• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Flash 2 Player Profile: Lunary

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Super Smash Flash 2 is sometimes overlooked when it comes to the fanmade Smash games. Many do not realize it has a vibrant competitive scene with its own top players, notable tournament organizers, and intricate development history. Each Wednesday over the month of September will feature an article covering a unique aspect of the game or scene. Last week we discussed the history of the game and its development. This week we look at one of the game's top players: Lunary.

Juggling school, basketball, and playing Super Smash Flash 2, Lunary is a force to be reckoned with. Hailing from Belgium, Lunary is actually very new to the game having only started playing the game competitively in December of 2014. With less than a year under his belt he has still risen through the ranks quickly having not placed lower than third place in tournament during his entire competitive career and having only been eliminated from a bracket a total of four times.

But where did it all start? At the age of six he started to play Super Smash Bros. Melee and the series alongside its competitive nature hooked him on gaming for life. "I love the challenge" he told me. "Seeing myself and others improving as time flies and doing cool things."

His first tournament in the Super Smash Flash 2 was quite the impressive debut. He had only been able to grind on the game for two weeks but made a stellar placement. "My first tournament was less than two weeks after I started, I grinded hard but I got 3rd. I quickly understood the game, took notes of my character and other players, established a gameplan and so on."

He has kept to that grind as well playing constantly with members of the community. He has a knowledge on how to play Tails, Lloyd, Fox, Captain Falcon, and Ichigo but by far his most comfortable character is Meta Knight. After Arsenec, a player he held a lot of respect for said his Meta Knight was solid he started playing as him more.

"Coming from a Melee background, I love quick characters." he said. "Metaknight's dashdance in this game is explosive and a lot of his attacks come out really fast. He catches people off guard. His recovery options also allows me to take more risks off stage. I've played him so many times and studied him so deeply that I usually know what the best I can make out of any situations."

A very difficult but impressive combo with Meta Knight

The match he considers his greatest of all time took place during X Series VII Grand Finals against DescendedSun, a top UK players who rarely goes to tournaments but is among some of the greatest in the game. Having just defeated Kyoz, another top player in the scene, Lunary had to be at his best to take him down. "I feel like I've played out of my mind against a player I've always struggled against in friendlies. After hardly making out of the Winner Finals beating him so convincingly was really something."

His advice for those who want to get into the game and improve?

"For anyone out there who wants to start improving , the first thing you must do is to set up conformable controls. This is really important. Try to do instant aerials, short hops, and all your attacks with ease. It might take time (I play with a keyboard, I went through this) but that's how you can consider playing at your best. Take time to see how characters move and how they attacks. If you play a character that you also play in a Smash game, analyze how different he is in SSF2. If you're looking for people you can learn from, try the SSF2 IRC Chat. You'll find there veterans and newcomers to play with."

---​

Hopefully this has readers seeing Super Smash Flash 2 in a new light. With this insight into the mind of one of the game's top players maybe this has inspired some to check out the game. To discuss more be sure to check out the game's discussion thread on Smashboards or consider learning more about its tournament scene. Be sure to come back next week Wednesday to learn more about the game. Until then, we'll let the game speak for itself:

SmashCapps is a huge fan of Super Smash Flash 2 (Black Mage for life!) and hopes people have been enjoying this series. Be sure to follow him on Twitter to discuss Super Smash Flash 2 and all things Smash.

Last edited:

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
I hope that SSF2 becomes bigger. I think it's great besides the fact that all the costumes are just hue-switches and there's a lot of fan service characters. Other than those two minor points, I feel this game should be at bigger tournaments. But slowly Flash games are dying and the fact that the controls are up to the owner of the pc. What if it was ported to a standard PC engine, and had Wii U controller support.

Taylor Nicty

Smash Rookie
Nice love the article love the combo video love you for this SmashCapps!

Last edited:

Filosafer

Smash Apprentice
I really want to like SSF2. But in a game like smash, having lower framerate and resolution sprites with a really odd camera means it's hard to tell what you're opponent is doing at most points. Makes it just a fun game on the side, like Brawl- for me.

