• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Step by step guide (with pics!) on how to edit music titles using BrawlBox (UPDATED)

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Why is this not
I:\private\wii\APP\RSBE\pf\menu2\mu_menumain.pac ?
The game can't call a file from a directory that didn't already exist in its coding. Especially since the file came from the menu2 folder. I do not understand why this is the directory, since there is no alternate loading engine being used except for PW's patch code (which only loads things AFTER the pf folder).

EDIT: Unless I am sadly mistaken of course. It's just throwing me for a loop and I don't understand why it is so
You're sadly mistaken. It's not that simply because it isn't. Apparently it's a little bug in Phantom's code telling it which directory to use. Just use pfmenu2. It works perfectly.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
No problem at all stickman. Also if you're the same stickman from GSC, nice to see ya. :3

The Sex Puma

Smash Lord
Hmm... Sorry, I don't know how to solve your problem. You could always try the old fashioned way of using Dantarion's Any Length Song Title Tool. Here's a quick tutorial on how to use it:

1) Download Dantarion's Any Length Song Title Tool and unzip everything to a folder.
2) Change the defaultsongs.db filename to songs.db
3) Use Notepad++ Portable to open up songs.db and edit out your music titles. Then click File-->Save. Then exit out of Notepad++ by clicking File-->Exit. -- DO NOT USE REGULAR WINDOWS NOTEPAD TO EDIT SONGS.DB OR ELSE IT WILL MESS EVERYTHING UP--.
4) Double-click on ALSTT.exe
5) The program should create a info.pac file for you. Place it in the appropriate directory in your SD card, which is: I:\private\wii\APP\RSBE\pf\info2\info.pac
Haha, I tried that method once before and used Windows Notepad. I'll try it, thanks. :)

stickman

Smash Apprentice
No problem at all stickman. Also if you're the same stickman from GSC, nice to see ya. :3
Yeah I'm the same one. Nice seeing you too!

And great guide, VidPower. I plan on testing my new titles sometime soon.
And the bug in the code makes sense because I forgot that PW had to make a special line of code just for that one file, so now I can see why the other files work normally and that one doesn't.

Thanks for the clarification!

KingSlimeKnight

Smash Apprentice
...If you followed directions, the mu_menumain_en.pac should be 4,159 KB.
...So if I did this in BrawlBox v0.60c, and I gotted 4,160 KB instead, then does that mean that I screwed or do I have to get BrawlBox v0.59 in order to make it 4,159 KB?

Alphatron

Smash Champion
^No, it means you have to go through the other MiscData[#] files and replace info you don't need with ? marks.

*Has nearly 120 titles edited and has not had to do this yet*

KingSlimeKnight

Smash Apprentice
^No, it means you have to go through the other MiscData[#] files and replace info you don't need with ? marks.

*Has nearly 120 titles edited and has not had to do this yet*
Most of my titles are greater than, or about the same characters as the original title so it takes more data. Thanks!:)

VidPower

Smash Rookie
OP UPDATE: I've found an easier way to find the particular song you need to get at when editing your info.pac file. Just left-click on any music title on the list of music titles on the RIGHT-HAND side of the screen (not the text box on the lower-right hand side of the screen). Then simply just press the letter on your keyboard that corresponds to the first letter of the song. If it's not the particular song you wanted, simply press the button again on your keyboard until the correct song is highlighted. Example: I want to change out the song "Boss Theme Medley", so I would just press the "B" button on my keyboard. The highlighted music title jumped to "Butter Building". I don't want this song. So, I just keep pressing the "B" button on my keyboard until "Boss Theme Medley" is highlighted. Now I can just edit out the song normally.

...So if I did this in BrawlBox v0.60c, and I gotted 4,160 KB instead, then does that mean that I screwed or do I have to get BrawlBox v0.59 in order to make it 4,159 KB?
Yeah, Alphatron is right. In my guide, I have a section labeled "decreasing the filesize of your info.pac", give that a quick read. The only difference is that in your situation, you want to open up mu_menumain.pac in BrawlBox, left-click on MiscData[9], then replace each of the messages you see with a "?". You'll probably need to replace a whole bunch of messages with "?" in order to get your filesize to 4,159 KB. Then click on File-->Save. Then File-->Exit. Your mu_menumain.pac file should be at 4,159 KB now.

VidPower

Smash Rookie
The ALSTT won't stay open nor will it make an info.pac.. :( :( What does this mean?
Try redownloading all your ALSTT files and starting again fresh. Perhaps you previously edited the songs.db file wrong, and this caused the ALSTT to malfunction. When I first started using the ALSTT, I would use regular windows notepad to edit my songs.db and then when I double-clicked on ALSTT.exe, the program would show up for a split second and then automatically close itself. Apparantly, if you save it even once in normal Windows Notepad, it screws up the proper formatting of the file. It was then that I learned that I had to use Notepad++ to edit my songs.db file So I redownloaded all the ALSTT files, used Notepad++ to edit my songs.db file, and everything worked out great since.

