• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"The Act of Balancing” Sakurai Famitsu Column Translation

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

Source Gaming has provided another excellent translation of an article from Sakurai in his latest Famitsu Article "The Act Of Balancing". With four translators working on the article including Masked Man, Soma, X Kan from Kantopia and PushDustIn it looks to be a very accurate translation. There are some controversial statements below, so buckle up and prepare to read! The original article can be found here.

---​

When it comes to Smash, every once in a while people will wrongly direct their anger towards me. They accuse me of things such as giving preference or strength to the characters that I’ve worked on in the past—in other words, the Kirby and Kid Icarus series characters. Oh my.

However, if I had worked on the Mario series, people would say, “You’re favoring Mario too much,” wouldn’t they? The same would hold true for Fire Emblem, Pokémon or Starfox. The truth is, though, I put a lot of work into all the characters. It’s a mix of labor, love, and fine tuning.

I mean, what could I possibly get out of only buffing the characters I’ve worked on? A sense of self-satisfaction? That’s simply not the case; after all, I’ve worked on all of these characters through Smash.

For example, there are two characters I can’t seem to get the hang of: Pit and Palutena. I personally feel those two are below average in terms of strength. If I further adjusted the game’s balance for myself, I would make them stronger, but that’s not what I’ve done.

And, given that I am still making adjustments little by little, I’d like to take this opportunity to discuss the act of balancing.

Generally speaking, the most important resource for balancing is the report we receive from the playtesting team. While the playtesters don’t ever appear in the spotlight, I’m confident they’re skilled enough to perform quite well in a tournament.

In addition to the playtesters’ daily impressions, the team also considers results from online battles, as well as opinions they find about characters on the Internet. Then, using all of this data, they propose balance adjustments.

Of course, I don’t approve all of their proposals right away. There’s no point in making the game more balanced if it decreases the fun factor. To give an extreme example, I could make all the characters perform similarly to Mario and achieve perfect balance. However, that probably wouldn’t be very fun at all. We work together by making adjustments while trying to preserve the characters’ individuality, then testing out the characters again. I consider all the data the playtesters collect on all the characters and eventually finalize the changes.

In other words, although I am the one making the final decisions, we are all trying to remain objective as possible. If I don’t agree with the playtesters’ opinion, then no adjustments will be made.

The playtesting team is only composed of several people. After all, truly skilled players are hard to come by. Moreover, playtesters have individual playstyles—as well as personal strengths and weaknesses—that will come out during the testing process.

Another problem we have to consider is that battles can take on many formats in Smash. There are moves that are completely useless in a 1v1 battle, but in a four-player free-for-all those moves might prove quite useful. Therefore, if I played only one kind of battle, the game would feel very slanted towards a particular style of play.

Furthermore, if I went with what is fair according to advanced players, the beginners wouldn’t be able to keep up. For example, Kirby’s Stone attack probably won’t hit a player above intermediate skill level, but if I made it more powerful, it would destroy beginners.

At the end of the day, I’m aiming for intermediately-skilled players to be able to properly enjoy the game. Fundamentally, my goal with Smash has been to create an “enjoyable party game”. If you want to enjoy thrilling tactical gameplay, you might be better suited for other 2D fighting games.

Recently, there was a tournament featuring the top Japanese and American players. In 1v1s, the natural tendency is to use low risk moves to gradually deal damage to the opponent. Smash attacks rarely came out, and the matches were prone to becoming long, drawn out affairs. When considering the variety of ways Smash can be played I think this is a waste, but the winner was certainly decided by skill.

Just as surely, people who play the game this way enjoy it from the bottom of their hearts, and make many friends playing this way. Because the game accommodates a wide variety of playstyles, it’s only natural that it captivates so many people in a variety of ways.

---​

SmashCapps always finds Sakurai's thoughts to be curious. To keep up with all of his writing antics follow him on Twitter.

Zebkeet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ivan_Revi_Adames
I feel that he was able to express his opinion in a way that anyone can understand. And even though the matches were drawn out at Choikagi (I think that's what it was called?) and that does seem uninteresting to most lower level players, I feel that I can have some sense of peace that his vision for smash isn't all casual.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
What does he mean by tactical gameplay? There's plenty of strategy in the game.

