• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sub-Zero: Challenges you to MORTAL KOMBAT!

ThyShallBeDone

Smash Rookie

Sub-Zero!
Leader of the Lin-Kuei and one of the many bad ass formally palette swapped ninjas of Mortal Kombat!

Why he should be in!
Come on guys! Sub-Zero is up there as one of the most iconic characters in fighting game... Scratch that! Video game history (He and the franchise he comes from are certainly more important than Virtua Fighter...). Sub-Zero is apart of a franchise that has had a major impact on the video game and fighting game industry as a whole, and it would be great to see Smash represent some of this (*Cough* Esrb *Cough*).

Violence!
There's no need to worry about this. Even though Sub-Zero comes from a game where one of the main selling points is the violence, it doesn't have to be present here. Heck! That's one of the main reasons I choose Sub-Zero. He has one of the safest move sets when it comes to adding a Mortal Kombat character to Smash.

Relevance to Nintendo!
Alright! Come on guys! Look are third party representation so far. I wouldn't say that Pac-Man, Mega Man, or Ryu are relevant to Nintendo (Especially when you consider the fact that Super Street Fighter V will be a PS4 exclusive). So yeah... I'm basically going to use that same argument for Sub-Zero...

History with Nintendo!
The first Mortal Kombat was on the Game Boy and Super Nintendo.
Mortal Kombat 2 was on the Game Boy, Super Nintendo, and Game Cube.
Mortal Kombat 3 was on the Game Boy, Super Nintendo, and Game Cube.
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 was on the Super Nintendo.
Mortal Kombat Trilogy was on the N64.
Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero was on the N64.
Mortal Kombat 4 was on the N64 and Game Boy Color.
Mortal Kombat Advance was exclusive to the Game Boy Advance.
Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance was on the Game Boy Advance and Game Cube.
Mortal Kombat: Tournament Edition was exclusive to the Game Boy Advance.
Mortal Kombat: Armageddon was on the Wii and had an exclusive character.
Ultimate Mortal Kombat was exclusive to Nintendo 3DS.

Move set!
I believe that Sub-Zero will have quite a unique move set (Seeing as he'll be the only Smash character to focus almost solely on ice based attacks, as well as a special gimmick I've though up). This is just an idea I had for Sub-Zero's potential move set.

Basics!
Jab: backhand-punch-finish with the slice of an ice sword (Or he could have that stupid looking string of punches from Mortal Kombat 4.)
Dash attack: dashes towards opponents, brings his fist together, and slams opponents into the ground.
U-tilt: swings an ice sword over his head
F-tilt: a strong back hand.
D-tilt: an uppercut that sends opponents flying.

Throws!
U-throw:
uppercuts opponents into the air.
F-throw: generates ice around his fist and punches his opponent forward.
D-throw: tosses opponents on the ground and then stomps on them.
B-throw: slams opponents on the ground and tosses the opponent behind him.

Specials!
N-special:
Sub-Zero sends out a blast of ice that freezes opponents.
U-special: Sub-Zero will have quite an interesting method of recovery. Sub-Zero's recovery will have him placing a sheet of ice on the ground. After this Sub-Zero will be able to appear at the spot where the sheet of ice was placed from anywhere. Not only that but the ice can trip people. However! Over time the ice will melt. If Sub-Zero is knocked of the stage then he's at a huge risk if he doesn't have the sheet of ice down. One more note! This move is based on Ice Puddle (Mortal Kombat 9) and Tombstone (Mortal Komabt vs. DC Universe).
F-special: slides towards opponents with an icy kick. This move will flip the opponent over Sub-Zero and set them up for a combo.
D-special: Sub-Zero steps back and leaves an ice clone in his after math. Opponents who come into contact with clone will be frozen (This can be done in the air just like regular Mortal Kombat.)

Special Bar!
The special bar is similar to the X-ray bar from Mortal Kombat. The bar allows players to enhance one of Sub-Zero's special moves once it's be filled. How do you do so? Be dealing or receiving damage from opponents (And you can't lose it like Little Mac's). The enhance specials will be performed by holding down the special button after activating the special.

Enhanced Special!
E/N-special:
Sub-Zero releases a beam of ice that deals decent damage and freezes opponents.
E/U-special: the sheet of ice stays out longer and will also trap opponents who step on it.
E/F-special: the gains super armor and the slide is followed by an ice blast.
E/D-special: this time Sub-Zero tosses the ice clone. If the clone comes into contact with an opponent it will do tons of damage and knock back (The move also has super armor).