Great guide, but my info.pac still freezes my wii after the loading sign. It's 391kb, I checked.
Make sure you're using File Replacement Code 3.5.1. Anything older will cause your wii to freeze. If that doesn't solve the problem, you could always go the old fashioned route of using Dantarion's Any Length Song Title Tool. I posted a tutorial on how to use it a few posts back (it's on page 3 of this thread).

Miquel0123

Smash Cadet
Hello, I have a big problem.
The game not freezes when I start to play in a map, the game only freezes itself when I press PAUSE during a battle.

info.pac -> 389KB located in .../pf/info2/info.pac
mu_menumain.pac -> 4,159MB located in .../RSBE/pfmenu2/mu_menumain.pac

Help me please T^T

edit: It works now, the problem was a wrong cheat code

RockXero77

Smash Cadet
This is so awesome. WAAAY more guides should be like this. Plus, I edited my Wi-Fi messages to call me Sir :D THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

DQP

Smash Ace
i get the bsod (black screen of death) after the "NOW LOADING" message. the file sizes are correct, and i have frc 3.5.1. i tried dantarion's alstt with no luck. any suggestions?

EDIT: i have good news and bad news. good news: i got it to finally work. bad news: all of the songs are on the wrong stages. let me give you an example: i have through the fire and flames replacing giga bowser (melee), so i replace the song name. instead of ttfaf replacing giga bowser, however, it replaces battlefield (melee). help?

EDIT DEUX: i finally got it working. it was a problem with exporting/importing the MiscData140, so i entered the names manually, and it worked. problem solved.

ChakramStrike

Smash Rookie
My info_en.pac file says 390 KB, and 392 KB on disc

I think this is what's causing it to freeze after the loader, but it doesn't seem to change no matter how many messages I change to '?'

EDIT: Even stranger, it jumps up to "416 KB on disc" when i copy it to the SD card

camzy

Smash Journeyman
No offense, but I prefer Dantarion's ALSTT.

It's just as easy to use, stops all this fuss with filesize and you can edit it with notepad. There's always ctrl+F if you can't find the song title you want to replace too.

Wiler22

Smash Rookie
I have tried this method of changing music & I sucessfully did it while keeping my files the correct size however when I change certain songs ex: Break Through the Ice for Lylat Cruise, it doesn't change it in-game. Also I did them one by one & all at once it does the same thing & it will always jumble up the names of all the songs in the "My music" section in brawl?

Has this happened to anyone else? If so what am I doing wrong, I'm following the exact steps shown in the guide.

dxrkn3ss

Smash Journeyman
I'm having unknown difficulties with this too, but I'm not a noob to the brawl hacking stuff

My SD card is loaded with textures, movesets, moveset PAC's, custom CSS, The most recent stage loader thingy that allows u to filename stage Pacs for multiple stages.\ and more, and it's all been working fine.

I have followed this music title replacement and the older way with Dantarion's tool and to no avail...partially

My mu_menumain.pac work perfectly but the info.pac doesn't work at all. Even if its 391 MB's or lower, it causes the wii to hang at the black screen after the Loading... goes away. I've tested the info.pac individual and I already know its the problem. Could my other codes somehow be clashing with it. Anyone got any suggestions?

MetaRidley5

Smash Rookie
I have this exact same problem, after the loading screen it stays black forever, my Info.pac is 390
and its in the right folder, so what gives?

Boomy

Smash Apprentice
Hey, um, I'd just like to add, if it hasn't been already, that the 4,159kb file size thingy doesn't absolutely HAVE to be that size. I got it to work at 4,158kb. This was with editing music titles and wifi messages.

Boomy

Smash Apprentice
I'm having unknown difficulties with this too, but I'm not a noob to the brawl hacking stuff

My SD card is loaded with textures, movesets, moveset PAC's, custom CSS, The most recent stage loader thingy that allows u to filename stage Pacs for multiple stages.\ and more, and it's all been working fine.

I have followed this music title replacement and the older way with Dantarion's tool and to no avail...partially

My mu_menumain.pac work perfectly but the info.pac doesn't work at all. Even if its 391 MB's or lower, it causes the wii to hang at the black screen after the Loading... goes away. I've tested the info.pac individual and I already know its the problem. Could my other codes somehow be clashing with it. Anyone got any suggestions?
All I can say is if you're using File Replacement with File Patch, thats whats causing it.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
I downloaded someones menumain pac cause I wanted their menu background,so the size is over 4,159kb. I edited the song titles and they only show up in My music and not in actual matches. Any way to fix this?

