• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide The Advanced How To Play Video (AHTP)

-Zangetsu-

BRoomer
BRoomer
Its posts like this, that makes smash boards and the people who are apart of it soo good. Thank you for making this.

(SOMEONE F***** STICKY THIS!!!)

Infil

Smash Journeyman
Well done, Wak. I'm showing this video to some friends who are trying to learn Melee, and who don't know what wavedashing is. Forum explanations can only do so much. I particularly liked how you showed the Young Link example of WD and the Falcon example for SHFFLing. People need to see how powerful this stuff is in practice. I highly recommend you continue this trend in your future videos.

If I could offer one piece of advice, I would recommend you show more of the on-screen controls. I loved how you showed that with SHFFLing, where you slowed down/paused the video and then said "Short Hop", and "Fast-fall", so people know what's going on. It might have been a good idea to do that for wavedashing (ie, pause the video after you jump, and then say "now air-dodge here!") or something. It probably makes more work for you, but it's more helpful to your target audience.

So, in short, in your future videos, I would have a practical example for each technique, in addition to breaking things down like you did for SHFFLing.

Still, though, excellent video. You're certainly making something the community desperately needs.

Also, what was the music in the background? I saw it was asked earlier and someone said it was an OCR of Zelda, but I could have sworn you used two different songs... one sounded strangely like Infected Mushroom. Can you give us the titles of these? Thanks.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
very nice vid by the way, anyway to my point. I don't know if you had this in future video plans or not but could you possibly add something to do with edges prefriabley edge attacks from grappled edge state I seem to be having trouble with that. keep up the good work and what not.

ArieCrow

Smash Rookie
what a dam n good video, i was always looking for a video like this. :bigthumbu :bigthumbu :bigthumbu

i'm really looking forward to the next episode!

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
Examples are always the best things because it gives people who see the vid views of how useful the techniques can be, the breaking down bit was also great saying what's happening as it goes. Keep awesome music in it and keep it funny it keeps you attention, also some bits went really well in time to the music (the bowser l-cancel moves bit).

Thanks to whoever told the name of the song.

Ogawatugawa

Smash Rookie
ArieCrow said:
what a **** good video, i was always looking for a video like this. :bigthumbu :bigthumbu :bigthumbu

i'm really looking forward to the next episode!

I really can't see what goes into the **** bit, but thats just me...

Jill Valentine

Smash Apprentice
This really is a fantastic video! I'm surprised it took as long as it did for someone to do something so conveniant for newcomers as this.

Congrats, again, and I'm definately looking forward to checking out the next parts of you video!

Zander805

Smash Ace
Wak, this is looking really good so far. I'm excited for the rest to come out so I can show all my friends who are too lazy to learn advanced techs. Grats! ^^

Sensai

Smash Master
Ogawatugawa said:
I really can't see what goes into the **** bit, but thats just me...
The Daymn word.

And he said that all the other videos will be released at the same time, and since they're not all done...I assume it'll be a while.

Xelyst

-_-
Very well put together Wak.

The second track you used was a track from a FD matchup (Azen (Fox) vs Ken (Falcon)). Whats the name of that sexi track son ^^ or did you rip it off the video?

Dragonfangs

Smash Rookie
Very well done, very professional. Though I can't say it helped me in any way, but then again, I know how to do that shiz. But I can say that I probably would've learned a lot faster with the aid of this video. A visual really helps, both to see the timing of how to do it and to know if you're doing it correctly.

Keep up the good work Wak, looking forward to the remaining parts.

The Bino

Smash Lord
yo no complaints on this vid at all, i thought it was a good idea from the beginnin and seein the 1st part just makes me confirm what i said b4... WAK yo the time you spent into this will aid the smash community with more competition later down the road, up til and even after the release of the new smash

mkmelee

Smash Lord
Wow... You really handled it well, and although I already knew everything, it was awesome watching it being taught so well. Great job. Good luck with the rest of the project. Good choice for the music too. Used my favourite LoZ remix.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
WOW this vid's great, I'll send it to my cousin Gamemaniac 'cause he's aware of the techs but underestimates their ability, eventhough I beat him constantly.

Keep 'em coming!

................later

stewie91

Smash Apprentice
Nice vid! I finlly learned when to L-Cancel. I already knew the other stuff but it was great nonetheless. Keep up the good work and I'm looking forward to part 2!

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
McRustyJr said:
forgive me for being technical, but im just wondering, is this actual an official guide of smashboards or did u just put it there :p
I call it official because I spend more than a day on it, not like every other HTP vids >___________> (this vid not only appear on this board btw)

Zack353

Smash Ace
Nice vid. You really explained the techniques well and showed the uses nicely.

However, I noticed one little slip. You said it's possible to L cancel every A attack.. and well.. it's not :p.

TheCatPhysician

Smash Ace
Oh man, this video is going to help me so much. I have a friend that wants to get into Smash, and he simply can't wavedash. For some reason, he jumps and airdodges at the same time. I keep explaining over and over that you do them seperately. This is how it goes when he tries to wavedash:

Him: [jumps and airdodges at the same time, about five times in a row resulting in full hops]
Me: Okay, remember what I said last time: slow it down a bit.
Him: K.
Him: [thinks for a few seconds]
Him: [does the EXACT same thing as last time]

And then the process just keeps cycling until he gets frustrated.

But this video showed a really good way of learning the timing of the airdodge, thanks alot. And hopefully this will work.

Also, nice selection of music. The first song is one of my favorite OCReMixes. I liked how Bowser's shuffling part went along with the song really well.

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Zack353 said:
Nice vid. You really explained the techniques well and showed the uses nicely.

However, I noticed one little slip. You said it's possible to L cancel every A attack.. and well.. it's not :p.
yeah, there's an exception... GW's back air and up air, anyway it's not necessary to say it ...

lol, yeah, people, at the beginning, never wavedash right XD

Sensai

Smash Master
Wak said:
yeah, there's an exception... GW's back air and up air, anyway it's not necessary to say it ...
I KNEW that G/W was odd like that! Sorry, just expelling the inter-noob from within.

I guess I should show this to my friends who CAN'T do all of it, rather than the ones who can.

ThundaSnake

Smash Apprentice
Yeah...it seems like L/R/Z-Cancelling was a fully intended feature, along with short-hopping and fast-falling. To me, the only thing that seems unintended was wavedashing :eek:

At any rate, that video is amazing. You should make the training videos for Super Smash Bros. Brawl!!

Sensai

Smash Master
Somebody said:
dont know if anyone has already said this or not b.c im too lazy to read all the posts but l-canceling wasnt unintentional.
Good try, but not completely...here's why:

(HISTORY LESSON!)

Cancelling lag animations from air moves was in Smash 64, but unintentionally. You can tell this because it cancels ALL the lag, and not just half of it. I.E., Link's Dair is a god of a move. The reason for this, as best as I understand it, is that the game attempts to bring up the shield and thus cuts through some of the lag animations.

So, it was unintentionally placed into the 64 version, but then modified and replaced into Melee.

I assume that this'll happen with WDing in Brawl: they'll chew it up, and spit it back out in a more refined version.

Top Bottom