TShow

Smash Rookie
Thank you for this article smashcapps. This game has tons of unseen potential, the community isn't the biggest and the game still has tons to offer even in its unfinished state. Over at the mcleodgaming forums there is an entire section dedicated to ssf2 exclusive content and anyone interested in getting involved and helping this game and community grow should check it out.

TTYK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EJ_Locke
Looks so unbalanced lol. All the characters shown in the video need some nerfs because combo game is ****ing insane.

TitanMG

Smash Rookie
Glad to see an article about one of the greatest friends I've met with my time playing this game. Thanks for also including my combo video. :D

Looks so unbalanced lol. All the characters shown in the video need some nerfs because combo game is ****ing insane.
People don't DI, or a combo is on a computer. I would know, since I edited it.

TheComebackKid

Smash Rookie
LunarySSF2, dude I'm 14 and I'm a Marth main (at least until they release Falco). I have to say that your Meta Knight is scary. If you see ReekdogDoesSmash anywhere, that's me.

Yoshiblaze77

Smash Rookie
NNID
Yoshiblaze
3DS FC
0963-2033-9331
Switch FC
SW-0258-5645-0023
Amazing article about someone who I never got a chance to play, but respected a lot. Wonder who's next...

TTYK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EJ_Locke
Glad to see an article about one of the greatest friends I've met with my time playing this game. Thanks for also including my combo video. :D

People don't DI, or a combo is on a computer. I would know, since I edited it.
DI doesnt mean anything if the hitstun on all the moves are too large, even if you do DI, it wont mean much, because the huge hitstun lets you over come it.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
DI doesnt mean anything if the hitstun on all the moves are too large, even if you do DI, it wont mean much, because the huge hitstun lets you over come it.
The hitstun is not that big, you're exaggerating a little. Good DI means a lot. Like for example the fthrow chaingrab would not have worked with up DI.

Last edited:

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
SSF2's combo game is kind of reminiscent of 64 and Melee with Brawl/Sm4sh airdodges thrown into the mix really. The combos might seem overpowered coming from Smash 4, but in a game like SSF2 it's completely fine. This is a game where most characters have kill confirms off of a grab or tilts. Super long combos aren't too common, though, as shown by the combo video, are pretty doable.

Character balance is actually really good. The gap between Meta Knight (best) and Chibi Robo (worst) is noticeable enough, but Chibi is still viable and can perform well. Kind of like Eliot in Dead or Alive 5.

It's probably best to watch some SSF2 high level play to get a grasp of what the game is like. Here are some examples:

SoldierSunday (Mario) vs. TSON (Ichigo) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97yqNaUPyQw
WRXJoey (Bomberman) vs. Kyoz (ZSS) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVoC14Xtht0

Last edited:

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
If that grab string in the meta knight video was a legit chaingrab, that is literally the stupidest **** i have ever seen.

TheComebackKid

Smash Rookie
I've been able to tank a hit from DK's full charged punch by DIing into it. I could be at 100% and I received no knockback. Glitch or no?

DescendedSun

Smash Rookie
After looking at this article and the previous one, it has inspired me to play this game a lot more than I have been lately.

I had slowly disappeared after Lunary had beaten me at that tournament. I had spent time learning more ways to look at the game. So now I am planning on improving again. Thank for creating these articles, they have made me look into the game once again.

dandeto

Smash Apprentice
That Captain Falcon though! haha! I have played the game for awhile. I have played as almost all of the characters. as Captain Falcon and metaknight, but mataknight has SO many options. Even though he has no projectiles and can hardly recover with his up B, what mataknight can do is ridiculous. Its cool to see this game receive recognition.

J-Dot

Smash Rookie
After seeing Melee impossible and actually trying the demo, has anyone tried Turbo Mode as well? It looks insane, but I can't get the whole concept down, so all my combos look so anti-hype.

Last edited:

Aera

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty sure you can DI out of that Meta Knight chaingrab...

Top Bottom