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
****ing tryhard competitive party gamers. Listen to Sakurai and turn items on high.

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
"Recently, there was a tournament featuring the top Japanese and American players. In 1v1s, the natural tendency is to use low risk moves to gradually deal damage to the opponent. Smash attacks rarely came out, and the matches were prone to becoming long, drawn out affairs. When considering the variety of ways Smash can be played I think this is a waste, but the winner was certainly decided by skill."

Competitive Smash doesn't have to look this way Sakurai.

ZomBiehn

Semi-Pro
NNID
ZomBiehnU
3DS FC
3153-5961-0908
Nice article, Cant hate the guy for trying to please the begginers - Pro's , I feel the game is on the right track as is, few updates and patches here and there every full moon to keep things new/fixed, I think he does a good job with the series

KingCasual

Smash Cadet
Now there's an idea: make everyone a Mario clone! That way the game will be irrefutably balanced! He's a genius!

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
Been playing Smash since 64 and have always been obsessed with it... It's because of Sakurai's determination to have each character feel unique. Your controller FEELS heavier when playing as Bowser or Ganondorf, and you feel light and free when you're Olimar or Jigglypuff. It's this that makes me love Smash... even if I'll never be great at Smash or ever win a tournament, I will always love playing it, win or lose.

I'm super happy, however, that there is a competitive community that keeps the game and the Smash community alive.

Last edited:

ParanoidAndroid

Smash Cadet
This makes clarifies a lot of "click bait" articles I've seen on multiple sites. Even a thread I've seen on this site.

Everything he's said in this article I pretty much understand and agree with.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Well he's not wrong about competitive Smash 4.

Also, Mario is so fun in Smash 4 lol i'd gladly have more of him.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
What a very...Sakurai point of view.

While I love the man dearly and have always been a massive fan of his work, I honestly do think that the next Smash game could benefit from a director with a different mindset. I understand and respect Sakurai's point of view, but I don't think that competitive and casual experiences are mutually exclusive, and that's what I'm getting from this.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
"Recently, there was a tournament featuring the top Japanese and American players. In 1v1s, the natural tendency is to use low risk moves to gradually deal damage to the opponent. Smash attacks rarely came out, and the matches were prone to becoming long, drawn out affairs. When considering the variety of ways Smash can be played I think this is a waste, but the winner was certainly decided by skill."

I wouldn't just blame Sakurai for that, the players are to blame too.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
LOL. Hey Sakurai, no one gives a **** about Kid Icarus' strength, it's how much freaking crap you put in Sm4sh.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

Assuming he's talking about APEX (why not just call it that?), he does have a point. I remember seeing a lot of boring, safe play. Don't get me wrong, playing it safe isn't a bad thing, but people were playing it too safe at times. Hell, the top tiers are pretty much top tier because they have options with minimal commitment.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Thanks @ LiteralGrill LiteralGrill for posting this!
Let @Aeris (MaskedMan) or me know if you have any questions about the translations. We worked really hard to be 110% accurate with this article, as it has huge ramifications for the competitive scene. If you want to read more translations check out Source Gaming!

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
I think sakurai is biased in that a series that has been going on for ... 30+ years like DONKEY KONG gets no NEW additional characters, but one new stage being their 5th best selling series of all time while kid icarus not only gets paletuna & dark pit, but a few new stages to go with it. And kid icarus is the 21st best selling Nintendo ip of all time. In terms of sales and amount of kid icarus content in smash there is definately some bias love somewhere for kid icarus in the development team. Donkey kong didn't even get a new assist trophy in smash. WUT! The bias lies in smash content rather than character buffing. : P Wario also got the same dry treatment DK got, and I'm not even a Wario fan.

Last edited:

incrediblej

Smash Apprentice
What a very...Sakurai point of view.

While I love the man dearly and have always been a massive fan of his work, I honestly do think that the next Smash game could benefit from a director with a different mindset. I understand and respect Sakurai's point of view, but I don't think that competitive and casual experiences are mutually exclusive, and that's what I'm getting from this.
I feel the same, casual players liked melee even though it was fast and there were people that were really good that they knew.
I've had casual friends that actually liked PM even though its a bit harder to handle compared to brawl or sm4sh.

