• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stages by splat

Timde9

Smash Cadet
I doesn't lag anywhere near as much with 4 players as the default, but it still slightly lags. I'm testing it using high-pixel count characters, of course. Also, the black rising ash in the background of this one looks awkward, since you can clearly tell where the animation screen/layer ends at the top.
This one works perfectly with 4 players as far as I can tell.
The animation is also obvious in the original so that's no difference. The object he is using for the animation is a rectangle so its gonna look like that unless somebody changes the shape of the plane. Not really a huge deal. I have a few more ideas to cut down on pixels for the pillars without removing them. It is generally good practice to remove backfacing polygons which cannot be seen during gameplay in order to save resources. Don't know why the original author skipped out on this. Since brawlbox is being a pain I have to be very careful how I import and export the files and hopefully it won't crash on me.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
The animation is also obvious in the original so that's no difference.
There's a huge difference. For some reason, your version has A LOT more of the rising background stuff, and is also darker and doesn't have a gradient of transparency at the top like the others do. The cave walls on yours is also lighter, making the edge line for the smog/ash even more noticeable.
[collapse=Original]
[/collapse]

[collapse=Nausicaa's]
[/collapse]

[collapse=Timde9's]
[/collapse]

Timde9

Smash Cadet
ahh okay I see what your saying I'll see if I can fix it later. Right now my main focus is a stage I am finishing up and then I'll see what I can do about making this stage more functional.

Aaronator

Smash Rookie
Thank god people who know 3dsmax are working on this stage. I was about to go buy the software and learn how to do it myself I was getting so impatient lol. I think this is the only custom stage I've seen for brawl that's really blown me away in terms of quality AND originality.

Also If I could second the motion of making a 2-platform version of the map with the top platform removed. I really think that's a great idea given how many 3-platform maps we have right now... >.>

splat

Smash Lord
Hi guys,

I'm sorry I haven't posted here in a while. As a matter of fact, I avoided doing so like the plague because I felt pretty bad that I couldn't fix the issues with it. It's still my first bigger project in BrawlBox (excluding some palette swaps for characters) - not to mention the first time I attempted using Sketchup and 3dsMax. It was a huge undertaking, and as it appears now, it was too big for me to handle the first time making a stage. I had been following many tutorials on editing in BrawlBox, but there's only so many of them - you still need to figure out a whole bunch by yourself.

The stage is nowhere near done. Initially, I wanted to add Podoboos popping up and down (which I've posted somewhere, I think), a Bowser stature on the back platform, Bowser's old axe lying somewhere on a platform in the background, fire pillars and the occasional Swooper flying in. Everything I tried made the stage look worse, so I stopped working on it and hoped someone else could fix the issues with it. Cowardly, I know, but I put in many hours to no effect - it drove me to madness. I love seeing that there's people still working on it.

With so many awesome people working on the things I couldn't, I'm hoping I could help getting this stage to the point where it should be - or that there's someone who's willing to show me the ropes on how to do it myself: how to get stuff from BrawlBox in a 3d editing tool, how to work with lightning, normals, vertices and all that stuff. I've been working on a new stage hoping I'd learn a thing or two - but I've come to the conclusion that I could really use the help of someone. If anyone's curious, here's what I've been working on:
It's supposed to be Rice Beach, a proper Wario Land stage, referencing how Project M's Wario is more in tune with Wario Land than with WarioWare. The first image is how the main stage (so no platforms yet) looks in SketchUp (the red part I edited in later - it's where you'd battle), the second is how it currently looks like in BrawlBox (with half-assed textures). The back part (where I envision a couple of Barrels, like in the original Rice Beach) is still a bit wonky, I'm struggling a bit to make the elevated part seen natural.

So, what I'm really trying to say, is there anything I can do (with my limited skills in 3dsMax) to help you guys fix Bowser's Castle? And is there anyone willing to co-op with me on any future stages?

