• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The 20XX Melee Training Hack Pack (v5.0.2 - 1/20/2023)

Beets

Smash Apprentice
I don't really know if this thread is for ideas, but since I didn't see anything against it in the original post, I hope it is alright if I dream here.

So I enjoy classic and adventure modes. I like Melee's classic and adventure modes best. Brawl's Subspace Emissary could have been cool, if it had remotely resembled Nintendo (and Metal Gear Solid and Sonic) games. Melee's adventure mode is cool because you go through all these unique character worlds. Smash 4 was just weird and disappointing.

Let me start off saying that I don't expect anything. I just want to post what I think would be fun and it is something I wish Smash had in any game, really. This came to me when I heard about the "Tower of Smash" rumor going around. It described choosing four characters, one stock each. You would use these four characters in sequence, one after the other, similar to a crew battle (if crew battles used one stock each I suppose). The rumor then went on to describe 100 floors of challenges, with every ten floors being a boss battle (Mecha-Dragon from Mega Man was mentioned). I was thinking something similar, with every "floor" being a one-on-one, or two-on-two, or what-have-you each level. Multi-Man Melees, Poke Ball battles, and Goomba stomp-romps interspersed between them. By "Goomba stomp-romps" I mean a short hallway (short enough that you can see the exit without camera scrolling) as a short breather between matches. This would last for 100 stages, all randomized. Master Hand would be there, near the end. Giga Bowser would be there too. This mode would be like Classic mode but extended for 100 stages. Choosing characters for stocks could be: Mario, Fox, Falco, Captain Falcon; or Marth, Marth, Fox, Kirby; or Fox, Fox, Fox, Fox (note: not limited to these three examples). It would be on both neutral stages and minion barrages. It would be crazy and fun and rouge-like. It may be too much work to ever be worth doing.

And so I just wanted to share my thoughts here. Feel free to ignore this post. :ness:

flieskiller

Smash Journeyman
^

The problem is that hacking Melee is modifying existing actions and functions, doing something new like that would mean a LOT of new codes, and the space in the DOL is limited. Some small parts of it might be done, like modifying All-Star mode to make it different rounds, but making unique boss battles or separate character per slot might be too much trouble for small.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
I had an idea for this pack.

Now if I understand correctly, the concept is to keep Melee the same as the vanilla one but optimize it more for tournaments and maybe add some flourishes and extra training options.

This makes me think of the stage list, Melee has a ton of stages we never ever see and will never ever hope to see.

But what if it didn't have to be that way? I'm not proposing new stages be made out of these banned stages but what if all of the stages were made to be 1:1 functionality wise with a legal stage?

Pokefloats DL64 version?

Venom BF version?

Icicle Mountain FD?

The possibilities are endless, and we can get some visual variety out of the stages.

It may be harder (probably impossible) to do with stages that have an element to them (Whispy Woods, Pokemon Stadium, Kongo Jungle 64) but I think the idea is solid for the stages with nothing going on.

EDIT: Looking around I see that stages have been altered for tournaments, does this mean that the community will accept more original stages? Will you guys redo every stage?

Last edited:

CeLL

Smash Lord
I had an idea for this pack.

Now if I understand correctly, the concept is to keep Melee the same as the vanilla one but optimize it more for tournaments and maybe add some flourishes and extra training options.

This makes me think of the stage list, Melee has a ton of stages we never ever see and will never ever hope to see.

But what if it didn't have to be that way? I'm not proposing new stages be made out of these banned stages but what if all of the stages were made to be 1:1 functionality wise with a legal stage?

Pokefloats DL64 version?

Venom BF version?

Icicle Mountain FD?

The possibilities are endless, and we can get some visual variety out of the stages.

It may be harder (probably impossible) to do with stages that have an element to them (Whispy Woods, Pokemon Stadium, Kongo Jungle 64) but I think the idea is solid for the stages with nothing going on.
The concept is more for practicing tech skill (hence training pack), but to expand on your idea, I think it would be pretty cool if there were a feature (that could be turned on/off, of course) that, when you selected a legal stage, gave you one of various re-themes of it (with identical collision data) (just have multiple stage files and pull one from a table at random when the stage is chosen). With model importing/exporting starting to become a thing thanks to @ Tcll Tcll , I think this is definitely possible, though perhaps not quite yet.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
The concept is more for practicing tech skill (hence training pack), but to expand on your idea, I think it would be pretty cool if there were a feature (that could be turned on/off, of course) that, when you selected a legal stage, gave you one of various re-themes of it (with identical collision data) (just have multiple stage files and pull one from a table at random when the stage is chosen). With model importing/exporting starting to become a thing thanks to @ Tcll Tcll , I think this is definitely possible, though perhaps not quite yet.
That's great, I mean even consciously being able to pick the theme you want would be great. I just like the events and look and all that of the stages.

Imagine an icicle mountain that still scrolled up and down with Toki and Polar bears walking around in the back? Legal and ice-y!