Aerials!
Nair:
swings an ice sword forward.
Uair: swings an ice sword over his head.
Fair: brings his hands together and swings them forward.
Dair: comes down to the ground with an ice hammer.
Bair: swings his sword backwards.

Smashes!
U-smash:
thrust an ice sword into the air.
F-smash: swings an ice hammer forward.
D-smash: uses ice burst.
Final Smash: transforms into a large polar bear and uses three powerful slashes to deal tons of damage and send the opponent flying (Based on his animality).

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Pac Man - over 15 games on Nintendo consoles and is owned by the company co-developing Smash Bros.

Mega Man - do you really want me to list all of the **** he's been on Nintendo. Capcom consistently works with Nintendo and are on good terms.

Ryu - THE FIGHTING GAME ICON and also owned by Capcom who consistently works with Nintendo and are on good terms with them, also Street Fighter 2 on SNES.

Sub-Zero - Owned by a company that barely works with Nintendo. The entire game is based on gore, you remove the principle the character/series is based on, the character isn't the same.

Do I need to go on.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I don't expect a MK character to ever appear, though if one does, Sub-Zero is definitely the best choice.

ThyShallBeDone

Smash Rookie
Pac Man - over 15 games on Nintendo consoles and is owned by the company co-developing Smash Bros.

Mega Man - do you really want me to list all of the **** he's been on Nintendo. Capcom consistently works with Nintendo and are on good terms.

Ryu - THE FIGHTING GAME ICON and also owned by Capcom who consistently works with Nintendo and are on good terms with them, also Street Fighter 2 on SNES.

Sub-Zero - Owned by a company that barely works with Nintendo. The entire game is based on gore, you remove the principle the character/series is based on, the character isn't the same.

Do I need to go on.
Cool. So what? That doesn't mean there necessarily relevant to the company. I could also say the same for people who want Snake back in Smash. And what do you mean by fighting game icon? I'm not saying he isn't, but you can't tell Sub-Zero isn't one of the most well known characters in video game history. And no. While there is tons of gore in the Mortal Kombat games it doesn't necessarily have to be present here. Also... What do you mean by barely worked with? Did you not see the large list of Mortal Kombat games I cited? That's certainly more than Snake.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Cool. So what? That doesn't mean there necessarily relevant to the company. I could also say the same for people who want Snake back in Smash. And what do you mean by fighting game icon? I'm not saying he isn't, but you can't tell Sub-Zero isn't one of the most well known characters in video game history. And no. While there is tons of gore in the Mortal Kombat games it doesn't necessarily have to be present here. Also... What do you mean by barely worked with? Did you not see the large list of Mortal Kombat games I cited? That's certainly more than Snake.
Snake is different. He was created by Hideo Kojima, a very good friend of Sakurai. Kojima wanted Snake in the game and Sakurai put Snake in the game as a favor. Now that Kojima is leaving Konami and not on good terms, added with the fact with the situation Konami is in, I doubt Snake will return to Smash. Also about the thing that Snake didn't use guns in Smash and it didn't break his character. The difference with him and Sub-Zero, is that Snake's entire game isn't based on shooting people, its based on stealth.

Anyone can have a game on a Nintendo system... By working with them I mean, actually working with them on games and stuff. Namco co-developed Smash so of course they would get a character. Capcom has collaborated with Nintendo numerous times, most recently the Nintendo based costumes in Monster Hunter, and you know the 200+ games that are on their systems. Netherrealms barely works with Nintendo and I highly doubt any Mortal Kombat character having a sliver of a chance at making it in. Hell, I think Banjo Kazooie have a better chance and they're owned by Microsoft.

ThyShallBeDone

Smash Rookie
Snake is different. He was created by Hideo Kojima, a very good friend of Sakurai. Kojima wanted Snake in the game and Sakurai put Snake in the game as a favor. Now that Kojima is leaving Konami and not on good terms, added with the fact with the situation Konami is in, I doubt Snake will return to Smash. Also about the thing that Snake didn't use guns in Smash and it didn't break his character. The difference with him and Sub-Zero, is that Snake's entire game isn't based on shooting people, its based on stealth.

And? What does that have to do with Sub-Zero's inclusion? And Mortal Kombat isn't all about gore. It's also an extremely competitive fighting game with an extremely hard learning curve. Plus that still doesn't take away from the fact that Snake can still go around shooting people. Violence is violence. What do you do about that? Simply remove it.

