• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Academy Presents : SHFFL

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Short Hop Fast Fall L-Cancel, or SHFFL for short, is an incredibly important technique used in competitive Super Smash Bros play.

SHFFLing is the quickest and least laggy way to perform an aerial attack. By L-canceling an aerial attack out of a short hop, the player can reduce the amount of landing lag their character has and drastically increase their chance of comboing or following up. The technique can be a little tricky to pull off at first, but is essential to a competitive players arsenal. Luckily, Super Smash Academy has a great guide to get beginners SHFFLing like pros in no time.

Everyday I'm SHFFLing

Now that you've mastered the SHFFL, don't forget to check out Super Smash Academy on YouTube for more informative and interesting Smash Bros videos.

TewnLeenk is a writer for Smashboards and thinks that Super Smash Academy is an awesome and informative channel. Go subscribe! Follow and chat with him on Twitter @TewnLeenk.

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
Did this really warrant a tutorial? Nevertheless, great content from the Smash academy, as always.

J.P

Smash Journeyman
NNID
3DS FC
2466-2692-8715
Did this really warrant a tutorial?
Actually yes, SHFFL requires precise timing and perfect knowledge of short hop and L-cancel. Either you don't play Melee/PM and don't know how hard it can be or you are so good that you forgot how hard for us Melee/PM beginners is :/

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
Actually yes, SHFFL requires precise timing and perfect knowledge of short hop and L-cancel. Either you don't play Melee/PM and don't know how hard it can be or you are so good that you forgot how hard for us Melee/PM beginners is :/
I didn't say that it didn't need prescise timing, but the tutorial is basically, tap jump, input aerial, fast fall, press L with good timing.
It's a tough thing to get down, but it's by no means complicated, just a rough sequence to develop into muscle memory, much like things like DACUS or pivot USmash.

J.P

Smash Journeyman
NNID
3DS FC
2466-2692-8715
I didn't say that it didn't need prescise timing, but the tutorial is basically, tap jump, input aerial, fast fall, press L with good timing.
It's a tough thing to get down, but it's by no means complicated, just a rough sequence to develop into muscle memory, much like things like DACUS or pivot USmash.
I think you don't understand the purpose of tutorials mate, tutorials aren't made exclusively for hard things, a lot of simple things, video game and none video game related have tutorials. Thing is, not everyone knows said sequence, this is why this tutorial was made, so people can know the sequence you call "simple" (yet I doubt you know what you are talking about considering you compared it to pivot USmash).

LEGOF

Smash Rookie
NNID
keimakona
3DS FC
2036-6575-6309
This series reminds me Wak's Advanced SSBM videos. This series could have as much of an impact to someone else just like Wak's video did to me.

Kirbymeister

Smash Cadet
NNID
hazzahbazzah
3DS FC
3823-8971-1294
Good thing this came out: I've been meaning to brush up on my Melee skills.
A great video, as always!

masterpad

Smash Journeyman
i love shffling especialy using L-trigger for Landcancel, it goes along with fast-falling using D-stick very well

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
I'll never understand how some people think this takes a great deal of skill or precision to do. I think I was able to get this around 90 percent of the time within less than a half hour of learning about it. It's not hard at all.

Evilzpet

Smash Rookie
Did this really warrant a tutorial? Nevertheless, great content from the Smash academy, as always.
Don't be an ass. Yes it does so new people can learn. I don't see what the problem is exactly? Not everybody can be perfect like you and can know everything without being taught.

Last edited:

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
I think you don't understand the purpose of tutorials mate, tutorials aren't made exclusively for hard things, a lot of simple things, video game and none video game related have tutorials. Thing is, not everyone knows said sequence, this is why this tutorial was made, so people can know the sequence you call "simple" (yet I doubt you know what you are talking about considering you compared it to pivot USmash).
Yeah, that was a poor comparison.
I forget that a lot of Smash Academy's videos are for the fundamentals, so I guess this is fitting.

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
WHAT YEAR IS THIS
The year is 20XX. Everyone gave up on learning Fox to TAS levels of perfection and Bowser is somehow now perceived to be the best character in the game.

hype machine

Smash Journeyman
The hardest part of SHFFLing for me is fast falling with consistency.Does anyone else have this problem

MCDMars

Smash Rookie
I feel like that's what makes it a great tutorial. It shows you what a lot of basic movements look like, and tells you how to get those right and work towards the SHFFL rather than just learn it all at once

Top Bottom