• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Test of Island Courage: Mike for SSB4!

darkcat1

Smash Cadet
NNID
jmdavies1
3DS FC
0731-5847-1876
They've announced that Mewtwo won't have a custom moveset. Hopefully that will change but that's going to make it harder to get in all of Mike's moveset. It doesn't affect his chances at all I don't believe.
well maybe they can't update the game that much. I just redeemed my mewtwo codes last night and haven't had much time to play but shadow ball seems to work like aura sphere. Anyway enough of getting off track so back to discussing Mike. The subweapons I think would work best as specials are:

Anklet(recovery)
Bolas (these are the most common and used throwing items in StarTropics)
Asterisk- I like the ninja stars
Miracle Mirror- we could always use something to reflect projectiles
Laser - Hey if fox can do it so can mike
Spiked Shoes - could be put in for up close combat
Sonowman Doll -have it temp. frezze everyone on the screen for a second or two like a stun

You could also make some of his items consumable so they can't be spammed but do recover over time

Last edited:

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
Where exactly was this announcement from Nintendo? As far as we know, they'll patch that in when Mewtwo goes public, and we've all been tricked into playing beta testers for them.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Where exactly was this announcement from Nintendo? As far as we know, they'll patch that in when Mewtwo goes public, and we've all been tricked into playing beta testers for them.
I don't have Mewtwo yet so this is mostly second hand accounts. If you go to his custom options it says that there isn't any custom options for him. But the main board just showed a video of how you can see Mewtwo's unfinished custom options. So now its very likely that they will patch him in a future update.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
OK, so I'm cross posting this from elsewhere but I definitely hope this gets some traction here:

I don't know if I've mentioned it before but I've been assisting a small movement to get Takamaru some more attention via fan art after a friend got motivated seeing the Daisy move set image courtesy of Bullets & Cyanide. Currently, I'm just the idea guy for the move set itself while he is the guy organizing his art contacts and seeing that they put something nice together. In the meantime though, I've been trying to set up something similar for my two other "most wanted"-s, namely Lip (Panel de Pon) and our boy Mike Jones here simply because I feel like there isn't enough eye-catching art for those characters here that sell their concept to others immediately. I have sent an inquiry to my friend wondering if we could also do something for them, but if that doesn't work out, I have a new backup plan. I was reminded of another acquaintance's talent for art and I'm currently thinking about splurging on a commissioned three piece shared scene for my top three (Takamaru, Lip & Mike Jones) or something more specifically tailored to each if I get more ideas from everyone here.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
OK, so I'm cross posting this from elsewhere but I definitely hope this gets some traction here:

I don't know if I've mentioned it before but I've been assisting a small movement to get Takamaru some more attention via fan art after a friend got motivated seeing the Daisy move set image courtesy of Bullets & Cyanide. Currently, I'm just the idea guy for the move set itself while he is the guy organizing his art contacts and seeing that they put something nice together. In the meantime though, I've been trying to set up something similar for my two other "most wanted"-s, namely Lip (Panel de Pon) and our boy Mike Jones here simply because I feel like there isn't enough eye-catching art for those characters here that sell their concept to others immediately. I have sent an inquiry to my friend wondering if we could also do something for them, but if that doesn't work out, I have a new backup plan. I was reminded of another acquaintance's talent for art and I'm currently thinking about splurging on a commissioned three piece shared scene for my top three (Takamaru, Lip & Mike Jones) or something more specifically tailored to each if I get more ideas from everyone here.
Mike Jones needs art with some more popular characters. I would like to think that having him appear in some comics about him, or hell, just a realistic or new take on him and his setting. We just need more exposure like way more.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I'm not fond of a more "realistic" Mike, I feel like it'd kinda betray some of the whimsical things and nature that is already present within StarTropics. If anything, I feel like playing up the "Saturday Morning Cartoon" angle with good art could be key in getting a second wind going for the character. The series already has a great cast to pull from if we talk Mike, the Argonian kids (Mica especially), Dr. J, and the Coralcolan islanders.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I'm not fond of a more "realistic" Mike, I feel like it'd kinda betray some of the whimsical things and nature that is already present within StarTropics. If anything, I feel like playing up the "Saturday Morning Cartoon" angle with good art could be key in getting a second wind going for the character. The series already has a great cast to pull from if we talk Mike, the Argonian kids (Mica especially), Dr. J, and the Coralcolan islanders.
I dub what you're doing the Retro Revolution. You should think about adding other retro characters in this revolution. btw I support Mike Jones.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I dub what you're doing the Retro Revolution. You should think about adding other retro characters in this revolution. btw I support Mike Jones.
You know @ bksbestbwoy bksbestbwoy , he's the hero that every forgotten character deserves after all. Even if the old bias machine "Sakurai" would forever choose what he considers worthy for Smash instead of the fans. At this point, I would even say that @ Thatkidwiththeafro Thatkidwiththeafro has a better vision of a future Smash than what Sakurai would ever do.