Last edited:

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850

yea, it's definitely ehh... "possible", but it involves a few technicalities that will currently have to be involved...
I havn't even begun to enter the realms of exporting the HAL DAT format just yet, but just from my experience alone on the format, the amount of pointers in the relocation table I assume would have to remain the same, and when dealing with completely dynamic data, you're likely gonna need to know a few things before exporting...
hopefully this is not the case and I can figure out something to make the export process simple. :)

the HAL DAT format though is extremely technical because it's so simple...
those technicalities are what make the format MUUUCH more complex to work with. :(
(for example, I need a pathfinder just to find the right root structure before parsing the format)

it'll be figured out though, that's a definite ;)

Last edited:

Dexmaster

Smash Cadet
Why is DIOS MIOS so much more complicated to download than Devolution? Is it at all possible to play 20xx on Devolution? I know it needs a disc, so can I burn the iso onto one?

Mingo

Smash Cadet
You need to inject the textures into the iso with GCR, then put it into the weird format for usb loading. Also make sure you are using the textures on the correct color.
Alright I looked through the FAQ again and couldn't find anything, but i did plug in my USB again and i made my "folder after folder after folder" thing that i talked about earlier into an actual ISO ( it was not in an ISO form before, but it still worked for some reason...) however when i put it in this form nothing showed up when i tried to USB load my game. Is there some format that i need to put the ISO in so it will load?

Doq

Smash Lord
Alright I looked through the FAQ again and couldn't find anything, but i did plug in my USB again and i made my "folder after folder after folder" thing that i talked about earlier into an actual ISO ( it was not in an ISO form before, but it still worked for some reason...) however when i put it in this form nothing showed up when i tried to USB load my game. Is there some format that i need to put the ISO in so it will load?
DIOS MIOS or Nintendont?
DIOS MIOS: Handled by your loader. Usually where your Wii games go.
Nintendont: K:\games\_________\game.iso where ________ can be literally anything.

Sdmac200

Smash Rookie
Yo so like I load up 20XX on my dolphin and go into the debug mode. when I finish up in debug mode I press start after I go to the title screen it get this error http://prntscr.com/6twzde. I've tried getting the newest version of dolphin and I still gives me that error. I just wanna do endless friendlies ;_;

Espi

Smash Journeyman
So my DIOS MIOS stopped working after functioning perfectly after 8 months. When I launch 20XX, the DIOS MIOS splash screen appears, but after that the screen goes green. I don't think it's freezing because I don't have to hold the power button to turn it off. I've re-installed and rebuilt my ISO and re-installed DIOS MIOS (with the newest update 2.11). Any help would be appreciated :)

Myougi

My posts are gluten free.
So my DIOS MIOS stopped working after functioning perfectly after 8 months. When I launch 20XX, the DIOS MIOS splash screen appears, but after that the screen goes green. I don't think it's freezing because I don't have to hold the power button to turn it off. I've re-installed and rebuilt my ISO and re-installed DIOS MIOS (with the newest update 2.11). Any help would be appreciated :)
Here's a couple ideas:
  • Verify you have the right cIOS (custom IOS) installed in the right place. Use Syscheck for that. (Should be d2x if I recall correctly)
  • Make sure IOS236 is installed to do the above + more.
  • Try reformatting your USB to FAT32. (Make sure your games are saved correctly!)
  • Try DIOS-MIOS Lite or Nintendont if your regular DIOS MIOS isn't working.
You can find some help here: http://gwht.wikidot.com/
And there's a guide for Nintendont here (I recommend it over DIOS MIOS): http://nintendont.net/

Last edited:

Mingo

Smash Cadet
DIOS MIOS or Nintendont?
DIOS MIOS: Handled by your loader. Usually where your Wii games go.
Nintendont: K:\games\_________\game.iso where ________ can be literally anything.
I'm using dios mios. When you say"handled by your loader." Does that mean I can format my Iso in my "usb loader gx" because as of now my iso does not even show up.

Espi

Smash Journeyman
Here's a couple ideas:
  • Verify you have the right cIOS (custom IOS) installed in the right place. Use Syscheck for that. (Should be d2x if I recall correctly)
  • Make sure IOS236 is installed to do the above + more.
  • Try reformatting your USB to FAT32. (Make sure your games are saved correctly!)
  • Try DIOS-MIOS Lite or Nintendont if your regular DIOS MIOS isn't working.
You can find some help here: http://gwht.wikidot.com/
And there's a guide for Nintendont here (I recommend it over DIOS MIOS): http://nintendont.net/
I took your advice and decided to install Nintendont, and it went without a hitch :)
I just have one question though, I'm aware of the fact that if Native Control isn't turned on, it could mess with shield dropping. But when I go to options, the toggle for Native Control isn't present. Why is this? Also, what are the pros and cons of Nintendont/DIOS MIOS? (These questions are directed towards everyone who can answer) Thanks again :)

Last edited:

Sickolas

Smash Apprentice
I took your advice and decided to install Nintendont, and it went without a hitch :)
I just have one question though, I'm aware of the fact that if Native Control isn't turned on, it could mess with shield dropping. But when I go to options, the toggle for Native Control isn't present. Why is this? Also, what are the pros and cons of Nintendont/DIOS MIOS? (These questions are directed towards everyone who can answer) Thanks again :)
If native controls aren't there, try updating. It should be near the bottom. If it still isn't there, then you aren't looking hard enough.

