• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Flash 2 Receives Patch To Improve Online Performance

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
After online services for the game were temporarily disabled for an hour, a new patch has been added to Super Smash Flash 2 v0.9b made to improve online services. From the McLeodGaming Website:

"The update for online mode performance boosts is here! Head over to the Games page now to go download the update. Players should experience much more stable frame rates in online mode than in previous versions. Please update to the latest in order to continue playing online mode, since old versions will no longer support it. The web version of the game has of course been updated as well. There are also no balancing changes, so you will still be able to load replays from the previous release - revision 1981." - Cleod9

So for those who were wary of trying the game due to tenuous online experiences, here is a series chance to give the game another shot! For those who've never tried it online before, what better time than now? To try out the game head to the McLeodGaming games page.

SmashCapps is a HUGE fan of Super Smash Flash 2 and loves playing as Black Mage! To talk about the game or anything else Smash, follow him on Twitter.

Drarky

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1607-4919-4337
You are not the only one who loves the Mage SmashCapps <3

Also hurray for SSF2, tho it's been a while since the last time I checked it out, maybe I should try it again.

StriderSean

Smash Cadet
NNID
RagnarokSeraph
3DS FC
1332-8232-6969
I wish they'd update their site and not just their games...

Zoa

Smash Ace
Really like Black Mage myself. Haven't tried out the online yet, but will soon.

I tried to get on today to play SSF2 online for the first time with a buddy, and server maitenance kicked in right as we were about to start.

GG.

My biggest wish is controller support, the keyboard really limits my enjoyment of the game. It's nice to revisit Brawl Marth and play as a Sora that reminds me of my CoM days.

LilHero6

Smash Rookie
I tried to get on today to play SSF2 online for the first time with a buddy, and server maitenance kicked in right as we were about to start.

GG.

My biggest wish is controller support, the keyboard really limits my enjoyment of the game. It's nice to revisit Brawl Marth and play as a Sora that reminds me of my CoM days.
Google Xpadder, it's a program that turns joypad inputs into keystrokes and is lagless. It's how I play SSF2 with a 360 remote, but if you have the GC adapter for Wii U I'm sure there's some workaround to play SSF2 with a GC remote.

Google Xpadder, it's a program that turns joypad inputs into keystrokes and is lagless. It's how I play SSF2 with a 360 remote, but if you have the GC adapter for Wii U I'm sure there's some workaround to play SSF2 with a GC remote.
Thank you so much. I've been dying to use my Mayflash or any other controller with this thing.

KCB: Cloth

Killer Combro
I love me some SF2 :love:

For anyone using the original adapter:
Joytokey v2 really works great for me. There is an youtube video that helps you set it up.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Great. Maybe I can actually play it now.

D

Deleted member

I just hope the disconnect at results screen issue was fixed.

Glad to see a patch!

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
Will there be a patch to nerf "Double Demon Fang!!"?!?!

Last edited:

Zelbur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zelbur
Hey guys, is SSF any good? I play SSB Crusade and really like it, is this better or worse?

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
Hey guys, is SSF any good? I play SSB Crusade and really like it, is this better or worse?
Well I love SSF2 with a passion, but I'm pretty sure SSB Crusade has more characters. Both great in their own right, but I feel like SSF is closer to Melee, maybe. Only thing thats different in my eyes is that SSF looks better. Just a subjective answer to a subjective question.

spid3y916

Smash Cadet
I want to get SSF2 but all I can find is the demo.
The demo is the game. V0.9b is the current version out with a later major update called SSF2 Beta to be release on an unannounced date.

SSF2 currently doesn't have as colorful or as large of a roster in comparison to SSBC, but SSF2 is more polished in terms of gameplay (personal opinion). I do play both games from time to time, though I do at times have performance issues with SSBC.

shapular

Smash Ace
The frame rates were never my issue with the online. Have they fixed the disconnecting after 2-3 games and the randomly being sent into training mode?

bigdizzy

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1650-1840-1757

GG.

You can use any key to joypad program for any kind of game... It assigns keyboard buttons to your joypad, so you can play any game with a controller instead of just games that support it.

Ryochi

Smash Cadet
NNID
RyochiMayeabara
Did they remove that TERRIBLE system for having the entire room disconnect if only one player leaves?

SmashJC

Smash Journeyman
The demo is the game. V0.9b is the current version out with a later major update called SSF2 Beta to be release on an unannounced date.

[...] but SSF2 is more polished in terms of gameplay (personal opinion). I do play both games from time to time, though I do at times have performance issues with SSBC.
I can't see any difference between the gameplay mechanics of those two, anyway i prefer SSBCrusade, because Crash Bandicoot, my SSB fangame main. Call me when crash be added to the SSBFlash roster :3

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
How is Super Smash Flash competitively? Is it balanced? How many stages are viable?

notjustinbailey

Smash Rookie
NNID
joeyjoey396
3DS FC
2621-2625-7230
Does the Mayflash adapter with 4 ports work for this game?
You have to use a program like Xpadder or Joy2Key. It maps controller buttons to keys on your keyboard. Any controller that can connect to your PC can be used in SSF2, basically.

D

Deleted member

For me I'd say (in terms of which game is better) it depends on what you're going for:

Crusade
+Characters
+Flexibility (in terms of options)
+Originality
+Recolors

-Lack of polished gameplay
-Low-quality sprites (that were good for old builds, but can be fixed now)
-Overall less action-packed/competitive gameplay

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SSF2
+Character detail
+Balance
+Gameplay
+More action-packed/competitive gameplay
+Better and more interesting/competitive stages

-piss-poor recolors (looks like something a kindergartner would make)
-It trying to be Brawl 2.0, as opposed to it's own game
-Tails
-Some movesets being unreasonably weird (Megaman)
-No Mewtwo, or any other characters besides from the basic haul for that matter.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:

Nights Owl

Smash Apprentice
Never got into SSF2. The gameplay reminds me too much of Brawl.