*waits for certain "Sakurai fanboys" to take the bait*

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Mike Jones needs art with some more popular characters. I would like to think that having him appear in some comics about him,
This is a very good idea. I've done a lot of art about him, granted, I'm not exactly talented enough of an artist to leave an impression of Mike (or myself as one). But there DEFINITELY needs to be more... everything about Mike and StarTropics.

I've seen more StarTropics cover music popping up lately, and I find that extremely pleasing. But we need more and better art as well.
(Heck, Mike desperately needs 3D renders as well. I only know of 1-2 3D artists who made one.)

But most of all... he needs to appear with other Nintendo stars. Remind people that Mike is a Nintendo character. (And best of all, remind Nintendo that he's theirs).

So I'm all up for it.

If anything, I feel like playing up the "Saturday Morning Cartoon" angle with good art could be key in getting a second wind going for the character.
This is another great idea. And I've even thought of Mike Jones as the typical "Saturday Morning" protagonist from the 90's.
It just works.

Thanks for reviving this thread with an interesting topic.
This franchise needs exposure, and Mike needs to hang around the rest of Nintendo's all-stars.

As for myself, I was just about to come out of my StarTropics fan-art hiatus (after I finish my tribute to Inti-Creates... great game developers, those guys), and I have something really special for my favorite Nintendo franchise prepared on my mind.
But it'll take time... And me learning to compose music on software, and make sure my (Flash) animation skills aren't rusty.

Is there anything we can do?

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The new Zelda's artstyle would fit quite nicely, now that I think about it. I don't want an overly realistic Mike but I definitely don't want a cartoon esque Mike either.
This is a very good idea. I've done a lot of art about him, granted, I'm not exactly talented enough of an artist to leave an impression of Mike (or myself as one). But there DEFINITELY needs to be more... everything about Mike and StarTropics.

I've seen more StarTropics cover music popping up lately, and I find that extremely pleasing. But we need more and better art as well.
(Heck, Mike desperately needs 3D renders as well. I only know of 1-2 3D artists who made one.)

But most of all... he needs to appear with other Nintendo stars. Remind people that Mike is a Nintendo character. (And best of all, remind Nintendo that he's theirs).

So I'm all up for it.

This is another great idea. And I've even thought of Mike Jones as the typical "Saturday Morning" protagonist from the 90's.
It just works.

This franchise needs exposure, and Mike needs to hang around the rest of Nintendo's all-stars.

As for myself, I was just about to come out of my StarTropics fan-art hiatus (after I finish my tribute to Inti-Creates... great game developers, those guys), and I have something really special for my favorite Nintendo franchise prepared on my mind.
But it'll take time... And me learning to compose music on software, and make sure my (Flash) animation skills aren't rusty.

We could start with the ballot. We'll have to aim for a different audience than the typical Smash or Nintendo fan, though...

