• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Flash 2 v0.9b Coming Tonight, Isaac Teased

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Many fans of the official Smash Brothers games have also enjoyed Super Smash Flash, and today new version Super Smash Flash 2 v0.9b is being released to the public. Made by McLeodGaming, a group of passionate Smash Brothers fans, the Super Smash Flash series has done an admirable job of creating a fast-paced game with an excellent physics engine. Most impressive, it truly feels like Smash Brothers - no easy feat considering the game and its engine were made from scratch.

Super Smash Flash 2 is host to characters that would otherwise never be possible in the Smash Brothers series.
Because Super Smash Flash is a free fangame they have been able to take some creative liberties with character and stage additions, including non-Nintendo characters such as Sora from the Kingdom Hearts series, Goku from Dragonball Z and many more which can be seen here. The latest addition, Chibi-Robo, has a creative moveset that uses his light-socket tail and household items to great effect. To commemorate the new version, McLeodGaming has released their own version of the Nintendo Direct, showcasing all of the new content in version 0.9b.

McLeodGaming Direct - Super Smash Flash 2 v0.9b
This new version is scheduled for release later tonight, so if you're interested keep an eye out for the download link on their website, and check into their Facebook page here.

Are you looking forward to giving Super Smash Flash 2 a try? What character would you like to see them add to the game? Make your voice heard in the comments below!

The Derrit remembers SSF from way back in the day - it's come a long way since then. Chat with him on Twitter at @TheDerrit.

Last edited:

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Ha! Thinking it will be uploaded at the release date... You guys are obviously new to McleodGaming.

TingleZC

Smash Cadet
Despite the questionable characters I do believe this game is a lot better than it receives credit for.

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
Isn't it weird they started working on this post-Brawl and now we got a new Smash coming out and all we've seen of SSF2 is demos? (Not blaming the guys for taking so long because I know how hard they work on this, just mean it as a joke)

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I really like this game, but it probably doesn't get much exposure due to the fact most people looking to play this sort of game don't have any interest in competitive play, which this game is clearly all about. That means they don't have a USB controller, so they're forced to use the silly keyboard controllers.

tl;dr the game's designed with competitive play too much in mind.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I only download it earlier this week and quickly learned of the new version, and watched the Direct live. I play using my GameCube Controller and everything. It's really, really good. I totally recommend it to every Smash fan.

And while some character additions may seem silly, Goku and co actually are really fun to play as. Plus, it's a nice alternative for all of the kiddies who would otherwise clamour for those characters in the official games!

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Isn't it weird they started working on this post-Brawl and now we got a new Smash coming out and all we've seen of SSF2 is demos? (Not blaming the guys for taking so long because I know how hard they work on this, just mean it as a joke)
Well the demos are more like betas, as they have all the content they've finished instead of enough content to make you exited for the full release. You also need to remember that there are maybe a handful of people working on this that have little to no game development background compared to a multi-million dollar company that have made literally hundreds of games.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Jump Characters: Really Dumb
Not Luffy: Even Dumber

Square Enix Characters: OK
No Dragon Quest: Ludicrously Dumb

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
Well the demos are more like betas, as they have all the content they've finished instead of enough content to make you exited for the full release. You also need to remember that there are maybe a handful of people working on this that have little to no game development background compared to a multi-million dollar company that have made literally hundreds of games.
I said I'm familiar with how hard they work mate, no need to clear it up. It was just a joke playing on the irony that it's a game modeled after Brawl when we have the next installment coming out. After they're done with the full game I hope they take a break a few years tho, SSF2 is so polished there's no need to make another so fast.

Strawhat Jiggs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Evolzar89
theres a chance he can be in the next demos.
(everyone is begging for him)
But still why put 2 out of the big 3 in? Jest put all 3 so no one has to "beg" for them. Also I don't quite understand why they keep making demos instead of jest finishing and realeasing a final copy.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
But still why put 2 out of the big 3 in? Jest put all 3 so no one has to "beg" for them. Also I don't quite understand why they keep making demos instead of jest finishing and realeasing a final copy.
I don't think you understand how game design works. You can't just go "We want Luffy!" and a Luffy magically appears fully functional inside the game's coding. You also can't go "We want the final version now!" and suddenly ideas you'd and several others would have in the future culminate in a magical .txt file with the secret of life hidden inside of it. They make demos so we can have input and make suggestions as to how the game is made, and so we have something to look forward to instead of blind promises that the game will be good.

Last edited:

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
I really like this game, but it probably doesn't get much exposure due to the fact most people looking to play this sort of game don't have any interest in competitive play, which this game is clearly all about. That means they don't have a USB controller, so they're forced to use the silly keyboard controllers.
One million plays a day isn't quite "not much exposure" :p

The game works well both competitively and as a casual time-waster. Online mode will definitely help with both sides as well.

ClubbyBear

Smash Journeyman
because making a game takes time
and if all you do is show screenshots and videos noone will care about it and the fanbase cannot grow

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Demos are just another way of saying "WIP build". This is what we have for now in terms of progress towards the final game.

Shog

Smash Ace
Downloading from the main site is slow as heck, any suggestions what I should do?

Shog

Smash Ace
Just so you know, the new demo isn't out yet.
Apples are red.

That's how fitting your answer is to mine. Who said I am downloading the newest game? I just said: The Downloading from the Main Site is slow as heck, any suggestions?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Any chance of controller support i wanna play it due to online.
If you use a program like Xpadder you can map buttons on the controller to keys. That's how I play it using my GameCube Controller. One initial set up is all that's needed. After that, you can plug in an play if you keep the controller program open.

Potpourri

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2921-9942-8562
In all honesty, I love this game. The original Smash Flash had fan characters (Sonic recolors jfc) and bad physics. Smash Flash 2 is very different. I remember when the game was at 0.3 and I could tell the game would be amazing. Sure, the fact that characters like Sora, Goku, and Naruto made it in over/before actual Nintendo characters, but whatever. Anyone who's gonna judge this game based off the roster needs to at least give this a small chance. Plus the game plays pretty well, and is as close to an actual Smash game that a Flash-based game can get. Can't wait until this gets released!

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
I've somehow never heard of this! Can't wait to give it a try when I get home (if it's available). Thanks for the update!

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
In all honesty, I love this game. The original Smash Flash had fan characters (Sonic recolors jfc) and bad physics. Smash Flash 2 is very different. I remember when the game was at 0.3 and I could tell the game would be amazing. Sure, the fact that characters like Sora, Goku, and Naruto made it in over/before actual Nintendo characters, but whatever. Anyone who's gonna judge this game based off the roster needs to at least give this a small chance. Plus the game plays pretty well, and is as close to an actual Smash game that a Flash-based game can get. Can't wait until this gets released!
I'm actually personally offended that Blue the Original Characterhog hasn't been deconfirmed yet.

Potpourri

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2921-9942-8562
I'm actually personally offended that Blue the Original Characterhog hasn't been deconfirmed yet.
http://mcleodgaming.wikia.com/wiki/Blue
"Blue was previously confirmed to appear again in Super Smash Flash 2, as an unlockable character with a different design and new attacks. But was announced on May 18, 2012 that he would be removed from the roster along with Blade."
From what I've heard, the game will have no OC's.

Top Bottom