• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stream choppy with Elgato game capture hd 60 in obs

joebigs

Smash Rookie
NNID
joebigs
Hey guys. So I'm trying to stream in 60 fps in OBS with the Elgato game capture hd 60. I can only currently stream in 30 fps for some reason. When I try to stream in 60 fps it looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/ibvBBb0.jpg Could someone help?

Kadano

Magical Express
Seems like your encoding has problems. Are you using x264, Intel Quick Sync or NVidia NVENC? Try to lower the quality settings there. Which CPU and graphics card are you using?

joebigs

Smash Rookie
NNID
joebigs
Seems like your encoding has problems. Are you using x264, Intel Quick Sync or NVidia NVENC? Try to lower the quality settings there. Which CPU and graphics card are you using?
I'm using x264, my CPU is an AMD Athlon X4 860K and my graphics card is a Radeon R9 270. Also, I believe I'm streaming at 2500kbps.

Last edited:

Kadano

Magical Express
I'm using x264, my CPU is an AMD Athlon X4 860K and my graphics card is a Radeon R9 270. Also, I believe I'm streaming at 2500kbps.
Are you using the "Veryfast" x264 preset? Use that or a faster one ("Superfast", for example) and you should get constant 60 fps.

If not, it could either be due to your USB port not being fast enough (try other ones, if possibly one from a PCIe extension card) or due to the Elgato being faulty.

Last edited:

joebigs

Smash Rookie
NNID
joebigs
Are you using the "Veryfast" x264 preset? Use that or a faster one ("Superfast", for example) and you should get constant 60 fps.

If not, it could either be due to your USB port not being fast enough (try other ones, if possibly one from a PCIe extension card) or due to the Elgato being faulty.
I've tried using Veryfast, Superfast, and Ultrafast and it's still very choppy. I've tried using different USB ports but it's all the same. Do you think you could take a look at my OBS settings and see if they're optimal? I also have the Elgato set as a video capture device in OBS. Not sure if that's gonna make a difference but that's what worked for me.

Video settings: http://i.imgur.com/4pMpyGL.jpg
Advanced settings: http://i.imgur.com/Y8VZwfO.jpg

Edit: I think I figured it out. I had my converter set to 1080p and when I switched to to 720p there's no choppiness or weird things going on. I guess I can't stream melee at 1080p 60fps

Last edited:

Kadano

Magical Express
Oh, right. 1080p60 is way overkill for Melee. You’ll exceed Twitch’s max long-time allowed bitrates with it anyway (or encode so badly that it looks worse than 720p60 anyway).

joebigs

Smash Rookie
NNID
joebigs
Oh, right. 1080p60 is way overkill for Melee. You’ll exceed Twitch’s max long-time allowed bitrates with it anyway (or encode so badly that it looks worse than 720p60 anyway).
What do you think looks better? 720p60 or 1080p30? I'm thinking 720p60 but I'm not really sure

joebigs

Smash Rookie
NNID
joebigs
720p60 of course. A lot better.
Hey there Kadano. Another problem has arisen with the stream. So sometimes the stream works fine for a bit, but then the same thing happens as in my original post. I'm making sure to be streaming in 720p60 and I have my x264 preset as ultrafast. Any suggestions?

Kadano

Magical Express
Hey there Kadano. Another problem has arisen with the stream. So sometimes the stream works fine for a bit, but then the same thing happens as in my original post. I'm making sure to be streaming in 720p60 and I have my x264 preset as ultrafast. Any suggestions?
Keep task manager or some other performance logging program on and see whether there are some correlations between CPU / RAM usage peaks and frame drops. If there aren’t, I’d say it’s likely that either your capture card is faulty or (more likely) your USB connections just aren’t fast enough.

If there seems to be CPU limitation, overclock your CPU a bit if you haven’t already. Or buy an NVidia GTX 950 or higher and use NVenc.

Top Bottom