Timde9

Smash Cadet
Hey man I am in a similar position as you but I have learned some things about lighting and shaders in brawlbox that might be able to help if you don't already know. I was having a lot of issues with dark and unlit models that was driving me mad for a while so I messed around and finally figured out which settings control it. BrawlBox can be very finicky as it is still heavily a WIP and sometimes different versions work differently so I have several versions in my work folder. Also it is easy to export models to work with in 3d programs although I haven't figured out how to do the same with animations if that's what you want. I wanted to make a super awesome animation for rayquaza but it looks like the exporting and import animations in any format besides chr0 still isn't possible from what I understand. To get a model into 3dsmax for example, though, just right click it, click export and export as dae. Also if you wouldn't mind sending me some of the original max and sketchup files you used to make the platforms I could lower the poly count and decrease the lag at the least. Or you could do it yourself by just erasing all the backfacing poly's (the ones you can't see in game anyway). I am not sure what you did but for some reason when I try to export the platforms and reimport they crash brawlbox. Not sure what exactly it is that is causing this (as I am still kinda new to all this). But there is a good tutorial on how to correctly import models by Mewtwo2000 that might also be able to help you.
http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=39586.0

As far as working with normals that is something I still have not mastered but you can mess around in 3dsmax and maybe figure it out yourself with the "edit normals" modifier. I do know that normal maps unfortunately do not work.

*edit* after checking the brawlbox thread I guess it is possible to import animations from 3dsmax to brawlbox but not the otherway around.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
It's in this thread too, I just posted in the other thread in a collection with other stuff.

As far as 'done' goes, he's talking about updates (The Statue etc) which someone else is gonna have to take up working on, or he'll continue once his 'skills' have been acquired doing 'other' things. Splat got this. ;)

D

Deleted member

I love the stage, however it is very laggy for me. I think you should reduce some effects, lower some textures, and remove the large unneeded area on the right part of the stage.

EDIT: Nevermind

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
I think you should read some of the recent discussions. If you did, then you'll know that most of the posts are already talking about ways to reduce the lag, as well as links to non-laggy temporary fixes to the stage.

splat

Smash Lord
I edited the first post to link to Nausicaa's version; I hope that'll stop any confusion about a lag-less stage.

Sluigi123

R64/Brawl- Dev; AI Coder; Balancer
NNID
Sluigi123
I thought to myself about this stage for a while of what I can do for this stage to be more competitive, and to have this stage stay running smoothly.

The first thing that comes to mind was the background. Any player that goes into Star KO state somewhere in the middle of that state, the flying character just goes into the wall in the background. :confused: What I did fixed that problem, by doubling the size of the background. Game-play still runs smoothly. :p

Second was the layout. IMO, the stage seems closer to Lylat Cruise's layout when it's flat, or just a scrunched up version of Battlefield. It's now an inverted version of Battlefield, because you don't see that many of these kinds of layouts for a while, besides Rumble Falls for P:M (Tourney Rules of 2v2 only).

I think that this stage is now competitive, and may have a chance of being a tourney stage for 1v1 and/or 2v2 battles. :grin:

If I do get a thumbs up whether Splat likes my version of this stage, my question will be "Will I be able to put a download link of this stage with your first post then?" If so, then :love:

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Were the side two platforms moved/resized in any way in this version from the current version? It was at the perfect place for Bowser to do ledge-jump platform canceled aerials, so it's a shame if that changes (given how it's supposed to be "Bowser's Castle", which I see as a replacement for how Yoshi's Story is good for Bowser in Melee LOL).

But it looks great. Background looks so much better bigger, since it was way too small before. And I've always like this platform layout and have always wanted one with flat platforms of this layout.

Off-topic PS: Speaking of which, I think Rumble Falls should be changed so that all 3 platforms are curved, since the current asymmetric layout annoys me (and that was only due to the original creator, as well as everyone helping him at that time, not knowing how to duplicate stuff to have another curved platform). If someone agrees and can do it, they should totally make and release that version and maybe the P:MBR will consider official adding it. =D

Sluigi123

NNID
Sluigi123
Actually, all three platforms got resized. I could make two versions, the original and my version, both versions will have a bigger background.

For Rumble Falls, I could try and make the layout so that all three platforms are curved, or have one flat middle platform and two curved platforms at the top.

EDIT 2:45 PM East: Rumble Falls is giving me a hard time. I tried my second option, cause it seems easier. Every time I resize something, they just go back to their original size. I resized the big curved platform so it's the same size as the other curved platform, including its animation. Has anyone have this problem before?

