• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Academy Presents : Mewtwo

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer

Mewtwo. The genetic Pokemon. This psychic type powerhouse was created by scientists and was designed to be the ultimate Pokemon. After escaping and destroying the lab in which it was created, Mewtwo went on to terrorize unprepared trainers and Smash Bros characters alike.

After first appearing as a playable character in Super Smash Bros Melee and the being cut in Brawl, Mewtwo finally made his triumphant return in Super Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS as a DLC fighter. Mewtwo is fairly new, and mastering characters does take a lot of time and training, but luckily Super Smash Academy has a video guide for all those prospective Mewtwo players out there. Check out the guide for combos, fundamentals and much more.

Now that you've mastered Mewtwo, don't forget to check out Super Smash Academy on YouTube for more informative and interesting Smash Bros videos.

TewnLeenk is a writer for Smashboards and needs to work on his Mewtwo play. Mewtwo is one of his favourite Pokemon after all. Follow and chat with him on Twitter @TewnLeenk.

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490
inb4 Awful **** jokes incoming!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Diagonal_Smash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
YayConformity
3DS FC
5069-4015-5843
Good tutorial. Only thing sorta wrong about it, is that you don't need to use confusion to change direction before using a shadow ball. All you have to do is hit B to shoot the shadow ball, and quickly flick the other direction. That will turn you. No need for anything more.

Wintry

Smash Cadet
Wish the 28th would come so more people could play him. Would love to see more tech from the community.

- A #15ther

ssbMars

Fox only 420XX Blaze it
All you have to do is hit B to shoot the shadow ball, and quickly flick the other direction. That will turn you. No need for anything more.
That's entirely true and may be applicable in some situations. However, since you usually have mucho momento while floating around the edge of the stage, it's easier to input confusion, and taking the extra time doesn't really leave you open for punish. But if you choose to just do B and mess it up by going in the wrong direction, you've just eliminated all your options, if not your ability to recover.

Trigspro789

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trigspro789
3DS FC
3566-2013-0217
Looks like M2K will be wrecking souls in Tournaments now.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
#waitingfor28th
#screwedbyRegions
#ownaJapanese3DS
#ownanAmericanWiiU
#doesnotcrossoverregions
#getwiththetimesNintendo
#IdontevenplayMewtwo

I am excited to get my hands on Mewtwo though. Cool video.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
The day will come when I can finally pay for anything online and I buy Mewtwo, and I will use no other character. I still gotta wait godda**it.

Eitherway, nice tips for Mewtwo!

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
That's entirely true and may be applicable in some situations. However, since you usually have mucho momento while floating around the edge of the stage, it's easier to input confusion, and taking the extra time doesn't really leave you open for punish. But if you choose to just do B and mess it up by going in the wrong direction, you've just eliminated all your options, if not your ability to recover.
To be fair, it only takes a couple tries to get down a B-reverse. Otherwise, it's pretty easy to counter that style of recovery if side B is used to turn for neutral B. It may work on a low level playing field, but that leaves the player way open for additional edge-guarding once a opponent know the spacing of that kind of recovery.

Last edited:

Smasher-LTIMT

Smash Cadet
NNID
battlefront157
3DS FC
2165-7609-0420
I haven't watched this yet, and I already mained him, but I am willing to learn more about Mewtwo ^-^

9Tales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
9Tales_of_Hoenn
Similar to Confusion the first hit of Mewtwo's jab also starts a lot of mixups. It's good because it pops enemies slightly off their feet so you're opponent's only options are to jump or go through a standard landing animation (or for some characters throw out a super fast nair)

You can follow up first jab hit with a guaranteed grab on almost everyone which is Really good. You can also do jab to Confusion to further mix ups. jab to tilt. And if your opponent opts to not mash the jump button as you land the first jab (which not many people do yet) you can even do jab to Disable, which is insanely brutal. Because jab picks them off their feet it turns them towards you so they have to take that jump option/nair or be Disabled. Until your enemies learn to jump out of the first hit of jab you can basically create a scenario where landing 1 jab = landing a charged smash. (Keep in mind that a few fast fallers Fox, Sheik etc. can actually get their shield up in time too)

Also one final note. uncharged Shadow Ball is a jab reset move so you can throw it into anticipated missed techs. At high level you obviously need to find better ways to get missed techs but Confusion can actually set up a tech scenario (especially if it catches the enemy off guard) you can actually string together Mewtwo's special like so: Confusion to weak Shadow Ball on the missed tech to Disable on the reset. Super Brutal!

Mewtwo is sooooo Cool!

Last edited:

Gui JP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Twishine
3DS FC
0791-1410-6660
Except for those of us that got him from being loyal enough to Nintendo to buy and register both versions :applejack:

#15MasterRace
I'm a college student. Patience is the only thing I have.
:c
(And my 3DS.
Cuuurrently saving up for a refurbished Wii U)

Last edited:

Diagonal_Smash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
YayConformity
3DS FC
5069-4015-5843
While that may apply to you, I don't find it any harder to turn my shadow ball. Using your confusion in the other direction just to use shadow ball has several repercussions. One, you don't have confusion anymore, which can be useful to fool your opponents, and is often vital if you're recovering low. If you're recovering high, it doesn't really matter so much. Anyways, I don't see any reason to take extra time, making things more complicated than they have to be, plus eliminating two parts of my recovery instead of one.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
While I like this video a lot, it unfortunately didn't address what seems to be his biggest weakness: Getting back to the ground.

If anyone has any tips for safely landing with Mewtwo, I would love to hear them!

Top Bottom