But guys the only way to make sm4sh balanced is to do what brawl minus did everyone ridiculously strong

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
I wouldn't just blame Sakurai for that, the players are to blame too.
No. If the game allowed for more aggressive and offensive play to be more viable, then don't you think the best players in the world would be able to show that to be true? They don't play super aggressive because if you do in this game, you get wrecked hard.

For my personal input, I don't get why Sakurai thinks he has to "balance" the characters from a free-for-all standpoint. It's free for all! If his ideal smash match is one where literally ANYBODY can win, then why should he bother balancing the characters for those kinds of matches? Wouldn't it make more sense to go ahead and please the competitive crowd by only balancing in terms of 1v1 gameplay? The casual players who play free for all probably wouldn't tell the difference, so they'd still be happy. Competitive players would be happy. Literally everybody would be happy!

Sakurai still thinks that Smash cannot be both a completely casual game and completely competitive at the same time, and I think he's completely wrong. Also I hate when he tells us to go play other fighting games. What if we don't like fighting games where movement is limited to a small box, combos are painfully difficult to execute, and the learning curve is about as intimidating as a MOBA?

J.P

Smash Journeyman
NNID
3DS FC
2466-2692-8715
I think you missed a quotation mark at the beginnig of the article.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
No. If the game allowed for more aggressive and offensive play to be more viable, then don't you think the best players in the world would be able to show that to be true? They don't play super aggressive because if you do in this game, you get wrecked hard.

For my personal input, I don't get why Sakurai thinks he has to "balance" the characters from a free-for-all standpoint. It's free for all! If his ideal smash match is one where literally ANYBODY can win, then why should he bother balancing the characters for those kinds of matches? Wouldn't it make more sense to go ahead and please the competitive crowd by only balancing in terms of 1v1 gameplay? The casual players who play free for all probably wouldn't tell the difference, so they'd still be happy. Competitive players would be happy. Literally everybody would be happy!

Sakurai still thinks that Smash cannot be both a completely casual game and completely competitive at the same time, and I think he's completely wrong. Also I hate when he tells us to go play other fighting games. What if we don't like fighting games where movement is limited to a small box, combos are painfully difficult to execute, and the learning curve is about as intimidating as a MOBA?
No, I actually think they wouldn't. Case in point, Dabuz's Rosalina play. He exclusively plays her as a defensive character even though that's far from the optimal or most viable way to play as her. He simply plays that way because he prefers it. It's his natural playstyle, and has been since Brawl. However, because of this, other players play her like that too. This is how many of the top players think when using their characters.

And American players in general are really the main culprits of all of this bandwagoning and only using certain characters. In Japan and Europe, the scene is much more varied and there is much more interesting play and more variety in characters. There's more aggression and it gets results.

So no, the players are not perfect and without blame. Have you ever thought that maybe you are getting wrecked hard for playing aggressively because you simply can't play aggressively all that well?

Zoa

Smash Ace
So using laggy online matches and testers who don't seem to actively participate in tournaments as the ones to determine the balance of the cast? No wonder it's so messed up, and why I quit the game.

Yong Dekonk

Smash Apprentice
I think sakurai is biased in that a series that has been going on for ... 30+ years like DONKEY KONG gets no NEW additional characters, but one new stage being their 5th best selling series of all time while kid icarus not only gets paletuna & dark pit, but a few new stages to go with it. And kid icarus is the 21st best selling Nintendo ip of all time. In terms of sales and amount of kid icarus content in smash there is definately some bias love somewhere for kid icarus in the development team. Donkey kong didn't even get a new assist trophy in smash. WUT! The bias lies in smash content rather than character buffing. : P Wario also got the same dry treatment DK got, and I'm not even a Wario fan.
Kid Icarus content in Sm4sh probably also has a lot to do with Nintendo trying to promote the recent Kid Icarus games and please the fans. Donkey Kong and Wario are characters that Nintendo really doesn't care about anymore, unfortunately. Yes there was a DK and Wario game for Wii U but they were bland and half hearted.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Kid Icarus content in Sm4sh probably also has a lot to do with Nintendo trying to promote the recent Kid Icarus games and please the fans. Donkey Kong and Wario are characters that Nintendo really doesn't care about anymore, unfortunately. Yes there was a DK and Wario game for Wii U but they were bland and half hearted.