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
Actually, all three platforms got resized. I could make two versions, the original and my version, both versions will have a bigger background.
Please do. I like the bigger bg, but I rather prefer the old layout. I've actually seen way more inverted triangle layouts than flat.
Also, you used the lagless version as a base, right?

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Boomshakalaka! The files are here! It has my version and the original version of the stage. Both stages have a bigger background.

Bowser Castle (Big Background)

Enjoy! :coolmonke:

EDIT: Yes _R@bid_, they're from the lagless version.

EDIT2: Speaking of bigger background, I configured Norfair from Project M.

[Norfair:M Picture]

Noticed anything different?
You're awesome!

And I don't know how I feel about having ledges on the side moving platforms of Norfair:M. It could be a problem with multiple ledge camping when the platform is moved inwards. And I think it's a unique trait of the stage to have the far sides be ledge-less, making you either have to recover to the main platform or risk getting punished from landing lag. But I think that's already more than one can ask for when having two options to recover.

Sluigi123

NNID
Sluigi123
@Raccoon: Knock yourself out with your music thread.

@Perfect Chaos: I did that for other people who think that they want ledges on the two platforms for better recovery.
EDIT: With the ledge grabs being available, the boundaries have been changed, both left and right death boundaries are pushed back slightly. As for the top boundary, the camera limit has been lowered slightly, and its death boundary has pushed upward slightly.

Aaronator

Smash Rookie

Wow thank you for doing this LOL. I could not stand playing on this stage with the original platform layout (it made recovering from left and right nearly impossible for most characters). I'll have to give it a second try with these new grabable ledges.

Can you post screenshot differences between the larger background and original? I can't really tell what you're describing it just looks more cramped to me.

EDIT: I hit someone out of the top of the stage and they still go into the wall mid-animation.

Sluigi123

NNID
Sluigi123
Are you talking about Norfair or Bowser's Castle?

Oh... silly me :facepalm:. In the original version, I forgot to do a thing or two. Thanks for letting me know, and I'll update the download in about a half an hour. :ohwell:

EDIT: Anyone who downloaded the file before June 7th at 5:49 pm East, please re-download it, forgot to put in the coordinates and size of the background in the original version.

EDIT2: Here's the difference between the original background and the bigger background, if that's what you're talking about Aaronator.

[COLLAPSE="Original"]
[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="Bigger Background"]
[/COLLAPSE]

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Boomshakalaka! The files are here! It has my version and the original version of the stage. Both stages have a bigger background.

Bowser Castle (Big Background) [Update June 7, 2013]

I made some icons for these 2 versions of the stage for those who want them.

Original Version Icons:

sluigi Version Icons:

The SSP's are actually the same, taken from sluigi's version. I figured they're small enough that you won't really notice a difference between them.

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
This stage has come such a long way.

Really makes me want to do something the same for Metroid, minus the lava since we already have Zebes, Brinstar, and Norfair.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord

Bowser Castle (Big Background) [Update June 7, 2013]

Btw I'd definitely say that your version is much more PM-ified. And I like it way more than the regular version. Thanks to you and splat for this awesomeness! That one should definitely be an official P:M replacement for the Mario Kart stage heheh.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
All of the excess background will probably need to be removed before the P:MBR would even consider it, since it makes the stage look unprofessional, and they strive for professionalism in their stuff.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
That and it would probably help its chances of getting added to have the bowser statue and other decorations. Stages PM has added(Skyloft, Drac's Castle) tend to be REALLY detailed and finished visually. While this stage may reach that point, it hasn't yet. It's an awesome stage, but not yet meeting PM standards.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Well of course it still needs some polishing up and such. Would definitely like to see that statue and lava stuff added into the background. And some changes that are more indicative of a 'Castle' and not a 'Cave.' But the stage right now is definitely good for me.

210stuna

Smash Lord
That and it would probably help its chances of getting added to have the bowser statue and other decorations. Stages PM has added(Skyloft, Drac's Castle) tend to be REALLY detailed and finished visually. While this stage may reach that point, it hasn't yet. It's an awesome stage, but not yet meeting PM standards.
Do you know the people who could get Splat the hook up to help him get that polished touch?

I feel like all the Stage Gods are sleeping on his work of art.

EDIT: I made my question more clear

Top Bottom