I prefer Crusade. I just wish the graphics were a bit better in that one. The gameplay is top notch though... Minus some jank hitboxes.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Does the 360 remote need to have a USB to plug in or can it be wireless. Also, how do I get Xpadder? Is it something I buy or is it a free download type thing

notjustinbailey

Smash Rookie
NNID
joeyjoey396
3DS FC
2621-2625-7230
Does the 360 remote need to have a USB to plug in or can it be wireless. Also, how do I get Xpadder? Is it something I buy or is it a free download type thing
I believe there's a free version that doesn't have all the latest features and you have the option to buy. I bought it myself though, so I'm not sure how it works unpaid. As for the 360 Controller I believe you need a USB cord but I may be wrong. If you've ever connected it to your PC before just use the same method and Xpadder will detect it.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
-It trying to be Brawl 2.0, as opposed to it's own game
I don't think a sentence has ever confused me more in my entire life... in what way? Looks nothing like Brawl. Plays nothing like Brawl. The only Brawl thing is the airdodges.

We're shooting for a mid-point between every game. 64/Meleeish hitstun, Brawl hitlag, Melee gravity, Melee sh height and such, Brawl airdodges, custom menus and music, stages from all games... I don't get at all how you would think we're close to Brawl.

Last edited:

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
How is Super Smash Flash competitively? Is it balanced? How many stages are viable?
SSF2 is definitely well-balanced for the most part. Chibi-Robo is generally accepted as the worst, but he's still viable and has nice perks of his own. Top characters like Meta Knight and Marth are noticeably strong, but not strong enough to centralize or dominate the meta. The official tier list is here for this version.

As for the stages, this is the standard list of legal stages:
Chaos Shrine and Saturn Valley could be legal though imo.

Not sure if you were asking this, but the gameplay itself is kind of like a merge of all 4 smash games. It has Smash 64's juggling and stun system for the most part, speed between Melee's and Smash 4's overall, Brawl's ledges, Melee and Brawl-like recoveries, and some Melee and Brawl advanced techniques (no wavedashing though). I personally think the gameplay is pretty polished, but there are still some tweaks that could be made (jank, cpus don't know how to recovery too well, online's still a bit laggy and weird, etc).

Overall, it's a really fun and well-designed game that is certainly worth a download.

Last edited:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
SSF2 is definitely well-balanced for the most part. Chibi-Robo is generally accepted as the worst, but he's still viable and has nice perks of his own. Top characters like Meta Knight and Marth are noticeably strong, but not strong enough to centralize or dominate the meta. The official tier list is here for this version.

As for the stages, this is the standard list of legal stages:

Chaos Shrine and Saturn Valley could be legal though imo.

Not sure if you were asking this, but the gameplay itself is kind of like a merge of all 4 smash games. It has Smash 64's juggling and stun system for the most part, speed between Melee's and Smash 4's overall, Brawl's ledges, Melee and Brawl-like recoveries, and some Melee and Brawl advanced techniques (no wavedashing though). I personally think the gameplay is pretty polished, but there are still some tweaks that could be made (jank, cpus don't know how to recovery too well, online's still a bit laggy and weird, etc).

Overall, it's a really fun and well-designed game that is certainly worth a download.
Thanks for the reply! I've been playing it for the last few hours, and it's a lot of fun. Performance is kinda iffy, but then again I have 2 windows of Firefox up and I haven't done a memory clear in days. The only things that immediately jump out at me as missing are turnaround-Bs, a third input for jump (I normally keep X and Y, then change L to jump), and support for analog input. If this got refined a bit more, I'd love to see it start appearing at more locals. Also, Zelda has finally become viable. You have no idea how happy it makes me for this lady to get a break.

I though SSF2 had Isaac. Is that a different game? Or do I have to unlock him?

EDIT: Oh, and My Music. After 6 years, it just seems strange to play on Smashville with any music except Go KK Rider.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't think a sentence has ever confused me more in my entire life... in what way? Looks nothing like Brawl. Plays nothing like Brawl. The only Brawl thing is the airdodges.

We're shooting for a mid-point between every game. 64/Meleeish hitstun, Brawl hitlag, Melee gravity, Melee sh height and such, Brawl airdodges, custom menus and music, stages from all games... I don't get at all how you would think we're close to Brawl.
The game isn't bad, it's just that most of the movesets usually look like modified Brawl ones, like with Pikachu or Kirby, in addition to some of the characters looking like Brawl (Mario, Link, Zelda, Kirby). Also, I believe that Kirby got brawlified, I know the Mario is new, but that Kirby looks like an improved version of the classic.

As for the mid-point thing, I must've overlooked that part, thanks for informing me about it! Also, I noted the Gameplay/Stages part on my compliments list.

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
The game isn't bad, it's just that most of the movesets usually look like modified Brawl ones, like with Pikachu or Kirby, in addition to some of the characters looking like Brawl (Mario, Link, Zelda, Kirby). Also, I believe that Kirby got brawlified, I know the Mario is new, but that Kirby looks like an improved version of the classic.

As for the mid-point thing, I must've overlooked that part, thanks for informing me about it! Also, I noted the Gameplay/Stages part on my compliments list.
Actually, Kirby's sprites are based off of not brawl, but Kirby Mass Attack.

Top Bottom