• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stages in Project M: Are We Using the Right Ones?

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
The accepted Project M Stage List has been in place since Apex, but it looks like TOs are ready to start looking for change. Two major weekly tournaments, Xanadu and Smashing Grounds, are making alterations to their stage lists. This begs the question: is there room for stages to continue changing in the coming months?

Only 14 of these stages are acceptable according to the Apex ruleset. Is there room for more?
The Winds of Change

In recent weeks, two of the largest weeklies in the country have changed their stage lists from the Apex 2014 standard. The NZA, who is the TO of Smashing Grounds in Massachusetts, believes that further exploration of counterpicking possibilities will create a richer experience for players. "We create a stage list in order to test players in the greatest variety of ways while still making the game enjoyable and entertaining. The key is to maximize the forms of interaction between players, while still making it feel fair," he said.

Strong Bad, a well-known PMBR member, feels similarly. "'Bottom two rows legal' does not an optimal stage list make. A couple stages that really shouldn't be legal are, while stages that are more worthy candidates are doomed to 3rd-row bannage for no reason other than their physical position on the stage selection screen. In my opinion, Dracula's Castle, Distant Planet, and Metal Cavern are all better competitive stages than Pokemon Stadium 1 or Skyloft."

Xanadu's most current stage list removed the normally acceptable Pokemon Stadium 1 and Skyloft, replacing them with Distant Planet and Dracula's Castle. Smashing Grounds currently has PS1 and Skyword banned, while allowing Dracula's Castle.

What Else Should Be Considered?

If stage lists are to change, there are several questions to be considered. Should more counterpicks be added? Should there be a cap to the number of stages allowed in a single stage list? Should neutrals stay the same? What about the number of bans?

TKBreezy, the voice of Project M and TO/Commentator of Xanadu, had this to say: "If we can work out a good stage-to-ban ratio then we wouldn't have to worry about a cap. However I think two rows of stages, one being neutral and one being counter pick, is an excellent format. Let's just keep going with that." This would allow the current three-ban system to stay in place. "The Brawl in me says bring back Pictochat, but other than that I have no desire to really see any other banned stages return," he continued.

Would you be excited to see Pictochat in teams?

Strong Bad favors a more streamlined approach: "I personally go for 12-13 stages, with two bans. I think any more than two stage bans is unnecessary at this point in the game's lifespan. Most tournaments run 12-14ish stages; this means 28-33% of the legal stages get banned by players after the first game. You're also more likely to see situations of ban redundancy. For example, if you add Draculas Castle, Rumble Falls, Metal Cavern and increase the amount of bans, in many matchups these bans are simply used to ban similar stages. Players will ban Yoshi's Story/FoD/WarioWare/Metal Cavern if they're avoiding small stages, and Rumble Falls/Dreamland/Skyworld/Dracula's Castle if they're avoiding large stages."

The NZA, on the other hand, sees an opportunity for more sweeping stage changes. "Our goal with Smashing Grounds is to have new seasons bi-monthly that are accompanied by map pool changes, similar to professional Starcraft 2. This allows us to test the validity of several stages as 'fair' counterpicks and neutrals," he said.

"Every page one stage could potentially be adopted into Smashing Grounds’ future map pool. We are also not shy about rotating our starter list, and come this Thursday (that's tonight!) you can expect us to lose a starter and adopt a new one for Season 2."

Do We Need to Change at All?

Not every player is chomping at the bit for new counterpicks. GimR, head of the popular VGBootcamp stream, is just as happy to do without. "I'm one to only like Neutrals. I'm very quick to think a 'stupid' stage should be banned." He is not the only one to share that sentiment. "There is a rift between what the players want in my opinion, and it sort of comes from whatever game that person came from," explains TKBreezy. "Brawl players like diversity in stages and wanna see things like Castle Siege and Pictochat while many Melee players seem to be fine with just the neutral stages."

While changes in the tournament format may be exciting, it is important to keep our collective eye on what is important. The goal of diverse counterpicks is to keep gameplay from becoming stale. However, TKBreezy believes that focusing too much on stages may be missing the point. "[Crazy counterpicks] are not what makes this game exciting. It's the characters, the diversity in combos, the improvement you see in players as they continue to grow in the scene. A couple of jank stages isn't going to spice up the life of an already spiced up game."

No matter what version of Smash it may be, amazing moments between competitors are what make it great.