Anyone can have a game on a Nintendo system... By working with them I mean, actually working with them on games and stuff. Namco co-developed Smash so of course they would get a character. Capcom has collaborated with Nintendo numerous times, most recently the Nintendo based costumes in Monster Hunter, and you know the 200+ games that are on their systems. Netherrealms barely works with Nintendo and I highly doubt any Mortal Kombat character having a sliver of a chance at making it in. Hell, I think Banjo Kazooie have a better chance and they're owned by Microsoft.
What? A large majority of their games have been on Nintendo consoles. That's also not taking into account that Netherealms has given Mortal Kombat games special treatment of Nintendo platforms multiple times. And what does Netherrealm have to work with it? The only thing they have is Mortal Kombat and Injustice. Of course they aren't going to be pumping out console exclusive everywhere.

Well... That didn't come out right at all... I really need to learn how this works.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
What? A large majority of their games have been on Nintendo consoles. That's also not taking into account that Netherealms has given Mortal Kombat games special treatment of Nintendo platforms multiple times. And what does Netherrealm have to work with it? The only thing they have is Mortal Kombat and Injustice. Of course they aren't going to be pumping out console exclusive everywhere.

Well... That didn't come out right at all... I really need to learn how this works.
Okay, Netherrealms has given Nintendo special treatment, that doesn't really matter. Platinum Games does that. The thing is, Netherrealms has worked with Nintendo once. Injustice. The rest of the Mortal Kombat games were put on Nintendo systems by other publishers like Midway. Netherrealms formed in 2011. Sub-Zero just really doesn't fit in with everyone else (I personally don't think Snake fit but Sakurai favor to Kojima). btw I looked up the exclusive Mortal Kombat games on Nintendo systems. 2 of them are ports of Mortal Kombat 3 and one is a port of Mortal Kombat Deception.

Can this argument end. You can wish for Sub-Zero all you want and vote for him. I'm not against that. I just wanted to inform you that Sub-Zero is super unlikely.

Last edited:

Capita

Smash Apprentice
NNID
n1ntendogamer
I don't expect a MK character to ever appear, though if one does, Sub-Zero is definitely the best choice.
Woah, I'd have to disagree. If anyone is going to represent MK, it would have to be Scorpion so he can do his spear move and say "get over here!"
If we were to get an MK rep, they should have a fatality as their final smash, and in classic Nintendo fashion, the blood would be censored. Later they could release a password to unlock the blood.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Woah, I'd have to disagree. If anyone is going to represent MK, it would have to be Scorpion so he can do his spear move and say "get over here!"
If we were to get an MK rep, they should have a fatality as their final smash, and in classic Nintendo fashion, the blood would be censored. Later they could release a password to unlock the blood.
I agree that Scorpion is a bit more popular, but he's less fitting. Sub-Zero is perhaps one of the more tame MK fighters with focus on ice powers which is why I feel he'd be more likely.

Not that either will happen anyway; especially not with a fatality.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I agree that Scorpion is a bit more popular, but he's less fitting. Sub-Zero is perhaps one of the more tame MK fighters with focus on ice powers which is why I feel he'd be more likely.

Not that either will happen anyway; especially not with a fatality.
I personally like Lui Kang but that's just me.

Drason

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Coke
Hell yeah, I love Sub-Zero but Scorpion is more popular and many people today are basically insensitive to gore, seriously my nephew looked at Scorpion's fatality and didn't get fazed, basically its only sexual content you have to worry about

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Hell yeah, I love Sub-Zero but Scorpion is more popular and many people today are basically insensitive to gore, seriously my nephew looked at Scorpion's fatality and didn't get fazed, basically its only sexual content you have to worry about
Well no, Sakurai isn't going to allow Sub-Zero pulling out Mario's spine...

D

Deleted member

Fatalities can't work out either way, they require that the foes HP is down and Smash primarily focuses on non-stamina matches. Just...get...rid of the thing.

Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe was a T-Rated MK game (the same rating Melee/Brawl acquired... somehow.) and saw the Mortal Kombat characters get non-gory fatalities...

Basically put, i'm darn well aware Sub-Zero/Scorps has only 1 whopping point of a chance, but being a fan of the series i think it'd be cool.

Let's also remember the heavy demand for Bayonetta, a newcomer hailing from another M Rated game. "zomg remove this ONE THING about character and it won't be the same!"