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Haha, that's pretty cool. It's just by total coincidence that my top 3 managed to be retros too. I usually look at characters from a straight up move set/gameplay niche angle and despite their age, I felt as though all three of them were fitting heads for a katana user (employing all the animation and style befitting someone drawing from the hip for attacks), a puzzle game fighter (Dr. Mario sucks at this, there's nothing about him that isn't already done by Mario & puzzle game mechanics based on positioning/repositioning things in a game where positioning is everything sounds fascinating), or a cool flail user (Ness only uses yo-yos as a crutch for two smash attacks out of how many moves? We need someone to come in and go full hog with the yo-yo tricks).

FWIW, right after these guys are Wonder Red & Inklings tied at 4th, Impa at 6th and Ridley & K. Rool for the fans at joint 7th place. After these guys all join, I'm pretty much retired from the Smash roster game unless there's some breakout character with a cool game play catch to put in.

Overall though, don't pin any hopes solely on myself, I just felt like there needs to be something to kick start some needed discussion on some characters.

So I'm all up for it.

It just works.

Honestly, I feel like the biggest thing that can be done is to just get him into more thoughts. Get people to ask "who is he" non-ironically. The fan art angle is good because it gives both a modern "mold" people can quickly associate to the character and it's the fastest way of getting people interested, especially if it's done well. With that in mind, I guess targeting people who are good or enthusiastic about art to do things would be best.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
The new Zelda's artstyle would fit quite nicely, now that I think about it. I don't want an overly realistic Mike but I definitely don't want a cartoon esque Mike either.

We could start with the ballot. We'll have to aim for a different audience than the typical Smash or Nintendo fan, though...
Maybe I'm not seeing the big picture, but... how do we achieve this?
I mean, if the audience is not going to be a fan of Nintendo or Smash, why would they be interested in the Smash Bros. Fighter ballot?
Or do you mean like get him on people's mind kind of like Youtubers, artists, cover song artists, etc? (Not necesarily directly related)

(Ness only uses yo-yos as a crutch for two smash attacks out of how many moves? We need someone to come in and go full hog with the yo-yo tricks).

Honestly, I feel like the biggest thing that can be done is to just get him into more thoughts. Get people to ask "who is he" non-ironically. The fan art angle is good because it gives both a modern "mold" people can quickly associate to the character and it's the fastest way of getting people interested, especially if it's done well. With that in mind, I guess targeting people who are good or enthusiastic about art to do things would be best.
I have tried some things:
-Super Smash Tropics video (back in Brawl days). That got a lot of views. But they removed the audio (for trying to be funny with a Mike Jones rapper song at the end), haven't yet fixed that.
-Won a contest on Deviantart with the moveset picture on the OP. That also turned a few heads.
And other than these two "achievements", I've been yelling all over StarTropics related videos for people to vote for Mike in the ballot. :drshrug:

I would like to see other fans doing stuff, you know? It feels really REALLY lonely when I feel I'm the only one doing stuff. Ocassionally, I see something new over at DA, and it makes me smile.

As to Mike going full out with the Yoyo, I agree, those should be his main attacks, definitely.
Although I'd love to see as many of his items as possible. :)

Is there any way of suggesting the inclusion of StarTropics-related smileys in Smashboards? (Other than copy-pasting IMG codes from outside).

(This has basically been me over the course of pre SSB4 release)

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Maybe I'm not seeing the big picture, but... how do we achieve this?
I mean, if the audience is not going to be a fan of Nintendo or Smash, why would they be interested in the Smash Bros. Fighter ballot?
Or do you mean like get him on people's mind kind of like Youtubers, artists, cover song artists, etc? (Not necesarily directly related)
I'm talking about people who have no reason to vote. Typical Smash and Nintendo fans have already voted. We gotta dig deep, retro deep.

Last edited:

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias
At this point, I would even say that @ Thatkidwiththeafro Thatkidwiththeafro has a better vision of a future Smash than what Sakurai would ever do.
So, tell me how exactly I have a better vision? I'm going to take it s you found out that I created Super Smash Bros. Universe on Fantendo? Or did you happen to see the article I wrote on Challengers Approaching on why Kate Alen could work in Smash? Or is it my awesome afro? By the way as far as a Mike Jones 3D render you guys were looking for....