With even more stages on the way, there is sure to be even more debate on stages and whether they should be neutrals, counterpicks or banned. What stages would you like to see used in the next big tournament? Or do you think that counter picks are annoying enough as is? Make your opinion heard in the comments below!

*Writer's Note* A huge shout out to Strong Bad, The NZA, TKBreezy and GimR for taking time out of their busy lives to discuss this topic with me. I linked all of their Twitter accounts to their names - go follow them if you want to hear from some of the biggest voices in the Project M community!

The Derrit wants to take people to Norfair and Delfino Plaza. Come talk to him about what stages you want to play in Project M on Twitter at @TheDerrit!

Last edited:

kaizo13

Smash Champion
part of the problem with Draculas castle and Distant planet is bad lighting and stages blending in with the background
-which affects team colors

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Gonna agree with GimR. I usually play mostly neutral stages, but I would be open to something new, as long as it isn't too gamechanging. That way, it's not the stages changing the game too drastically, it's the characters and the players that matter.

Tlock

Smash Apprentice
Even though I prefer a more conservative stage list I am ok with all of the page one stages except for Halberd, Castle Siege, and PS 1 being either a neutral or counterpick. The former two being banned because of transformations, the latter should be banned because PS 2 is almost the same stage but without the two campy transformations. Pictochat shouldn't even be considered.

So 7 neutrals, 11 counterpicks and 3 bans.

lami

Smash Journeyman
I actually really miss Delfino. I'd like to see it return, even with some transformations removed. Halberd is totally viable as a CP as well, IMO. I'm personally in the camp of "the more the merrier though" so bring back that Pictochat while we're at it!

Last edited:

TreK

Is "that guy"
Metal cavern is okay-ish. But tbh I simply don't see the need for a change. PM already has twice-thrice as many legal stages as the other Smash games lol

Although Delfino, Pictochat and Halberd do have a vibe I miss.
My favorite stage of all time is the Brawl Wifi training room, btw. The sandbag in the middle stops projectiles, making it a slightly less campy Final Destination.

Last edited:

Bazkip

Smash Master
Even though I prefer a more conservative stage list I am ok with all of the page one stages except for Halberd, Castle Siege, and PS 1 being either a neutral or counterpick. The former two being banned because of transformations, the latter should be banned because PS 2 is almost the same stage but without the two campy transformations. Pictochat shouldn't even be considered.

So 7 neutrals, 11 counterpicks and 3 bans.
Halberd's transformations are pretty minor, the only thing keeping it from being legal are the stage hazards. The rest I agree with.

Though if they made the big tree of the fire transformation of PS1 part of the background like the windmill, and did...something about the rock stage, it'd be fine.

Last edited:

Bryonato

Green Hat
I'm glad this is becoming more accepted. If you just have "the bottom two rows" for your stagelist, you obviously haven't put any thought into it.

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
Real talk. I love Dracula's Castle but the platforms always screw me up. I'd say have it as a Doubles Counterpick stage. It's perfect for it. Also. Distant Planet is great for both Singles and Doubles I feel. Personally I love the stage. Pictochat is great, but it needs to get rid of hazards.

An idea! :idea: If the PMBR figured out a way to have a stage hazards switch. Here's a list of examples off the top of my head listed below:

-Dracula's Castle platforms would stay in triangle form maybe
-Pictochat would solely be the flat single piece maybe with the moving cart drawing every now and then
-Pokemon Stadium 1 would not have type changes
-Pokemon Stadium 2 stages would not have them either but could be turned on via hazards
-The shy guys on Yoshi's Island wouldn't appear
-The shy guys on Yoshi's story wouldn't appear
-All of the lasers wouldn't fire on Halberd
-The lava on Brinstar would not rise
-Frigate Orpheon would not flip
-Arwings would not appear on Corneria
-Turning hazards "off" would mean no mini-games on Warioware but could be switches "on" to re-insert the mini-games
-Port Town Aero Avenue would maintain the same platform you begin with but cycle the whole stage in the background
-Rainbow Cruise would only take place on the boat
-The blue tornado in Hyrule Castle 64 would not appear but could be turned on through hazards
-Icicle Mountain would gain ledges and have no slipping effect with hazards off and the mountain would NOT move
-Big Blue would take place solely on the Blue Falcon as it flies in the sky
-Wispy would not blow wind on Dreamland 64
-Flat Zone 2 would keep the standard triangle platforms
-Pirate Ship would not hit the island, be fired on by cannonballs, or have that flipper fling people, etc.
-Onett would not have cars drive by
-Delphino Plaza would stay on the triangle platform layout but cycle the stage in the background
-Jungle Japes would not have the fish come

My apologies for the long post.:sadeyes:

Do any of you see what I'm getting at? It would be difficult I'm sure due to space with memory. I'm sure this would mean all stages would have two forms, but this would allow for FAR more variety with competitive stages. The reason they're usually banned in the first place is due to the hazards. If the PMBR discovered a way to create an engine allowing Hazards to be on or off, this would solve many of the issues about more freedom when selecting competitive stages. This would also solve the issue of those who think Project M is far to competitive focused. It is competitive focused, but it can easily be veered in both directions nicely with a toggle switch for stage hazards.