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
I did. I followed the guide and it doesn't seem to show in game.

Edit: Ah I did not rename and remove the _en . :p

Wolfric

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GoodLuckTrying
My Brawl doesn't loads whenever I use the info.pac, it was the same a month ago when I tried the ALSTTv1.2 method, it just stays in "Loading..." and when it's done, stays on the black screen, any help with this?

(I can at least see the song names on "My Music" menu, but that's when my game loads, which happens when I take off the info.pac outta info2.)

EDIT: (info.pac's size is 391 Kb.)

[I've got the same problem as dxrkn3ss/MetaRidley5, could anyone just upload a working .Gct to see if that's the problem?]

LordOfSquad

Smash Rookie
My Brawl doesn't loads whenever I use the info.pac, it was the same a month ago when I tried the ALSTTv1.2 method, it just stays in "Loading..." and when it's done, stays on the black screen, any help with this?

(I can at least see the song names on "My Music" menu, but that's when my game loads, which happens when I take off the info.pac outta info2.)

EDIT: (info.pac's size is 391 Kb.)

[I've got the same problem as dxrkn3ss/MetaRidley5, could anyone just upload a working .Gct to see if that's the problem?]
Also having this issue, and seconding the notion of someone uploading an example of a working .gct. For the record, the codes I'm using are:

-File Patch Code v3.5.1: [Phantom Wings]
-CSS fixes for Giga and Company V2 [spunit262]
-Alloys don't crash and Others don't wreck My Music V2 [spunit262]
-Giga and Company Engine V2 [spunit262]
-Alloy victory poses
-CSS fix
-Custom CSS V3 [spunit262]
-Character/Costume Replacement
-Custom SSS v2.0 [Spunit262, Phantom Wings] - libertyernie's Stage Expansion Pack v2.0 No-Replace
-Stage Roster Expansion System: v1.1
-Enable Random Expansion Stages v1.1 [Phantom Wings]:
-Unrestricted pause camera [Link, original Y.S.]
-Hanenbow is Online Training

Any of those sound like they might be throwing a wrench in things?

kyleisreal

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kyleisreal
Hello, I have a big problem.
The game not freezes when I start to play in a map, the game only freezes itself when I press PAUSE during a battle.

info.pac -> 389KB located in .../pf/info2/info.pac
mu_menumain.pac -> 4,159MB located in .../RSBE/pfmenu2/mu_menumain.pac

Help me please T^T

edit: It works now, the problem was a wrong cheat code
My stuff is the same exact size as your stuff but i still freeze atter the loading screen =T....

toki

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3582-9503-2397
Hey i have all the music working but the title during battle arent the title ive edited in Brawlbox. The title in "My Music" works fine but during battles, the title are different, please help.
Thanks

Also, some of my songs are screwed, could that be just the file?

fabianmo

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the guide, it has proven to be quite usefull.
One question tough, all of my songs seem to be working, except one that just as soon as the stage that has the song is selected the game freezes, what could it be?
EDIT: Fixed, it seems to be the name of the song had some wrong characters or something lol

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
question, in the OP it says
mu_menumain_en.pac file is exactly 4,159 KB IT MUST BE EXACTLY THIS FILESIZE, OR ELSE YOUR WII WILL FREEZE.
but my file is 4156 KB

will it still work?

also, will it make my wii freeze if i use Japanese Characters?

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
question, in the OP it says

but my file is 4156 KB

will it still work?

also, will it make my wii freeze if i use Japanese Characters?
Well, having it be EXACTLY 4,159 ensures that it WON'T freeze. The only way to know is to try it out. If it doesn't work, get a fresh one and re-edit it. If you need more space, add random letters to messages you won't ever see...

Yung Mei

it worked, it was the japanese characters that was causing a freeze
;.;

kyleisreal

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kyleisreal
Every time i take a snapshot during game play my wii freezes.....and sumtimes just randomly........now i know its the Info.Pac's fault but i dont know why................

Yung Mei

Every time i take a snapshot during game play my wii freezes.....and sumtimes just randomly........now i know its the Info.Pac's fault but i dont know why................
probably wrong file size?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
The guide states that this guide is only for NTSC-U. So does that mean that it won't work for PAL or just that it had only been tested with the NTSC-U version at the time of the writing of this FAQ?

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Yes, Yuna, that is correct...the thread was also made before Riivolution, so...only applied to NTSC-U when it was made...

Top Bottom