Capita

Smash Apprentice
NNID
n1ntendogamer
Fatalities can't work out either way, they require that the foes HP is down and Smash primarily focuses on non-stamina matches. Just...get...rid of the thing.
I don't see how it couldn't work. You obtain a smash ball, you stand close to your opponent, you land the initial hit and then a fatality scene begins.

D

Deleted member

I don't see how it couldn't work. You obtain a smash ball, you stand close to your opponent, you land the initial hit and then a fatality scene begins.
Well you should see how it's not working. The only thing Sub-Zero could have for a Final Smash is one of those "many-hits and then final blow" combos with a nice icy theme.

ThyShallBeDone

Smash Rookie
So did no see the animality final smash where he just slashes the opponents? I'm pretty sure Sakurai wouldn't allow for a spine rip.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
MK vs. DC showed that they are willing to tone down the violence of the MK cast if need be. Hell there was Saturday morning MK cartoon at one point. It ain't completely unreasonable.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Frankly I'm surprised Ryu got in, since Sakurai apparently stated that he'd not opt for characters from fighting games for Smash because it would be uncreative. I think Ryu is the one and only wildcard fluke in this matter, because he's basically Mr. Fighting Game and the king of crossovers, and on top of that isn't a gore fest like MK.

Let's say we live in a crazy world where Sakurai would actually consider a Mortal Kombat character.

Scorpion is more or less the face of the IP at this point, what with Netherrealms using Scorpion as their mascot, with the undying "get over here!" quote. Liu Kang was always the main character though in any sort of story or movie the game had, and is unquestionably the most tame fighter, with his first noteable "gore" move turning into a dragon and biting people in half, rather than roasting them to an ash pile or just swallowing them whole.

So I'm not sure how Sub-Zero comes into play here.

MK has done crossovers before (DC, Kratos, random horror film characters, etc.), but Smash is not one it would fit well with.

Like,

at all.

Drason

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Coke
Frankly I'm surprised Ryu got in, since Sakurai apparently stated that he'd not opt for characters from fighting games for Smash because it would be uncreative. I think Ryu is the one and only wildcard fluke in this matter, because he's basically Mr. Fighting Game and the king of crossovers, and on top of that isn't a gore fest like MK.

Let's say we live in a crazy world where Sakurai would actually consider a Mortal Kombat character.

Scorpion is more or less the face of the IP at this point, what with Netherrealms using Scorpion as their mascot, with the undying "get over here!" quote. Liu Kang was always the main character though in any sort of story or movie the game had, and is unquestionably the most tame fighter, with his first noteable "gore" move turning into a dragon and biting people in half, rather than roasting them to an ash pile or just swallowing them whole.

MK has done crossovers before (DC, Kratos, random horror film characters, etc.), but Smash is not one it would fit well with.

Like,

at all.
Sub-Zero is literally the most popular MK character the mascot is not always the most popular like how more people use Ken then Ryu

Capita

Smash Apprentice
NNID
n1ntendogamer
Sub-Zero is literally the most popular MK character the mascot is not always the most popular like how more people use Ken then Ryu
Ryu is the mascot and the most popular character. I'm not quite sure who the mascot of NetherRealms is, but I've always thought of Scorpion to be the most iconic character of Mortal Kombat. Icon ranks would be 1. Scorpion, 2. Sub-Zero, and 3. maybe Raiden. I'm not too sure though

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I'd say Scorpion would be the frontrunner for the series. Not that I'm against Subby, but Scorpion is the Netherrealm Mascot and Boon's favorite character, he's even part of their logo. Plus, who wouldn't want to hear Scorpion Kirby shout "Get over here!" in his adorable voice?

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Mortal Kombat has been an iconic game franchise worldwide despite hardly known in Japan. Indeed it does have its history with Nintendo. But it looks hard for someone from there to be on Smash. I do imagine their FS to be like lighthearted fatalities. Maybe SubZero simply freezes everyone and is able to attack them with no problem.

Also, Scorpion is pushed as the main character now that Liu Kang is evil. But then again it seems Cassandra Cage is the new main heroine. Also I've always considered Goro iconic to MK as many people who don't know much on videogames know Goro and relate him to MK. So Goro is another choice.

But Ed Boon seems to dislike Nintendo and was rather sort of open to have Scorpion on PSASBR.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
PAC-MAN not relevant to Nintendo consoles? Sorry but that's like saying ice cream isn't cold, or that water isn't wet.