Last edited:

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Is there a thread to discuss this? Because bottom two rows are not optimal stagelist.

I don't feel that any particular stage is unreasonable on the bottom 2 rows atm, but there's just to much overlap/redundancy that takes away from the game. Why does there need to be three big stages that are almost identical? (PS1/PS2/Dreamland) Why are there so many BF clones?

Last edited:

-LzR-

Smash Hero
ITALIAN N1NJA... Paragraphs... please... paragraphs...

Last edited:

Masterphailure

Smash Cadet
I'm all for trying out new stages in the PM metagame. It's nice to spice things up. I personally think PS1 shouldn't be included since we have PS2 now. Hardly anyone ever uses Lylat System or Skyloft anyway, why not replace the 2 stages with other promising candidates?

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I hate Lylat Cruise but it would also be weird to see it go haha.

Some of the stages on the second page could be replaced. No one uses those at all haha

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
Just do this how we do in SoCal and add Yoshi's Island (Melee) back and I think you got yourself a good pick in stages.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Great article.

I generally favor a larger stage selection, as it seems that limiting stages promotes certain styles of play over others, and leaves characters with bad matchups no real hope (the loss of anti-spacies counterpicks like Brinstar and Mute City in Melee is an example of this, I think).

At the same time, P:M is a game with over 40 characters. That's over 40 matchups to learn, all of which change depending on which stage is chosen. Having too large of a stage list may make playing the game impossibly daunting.

I think P:M's stage list is in a good place, numbers-wise. First Page Only gives us 21 legal stages as neutrals and counterpicks; individual tournaments/weeklies can experiment with removing and swapping stages to keep the stage list to 15-20 stages based on regional differences and player preferences, with 3 bans.

Just for laughs (and I'm by no means an expert on any of this), my preferred stage list would be:

Neutrals
Battlefield, Dreamland, FD, FoD, PS2, Yoshi's Island, Yoshi's Story

Counterpicks
Brinstar, Distant Planet, Green Hill Zone, Lylat Cruise, Metal Cavern, Rainbow Cruise, Skyloft, Skyworld, WarioWare

Notes
-I think Norfair is a perfectly fine stage, but Brinstar is a better version of it for counterpicking reasons. There are already a couple of stages on my list with moving platforms, so I don't see the need for a third.

Also, this may be an unpopular thing to say, but there need to be more anti-spacies counterpicks.

-I don't really have an argument for or against Halberd; I just don't like that stage. I argue against Castle Siege because of the (unlikely, admittedly, but still very real) possibility of the transformations leading to stage saves.

- Rainbow Cruise?! It's a nostalgia pick. I miss it from earlier Melee rulesets. But if we're going to allow Lylat, which is picked essentially to gimp recoveries, why not RC as well?

- As much as I love Dracula's Castle, I feel it's a bit too big (same with the DK stage). Even at the hole-in-the-wall weeklies I go to, I've seen matches played on that stage come dangerously close to timing out on several occasions.

Well that just killed 20 minutes at work, lol.

Last edited:

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
I honestly think the typical ruleset (First row neutrals, Second row - Skyloft + Distant Planet counterpicks and 3 bans) is fine. I could see replacing PS1 with Metal Cavern, but that's about it.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
That is legitimately the worst stage john I've ever seen.
i'm not the first to bring it up, even the pmbr acknowledged it at some point. it especially affects team colors, so it might be a bit more legitimate than you think.

have you not noticed all the visibility enhancements the pmbr has made? from brighter fox/falco lasers, fireballs, marked snake grenades, sword trails. aesthetics are important in a fast paced game like this to keep the battlefield legible.

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
i'm not the first to bring it up, even the pmbr acknowledged it at some point. it especially affects team colors, so it might be a bit more legitimate than you think.
Red team can have an issue on it, actually. So I do see the point.

