• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stages by splat

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Every character's model has a different polygon count. Characters like peach and zelda have a lot of polygons and are best used to test if a stage lags in 1 v 1 or teams.
I was playing Sonic vs Sheik (who changed into Zelda at some point) during my test of this, makes sense. Wish I had time to test more characters on it.

splat

Smash Lord
Dropping in to give you guys an update: I found a way to change the mapping on the fron pillar so that it loses a whole lot of material nodes.

The model I'm working on now uses 47 nodes and about 11 textures. That might sound like a lot, but the previous version used 218 nodes and 15 textures, a whopping decrease of 171 nodes. I'm hoping that's what was creating the lag - as it has proven to be a hellish work the get the texture mapping properly working.

Every character's model has a different polygon count. Characters like peach and zelda have a lot of polygons and are best used to test if a stage lags in 1 v 1 or teams.
Really? I always figured it were the transforming characters and the ICs that were the memory heavy characters. Good to know this :)

I finished a fully functional Bowser themed stage yesterday that uses your background. The stage itself is NES themed, so I would still like to see your version be completed as it will (already does) look better.
I'm quite curious man, care to show what you've created? :)

OSCA MIKE

Smash Journeyman
That's a p good optimization there

I mean I don't know anything about stage related stuff, but less is ALWAYS more in this case, and I'm looking forward to future updates to this stage.

Oh yeah almost forgot, those platforms that are on the stage? Turns out you can't actually SEE player models through them, even though it being grated would suggest otherwise. You can still see the stage and everything, but no character models. Looks very awkward when one person is halfway through the platform. Just thought I'd let you know

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I DL'd and tried out this stage the moment I saw it. It's awesome, and I'm confident it will make it into the next release of P:M.

In the meantime, I strongly recommend everyone grab this stage themselves :p

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
This is late... But.
I fully disagree with both of your statements. The background adds depth and without it, the stage would look abit empty.
What the heck are you talking about?!
Zoom out a tad and go to the right. What we see while battling is only about 5% of the stage. We can't even SEE that other 95% because of draw distances. It's all fogged out. If we trimmed most of it off I'm sure it will lag at least a little bit less.

I agree with you on the lava. I was supporting it in the first place. Again. Don't know what in the world you were thinking I meant.

:phone:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Hey guys, I DL'd the Bowser's Castle in the OP (before changes I guess) and played on it a couple times and I must say that I like it a lot! A couple of my thoughts on it:
  • The lava placement is actually perfect for me since the lower blastzone is so close (like in Yoshi's Story).
  • Why is the background so.....wide? If this stage really has a lagging problem, then I'm sure most of that could be cut out and it would help tremendously, right?

Kati

Smash Lord
The background is taken from the Subspace Emissary, and iirc, only a few minor battles take place there. The area was designed from getting from point a to point b. Cutting portions has been in the discussion for some time now.

Kati

Smash Lord
They don't need to be renamed. They have to go into the common5.pac file, which is located in the system folder. Open that up, and then click on the plus sign on the bottom tab labelled "sc_selmap_en." Then do the same for "miscdata80," and finally the "textures" folder. All of the icons, preview pictures, stage names, and series' logos are present here. Find the stage's picture you are putting these over, and then right click on its name, and then finally click "replace."

Common5 -> selmap -> misc80 -> textures.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Does anyone know how I can change the SSS stage icon and all that? I see the relevant pictures in the OP but I have no idea what to name them or in which folders to place them... :confused:
Read a few pages back. Someone did all the work for you.

OSCA MIKE

Smash Journeyman
Yes

There's no fast way of doing it unless someone provides a mu_menu.pac/common5.pac that has the Bowser's Castle info already put inside of it, but that would also overwrite ANYTHING else in pac files that belong to you to whatever the other guy has in those pac files.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Ok, thanks a lot! Also, I noticed in your original posts:
You should port over the stage icons/stage name/franchise logos/etc. that you had in the last thread and have instructions for the installation of those too.