Pros to Nintendont: Everything loads basically instantaneously. Never fails to boot.

Cons: Sometimes the music streaming ****s up. Very minor.

I think nintendont is better.

The Arrow

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone, whenever I use 20xx on Dolphin. It runs fine and everything, but whenever I try to change something in the debug menu, such as flash red when unsuccessful l-cancel, my dolphin crashes. Any idea what's wrong here?

flieskiller

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone, whenever I use 20xx on Dolphin. It runs fine and everything, but whenever I try to change something in the debug menu, such as flash red when unsuccessful l-cancel, my dolphin crashes. Any idea what's wrong here?
Have you checked the FAQ?

Beets

Smash Apprentice
I understand most of the stuff I wrote isn't feasible to code, but what about a different character per stock? Project M has All-Star Smash, and it would be useful for crew battles. Is there another technicality that I am unawares?

flieskiller

Smash Journeyman
I understand most of the stuff I wrote isn't feasible to code, but what about a different character per stock? Project M has All-Star Smash, and it would be useful for crew battles. Is there another technicality that I am unawares?
I might be wrong, but what I read, for Melee the characters is pre-loaded before the match starts, which is different from Brawl. We would need to find a way based on the events (single player, fighting against 5-6 characters) and implement it in multiplayer. I feel like it would be limited though, because in these events, you fight 2-3 characters then the stage changes, so maybe there is a limit of precache.

Doq

Smash Lord
I might be wrong, but what I read, for Melee the characters is pre-loaded before the match starts, which is different from Brawl. We would need to find a way based on the events (single player, fighting against 5-6 characters) and implement it in multiplayer. I feel like it would be limited though, because in these events, you fight 2-3 characters then the stage changes, so maybe there is a limit of precache.
Actually, Brawl is the same way in where it preloads characters (and funnily enough Brawl also only loads one copy like Melee). I do not know exactly how PM All Star Versus works.

DireDrop

Smash Journeyman
Is there a code that forces CPUs to spot dodge after teching/rolling? Basically the same way the spacies will shine after teching/rolling. I feel like it would be helpful for knowing if you dropped a combo. Also, people get me with spot dodges all the time.

Sickolas

Smash Apprentice
Achilles, when you press L to load the custom skin, would it be possible to switch the CSP to a matching new one on the spot? I figure since you can have all these additional files in the root it could be a thing.

CeLL

Smash Lord
Achilles, when you press L to load the custom skin, would it be possible to switch the CSP to a matching new one on the spot? I figure since you can have all these additional files in the root it could be a thing.
The problem is that the GC does not have enough RAM to load a full second set of CSPs.

Sickolas

Smash Apprentice
The problem is that the GC does not have enough RAM to load a full second set of CSPs.
Well it would only be switching out one CSP for one other CSP. Unless what you're telling me means it loads all the CSPs of a selected/highlighted character as soon as they are highlighted/selected and just switches between them?

I'm honestly not sure how it loads CSPs I just assumed it would do it one at a time and would be switchable.

Last edited:

CeLL

Smash Lord
Well it would only be switching out one CSP for one other CSP. Unless what you're telling me means it loads all the CSPs of a selected/highlighted character as soon as they are highlighted/selected and just switches between them?

I'm honestly not sure how it loads CSPs I just assumed it would do it one at a time and would be switchable.
Old discussion here. http://smashboards.com/posts/18347007

Beets

Smash Apprentice
I'm sorry, if I shouldn't be posting questions about feature possibility, let me know immediately.

Otherwise, I was wondering if two player co-op Classic, Adventure, and All-Star (and similar) modes would be a possibility?

Nannose

Smash Rookie
Yo Achilles you should take a look at this thread.
I'll copy paste the most relevant info but all of it is worth reading.
The ambiguity of the width of analog signals screws with widescreen codes as well. The code commonly used (and included in 20XX) was built under the premise that to convert from 4:3 to 16:9, you simply multiply the width of the FOV (field of view) by 4/3. Since the image itself isn't actually 4:3, what you need to do instead is to multiply it by the PAR(pixel aspect ratio) to get it to be 3:2, and then multiply it by 32/27 to increase the 3:2 field of view to 16:9. Combined, these steps multiply the FOV by approximately 32/25, or 1.28. I have modified the widescreen AR code to use this value, and it works great on a 16:9 monitor. However, if you are using a 16:9 TV instead of a monitor, the existing code works, because digital TVs, unlike computer monitors, are designed to handle analog television signals, and they have processing to handle sizing analog TV signals correctly. So on most TV's, you can just use the standard 4/3 multiplication code, which is the one that is handily built into 20XX.
Dan Salvato already said he would implement a toggle for the different widescreen codes into the 20XX TE in that thread so I was wondering if you could do the same for the regular pack. If you've already seen this then sorry for the repost.

Top Bottom