). I even put her through school! All of it was a massive waste that left me pretty F-ed up for a long while.

Though your situation isn't as bad as mine, its still heart crushing at best. Some times you probably dont want to wake up in the morning because it reminds you of the reality in which you live in. A reality without her. It ****ing sucks. So the advice i am going to give you wont see like it would work but i GUARANTEE it will. You don't have to take it by any means.
l
l
l
l
V

1. Cut her out of your life completely. Block her on Social media, erase all pictures, take her off your smart phone, block her email address, dont call or text her, dont drive to her work/house/school. Pretend she never existed. The less you are reminded of her, the faster you can move on.

2. Time heals all. Its a stupid ass cliche that i am sure you have heard a 1000000000 times but i swear on everything that is holy that it really does heal. Its been 3 years since my (ex)wife cheated and now i can look back and honestly not be angry/sad about it. I mean, i hate the w.h.o.r.e for breaking up a family and causing a child to grow up in that broken family but i don't shed tears and i don't get pissed off about it when i think about her. 365 days x3 did that for me.

3. Focus on you. Get out there and work on school, get a job, play smash and stay surrounded by friends/family. Even when you feel down in the dumps and you do not want to do anything, keep doing stuff. No, it wont heal you but itt keeps your mind/body active so that you wont rot in depression/regret/anger.

I know we dont ever talk aside from the few times you fukcing threw pikmin at me but if you wish to talk or if things get worse, please PM/message me or SOMEONE. You are not alone.

Last edited:

PantyRaider08

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry to hear that Shaun, but he's right. As time goes by you will feel a lot better. I promise. IM not gonna lie to you though. You're going to be soul crushed in the early stages but continue to keep busy. I can't repeat this enough. KEEP BUSY! Also have company around you and gather support from your family and friends. It happens to just about everyone man. You're not alone.

On another note, I'm going to come to the monthly tomorrow. What time do I have to be there before they cap and do they do doubles and singles or just singles?

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
On another note, I'm going to come to the monthly tomorrow. What time do I have to be there before they cap and do they do doubles and singles or just singles?
The monthly isn't until the 21st. Tomorrow is the weekly at Dragon's Lair. They cap it at 48 people and it's only singles, but usually they have a few set-ups for friendlies.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Kind of embarrassed about writing that now. It was late and I was really depressed. ><
Thank you, though!
Damn, that sucks. Definitely come to the monthlies and hang out though, it'll make you feel better hopefully.
This monthly actually falls on my birthday, but I might go to it anyway. ^^
1. Cut her out of your life completely. Block her on Social media, erase all pictures, take her off your smart phone, block her email address, dont call or text her, dont drive to her work/house/school. Pretend she never existed. The less you are reminded of her, the faster you can move on.
Really hard, but I've already been doing this. She did me the favor of removing me from most things we did together online, so I'm just working on tossing things/deleting pics.

2. Time heals all. Its a stupid *** cliche that i am sure you have heard a 1000000000 times but i swear on everything that is holy that it really does heal. Its been 3 years since my (ex)wife cheated and now i can look back and honestly not be angry/sad about it. I mean, i hate the w.h.o.r.e for breaking up a family and causing a child to grow up in that broken family but i don't shed tears and i don't get pissed off about it when i think about her. 365 days x3 did that for me.
You're a stronger man than I. It's good to hear that you were able to soothe your anger and sadness, especially when your situation was so horrible.

3. Focus on you. Get out there and work on school, get a job, play smash and stay surrounded by friends/family. Even when you feel down in the dumps and you do not want to do anything, keep doing stuff. No, it wont heal you but itt keeps your mind/body active so that you wont rot in depression/regret/anger.
Already on this. With working, helping manage a guild, and playing Smash/MH4U, I've been getting only something like four hours of sleep.
Also spending all the money I had saved for her. Just bought a New 3DS today. ^^

I know we dont ever talk aside from the few times you fukcing threw pikmin at me
Thanks for reminding me of the good times. :3
Seriously though, feel free to slap the poop out of my Oli next time we meet for justice. I'm 70% certain whatever character you play now has a decent/good matchup against Oli.

but if you wish to talk or if things get worse, please PM/message me or SOMEONE. You are not alone.
Thank you, Xyro. You're a good man and a great representative of the community.

I'm sorry to hear that Shaun, but he's right. As time goes by you will feel a lot better. I promise. IM not gonna lie to you though. You're going to be soul crushed in the early stages but continue to keep busy. I can't repeat this enough. KEEP BUSY! Also have company around you and gather support from your family and friends. It happens to just about everyone man. You're not alone.

Thanks, buddy. ^^
I hear you run a nasty-as-hell Ganon now. When am I gonna get to play it/camp it/probably get read and FSmashed by it?

Last edited:

PantyRaider08

Smash Journeyman
The monthly isn't until the 21st. Tomorrow is the weekly at Dragon's Lair. They cap it at 48 people and it's only singles, but usually they have a few set-ups for friendlies.
What time do they start and how early should I get there? Dont want to drive there only to get told I can't play.

@Shaun I try and go to the weeklys at dragons lair so o could catch you there or we could play online. Need your nintendo ID again.

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
What time do they start and how early should I get there? Dont want to drive there only to get told I can't play.

@Shaun I try and go to the weeklys at dragons lair so o could catch you there or we could play online. Need your nintendo ID again.
Registration starts at 7, so be there before then, maybe earlier.

edit: if you bring a set-up you're guaranteed to get in.

Last edited:

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
looks like top two at that tourney was "funny" and "magik"... good to see unfamiliar faces in the brackets. sorry i couldnt go.

PantyRaider08

Smash Journeyman
I went to the tourney and had some fun today, but I don't know if my competitive drive for smash is there anymore.... Hard to get any real practice in, and I just think the game needs so much more to be really competivie. I just don't think it's really worth investing time into it. At least not for me. I would have much rathered play friendlies with everyone to be honest.

@Magik How did you end up doing?

Magik0722

Smash Champion
@Magik How did you end up doing?
I ended up taking it. I enjoyed all the close games i had. Funny's reaction speed is too godlike. I felt like i was playing against the flash. Sorry to whoever it was that wanted to play friendlies with me. We just finished our 5 hour drive over here / finished a 12 hour shift. Ill gladly play you next week or even sooner if theres anywhere in to meet up.

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
@ BloodyBoom BloodyBoom , how do you deal with people that are right on top of you as Falcon? I usually jab1 but then I get grabbed or something.

Last edited:

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
Well itll be the last time since i live here now.
tiiight dude. i'm starting to host some smashfests at my place, pretty small but would be cool to meet you. i'm having to miss a bunch of tourneys this week due to various other things.

do you play street fighter at all? i run street fighter tourneys on tuesdays at arcade ufo, but after they're done you can play for free + i've been thinking of bringing a WiiU setup for ppl interested in smash. some ppl in the scene are interested, like joe martinez if you met him yesterday.

anyway yeah, if you have facebook, https://www.facebook.com/groups/AustinSmash4/?ref=bookmarks
main smash 4 group, has most every tourney

if you live close to campus, this group hosts smash4 and projectM on weekends on campus
https://www.facebook.com/groups/UTSmash/?ref=bookmarks
i help run the smash4 side, but i will be missing this saturday. however, we are trying customs, hope it runs smoothly.

Top Bottom