Actually **** it I'll port them over right now;

Stage Name;

*Goes over menu2>mu_menu.pac>MiscData[0]>MenSelmapFrontStname.06
and
system>common5.pac>sc_selmap_en>MiscData[80]>MenSelmapFrontStname.06

Stage Icon;

*Goes over menu2>mu_menu.pac>MiscData[0]>MenSelmapIcon.06
and
system>common5.pac>sc_selcharacter2_en>MenuRule_en>ModelData[0]>MenSelmapIcon.06
and
system>common5.pac>sc_selmap_en>MiscData[80]>MenSelmapIcon.06

Stage Preview;

*Goes over menu2>mu_menu.pac>MiscData[0]>MenSelmapPrevbase.06
and
system>common5.pac>sc_selmap_en>MiscData[80]>MenSelmapPrevbase.06

Franchise Logos;

*Goes over menu2>mu_menu.pac>MiscData[0]>MenSelmapMark.06
and
system>common5.pac>sc_selmap_en>MiscData[80]>MenSelmapMark.06

Random Stage Switch Icon;

*Goes over system>common5.pac>sc_selcharacter2_en>MenuRule_en>ModelData[0]>MenStageSwitch.06

holy **** that took a while
oh **** one of the franchise logos link is broke
LET ME FIX THAT FOR YOU

And yeah I do notice lag on this stage, but its minor on 1v1s, but oh my god do NOT play doubles with this. Lag out the bummmmmmmmmmmmmmm

You seem to have multiple pics for one thing. Am I picking and choosing or did I miss something? Thanks again for all of your help.

Edit: Perhaps we should take this to PMs?

roymaster803

Smash Apprentice
One thing I highly suggest is putting a note in the download that tells people what to rename the stage. The first time I downloaded it I had absolutely NO idea what to rename it. It was STGBOWSER in Brawl Box so even if someone checks BB they still have no idea. Other than that It's good. I can't stress how important this is.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Just wanted to point out that OSCA MIKE put up really good instructions, but he forgot one thing. Even with all of those changes, there is one icon that is left unchanged in the Main Menu's Random SSS. It's not really important, but I just thought I'd let people know.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
You should port over the stage icons/stage name/franchise logos/etc. that you had in the last thread and have instructions for the installation of those too.

Actually **** it I'll port them over right now;

Stage Name;

*Goes over menu2>mu_menumain.pac>MiscData[0]>MenSelmapFrontStname.06
and
system>common5.pac>sc_selmap_en>MiscData[80]>MenSelmapFrontStname.06

Stage Icon;

*Goes over menu2>mu_menumain.pac>MiscData[0]>MenSelmapIcon.06
and
system>common5.pac>sc_selcharacter2_en>MenuRule_en>ModelData[0]>MenSelmapIcon.06
and
system>common5.pac>sc_selmap_en>MiscData[80]>MenSelmapIcon.06

Stage Preview;

*Goes over menu2>mu_menumain.pac>MiscData[0]>MenSelmapPrevbase.06
and
system>common5.pac>sc_selmap_en>MiscData[80]>MenSelmapPrevbase.06

Franchise Logos;

*Goes over menu2>mu_menumain.pac>MiscData[0]>MenSelmapMark.06
and
system>common5.pac>sc_selmap_en>MiscData[80]>MenSelmapMark.06

Random Stage Switch Icon;

*Goes over system>common5.pac>sc_selcharacter2_en>MenuRule_en>ModelData[0]>MenStageSwitch.06
How do you access the mu_menumain.pac so you can replace the icons and everything? Sorry, beginner at this stuff.

EDIT: Wait, I think I figured it out.

Someone please make this a .brstm
By the way, have any of you guys heard the Devestation Doorway OCRemix? It's awesome.

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
I played with Zelda and Peach on the stage. The lag problem is horrible. xD Still love the stage, though.

