• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Paper Mario (Gamecube)

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
What at first glance appears to be a 2D sidescroller ripped straight from the pages of the Paper Mario universe soon turns into a 3D action-adventure. The action sprawls across eight worlds filled with traps, puzzles, bizarre mysteries and items that often draw themselves out of thin air. Mario won't be the only character in the game though, as Peach and Bowser will also be playable.

I see the cube isn't dead just yet. This looks absolutly awsome. I love the whole 2d ->3d, which looks like the big feature of the game. Story-wise? I've got no clue what's going on. The only thing that hints at a storyline is this screen.

This is going to be VERY interesting.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
ROFL at that last pic.

This looks prety nice, but what's with the giant pixelated Marios?

Revolutions

BRoomer
BRoomer
these fields are optional but will enhance your on
Last Gamecube game I'll be buying.

(Twilight Princess is a Wii game now basically blah blah blah)

That perspective stuff is awesome. I thought Paper Mario (the 'Cube one, never played it on N64) had some of the coolest art direction I'd seen in a game. I forget the name of the area, but that black and white forest? Awesome. This looks like it'll blow t'other one out of the water.

This + New Super Mario Bros. DS + Yoshi's Island 2 DS + Super Mario Galaxy = YEAH

Flok

BRoomer
BRoomer
Oh ****, this looks really nice! They didn't mention this at the conference, but wow it's another Paper Mario style game, and ANOTHER Mario platformer announced for the future, like the ones the dude above me mentioned.

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
Awwww, Bowser looks so cute in that last pic! And I knew it; Peach is a *****. She is an interspecial hussy. All those suggestions of Mario being Peach's pimp have got to be true. That last picture is just one of Bowser's role-play fantasies and he hired Peach to fill in the bridal position. It's the only answer.

Anyway, this game looks fantastic. Craftstar is right on the money: Nintendo is Pink Floyd and Super Paper Mario is UmmaGumma. This is the most eccentric looking game I've probably ever seen.

nookrulz

Smash Ace
I'm hoping for it to be more of the Atom Heart Mother. Those screens made me excited and made me go wtf at the same time.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
instant sell. woo.

the bowser mini levels in the last paper mario were hilarious, so getting to play as him again in this will be fun :D also, isnt that level 1-2 from the original game!!!!!! they have brought it back and put a 3d twist on it. it all looks so crazy.

has anyone seen the video floating around online?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Gamespot's got it I'm downloading it atm.

EDIT: Wow. Just wow. From what's in the treailer, it looked a lot more like a cooler version of just normal Mario Bros. Jumping on Goombas, kicking koopa shells into goombas....Two interesting things though.

1. Those 2 wierd outlines that are behind Peach and Mario seem to be Partners like Goombella and so forth.

2. Looks like you can change from Mario to Peach and Vice-versa in game with the press of a button (no menu)

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
So, let's see...FOUR new Mario platformers in ONE year?

2 for DS, 1 for GCN, and one for Wii?
Heck yeas.

Depending on when this game comes out, it may be the last game I play on my GCN.
Either way, I'm gettin' a Wii.

But snap, does this game look sweet! Playing as Mario, AND Peach, AND Bowser, in a 2-D classic Mario game?
And I am SO looking forward to what RPG elements they implement.
The art style is looking amazing.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
I just noticed that some rainbow coloured butterfly+ Bombomb/block outline is always folling the character arounds.

And a lot of math....

Fantasia

BRoomer
BRoomer
Switch FC
SW-3476-8294-6601
I LOVE the art. The trees are so cool, and so are the clouds. I so can't wait for this game.

Okurama

Smash Journeyman
Tijuana, CA (yeah, i know i change my location, AG
from the looks on the trailer, this game will not be RPG!!! (you take the fun of it :( ), well atleast i try it, if i like it you can call me gy for the rest of my life, lol (obviously not, i LOVE it, the game looks hella cool, and you can kick@$$ with bowser again ;), so this game going to be my last game for gamecube, i really don't what to waste much because went i buy the wii, maybe it will be untill i stop buying things, lets say never :p)

supermariopro101

Smash Journeyman
nookrulz said:
I'm hoping for it to be more of the Atom Heart Mother. Those screens made me excited and made me go wtf at the same time.
Meh. Atom Heart Mother was good indeed but Pink Floyd at the time had just lost Syd Barrett and did not know where their real talent stood. Meddle was the first album that initiated Pink Floyd's love for sounds. However, I would go with Dark Side Of The Moon sincemost people know about that album. ;)

I'm not so sure about this game. Paper Mario was ingenius in the way it was written. Though the turn-based system was elementary, it could make you think at times. Alas, Paper Mario 2 tried to focus a little to much about options: crowd unnecessary, buying items from a store took forever if you wanted a lot, the story line didn't make since(Come on, you have to have Mario villians in a Mario game) who are the X's, Princess Peach and the affectionate computer was pretty remedial and just plain absurd.