You may now thank Joe Adok for his work. Afro out!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
So, tell me how exactly I have a better vision? I'm going to take it s you found out that I created Super Smash Bros. Universe on Fantendo? Or did you happen to see the article I wrote on Challengers Approaching on why Kate Alen could work in Smash? Or is it my awesome afro? By the way as far as a Mike Jones 3D render you guys were looking for....

You may now thank Joe Adok for his work. Afro out!
Let's say that I've stumbled upon your wiki page and it is quite impressive in terms of the massive cast (with requested and unexpected characters alike). You even seem like you have what it takes to be a developer with the many ideas on modes and stages in the wiki.

Also, Popeye is a complete shoo-in for Smash and Donkey Kong wouldn't exist if it weren't for his game. Nice choice of fourth parties I must say and I like how Kasumi is in the same game with Ryu since DOA is awesome. Don't stop what you're doing snd good luck with your fantastic game idea.

PS: F-Zero bias is the best bias. :awesome:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I like it, it's pretty cool. Reading your comments on going for a more western cartoon look reminds me that if I had the ability to do art for it, my Mike would probably look like a halfway point between Mighty Max and Yusuke Urameshi. lol

Also, as much as I love StarTropics 1, Mike totally needs to have that awesome jeans jacket/t-shirt combo from StarTropics 2.

Edit: So this happened (Check out the favorites):

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I like it, it's pretty cool. Reading your comments on going for a more western cartoon look reminds me that if I had the ability to do art for it, my Mike would probably look like a halfway point between Mighty Max and Yusuke Urameshi. lol

Also, as much as I love StarTropics 1, Mike totally needs to have that awesome jeans jacket/t-shirt combo from StarTropics 2.

Edit: So this happened (Check out the favorites):
I think a lot about this guy when I start wondering how Mike would be represented.

(Alongside Captain N, James Bond Jr. and other main heroes from the early 90's)

As for the link.. That didn't occur to me. Smashified would be a great place to increase his popularity. Heck, maybe the most relevant place at the moment. The only challenge I see for them is having a fully animated 3D render (unless that's not how they work) Anyway, I guess I'll retweet that.

View attachment 57654
Startropics Mike.

View attachment 57655

Zoda's Revenge Mike.

View attachment 57656

C-Island.
Drools. Looks so much better in HD. And the homerun bat was a nice touch!. Gotta love that C-Island stage!

So awesome! It makes me want Mike even more! BTW, I am on the support list for Mike Jones, right?
It seem you are 1st on the list. XD

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Just letting everyone know, I haven't heard back from my friend in a while. I don't know what's happening but I'll remain optimistic.

King Marth 64

Smash Rookie
I supported Mike Jones also (along with other veterans and a few newcomers also) and I manage to create two YouTube videos to help out supporting Mike Jones for DLC and did drew two drawings of Mike Jones for DLC in Miiverse. I really like the StarTropics and really like to see Mike Jones in SSB for N3DS / Wii U.

I did make a Top 15 Picks for DLC and add Mike in #3.

And made a Mii Fighter of Mike that anyone can watch it from Miiverse also and used it from the YouTube option that was added from patch from Thursday Night so that anyone can might vote Mike for DLC.

I hope that one of you guys are happy that I helped out to see more supports for Mike on for the newcomers for the StarTropics series.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I supported Mike Jones also (along with other veterans and a few newcomers also) and I manage to create two YouTube videos to help out supporting Mike Jones for DLC and did drew two drawings of Mike Jones for DLC in Miiverse. I really like the StarTropics and really like to see Mike Jones in SSB for N3DS / Wii U.

I did make a Top 15 Picks for DLC and add Mike in #3.

And made a Mii Fighter of Mike that anyone can watch it from Miiverse also and used it from the YouTube option that was added from patch from Thursday Night so that anyone can might vote Mike for DLC.

