• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tech chasing with Iceys?

Smog

Smash Journeyman
Any tips? I watch chudat and fly and see them tech chase like complete beasts. Are there any special things that are good for ice climbers tech chasing?

StatusC

Smash Rookie
Good Wavedash tech and grabbing accuracy is the first step. I'll share what I think I've learned about where people tend to tech. Usually positioning on the stage and certain situations affect where people tech after a d-throw. (At least I've noticed) When you grab and d-throw near a ledge, they tend to almost always tech inwards because they want central stage positioning. When you d-throw in the middle of the stage when there aren't any particular obstacles near you, the opponent doesn't always have a clear pattern but I tend to read behind me because they seem to tech behind you more often then in-place or away on the first throw. If you read it the first time, and get the re-grab, the opponent usually techs away on the second throw. If you manage to grab them again, your chances of another perfect read are pretty slim, so I would d-throw for the third time and wait for my opponent to make a move so that I can react as quickly as possible (good wavedash tech required) and d-smash. Hope it helped.

Smog

Smash Journeyman
Good Wavedash tech and grabbing accuracy is the first step. I'll share what I think I've learned about where people tend to tech. Usually positioning on the stage and certain situations affect where people tech after a d-throw. (At least I've noticed) When you grab and d-throw near a ledge, they tend to almost always tech inwards because they want central stage positioning. When you d-throw in the middle of the stage when there aren't any particular obstacles near you, the opponent doesn't always have a clear pattern but I tend to read behind me because they seem to tech behind you more often then in-place or away on the first throw. If you read it the first time, and get the re-grab, the opponent usually techs away on the second throw. If you manage to grab them again, your chances of another perfect read are pretty slim, so I would d-throw for the third time and wait for my opponent to make a move so that I can react as quickly as possible (good wavedash tech required) and d-smash. Hope it helped.
Okay thanks, I've always sucked at tech chasing and that helps a lot. For getup attacks what should I do? Do I shield till the attack is over and regrab?

Last edited:

StatusC

Smash Rookie
I see a lot of people hold shield and then wavedash out of it for the grab, but i prefer to quickly wavedash backwards and then back forwards in quick succession. I only prefer this because I find doing things out of shield somewhat difficult.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
just watch what they do and react. Look for them to tech in place, if they don't get up right away, look at the direction they are going.
ICs massive wd allows them to tech-chase on reaction very easily.Practice against real players, you'll be good at it in no time.

cemo

white walker
Be ready to jab a missed tech, be ready to grab tech in place, be ready to wd grab a techroll. You'll need to be able to use the proper length wavedashes, over/undershooting it feels bad man.

xKobayashi

Smash Apprentice
my advice would be run to the point where they would tech in place and be prepared to cover it, then react to if they tech left or right. Many ice climbers try to wave dash to the point to where the opponent would in place but i think that is wasting frames.

also one of the best and most important tools for tech chasing is recognizing that you are late, good opponents will recognize this too and spot dodge, rather then whiffing a grab (and getting shined) simply wait outside shine range, by waiting you can cover tech in place --> shine/spot dodge/roll and you will not have to worry about losing stage control by whiffing a grab

Last edited:

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
just watch what they do and react. Look for them to tech in place, if they don't get up right away, look at the direction they are going.
ICs massive wd allows them to tech-chase on reaction very easily.Practice against real players, you'll be good at it in no time.
Covering every option on reaction is actually fairly difficult. You don't have nearly as much leeway as Sheik to cover tech rolls away.

When your opponent's teching options are limited, reacting becomes easier. For example, when someone lands on a platform, the distance they can travel with a techroll is significantly reduced, and you can cover any teching option just by wavelanding onto the platform next to them. If they land near the ledge, they "lose" the ability to escape via techroll away. Quoting myself from main chat...

My ideas for techchasing Fox (all assuming either that the grab isn't perfectly synched, or your opponent would be able to mash out before you could start a Wobble)

Situation A: Near the ledge, facing towards the ledge (but not close enough to handoff)

- D-throw
- Move slightly towards them (close enough to grab without getting hit by shine)
- Prepare to react for tech in place/no tech
- If camera bounces, they missed the tech, if camera stays still, tech in place
- Both tech rolls are easy to react to; away is limited by distance to ledge, and towards you is shortened because you're already standing in the middle of the roll distance (you can cover both with normal dash -> grab)
- Keep going till you get a Wobble/handoff
- With Sopo you can fish for d-throw -> no DI -> reverse d-smash, or cover multiple tech options with d-smash

Situation B: "Medium distance" (about half to two-thirds of Battlefield) from the ledge, facing away from the ledge

- B-throw
- Immediately wavedash at a distance that will put you in grab range
- Look for tech in place/no tech
- Covering tech rolls is pretty much identical situation A, but you have to be careful not to wavedash too far

Situation C: Near the ledge (too close for b-throw), but facing away from the ledge

- D-throw
- Immediately turn around and wavedash to the other side of Fox
- Tech roll towards the ledge will be an unpopular option, since it's easy to react to and puts them in a dangerous situation
- Tech roll away becomes much easier to cover since the distance is effectively shortened
- Still look for tech in place/no tech
- Once you get the regrab, refer to Situations A or B

Situation D: Not near any ledge (or medium distance + facing the ledge)

- This will never occur on smaller stages (Yoshi's, Battlefield, FoD)
- If Nana is synched, you can go for a mid-stage handoff, d-throw -> u-smash, or f-throw/b-throw -> ice block
- The ice block makes it easier to cover tech in place/no tech
- However, it doesn't help with tech roll away, which is probably your opponent's safest option; if they reach the end of the stage it will usually push them onto the ledge before you can get there
- D-throw techchases are possible, but it's difficult to cover every option
- On Stadium and FD, I would prefer u-throw combos in most cases

Last edited:
Top Bottom