• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Austin Smash 4 Thread - Weeklies are now at OOPLES!

BloodyBoom

Smash Cadet
NNID
davidianyo
I remember. After all, you're the only other person who plays Snake and you're good haha.

How'd you get so good? Did you play wifi?
Yeah lots of wi-fi and just trying random stuff I guess. Haven't played tho since like April lol

And I'm just gonna not ask about that video.

ZestE

Smash Cadet
Nice, I'm happy to hear about a lot of prospective events. I can definitely have more relaxed just chill smash times at my place (I have 2 TVs we're allowed to use), but I can't set up anything with more than 8 players. It'd be a lot of practice play.
It seems like the Austin group is very Brawl oriented, which is perfectly fine by me. I would like to get some Project M practice in if anyone plays it though

Mike2

Smash Ace
I'd be willing to play Project M with you. Mind you I've never played before haha. But I'm trying to branch off into new games.

ZestE

Smash Cadet
Anyone down to Smash today? Only day off this week. I'm down to play any Smash bros (except 64, no offense)

Shiken

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I've got some good news!

I've spent some time over the past couple weeks scouting out venues for hosting SmashU tournaments at once it releases, because hell yes I'll be getting back into being a TO and I really hope we can put Austin back on the map for competitive smash, rather than just Dallas and SA running everything.

So far I've found 1 very promising location, it's called Mothership, and it's located near parmer and metric, right next to a bitchin BBQ place. They're mostly a tabletop venue with some LAN setups, but they've got a lot of open space and tables to use, and after speaking to management they seem pretty down for hosting for us. Now, the place isn't huge, but it should definitely serve for small to mid-size tournaments just fine, if we outgrow the place I'll be looking into bigger and better places (altho they might not be free).

Granted, SmashU's release is still pretty far off, but if there's enough interest (like, say, at least 16 entrants?) I could definitely see about setting up a trial run at the venue using either Brawl or PM. Can I get a hype check? If you'd be interested, post with which version you'd prefer to see, and what day / starting time you'd be able to attend, as well as if you could bring any setups. Post on behalf of others if you know they'd show as well but don't have an account here.

Last edited:

Mike2

Smash Ace
That's awesome! What kind of tv/monitors do we want? (I mean when smash 4 hits)

I'm down for PM in the meantime. I think it will draw more ppl too.

I'll have days open Friday-Sunday.

Last edited:

BloodyBoom

Smash Cadet
NNID
davidianyo
Hey guys, I've got some good news!

I've spent some time over the past couple weeks scouting out venues for hosting SmashU tournaments at once it releases, because hell yes I'll be getting back into being a TO and I really hope we can put Austin back on the map for competitive smash, rather than just Dallas and SA running everything.

So far I've found 1 very promising location, it's called Mothership, and it's located near parmer and metric, right next to a *****in BBQ place. They're mostly a tabletop venue with some LAN setups, but they've got a lot of open space and tables to use, and after speaking to management they seem pretty down for hosting for us. Now, the place isn't huge, but it should definitely serve for small to mid-size tournaments just fine, if we outgrow the place I'll be looking into bigger and better places (altho they might not be free).

Granted, SmashU's release is still pretty far off, but if there's enough interest (like, say, at least 16 entrants?) I could definitely see about setting up a trial run at the venue using either Brawl or PM. Can I get a hype check? If you'd be interested, post with which version you'd prefer to see, and what day / starting time you'd be able to attend, as well as if you could bring any setups. Post on behalf of others if you know they'd show as well but don't have an account here.
Project: M in general has a substantially larger active community at least around Austin if I'm correct(/me if I'm wrong). At least, I believe it would at least attract some of the large melee community from UT and perhaps other stragglers that play Melee/PM. Perhaps a PM main event with a Brawl side event would work, seeing how the amount of active brawl players seem to consist of <16 individuals in contrast to the Melee army.

Oh, and weekends work for me.

Last edited:

Grime.

Smash Apprentice

Shiken

Smash Journeyman
Interesting, didn't know there were that many pm enthusiasts in austin. If I get a date secured for an upcoming weekend for a PM tourny at mothership, could I ask you to spread the word to them as well?

skwaag5233

Smash Cadet
I'll be moving to Austin 8/23 and I would definitely be down for some Brawl action since there's no scene in DFW.

PM would also be a go for me.

Grime.

Smash Apprentice
@ Shiken Shiken Yeah man last two we have had 42 people, tomorrow some players from SA will be attending. If you decide to throw one ill be sure to tell the community

Shiken

Smash Journeyman
Alright, sounds like we can expect a pretty decent turnout. I'll get in contact with the venue and start working on a date, looks like I'll tentatively plan for a 16-32 man turnout. Since this will just be a trial run for the venue, I'd like to try and keep our time usage on the lower side so if we get over 16, I'll make it single elim, 16 or under will be double as usual.
It would be good if I could confirm at least 4 setups for this, I can provide 1 if someone hooks me up with the stuff for P:M (I've lost my + and - SD cards so I needa start from scratch).

Edit: groupme link for later: https://groupme.com/join_group/9236478/7RMawT

Last edited:

Mike2

Smash Ace
Bloodyboom, skwaag, ZestE, and anybody else who would like to join, would you mind posting your numbers or PM'ing them to me? I can add you to the Austin Groupme. It's a chat room that the Austin scene can talk in using texting. This way everyone doesn't need to exchange numbers.