SnowmanEX711

Smash Cadet
Sub Zero would be such a wild card and awesome addition. But let's be real, no way in hell will Nintendo be willing to work with an company that has pretty much neglected them over several years now (let alone a non-Japanese gaming company) for a character whose main selling point is violence. Sure you can tone it down, but still. Besides, if by some chance in hell MK gets a rep, we all know that the one that will most likely get in would be Scorpion since he's Netherrealm's mascot

Again, not hating on your suggestion, but it just looks unfortunate since Smash is lacking an Ice based character with Ice Climber's removal.

Drason

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Coke
Mortal Kombat has been an iconic game franchise worldwide despite hardly known in Japan. Indeed it does have its history with Nintendo. But it looks hard for someone from there to be on Smash. I do imagine their FS to be like lighthearted fatalities. Maybe SubZero simply freezes everyone and is able to attack them with no problem.

Also, Scorpion is pushed as the main character now that Liu Kang is evil. But then again it seems Cassandra Cage is the new main heroine. Also I've always considered Goro iconic to MK as many people who don't know much on videogames know Goro and relate him to MK. So Goro is another choice.

But Ed Boon seems to dislike Nintendo and was rather sort of open to have Scorpion on PSASBR.
It was never really stated he hated Nintendo, most likely the reason MK X never came to Nintendo was how s***** Injustice sold on the Wii U

Morbi

Scavenger
But seriously though, if any Mortal Kombat character were to make it in the game, it would be Ed "Lord of Eyebrows" Boon's favorite.

Like,

at all.
This is obviously pretty late, but I was reading through this thread and Lui Kang is not the main character "in any sort of story... the game had." He is obviously the main character in the movie, and I suppose the movie gave people a distorted perception of the game (such as Johnny Cage defeating Goro and whatnot); however, in the games, he is just the Champion of Earthrealm. The game does not really have a main character and Mortal Kombat 9, which rebooted the entire series, did not focus on Lui Kang outside of his designated "Earthrealm Champion" role which was altered quite significantly towards the end of the Shao Kahn arc in favor of Raiden. Although certain titles do have main characters as they have a separate campaign such as Shujinko in Deception or Taven in Armageddon. Sub-Zero is honestly probably the closest just for the mere fact that he appears in every title.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
But seriously though, if any Mortal Kombat character were to make it in the game, it would be Ed "Lord of Eyebrows" Boon's favorite.

This is obviously pretty late, but I was reading through this thread and Lui Kang is not the main character "in any sort of story... the game had." He is obviously the main character in the movie, and I suppose the movie gave people a distorted perception of the game (such as Johnny Cage defeating Goro and whatnot); however, in the games, he is just the Champion of Earthrealm. The game does not really have a main character and Mortal Kombat 9, which rebooted the entire series, did not focus on Lui Kang outside of his designated "Earthrealm Champion" role which was altered quite significantly towards the end of the Shao Kahn arc in favor of Raiden. Although certain titles do have main characters as they have a separate campaign such as Shujinko in Deception or Taven in Armageddon. Sub-Zero is honestly probably the closest just for the mere fact that he appears in every title.
Shao-lin monks came to mind.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
It was never really stated he hated Nintendo, most likely the reason MK X never came to Nintendo was how s***** Injustice sold on the Wii U
In a way, he still feels it was because of MK being on Nintendo systems that the ESRB exists.

Morbi

Scavenger
Shao-lin monks came to mind.
Oh, we are using spin-offs. In that case, Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero comes to mind. :troll:

To be fair, I never played that game (or Special Forces for that matter). I thought it was a co-op or shared adventure between Kung Lao and Lui Kang. Regardless, Mortal Kombat has a lot of "main" characters. In my opinion, if you have half a dozen main characters, you do not really have half a dozen main characters, instead, you have half a dozen prominent characters.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
In fact, you're pretty much just sugar coating all of the reasons he should be in but not looking at what's against him. Please take this a bit more seriously.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
In fact, you're pretty much just sugar coating all of the reasons he should be in but not looking at what's against him. Please take this a bit more seriously.
He can disregard points if he wants. He has every right to support Sub Zero and find certain things relevant or irrelevant.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
He can disregard points if he wants. He has every right to support Sub Zero and find certain things relevant or irrelevant.
That is true, I completely see your point. He can support Sub Zero, and I completely and totally happy that he wants him and continues to support him, but is it okay for him to take it a but more seriously. I'm sorry of I'm overlooking this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom