• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Austin Smash 4 Thread - Weeklies are now at OOPLES!

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I can't go tomorrow. Have to go do Father's Day stuff early since my dad's busy on Sunday. :<

Shiken

Smash Journeyman
I don't think I'm gonna go... the experience on wednesday really bummed me out. only 1 setup, 4-5 minutes of playtime, and a 3-4 hour line... nothx.

BloodyBoom

Smash Cadet
NNID
davidianyo
On Wednesday at Cedar Park, there were over 200 people waiting. The line drew a perimeter all the way around the store. Crazy stuff.

VentureJ

Smash Rookie
On Wednesday at Cedar Park, there were over 200 people waiting. The line drew a perimeter all the way around the store. Crazy stuff.
I was there, too. It was definitely kinda rough, and I didn't really feel like waiting that long to play for such a short time. I ended up just hanging out at the washer/dryer section and watching the games people played. THAT was fun, too.

Mike2

Smash Ace
Did you like the game?

And srsly guys? Nobody interested in playing? I'm jonesing to play more. Need a break from these classes and thirsting fer dat dere competition. If not, I'm willing to wifi someone -oh wait-

Last edited:

BloodyBoom

Smash Cadet
NNID
davidianyo
Did you like the game?

And srsly guys? Nobody interested in playing? I'm jonesing to play more. Need a break from these classes and thirsting fer dat dere competition. If not, I'm willing to wifi someone -oh wait-
Nah friends and I bailed lol but we just watched for a while. It looks pretty similar to Brawl in terms of overall graphics and whatnot but the engine definitely looks faster. The stages were pretty cool. We talked to this security guard and he knew a lot about the stages and where the hazards and designs came from in the game. Pretty cool guy.

I'd be willing to play, have some plans here and there but some free time too.

Mike2

Smash Ace
Nah friends and I bailed lol but we just watched for a while. It looks pretty similar to Brawl in terms of overall graphics and whatnot but the engine definitely looks faster. The stages were pretty cool. We talked to this security guard and he knew a lot about the stages and where the hazards and designs came from in the game. Pretty cool guy.

I'd be willing to play, have some plans here and there but some free time too.
Yea, same haha. We got there when it started and the line was ridiculous. We waited an hour and the line moved like 10ft. We realized we wouldn't get to play till like 9pm, if at all.

And I would like to play here and there too.

VentureJ

Smash Rookie
Apparently, it wasn't as bad on Saturday (which I intentionally didn't go to, expecting it to be worse), so it sucks that I missed out on that opportunity.

BloodyBoom

Smash Cadet
NNID
davidianyo
Apparently, it wasn't as bad on Saturday (which I intentionally didn't go to, expecting it to be worse), so it sucks that I missed out on that opportunity.
Wow seriously? I was expecting it to be worse too. I was busy anyway but that's a shame ://///

Mike2

Smash Ace
Dang. Yes, I figured it would be way worse on Saturday. That combined with the fact that I wasn't TOO hyped for the game made me pass.

Has anyone in Austin actually played it? haha

F-Tier Player

Smash Ace
Hello Austin-ites! I just moved here from the 806 (Lubbock) area and want to know how active this group is? PM? Brawl? Melee?

Hope we can hang sometime! Ok cool!

Mike2

Smash Ace
Hello Austin-ites! I just moved here from the 806 (Lubbock) area and want to know how active this group is? PM? Brawl? Melee?

Hope we can hang sometime! Ok cool!
Hello!
This thread is for brawl in Austin. The melee guys talk in another thread. Things are kind of slow right now, so we haven't been doing much lately. But they will pick up when Smash 4 comes out.

BloodyBoom

Smash Cadet
NNID
davidianyo
True. You guys have driven me to play Magic the Gathering for my competitive fix. I hope you're happy.
Dang getting thirsty for that competition. I'd go I just don't wanna be the only guy there or something and have it be awkward lol

Mike2

Smash Ace
Dang getting thirsty for that competition. I'd go I just don't wanna be the only guy there or something and have it be awkward lol
Haha nah it's cool. I just hope the final product for Smash 4 is decent, because I'm looking forward to tournaments.

Shiken

Smash Journeyman
Haha nah it's cool. I just hope the final product for Smash 4 is decent, because I'm looking forward to tournaments.
The bare minimum SmashU needs to be more enjoyable than Brawl and competitive enough for me to play is to take out tripping. which theyve done. so everything else could be identical at this point and i'd still be happy.

Mike2

Smash Ace
The bare minimum SmashU needs to be more enjoyable than Brawl and competitive enough for me to play is to take out tripping. which theyve done. so everything else could be identical at this point and i'd still be happy.
True. And I'll always attend smashfests if I can. And Like everyone else I'll go to tournaments at the beginning. But if the game is too close to brawl, in actuality I might not do the whole tournament thing for it down the line. I'll probably just play for fun. It kind of feels like a "been there. Don't that" type of thing. If the game is too defensive, then I've decided I won't try to get good at it. There's so many good game to invest time in to. Why do it for a game where the creator doesn't even like the competitive scene and it shows in his product?

Last edited:

PantyRaider08

Smash Journeyman
Don't worry I'm all about that competitive mtg. What format you playing atm? Standard, draft, modern? Also I will finally be free this weekend, so I would like to play. Past few weddings went to mtg PTQs and weddings.

Mike2

Smash Ace
Nah.
Good joke, and do you ever play at Pat's Games?
Nah. I've just been playing online. But Its been my go to game whenever I have free time. I'm really enjoying it and I'll make the switch to IRL pretty soon. I'll probably play draft because I barely have any cards.

PantyRaider08

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I would stick to drafting to build up your collection. You should come draft in SM sometime. And if you are to play in Austin, I'd go to Pat's games to get a lot better or Juniors if you want a casual crowd. Dragon's Lair is also a casual crowd.

Mike2

Smash Ace
I'll probably go to Junior's for a while since it's right here next to my house. I used to go there every weekend between the ages of 10-14 when I was really into CCGs. Does the Asian lady and Henry still work there? I used to go there and Purple Cactus(RIP) in San Antonio. So do you play the game seriously?

I'll probably get into League as well. Shiken is going to help me build a PC either later this year or early next year.

Those 2 games(or any other good PC games I have yet to think about) and SSFIV(for my fighting game fix) will probably be my main games unless Smash 4 is randomly really good competitively. Been practicing SSFIV on a stick lately.

Last edited:

Mike2

Smash Ace
I'll check both out. Why dota over league?

What games have you been playing a lot of lately? Or you been really busy with work and school?

Last edited:

PantyRaider08

Smash Journeyman
In basic terms. Lol is brawl and Dota is melee. Dota 2 is a lot more competitive, but atm Lol has a bigger player base. Although, that will prob change soon since this huge tournament for 10 million is happening in a month for dota.

Mike2

Smash Ace
In basic terms. Lol is brawl and Dota is melee. Dota 2 is a lot more competitive, but atm Lol has a bigger player base. Although, that will prob change soon since this huge tournament for 10 million is happening in a month for dota.
Nice. But does dota have enough players? One of the reasons I want to play the games I mentioned is because I'm tired of playing dead games. lol

Last edited:

PantyRaider08

Smash Journeyman
Guess you didn't read the 10 million dollar tourney part. That is the largest prize pool in esports history. 10 MILLION....that is more than what most sports events pay out excluding major gold or tennis tournaments. Also Dota 2 has a ton of people, but Lol has more because they appeal to new players and tend to be noob friendly. While Dota2 has a higher learning curve and is more difficult to master. And sometimes Dota2 has more viewers on twitch than LoL but only sometimes. Plus LoL exists because of dota.

Last edited:

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
that comparison made no sense. melee has an infinitely higher player base than brawl, and league is insanely popular compared to dota which you have to be korean to even have a chance of being good at (it being harder to play was accurate).

League is super simple to get into and if you've never played a moba you should play it over dota or you'll just hate yourself.

also that prize pool isn't gonna matter much when about 98% of the dota community isn't even good enough to play for it

Last edited:
Top Bottom