"Bland and half-hearted".

Jahnathan

Smash Cadet
Balancing is hard if you have to make the character's moves unique while referencing their games.
I totally agree with you, remember that one time where Samus started punching people with her arm cannon. Or who could forget the iconic scene in Twilight Princess where Ganondorf uses his magical flying kick. But honestly my personal favorite is when Princess Peach slapped Bowser's ass to the moon with a frying pan.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I totally agree with you, remember that one time where Samus started punching people with her arm cannon. Or who could forget the iconic scene in Twilight Princess where Ganondorf uses his magical flying kick. But honestly my personal favorite is when Princess Peach slapped Bowser's *** to the moon with a frying pan.
"Peach's frying pan is a weapon owned by Princess Peach, used by her in spin-off games.

It first appeared in Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars where it is purchasable from a Toad in Moleville inside Moleville's shop after defeating the Axem Rangers. It is strong and when used, her stats increase. It is also her most powerful weapon in the game."

Last edited:

Kwinston

Smash Cadet
NNID
KWINSTON
People always hate on Sakurai for dumb reasons. I feel like he handles most things he does really well and he expresses his opinion in a respectable way. I don't understand how you can hate on that. I hate how people wrongly criticize him. The guy knows what he is doing.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I totally agree with you, remember that one time where Samus started punching people with her arm cannon. Or who could forget the iconic scene in Twilight Princess where Ganondorf uses his magical flying kick. But honestly my personal favorite is when Princess Peach slapped Bowser's *** to the moon with a frying pan.
This is what we call "ignoring the bigger picture".

And getting stuff flat out wrong, on the Peach front.

Also doesn't Samus punch people in Other M?

Jahnathan

Smash Cadet

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
People always hate on Sakurai for dumb reasons. I feel like he handles most things he does really well and he expresses his opinion in a respectable way. I don't understand how you can hate on that. I hate how people wrongly criticize him. The guy knows what he is doing.
While I agree that many hate on him for no real reason, I also believe that he is not an infallible human being, and that he can and should be given criticism.

Critique is never a bad thing in and of itself.

NNID
MasterIcarus7
How many DK characters are seriously important all around for Nintendo. Seriously think about while not being a fanboy. How would the other DK characters play differently enough from DK or Diddy to be important. Sakurai looks for interesting characters, that have a unique history, like G & W. You sound like a kid for not realizing that "of-all time" doesn't match today. What was the last best-selling DK game, I can't remember. But, Kid Icarus was so important IT WAS THE 3DS' BEST SELLING GAME OF 2012, AND IN THE TOP TEN OF 2013. You sir are the one biased for thinking that a series that many people have forgotten about, and that isn't in the spotlight deserves a new character. And before you reply stating that DK is successful, look at its sales in Japan before you talk. If anyone else has any input on this please reply, I encourage you.

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
No, I actually think they wouldn't. Case in point, Dabuz's Rosalina play. He exclusively plays her as a defensive character even though that's far from the optimal or most viable way to play as her. He simply plays that way because he prefers it. It's his natural playstyle, and has been since Brawl. However, because of this, other players play her like that too. This is how many of the top players think when using their characters.

And American players in general are really the main culprits of all of this bandwagoning and only using certain characters. In Japan and Europe, the scene is much more varied and there is much more interesting play and more variety in characters. There's more aggression and it gets results.

So no, the players are not perfect and without blame. Have you ever thought that maybe you are getting wrecked hard for playing aggressively because you simply can't play aggressively all that well?
Are you serious? Did you really just say that the man who got 2nd at Apex 2015 doesn't play Rosalina optimally? Did you really just say that? When have you won a national tournament with Rosalina? Where's your credibility? Rosalina actually has another character that you can control to fight for you. If that isn't defensive I don't know what is.

As for America not being varied, I don't think you have that quite right either. We have plenty of representation for plenty of characters. John Numbers and TKbreezy for WFT. Average Joe and DKWill for DK(I don't remember the last time I saw a DK played in Japan). Myran and Denti for Olimar. Tyrant and Ito for MK. All sorts of Foxes, Diddies, Sheiks, Falcons, Rosalinas, and Luigis. MJG for Villager. Believe me, there's plenty to go around, and as far as I've seen, much more than Japan. As for which scene plays more aggressive, I can't really say for sure, but I think for the most part they play fairly similarly. Don't you remember, Sakurai mentioned a tournament with BOTH Japanese and American players, playing very SAFELY, not willing to make many commitments. This is because if you make too many commitments, it's very likely you will not come out on top. I never said the players are perfect, but they definitely know how to play the game at a competitive level.