I hope that one of you guys are happy that I helped out to see more supports for Mike on for the newcomers for the StarTropics series.
Hi! Welcome to the forums!
I'm glad this thread was your first stop! :D

Really happy to see more Mike supporters!
Hope to see you around more often.

I wish we had more talents spreading ST love around. Anything will do!

--

I'm going to break the long silence, and share something I've been working on.
A professional when it comes to music, I am certainly not, however, I made this as part of a bigger project that I'll hopefully release between October and early December.

https://soundcloud.com/https%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Frock-dj-2%2Fanother-chance-for-another-dayinstrumental
(and the url just in case: https://soundcloud.com/rock-dj-2/another-chance-for-another-dayinstrumental

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Hi! Welcome to the forums!
I'm glad this thread was your first stop! :D

Really happy to see more Mike supporters!
Hope to see you around more often.

I wish we had more talents spreading ST love around. Anything will do!

--

I'm going to break the long silence, and share something I've been working on.
A professional when it comes to music, I am certainly not, however, I made this as part of a bigger project that I'll hopefully release between October and early December.

https://soundcloud.com/https%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Frock-dj-2%2Fanother-chance-for-another-dayinstrumental
(and the url just in case: https://soundcloud.com/rock-dj-2/another-chance-for-another-dayinstrumental
Hey! The dungeon theme from Zoda's Revenge! That's great!

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Hey! The dungeon theme from Zoda's Revenge! That's great!
Correct! Although to be precise, this would be 3 Dungeon songs from Zoda's Revenge remixed as one. (And Zoda's boss song is also included).

I grew up playing StarTropics 1, but for some reason, when it comes to doing fan stuff, I end up using more ST2 songs. I wonder why..? :O

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
When the Hell is Startropics being released on Wii U Virtual Console?!

King Marth 64

Smash Rookie
Thanks.

And I was just thinking of something if there's a way to get StarTropics bring to Japan and bring Mike to SSB, that I just remembered that there was Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters that happened to be released in the Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console that did brought the game to Japan and the original Game Boy retail version wasn't released in Japan and plus that I did saw some sources that Genyo Takeda who is also the creator of StarTropics and Punch-Out!! along with Shigeru Minamoto looking after Nintendo of America after Mr. Iwata's death since July. But, what if we contact Genyo since he's in charge of Nintendo of America and ask him if to bring StarTropics I and II to Japan as a Virtual Console for Nintendo 3DS and/or Wii U so that will possibly make Mike recognized in Japan & supporting the StarTropic series also and see if he can might ask Sakurai to bring Mike as DLC?

And also, I managed to find an another video that did have support for Mike Jones for Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Thanks.

And I was just thinking of something if there's a way to get StarTropics bring to Japan and bring Mike to SSB, that I just remembered that there was Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters that happened to be released in the Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console that did brought the game to Japan and the original Game Boy retail version wasn't released in Japan and plus that I did saw some sources that Genyo Takeda who is also the creator of StarTropics and Punch-Out!! along with Shigeru Minamoto looking after Nintendo of America after Mr. Iwata's death since July. But, what if we contact Genyo since he's in charge of Nintendo of America and ask him if to bring StarTropics I and II to Japan as a Virtual Console for Nintendo 3DS and/or Wii U so that will possibly make Mike recognized in Japan & supporting the StarTropic series also and see if he can might ask Sakurai to bring Mike as DLC?

And also, I managed to find an another video that did have support for Mike Jones for Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U.

I'm pretty sure I've tried contacting him before he was in the spotlight, and nothing.
I also contacted Next Level Games, since they were developing some IPs that were previously handled by Genyo Takeda.
I've found no way to get through to Nintendo. If anyone has any ideas...?

This cycle needs to be broken. ... God... if only StarTropics had a chance at its own Miiverse...

Attachments

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey, guys, what kind of a voice do you all think Mike would have if he ever got into Smash, and what voice actor do you all think it would be?

Raijinken

Smash Master
English regardless of region (like Marth/Roy for Japanese), Yuri Lowenthal.

Actually, I could kinda see Scott Menville working pretty well, too.

Top Bottom