Last edited:

Shiken

Smash Journeyman
Alright guys, I just got word back and it looks like we are go! Initial details below:
  • Place: Mothership
  • Date: Sunday, August 9th
  • Times
    • Setup: 12:30 (Please show up at this time or earlier if you are bringing a setup!)
    • Final Entry Time: 1:20 (Only exceptions will be if Byes are available during Round 1)
    • Start: 1:30 at the latest
  • Game: Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Project Melee version)
  • Style: Single Elimination
  • Entrants: 32 maximum, spots can be reserved here in the thread if you know you will be attending, just say so here.
  • Entry: $3
  • Payout: 70/20/10
  • Setups: Above time estimates are based on having at least 4 confirmed stations. I will be providing one and a half setups, so that means I need 2.5 more confirmed setups, please contact me by cell (2547224365) if you can provide either a full or partial setup.
  • Some notes, if we end up having more than 4 setups I'll likely remove the cap on entrants, just since this is our first tourny at the venue I want to make sure we don't run over on time, they host MTG tournaments here and will need the tables (or at least the majority of them) clear by 6pm. This is also why we're doing Single Elimination for now. I'll also be rather strict on starting matches on time for this same reason.

In other news, I have started a GroupMe chat for Austin players, which you can join by going to this link. There is a mobile app for the chat, which lets us all communicate there without everyone knowing everyone else's numbers. I will also be making a chat in the same app for people that plan to bring setups to this and future tournaments for easy communication. Probably the most important note about groupme though, is if you are going to use it, please locate the mute feature for your use when the inevitable spam happens xD

Edit: Here's the actual thread for tournament, neato didn't know we had these now on smashboards
http://smashboards.com/threads/aug-9-2014-shikens-skirmishes-β-austin-tx.362559/

Last edited:

Shiken

Smash Journeyman
Blech doublepost due to people not posting but anyways, I had a meeting today with the venue to finalize details and they're pretty excited for it. They even asked me if I'd like to turn it into a weekly thing, to which I said I'd consider it. TBH I don't know if I wanna commit to EVERY week, but I can definitely see biweeklies being possible. That being said, we already have a strong weekly PM group in austin so I'd rather not step on any toes there, so if we make this a regular biweekly thing at mothership, prior to SmashU's launch we'd need to run either Brawl, or possibly Brawl+ / Brawl-? I'd personally love to see some casual Brawl- tournaments just to have fun, but the only thing I'd be concerned about would be turnout.

Last edited:

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
After being in two other gaming communities for a while now, I've come to realize that smashers can be SO WHINY.

Also, I'm bowing out until Smash 4 releases. Not fond of Brawl+. See y'all in October!

Mike2

Smash Ace
There's already rumors that Metaknight is going to be the only character who can wavedash.

Last edited:

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Sooooo many characters I want to try in Smash 4 now. I might end up maining more than one.
Y'all hyped for anyone?

What's all this about then? :o
Oh, I was just pissed about a few things I had reread. Pay my comment no mind.

Last edited:

skwaag5233

Smash Cadet
I probably won't get Smash 4. i don't have a Wii U so I would be dropping $300+ for the WiiU + about $50 or $60 for the game. I'll just play it at my friends' houses.

I'm looking to play Lucina and Rosalina though. And maybe Shulk.

Mike2

Smash Ace
I will be playing... EVERYONE. Actually nobody in particular looks interesting to me. Lol I'll play random until I find somebody I like. I was looking forward to playing Marth, but apparently he's a lot slower.

Please watch. Whoever created this game is a genius. Lol

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
I have to main dark pit cuz of a stupid facebook post I made back when lucina was announced and I'm not allowed to ***** out ;-;

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member

Hey guys, its Xyro, legendary TO of the HOBO/WHOBO series and best USA Brawl Samus! Smash 4 is right around the corner and ive decided to announce my our tournament series "Texas Gaming Championships" or TGC for short. With this new series, the focus wont be solely on smash but rather many other Nintendo games as well. For now, i am offering Smash 4 on 3ds (WiiU will be added once its out), Mario Kart 8 and Pokemon X&Y but more games will be added as the series evolves.

The 1st event, The Road to TGC, is on November 1st here in Houston (Tx) at a familiar venue but will offer a combo i've never tried before. Free food and a $0 venue fee! This event is a pilot into our new TGC series and i want to try many new things, TO wise, so please come on out and enjoy the new series that will bring Tx back to its former "top 4 states in the usa for smash" status.

SWF tournament page
http://smashboards.com/threads/nov-...ouston-texas-free-venue-and-free-food.366489/

Facebook event page
https://www.facebook.com/events/1464546770489796

Last edited:

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
his pocket is just like olimar's whistle, except it can absorb like any attack and reflect it as well as make you invincible.

whose idea was this

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
download da demo.

It's basically faster brawl with alot of mechanic changes.
Pretty much this.

his pocket is just like olimar's whistle, except it can absorb like any attack and reflect it as well as make you invincible.

whose idea was this
SAKURAI'S IDEA.

Also, I cannot wait for custom controls. After years of using Z to grab and L to shield, this "L to grab, R to shield" crap is REALLY throwing me off. :<

EDIT: Aaaand after seeing videos of Duck Hunt Dog in action, I might comain him with Oli. That's just goddamned adorable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom