• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sukapon: The Joyful, but Reluctant Owarai Fighter

Speculator

Smash Ace
Man, I miss talking about Sukapon. There are hugely active threads for characters that are already deconfirmed. Is a comment made by Sakurai over a decade ago all it takes to kill Joy Mech Fight discussion, or do people just not really know who he is?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Man, I miss talking about Sukapon. There are hugely active threads for characters that are already deconfirmed. Is a comment made by Sakurai over a decade ago all it takes to kill Joy Mech Fight discussion, or do people just not really know who he is?
I agree. He may be unlikely, but that shouldn't stop us from talking about him.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Sakurai's comments don't really hold water since Villager's confirmation.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Sakurai's comments don't really hold water since Villager's confirmation.
It also helps that Sukapon easily fills the "Turtle" archetype that we're missing in Smash, and Sakurai's been filling in niches that were missing before (sniper for Mega Man, power-up for Wii Fit Trainer and Little Mac, Puppeteer for Rosalina).

(He would essentially be the Dhalsim of Smash Bros.. He would utilize his long "limbs" to attack passive-aggressively or defensively.)

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I definatly support but the huge curveball is I think sakurai said characters already in a street fighting based games immediately deconfirm those guys

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I definatly support but the huge curveball is I think sakurai said characters already in a street fighting based games immediately deconfirm those guys
It's not just that.

Sukapon got the "honor" of being one of the few characters that Sakurai himself told us to never expect to appear in a future Smash Bros. game.

Speculator

Smash Ace
Arise, Sukapon thread!

Joy Mech Fight was released on the Japanese Wii U Virtual Console on Wednesday. With Murasame Castle finally seeing an international release, I sure hope this is up for consideration as well.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Arise, Sukapon thread!

Joy Mech Fight was released on the Japanese Wii U Virtual Console on Wednesday. With Murasame Castle finally seeing an international release, I sure hope this is up for consideration as well.
You hear this Nintendo, we want to play as our favorite mechanical comedian legally for the first time in history. Or just ....... shut up and take my coins (or whatever currency exist in Joy Mech Fight)!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey, guys, so I know I don't come to the Sukapon thread often, but I support the guy, aaaannnd I found something which might of interest to you Sukapon supporters: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/PostReturn024.html

Apparently, there's a section on this page of the Japanese version of Super Smash Bros. for the N64's website, which I personally believe is mentioning that Sukapon (among many others) was consider (and is still considered) for playability in Smash. I just wanted to share this with you all.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Hey, guys, so I know I don't come to the Sukapon thread often, but I support the guy, aaaannnd I found something which might of interest to you Sukapon supporters: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/PostReturn024.html

Apparently, there's a section on this page of the Japanese version of Super Smash Bros. for the N64's website, which I personally believe is mentioning that Sukapon (among many others) was consider (and is still considered) for playability in Smash. I just wanted to share this with you all.
@Venus of the Desert Bloom

What's being said about Joy Mech Fight?

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I remember back in the Brawl days I supported this little guy. I'll support him again.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It's not just that.

Sukapon got the "honor" of being one of the few characters that Sakurai himself told us to never expect to appear in a future Smash Bros. game.
When and where was this?
Though, this may specifically mean we SHOULD expect him, given his specific means to mislead us

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Please do
Quote from another source:

Sukapon was “planned” at some point for Melee (actually, it’s not totally clear. It could have been (but probably wasn’t) the first Smash), but the team didn’t go through with it. Sakurai tells two fans that they probably shouldn’t expect to see Sukapon in the future. In an earlier comment, he said it was “doubtful” that the game would make it overseas.

(note: Sukapon is from the Japan-only NES game “Joy Mech Fight”, a fighting game with robots)

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/flash/syukeiken/return510.html

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/flash/syukeiken/return578.html

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/PostReturn137.html

This one isn’t a case of characters who didn’t make it, but of characters who almost didn’t make it.
Should be in one of those links, but I can't read Japanese, so I don't know which.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Quote from another source:

Sukapon was “planned” at some point for Melee (actually, it’s not totally clear. It could have been (but probably wasn’t) the first Smash), but the team didn’t go through with it. Sakurai tells two fans that they probably shouldn’t expect to see Sukapon in the future. In an earlier comment, he said it was “doubtful” that the game would make it overseas.

(note: Sukapon is from the Japan-only NES game “Joy Mech Fight”, a fighting game with robots)

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/flash/syukeiken/return510.html

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/flash/syukeiken/return578.html

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/PostReturn137.html

This one isn’t a case of characters who didn’t make it, but of characters who almost didn’t make it.
Should be in one of those links, but I can't read Japanese, so I don't know which.

This is kind of not a quotation. But I appreciate the effort none-the-less.

KimmotMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kimmotman
3DS FC
3780-9150-0743
I think Sukapon would make the perfect WTF character for this generation of Smash. A character from Nintendo's first true attempt to create a fighting game.
He's such a weird character, and adding another robot to the mix would be awesome. (R.O.B vs. Sukapon vs. MegaMan)

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I think Sukapon would make the perfect WTF character for this generation of Smash. A character from Nintendo's first true attempt to create a fighting game.
He's such a weird character, and adding another robot to the mix would be awesome. (R.O.B vs. Sukapon vs. MegaMan)
Welcome aboard! Have you ever played Joy Mech Fight?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey guys, what do about Sakurai trolling us with revealing Sukapon on Monday?:awesome: You know, despite outright de-confirming him at first. I mean look at Villager and now, Pac-Man and Mii. They were all shot down by Sakurai at first, but ended up playable eventually.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Hey guys, what do about Sakurai trolling us with revealing Sukapon on Monday?:awesome: You know, despite outright de-confirming him at first. I mean look at Villager and now, Pac-Man and Mii. They were all shot down by Sakurai at first, but ended up playable eventually.
IF Sukapon somehow made it in, he'd probably be one of the last characters revealed/a secret newcomer.

KimmotMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kimmotman
3DS FC
3780-9150-0743
Watch the Ray
Welcome aboard! Have you ever played Joy Mech Fight?
Yes I have! It's very fun for a game from it's time.

Also...Watch Rayman's Trophy hinting Sukapon :p

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
Looking at this thread makes me sad about what happened in the past but I guess I'll support. :)

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Hey guys, according to this list, how would Dukapon's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey guys, according to this list, how would Dukapon's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:
I'd say DSukapon would be a lightweight Juggling Trickster of sorts to "tie-in" with his wacky personality, but if you used him right, he could be quite the Speedy Bruiser.

Last edited:

Saint Johns

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HyperSlash
He's been my most requested character since Brawl except for Megaman and Little Mac. I need my Sukapon!!!

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
This guy belongs in smash and should be the game and watch of smash 4. I would be so excited if he got in. If he doesn't then I really hope the PMBR can put him in PM. The guy just belongs in smash.

Squishyfrog

Smash Rookie
NNID
Squishyfrog
So, uh, first post on Smashboards, figured it should be in the thread for my #1 most wanted newcomer. I even drew some fanart!

While I would be overjoyed if Sukapon made it into the playable roster of Smash 4, I won't be surprised if he doesn't and I can understand why they wouldn't include him. Nevertheless, I still hope he appears in the game as an assist trophy or at least a regular trophy.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

Actually, he'd be none of those. He'd be a turtle. Look it up. It's basically a character that has absurd reach and acts in a defensive/passive agressive way.

Top Bottom