Last edited:

Drodeka

Smash Journeyman
Idk, is it just me that thinks maybe we need less stages? It becomes nearly impossible to keep some characters off of advantageous stages when so many are available to them.

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
Just make Big Blue viable dammit.
Idk, is it just me that thinks maybe we need less stages? It becomes nearly impossible to keep some characters off of advantageous stages when so many are available to them.
Having less stages would just make things extremely repetitive and predy boring.

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Great article.

I generally favor a larger stage selection, as it seems that limiting stages promotes certain styles of play over others, and leaves characters with bad matchups no real hope (the loss of anti-spacies counterpicks like Brinstar and Mute City in Melee is an example of this, I think).

At the same time, P:M is a game with over 40 characters. That's over 40 matchups to learn, all of which change depending on which stage is chosen. Having too large of a stage list may make playing the game impossibly daunting.

I think P:M's stage list is in a good place, numbers-wise. First Page Only gives us 21 legal stages as neutrals and counterpicks; individual tournaments/weeklies can experiment with removing and swapping stages to keep the stage list to 15-20 stages based on regional differences and player preferences, with 3 bans.

Just for laughs (and I'm by no means an expert on any of this), my preferred stage list would be:

Neutrals
Battlefield, Dreamland, FD, FoD, PS2, Yoshi's Island, Yoshi's Story

Counterpicks
Brinstar, Distant Planet, Green Hill Zone, Lylat Cruise, Metal Cavern, Rainbow Cruise, Skyloft, Skyworld, WarioWare

Notes
-I think Norfair is a perfectly fine stage, but Brinstar is a better version of it for counterpicking reasons. There are already a couple of stages on my list with moving platforms, so I don't see the need for a third.

Also, this may be an unpopular thing to say, but there need to be more anti-spacies counterpicks.

-I don't really have an argument for or against Halberd; I just don't like that stage. I argue against Castle Siege because of the (unlikely, admittedly, but still very real) possibility of the transformations leading to stage saves.

- Rainbow Cruise?! It's a nostalgia pick. I miss it from earlier Melee rulesets. But if we're going to allow Lylat, which is picked essentially to gimp recoveries, why not RC as well?

- As much as I love Dracula's Castle, I feel it's a bit too big (same with the DK stage). Even at the hole-in-the-wall weeklies I go to, I've seen matches played on that stage come dangerously close to timing out on several occasions.

Well that just killed 20 minutes at work, lol.
Jam Stunna thought an article I wrote was great. omgomgomgomgomg

kaizo13

Smash Champion
Having less stages would just make things extremely repetitive and predy boring.
but it also makes striking a bit redundant, you strike a stage that's advantageous to your opponent and he just ends up picking another stage that plays just like it

Ehhh, Melee has been pretty not repetitive for 13 years and we currently have quite a bit more stages than Melee available.
and a far more viable cast

Last edited:

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
Ehhh, Melee has been pretty not repetitive for 13 years and we currently have quite a bit more stages than Melee available.
You got me there lol. I just think that just a few more stages should become "viable".
but it also makes striking a bit redundant, you strike a stage that's advantageous to your opponent and he just ends up picking another stage that plays just like it
Well I guess that's true. But then again, that's only if stages keep being made similar to one another.

Drodeka

Smash Journeyman
Let's say you're fighting a Falcon and you don't want him to have a large or flat stage. You'd need 4 bans on tier one to do that. If you ban FD, Dreamland, and Pokemon Stadium 2, he still gets Smashville.

EDIT: Yeah I am all for more stages, I just don't know if I'm for 8 more stages. I think taking out 4 (I don't know which ones) to make it an even 10 would be awesome, and then have Counterpicks done on a tournament-by-tournament basis, maybe accompanied by an "official" set for big names like MLG and EVO

Last edited:

D1

Banned via Administration
Counterpicking is already tough in Project M tournaments, I'm all for more stages being #BANNED

socandrewcer

Smash Lord
NNID
socandrewcer
3DS FC
1220-8504-8308
I wish they provided simple instructions on how to customize pm to highlight around certain stages what is legal and what is not. If there already is, let me know

TheGhostlyPidove

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2509-2709-5815
My stage rules:
Starters:
Distant Planet, Norfair, Dracula's Castle, Castle Siege, Metal Cavern, and all the others that are already neutral.

CPs:
Halberd, Brinstar, Jungle Japes, Hyrule Castle 64, Delphino Plaza, Corneria, Rainbow Cruise (maybe), and all of the current cps.

Top Bottom