As you can see, many things about Paper Mario 2 can make you think about buying this game. Intelligent Systems has to step it up. I need to see more information before I even consider it. Undecided... :ohwell:

Okurama said:
you can kick@$$ with bowser again
Again meh... Bowser's story line, while hilarious, was really unnecessary and I felt like it was half-*** done. Indeed this will probably be the last game I buty for Gamecube as well(If I do)Incidently, what's with the mathematical equations in the background?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Paper Mario 2 was awsome. The croud mechanic was rather cool, and if you didn't like the X-Nauts, you're going to hate Mario Galaxy. Or both Mario And Luigi RPG's on handhelds. Would you perfer that it's always bowser with the same old same old? From the few people I know who have played both Paper Mario's both agreed that PM2 was awsome.

I'm willing to bet that there is some RPG parts to it, because it reminds me a lot of PM@ when Mario had the badge that let him kill low HP opponents wth a single jump without entering the Stage. However I could be wrong, but I hope not. :/

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
So release date is simply 2006? Gonna feel kinda weird play TP and this on the Wii... Ah well! I'll do it anyways. Mario RPGs are always great.

edit: or whatever the hell genre it is.

supermariopro101

Smash Journeyman
You've probably never been hit by a daisy in the pit of 100 trials. I was on the 79th floor I think when the amazee daisy put the WHOLE crowd to sleep. Since your star power comes from the crowd I couldn't heal. Eventually that stupid daisy's attack that does 20 damage got to me. I WAS PISSED!!!

I understand that Paper Mario 2 was okay. There are a lot worse Mario games out there
(Mario's Missing). But the main problem was the lack of a good story was a turn down. Yes, I would perfer bowser the old way. Paper Mario > Paper Mario 2 easily in my opinion.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
I got to the end of Paper Mario 2 but never finished it. There was some kind of long, tedious process of going back to every single area you've ever visited to find something (I forget), so I never finished the game.

I've also never finished Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, because you have to fight the d*** final boss with 1 health each.

Here's to a game I actually finish.

And here's to a Geno cameo. :p

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
McFox said:
I've also never finished Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, because you have to fight the d*** final boss with 1 health each.
Just avoid 2 attacks then use ultra nuts.

Gonzales

Smash Journeyman
McFox's Dead Body said:
I got to the end of Paper Mario 2 but never finished it. There was some kind of long, tedious process of going back to every single area you've ever visited to find something (I forget), so I never finished the game.

I don't remember having to go back to everyplace, but there is an extremly long cutscene thing before you fight the final boss. If you lose, you have to watch it again. I had to sit through it several times before I won.

The boss of M&L: SS was near impossible to beat. (Took me 2 days and a few dozen tries)

On topic: This looks interesting, although I'd like it to be another RPG instead of a platformer.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
He's refering to the Bulleton board "We need help" Quests.

Gonzales

Smash Journeyman
Mic_128 said:
He's refering to the Bulleton board "We need help" Quests.
Oh yeah. I did a few, then got bored with them and went through The Pit of 100 Trials. (That boss wasn't as difficult as I'd been led to believe.)

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
I beat the boss at The Pit of 100 trials and the Shadow Queen thingy without upgrading my partners once. The Pit wasn't even that hard. Just one part that made me nervious because of the daisies. But if you use the star power to kill them all right away, it shouldn't be a problem.

LemonManX

Smash Lord
Now this game caught my interest, and took me by surprise. And like many others are saying, it will probably be the last Cube game I buy (Because we all know the Twilight Princess argument lol) but yeah, I can't wait to see more of it. And GOD I hope Luigi is in it somewhere and is as funny as he was in Paper Mario 2.

Sandy

Smash Champion
Super Paper Mario (スーパーペーパーマリオ, Sūpā Pēpā Mario?) is a Platform/role-playing video game currently in development by Intelligent Systems, a division of Nintendo. Originally developed for the Nintendo GameCube, it is now scheduled to be released for the Wii on April 9, 2007 in North America and April 19, 2007 in Japan.
It is similar to the previous two Paper Mario titles and Super Mario Bros. The game will combine side-scrolling 2D gameplay with free roaming 3D graphics and to a somewhat lesser extent, RPG elements (unlike the RPG-style gameplay of previous Paper Mario games).

Count Bleck overlooks the wedding of Princess Peach and Bowser

Princess Peach is forced to marry Bowser by Count Bleck; a book called the Dark Prognosticus predicts that the marriage will open a dimensional rift that will engulf the universe. Then, Mario is transported to the town of Flipside, where the Light Prognosticus states that a hero matching Mario's description can close the rift. To accomplish this, Mario must find the eight items called Pure Hearts.
According to a fact sheet, Luigi was accompanying Mario to find Bowser when Princess Peach disappeared, and Count Bleck is said to have taken Luigi away as well.

Gameplay

Unlike previous Paper Mario games, there is no turn-based fighting in Super Paper Mario; the game is predominately a side-scrolling platformer. Some RPG elements have been added; for example, the traditional scoring system doubles as an experience point system. After jumping on an enemy, the player can shake the controller for extra points. Characters are controlled by holding the Wii Remote sideways like a NES controller.

Mario can view levels from a third dimension, giving access to places otherwise unreachable.

Characters and abilities

Mario, Peach, Bowser, and at least one other character are playable. Luigi is seen in a screenshot, the current title screen, and the current box art.
Each playable character has different traits and a character-specific ability.Mario's ability allows the player to view the two-dimensional world from the side, along a third dimension. This allows Mario to bypass obstacles that appear impassible when viewed in two dimensions. Staying in this mode causes Mario to gradually lose power from his ability meter, and then eventually health. Princess Peach uses a parasol to float long distances, and can also duck under her parasol for protection. Bowser can breathe fire, dealing more damage than a normal attack.

Pixls

Pixls give the player new abilities, reminiscent of helpers in other Paper Mario games.
Tippy allows the player to point the Wii Remote at the screen like a spotlight. This spotlight can give more information about enemies, allies, items, and surroundings, and reveal hidden objects.
Thoreau gives the power to pick up and throw enemies and can be interchanged with other Pixls.
Boomer can be placed like a bomb that leaves behind pixelated fire and dust.
Slim allows the character to turn sideways and become paper thin, making it possible to slip between bars or other narrow places.
One of the Pixls will act as a floating platform that can carry the player across certain hazards.

Power-ups

The E3 trailer showcased new abilities and power-ups, including a space helmet: Mario is seen floating in mid-air, shooting enemies with a ray gun, and running sideways down a wall. Newer videos and information reveal more items available in the game. On the subject of Badges, it is unknown what kinds are available in this game, given their prominence in previous Paper Mario games. The following is a list of items slated to appear in the game, some of which have appeared in preceding Paper Mario games:

Super Paper Mario alludes to preceding Mario games by giving each character a giant, 8-bit, sprite-like form

Health Items

These items are used on the player's character in order to restore his or her status.
Mushroom: Restores 10 heart points (HP).
Life Shroom: If the player's HP drops to 0, the Life Shroom will restore it by 5 points.
Shroom Shake: Restores 10 HP and cures poison.
Horsetail: Restores 7 HP and cures poison.
Dried Shroom: Restores 1 HP and cures poison.
Turtlely Leaf: Reduces all damage to the player by half.

Combat Items

These items are used against enemies.
Fire Burst: When used, every enemy visible on the screen bursts into flames. The effectiveness of the Fire Burst depends on how vigorous the player shakes the Wii Remote up and down while performing the attack.
Shell Shock: Rams into enemies when kicked.
Pal Pills: These cause a group of miniature 8-bit Marios to follow the player around and act as a personal army. Coincidentally, a similar concept appeared in the Super Mario World cartoon in the episode Rock TV, where Yoshi and the Princess distract King Koopa and his cohorts by hitting a block which expelled a dozen tiny, mini-Marios.
POW Block
Thunder Rage: Similar to the fire burst item, this sends strikes of lightning to greatly damage all enemies shown on the screen.

Special Items

These items power-up the player's character.
Starman: Causes the character to grow to immense size (similar to the Mega Mushroom in New Super Mario Bros.), allowing him or her to crash through the level, effectively invincible. It also causes the character to appear in the form of a NES-style sprite.
Red Flower (a variation of Fire Flower): Deviating from its traditional role of allowing Mario to throw fireballs, the Red Flower speeds up time.
Slow Flower: The opposite of a Red Flower; it causes time to slow down.
Happy Flower: This item takes the shape of the Flower Points(FP) in the previous Paper Mario's, and when touched, will send coins raining down on the screen for a limited time.
Unknown
These items, although seen in game footage and screenshots, do not have any official details available that cover what they do in the game.
Honey Jar
Long-Last Shake
Sleepy Sheep
Mighty Tonic
Enemies

Since the demonstration of the game at E3, various enemies have progressively been revealed to be in the game.
E3 2006

The trailer has shown that staple Mario series enemies, such as Goombas, Koopa Troopas, and Hammer Bros. will appear.
Other characters revealed in screenshots also appear to be boss entities, such as a blocky white enemy, a chomping monster, and a giant Blooper.
2006 World Hobby Fair
A boss character based on what appears to be a mix of a Chinese dragon and Hooktail is shown in an area of desert terrain.
GDC 2007 and Nintendo Power 4/07
Squiglet - A pink square-shaped enemy. A blue variation exists that is able to shoot projectiles.
A spherical Thwomp-like enemy (first seen in Paper Mario) rolls down a slope, which can be avoided when Mario switches to 3D mode.
A small dragon-like enemy with a glowing tail has been shown. Its tail seems to be a square that, when approached, will have a head and tail pop out. The Pixl Boomer seems to be needed to defeat this enemy.
Bowser is a boss before joining Mario's party

Top Bottom