Kwinston

Smash Cadet
NNID
KWINSTON
While I agree that many hate on him for no real reason, I also believe that he is not an infallible human being, and that he can and should be given criticism.

That is definitely true. I just don't think he should be criticized but a lot of the people that don't even know what they are talking about when it comes to game design.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Of course, but I think people are jumping the gun in saying he's "against competition", or "he should leave".

He's trying his very best to please everybody. People may think balancing the game for anything other than tournament standard is wrong, but there are multiple problems with that claim:

1) Tournament standards change and develop all of the time.

2) The competitive scene has many clashing views as is, there is no agreed upon standard for how most characters should be.

3) Not everyone in the competitive scene even is all that smart. Some people are amazing players, but have terrible foresight or don't have a clear view of how a change to a character might effect the bigger picture, so crying for this nerf or that buff isn't always justified even coming from a top player.

4) We may think casual players don't notice changes, but considering everything outside of playing in tournaments is considered "casual", saying he should not pay attention to how characters work in FFAs, Smash Run, Classic Mode, and all other modes in the game, is basically telling him to be a terrible game designer.

Are you serious? Did you really just say that the man who got 2nd at Apex 2015 doesn't play Rosalina optimally? Did you really just say that? When have you won a national tournament with Rosalina? Where's your credibility? Rosalina actually has another character that you can control to fight for you. If that isn't defensive I don't know what is.

As for America not being varied, I don't think you have that quite right either. We have plenty of representation for plenty of characters. John Numbers and TKbreezy for WFT. Average Joe and DKWill for DK(I don't remember the last time I saw a DK played in Japan). Myran and Denti for Olimar. Tyrant and Ito for MK. All sorts of Foxes, Diddies, Sheiks, Falcons, Rosalinas, and Luigis. MJG for Villager. Believe me, there's plenty to go around, and as far as I've seen, much more than Japan. As for which scene plays more aggressive, I can't really say for sure, but I think for the most part they play fairly similarly. Don't you remember, Sakurai mentioned a tournament with BOTH Japanese and American players, playing very SAFELY, not willing to make many commitments. This is because if you make too many commitments, it's very likely you will not come out on top. I never said the players are perfect, but they definitely know how to play the game at a competitive level.
You're literally proving my point. Rather than forming your own well formulated view on the character, you assume Dabuz is the end-all, be-all of Rosalina play just because he placed second in one tournament. Have you ever considered he might have WON that tournament if he didn't play so strictly defensively?

Luma's presence doesn't make her defensive. You can play her that way, but you really should be playing Rosalina as a paradigm shifter - switching up Rosalina and Luma's role combination constantly to best match the tide of battle. Rosalina is incredible at offense, defense, combos, mind-games, etc, and so is Luma - Dabuz only puts focus on one of these for both characters, rather than using all of them to the fullest. It works for him right now, but it won't forever, and it certainly isn't the best way to play her. It's like playing Shulk but only ever using the Smash Monado Art.

Also listing one player of a few characters doesn't mean the competitive scene in the West is varied. It's as varied as a store shelf of Amiibos.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I agree with Sakurai's position here. Smash 4 is basically suited for all general playstyles whether it be aggressive like (Falcon/Mac) or defensive (Rosalina). It's the only Smash Bros game (other than like 64) to really hit the sweet spot of being in between casual and competitive.

One thing that this game doesn't need is being another Melee. People who complain endlessly about the game not being Melee just need to give it a freaking rest already. Smash Bros doesn't have to be Melee to be successful.

Christian Anderson

Smash Cadet
On one hand, the fact that sakurai actually acknowledged the fact that the game is slow and campy could be a sign of potential change. On the other hand sakurai also said "if you want to enjoy thrilling tactical gamplay, you should try other 2d fighters". The problem with this statement though is that there's no other game like smash bros. (Seriously, any game that tried to copy it failed in some way).

Top Bottom