• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Website Updates: Item Information

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
The main Super Smash Bros. website was recently updated with new information regarding items, assist trophies, and Pokeballs following the Shulk reveal via Nintendo Direct. Most of these items were previously known through PotD's, other Directs, and seen during the demos. Obviously, not all of the goodness were revealed but enough that it should satisfy fans for the time being. Here are some pictures and descriptions of Assist Trophies shown on the main website:

Assist Trophies

Math is Smashing!
The main character of sorts from the Brain Age series, Mr. Kawashima, is a very intellectual man who is a genius at all types of math. According to the main site "The good doctor from Brain Age likes to hang out off the stage and fling numbers at the fighters. When the numbers collide and equal 10, it will cause a giant explosion. You can change the direction of the number bubbles by attacking them." He appears to function a bit like Andross albeit with the entire "numbers exploding" gimmick.

"Do you know how that makes me feel inside? Furious! Outraged! Sick with anger!"

Ghirahim was previously shown a few weeks up in the Picture of the Day though it wasn't shown exactly what he could do. It appears he will magically teleport around the stage while slashing his opponents with his sword. According to the main website "Ghirahim appeared in The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. He moves like an acrobat and will attack with both sword and knife. Attacks against him will not fell him, and he can even teleport back into action should he get launched off the stage." This makes this character almost invisible to the players fighting on the screen.

You may be an electric rat but I am an electric GODDESS!

Phosphora hails from the Kid Icarus series and is Viridi's right-hand Goddess and sides with the Forces of Nature. She commands a wide variety of electrical powers in which she uses on the battlefield to great affect. On the main website: "Phosphora first appeared in Kid Icarus: Uprising. This cool beauty will soar through the sky at high speed and shoot lightning bolts. Attacking her will make her flinch, but you cannot defeat her." It appears players can slightly damage some Assist Trophies which will cause them to flinch or some knock back. Some, like Starfy, can be defeated, but Phosphora cannot.

Pokeballs

I'll teach you to try and steal form my nest!

Fletchling hails from Pokemon X and Y and is a dual Normal and Flying type. Its later evolutions change into Flying and Fire types. Fletchling appears to hop along the ground; looking cut and using Peck to peck at nearby opponents. "Fletchling will follow its target around annoyingly and peck them numerous times." I foresee this Pokemon annoying and frustrating players as it hops along the stage; delivering small but painful pecks.

Breakdancing Pokemon style
Inkay hails from Pokemon X and Y and is a dual Dark and Psychic type Pokemon. It has the ability to daze and confuse enemies. It seems to be a stationary Pokemon that doesn't move around the stage much. It uses it's signature attack "Topsy-Turvy" to throw off its opponents balance. "You can make opponents fall over with Inkay's Topsy-Turvy. Once your rivals fall down, they are extremely vulnerable." Inkay appears to function a bit like the banana minus the opponent having to slip on it for it to work.

How to Train your Ghost Dragon

Giratina is one of the Legendaries from Pokemon Diamond, Pearl, and Plantinum and is a dual Ghost and Dragon type Pokemon. It has an imposing figure and powerful otherworldly abilities. It utilizes the attack "Dragon Breath" which is a staple in most Dragon type move sets. According to the main site: "Giratina shoots out a whirlwind by using Dragon Breath. If you don't escape it in time, you can get carried off the screen." It is unknown if this does damage but it seems to carry the opponents away from the stage and into the blast zone. I still think "Shadow Force" would had been a better option.

Items

Not the bees! Not the bees!!!! KO'ing me won't bring back your dang honey!
The Beehive is a new item from the Animal Crossing franchise. In Animal Crossing, a beehive will often fall to the ground should player shake the tree. The consequence? A massive horde of bees descends on the player and stings him or her thus disfiguring the face (unless the player can catch the bees in time.) In Super Smash Bros., it can be thrown and upon impact; will release the hordes of buzzing bees. "Grab this and chuck it at an opponent. If it hits, the bees will swarm around your enemy and sting him or her for damage. However, if you hit one on the ground, the hive will shatter and the bees will come after you! Be careful around these things!" This items can either aid or hinder you; especially if the Beehive does not make contact with the opponent. Watch out!

Just wait until the PETC hears about this!

The Cucco is an unique and new item from the Legend of Zelda series. Within Legend of Zelda, if Link was to hit the Cucco repeatedly, the Cucco summons his friends and his proceed to attack Link. The Cucco functions much like i Super Smash Bros. If attacked enough, it will summon its feathery friends and they will proceed to attack, pester, and peck at the opponents. "Once it takes enough damage, a Cucco becomes enraged and calls its feathered friends in for backup, attacking the last player that struck it. As you're intently attacking an opponent, be careful not to inadvertently hit a Cucco!" This makes this a pretty terrifying weapon and a lot of good strategies such as getting your enemies to land the last hit.

This is my boomstick!
The Daybreak is a very powerful weapon that comes from the Kid Icarus series. A one shot weapon that comes in 3-parts but, once assembled, unleashes a powerful storm of energy. This is the second 3-part item along with the Dragoon. According to the website: "This sacred device comes in three parts. Gather them all to assemble the weapon and begin firing high-powered beams that ignore fighters' shields!" The items seems to negate all defensive techniques and abilities and delivers one heck of a punch.

In Conclusion...
Much like the Music section of the site, it is likely that it will be updated with further information regarding new items, assist trophies, and Pokeballs so continue to check back for further information about them! With the Japanese release of the 3DS version being less than two weeks away, it makes one wonder how much content will be packed in the game. It wouldn't be a surprise if the fans only known just the surface of the game. How do you feel about these items? What would you like to see added in terms of items, assist trophies, and Pokeballs? How do you feel about the website and how it updates? Sound off in the comments below!

Venus would like to see Fiora as an Assist Trophy, Hawlucha as a Pokeball Pokemon, and Rare Candy as an item. Follow @VenustoBloom and let him know which ones you would like to see.

Last edited:

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
I kinda like how Sakurai doesn't really mention these small updates to the site, it sure does make for a nice surprise.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I wanted Mr. Kawashima to be a stage boss on a brain age stage, that would have been cool.

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
From the Smash Bros website, and I quote -
Two days. It's an excellent recap for people who don't check the website every half a second.
Even though I check the website every half second, I appreciate these updates. With all the leaks and media embargoes flying around, sometimes these smaller updates can be easily overlooked.

Thank you.

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
Ryuta Kawashima is officially the first real-life person to be featured in Smash. Now there is no excuse for Reggie.

Turmalinium

Smash Apprentice
I bet Mario will burn those Cuccos and make some fried chicken out of them. :troll:

Last edited:

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
Ryuta Kawashima is officially the first real-life person to be featured in Smash. Now there is no excuse for Reggie.
Dr.Kawashima in Smash Is like a Dream Come true....Ok! I will be Vocal Supporters of him and Isabelle to get in Smash Bros 5!:chuckle:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Giant floaty math teacher...head...thing.

Creepy.

Also, lol at Dragon Breath being a staple on most move sets. It's not.

Last edited:

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
I'd be with you for Kawashima :D
We need to Make a Thread as Soon as Smash 4 comes out For Kawashima!

Giant floaty math teacher...head...thing.
Creepy.
Also, lol at Dragon Breath being a staple on most move sets. It's not.
He's a Real Life Person LOL Now Reggie Has a better chance:p

Last edited:

joomragre

Smash Cadet
This game has me more hyped than the white Destiny bundle I'm picking up soon.I have come to the realization that every smash game will have clones, every smash will have Wtf characters but most importantly every smash game will be epic with the amount of content it has from now on. And that ladies and gentlemen makes me a happy camper.

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
Thanks for the news, another one of my most wanted newcomers are dead. ;-;
? Kawashima? I never expected him I really wanted him but never expected but once Smash 4 Hits Store Shelves We could make a Thread for The Good Doctor

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I've never seen anything about Brain Age so when I first saw that human head I thought that was Iwata himself.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Kawashima sounds like the best assist trophy ever. I wish there was a 'random assist trophy switch' so I wouldn't have to put up with Nintendog, Devil, and the like, though.

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
That's not as bad as Ike being on the With Anyone Online Option
I actually think Giratina's move being Dragon Breath is great. The fact it's an extended whirlwind of Unrelenting Force only makes it more awesome to me.

Ike not being on the 'With Friends' thing is a crime though.

Jaker0918

Smash Rookie
The way Sakurai describes Ghirahim, like he can have an actual moveset.... GAH! :cry:

Last edited:

NintyTheRagekid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NintyTheRageKid
3DS FC
5455-9431-1608
Switch FC
SW-2209-3322-3333
Mr. Kawashima...
Every time I see him, I think about his "devil mode".

Last edited:
Top Bottom