• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Academy Presents: Dash Dancing

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

It's been three months since Super Smash Academy posted their last video, a tutorial on how to use the Project M Debug Menu. Now they're back to help explain and teach a little bit about Dash Dancing and how it's more than just quickly pressing left and right. Give the video a watch and hopefully learn some things to apply in the game.

SmashCapps is excited to see that more videos should be coming out from these guys! Follow him on Twitter to share any other excellent Smash channels throughout the net.

SDFox

Smash Apprentice
I still like shield dancing in sm4sh better.
since it dosen't have a limit on how far you can do it.

Daybreak

Busy busy busy~
NNID
DaybreakPlz
3DS FC
1091-8175-8810
Switch FC
SW-6555-9639-6872
I like how he explains it as king of the hill and how the space you gain is important.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
I wonder what Yungtown's schedule is like, some folks out there would feel a bit put off by something as simple as dash dancing...

although, if he explained how these got slightly hampered in Smash 4, that would be nice in my book

◥θ┴θ◤ | JJ

Smash Journeyman
On the Midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
NNID
ThatGamerGuy52
3DS FC
5370-0522-3919
I can't help but wonder why Brawl & Smash 4 have such short initial dash animations -- especially the latter with its alteration/buff to pivoting (known as perfect pivoting). Seriously, just imagine how much more versatile that mechanic could be if the game had Melee-like dashes... then combine that with Melee-like dash-dancing. It would really go a long way in the neutral, and with the game focusing pretty heavily on the neutral, that would only help it substantially.

I still really enjoy playing Smash 4, but that's something that really irks me, because it's a huge missed opportunity.

Last edited:

DahremRuhar

Smash Ace
Is there really a guied for dash dancing.
No. There is no "guied." If you meant a "guide" yeah there is. It's extremely easy to do, but because it looks cool many people dash-dance for the sake of dash-dancing without understanding why and how it should be applied. It was necessary. K? K.

Slightly more on-topic: this video was so good. It was clear, concise and accurate. Comparing Smash to King of the Hill was a great thought.

Last edited:

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
No. There is no "guied." If you meant a "guide" yeah there is. It's extremely easy to do, but because it looks cool many people dash-dance for the sake of dash-dancing without understanding why and how it should be applied. It was necessary. K? K.

Slightly more on-topic: this video was so good. It was clear, concise and accurate. Comparing Smash to King of the Hill was a great thought.
I should hire you instead of using spellcheck!
Dash-dancing is extremely trivial.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I just wish it didn't look so ridiculous.

The reason casual players dismiss dashdancing and wavedashing as glitches is largely because they make the characters look like epileptic frogs.

Cody645

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cody645
3DS FC
5429-7944-5036
Oh my god, it's about time SSA did something! Glad they're back!

PandaPanda Senketsu

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5241-2412-1689
All of these weird movement options are what make melee's neutral so sick, it definitely has the most fast paced neutral in all of smash.

Last edited:

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman

The reason casual players dismiss dashdancing and wavedashing as glitches is largely because they make the characters look like epileptic frogs.
If I heard someone dismiss moving ur character back and forth as a "glitch" I would literally laugh at them.

Also, I think dashdancing looks sick. Its so intimidating when u play someone with a good dashdance.

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
I like that they specifically said that this tech isn't just to show off.
Most people new to high level Smash will just do it thinking it's just what the high level Smashers do to look cool. It's not for that, it can be, but it is a legitimate series of movements that can help you get the upper hand in the neutral.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator

This post is what trying too hard looks like, people.

DraculaSb

Smash Cadet
I like that they specifically said that this tech isn't just to show off.
Most people new to high level Smash will just do it thinking it's just what the high level Smashers do to look cool. It's not for that, it can be, but it is a legitimate series of movements that can help you get the upper hand in the neutral.
Holy moly you couldn't have said it any better! It's very good for baiting.

SDFox

Smash Apprentice
Please don't give spamming rolls a fancy name.
It's not spamming rolls, its running back in forth using the shield to cancel the turn around animation.

Last edited:

whoknowswhat

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1864-9884-2286
It's not spamming rolls, its running back in forth using the shield to cancel the turn around animation.
Nowhere nearly as efficient. Way too slow. Even if that were a real thing.

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
Sheild stops, its a melee thing too and very important to certain characters Dashdance (see PewPewU's Marth). Actually surprised it wasn't I this video. It happens so fast in Melee you often barely see the shield come out.

SDFox

Smash Apprentice
Nowhere nearly as efficient. Way too slow. Even if that were a real thing.
It's not. By any means, but relative to the speed of each game it's pretty close, and you can do it off of run animation, as opposed to the start up for the run.

coilerr

Smash Cadet
w

it looks amazing what are you talking about
being caught it your awful run stop animation or turn animation thats disgusting

Top Bottom