• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Takamaru Comes to 3DS Virtual Console in 'The Mysterious Murasame Castle'

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
The Mysterious Murasame Castle, originally a Japan-only title that made its debut on the Famicom, is headed to the states for the first time on the Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console! While many have voiced their displeasure at the exclusion of Takamaru as a playable character in Smash Brothers for Wii U/3DS, he will be making his way to the states in The Mysterious Murasame Castle instead.

The original box art for the game when it released in 1986

The official announcement was made at the San Diego Comic Con. Nintendo of America tweeted shortly before the Mysterious Murasame Castle Nintendo Challenge to reveal the game was hitting the US 3DS eShop very soon! Mark your calendars for August 7, when Takamaru the samurai shows his face in the US for the very first time.

You can watch the official Twitch Steam of the Mysterious Murasame Castle Nintendo Challenge here at about 2:30:52.

iDOWN is a casual Smasher who actually likes the idea of Lucina being in SSB4. Follow him on Twitter at @PlayerOneiDOWN.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
This is gonna be sweet. I was jealous that NoE got it and we didn't but hey, it's finally here now.

proxibomb

Smash Clown
Now that I think about it, watch this series get a reboot, and watch the next Smash have Takamaru have a bigger impact on the game, like being a character.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I've wanted to play this game since 2004 when I first started being interested in Takamaru so I'm more than happy that this is finally getting an international release. I'm hoping this eventually leads to a reboot ala Punch Out Wii or Kid Icarus Uprising.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Looking forward to giving this game a try when it releases.

Neoleo21

Smash Apprentice
Seriously, If takamaru's series gets rebooted into a hack'n slash more like Devil May Cry (not Bayonetta, there are distinct differences), with with a greater emphasis on exploration than those series similar to its zelda roots, that would be so awesome.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Good luck to everyone looking to get past the first Castle.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I heard this game will beat the tar out of you... Virtual Console save points, activate!!! :troll:

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
Yep, this news definitely haves something to do with Takamaru's confirmation as an assist trophy in Smash 4...

YoPoYo9100

Smash Apprentice
I will most likely pick this up. It's good to see some of these previously Japanese exclusive titles getting a release elsewhere.

Neoleo21

Smash Apprentice
Yeah the game is already released to European 3DS virtual console.
I wonder if I should give this game a go....
Its a good game, its kinda like Zelda with Castlevania level structure and difficulty with multiple paths to the end of levels to find if you're good enough. There's also a number of tools and upgrades to use like the classic kunai and inazuma lighning. The only real flaw is the level timer, if it was not there it would be fantastic.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'll be getting this day one. Since the Wii U port will be out this week in Japan, Nintendo should think about localizing that as well. I'll be willing to buy both versions if I want support getting this series a reboot.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Its a good game, its kinda like Zelda with Castlevania level structure and difficulty with multiple paths to the end of levels to find if you're good enough. There's also a number of tools and upgrades to use like the classic kunai and inazuma lighning. The only real flaw is the level timer, if it was not there it would be fantastic.
I see. Thanks for letting me know, guess I'll give the game a go sometime. :)

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Now that I've gotten over the bittersweet feeling of having Takamaru as an Assist Trophy, I can at least rejoice with my fellow NNMJ fans that he's at least in the game as the 2nd best thing after playable.

I WILL buy this game. Not now, but when I get a 3DS I will most certainly will.
My first impression on it was... it's like the original LoZ but frantic, super-challenging and way WAY more fun.

I hope a lot of people give this game a chance, so it doesn't end up forgotten like a certain other franchise with a similar gameplay style that I'm extremely fond of.
-
And I think I understand why Sakurai chose Takamaru to be an AT.
He'll always give new and popular characters priority... But classic retro characters are going to run out eventually. And he's going to need one for the next SSB.

So it's safe to say Takamaru's spot is pretty much guaranteed for the next one. :)

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
This has been on the vc in Australia for a long time! I'm surprised it's not in the US yet. I haven't gotten the game yet, though. PLEASE let this mean he'll get a reboot! Now all we need are Ice Climbers, Mike Jones, Lip, Sukapon and Tamagon!

Last edited:

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
I hope a lot of people give this game a chance, so it doesn't end up forgotten like a certain other franchise with a similar gameplay style that I'm extremely fond of.
Care to elaborate?

edit: *facepalm*

Last edited:

Neoleo21

Smash Apprentice
Now that I've gotten over the bittersweet feeling of having Takamaru as an Assist Trophy, I can at least rejoice with my fellow NNMJ fans that he's at least in the game as the 2nd best thing after playable.

I WILL buy this game. Not now, but when I get a 3DS I will most certainly will.
My first impression on it was... it's like the original LoZ but frantic, super-challenging and way WAY more fun.

-
And I think I understand why Sakurai chose Takamaru to be an AT.
He'll always give new and popular characters priority... But classic retro characters are going to run out eventually. And he's going to need one for the next SSB.

So it's safe to say Takamaru's spot is pretty much guaranteed for the next one. :)
Its a little mac scenario, this strange reappearance of such a random franchise as TMMC, only points to something larger down the line here than just a character in smash. Perhaps a hack n Slash reboot? Also it that he's was less relevant than even Pit in Brawl nor did he have the series breadth of Marth in melee. Though I'm praying for that reboot, the original game was really hard, awesome, and I understand why people like Kamiya have some nostalgia for it. The only problem was the damn level timer.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Its a little mac scenario, this strange reappearance of such a random franchise as TMMC, only points to something larger down the line here than just a character in smash. Perhaps a hack n Slash reboot? Also it that he's was less relevant than even Pit in Brawl nor did he have the series breadth of Marth in melee. Though I'm praying for that reboot, the original game was really hard, awesome, and I understand why people like Kamiya have some nostalgia for it. The only problem was the damn level timer.
To be fair, Nintendoland was probably hinting at a revival with the Takamaru's Castle game.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai decides to make Murasame Castle his project "between Smashes". We have a 3D model so far (better than the Dynasty Warriors at least).

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
I don't mind. Though, I do see this a bait for those who will REALLY be begging for MOTHER 3 to come out more than ever!

D

Deleted member

So it's coming out to the 3DS eShop? I thought it'd be for Wii U instead, but that's great and a good way to make up for the Assist Trophy thing.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I remember this being announced recently (over the weekend?) so it's funny to see Takamaru revealed as an AT today.

Hero of the Winds

Smash Journeyman
Was this our surprise? Cool! I've been wanting to play a Takamaru game ever since the post this morning xD

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
There a reason why is was Show as a Assist Trophie and a VC Console, a game that never came out to NA. Takamaru should be Proud. Its popularity is gonna increased a lot.

Not Even Mother 3 has been not releasing in America, including all the Fans begging for that game.
And somehow we got a game, that no one wants and is very odd released thst game here.

Im glad Takamaru is getting some glory.

I Think is gonna be the next Little Mac in the next future Smash, along side with Dillon.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
So between this and the fact that GBA games are on the VC for Wii-U, I'm very willing to believe that Mother 3's official English translation can happen.

Top Bottom