:phone:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
By the way, have any of you guys heard the Devestation Doorway OCRemix? It's awesome.
I have it in my BRSTM packet:
The songs can be downloaded separately or altogether at the following link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?owyp5q1an08k0
If this link doesn't work, please let me know ASAP.

All songs are with standard P:M backgrounds in mind. If you want to know which specific brstm is a certain song, PM me. I have an ordered list:

[collapse="Organization of Songs and Stages"]Menu
Title Screen (Sonic Battle)
Expectation (Dragonball Z Budokai)
Big Opportunity (Dragonball Z Budokai 2)

Yoshi’s Island
September (Earth, Wind, & Fire)
Air Rally (Rhythm Heaven Fever)
Late in the Evening (Paul Simon)
In the Stone (Earth, Wind, & Fire)

Rainbow Cruise
Tails’ Twirly Tune Retro Remix (Sonic Battle Remix of Tails’ Lab)
Call Me Al (Paul Simon)

Halberd
Running to Victory (Dragonball Z Budokai)
Phi Battle (Sonic Battle)
Final Battle (Sonic Battle)
Back to Mad (Texas ******)
OCR Scrambled Eggman (Sonic 3 & Knuckles Remix of Boss Theme by Project Chaos)
OCR Malicious Fingers (Sonic 3 & Knuckles Remix of Final Boss Theme by Project Chaos)
Afterburner (Noisestorm)
Cosmic Angel Zone (Sonic Advance)
Egg Rocket Zone (Sonic Advance)
X Zone (Sonic Advance)
Egg Rocket Remix (Sonic Advance Remix of Egg Rocket Zone)
Pinball Wizard (The Who)

Metal Cavern
Metal Mario (Super Smash Bros 64)
OCR The Glacier’s Peak (Sonic Advance Remix of Ice Mountain Zone: Act 1)
OCR Heads Up for Tails (Sonic 3 & Knuckles Remix of Final Boss Theme by Project Chaos)
OCR Devastation’s Doorway (Super Mario 64 Remix of Koopa’s Road and Bowser’s Theme)
OCR The Alternate Route (Super Mario 64 Remix of Koopa’s Road)

WarioWare
Nonaggression (Sonic Advance 3)
Cell Games Arena BW Soundfont (Dragonball Z Budokai Remix of Cell Games Arena)
Egg Rocket Cosmic Angel Zone Remix (Sonic Advance Remix of Egg Rocket and Cosmic Angel zones)
Cosmic Angel Zone Arranged Remix (Sonic Advance Remix of Cosmic Angel Zone)
Catgroove (Parov Stelar)

Brinstar
Metal Depot (Sonic Battle)
OCR Cranial Syphon [Kay-raid] (Metroid Remix of Kraid’s Chamber)

Pictochat
Battle Highway Remix (Sonic Battle Remix of Battle Highway)

Fountain of Dreams
Fountain of Dreams (Super Smash Bros Melee)
Cosmic Angel Remix (Sonic Advance Remix of Cosmic Angel Zone)
Egg Rocket Zone Remix Extended (Sonic Advance Remix of Egg Rocket Zone)
Egg Rocket Zone Remix* (Sonic Advance Remix of Egg Rocket Zone)
Egg Rocket Zone Trance Mix (Sonic Advance Remix of Egg Rocket Zone)

Smashville (Normal)
OCR The Ken Song (Street Fighter II Remix of Ken’s Theme)
Library (Sonic Battle)
Kamikaze (Five Iron Frenzy)***
Basket Case (Green Day)
Amy’s Room FL Cover Remix (Sonic Battle Remix of Amy’s Room)

Smashville (K.K.)
Club Rouge (Sonic Battle)

Yoshi’s Story
Yoshi’s Story (Super Smash Bros Melee)
Let’s Groove (Earth, Wind, & Fire)

Green Hill Zone
Cosmic Angel Zone Remix (Sonic Advance Remix of Cosmic Angel Zone)
Chaos Battle (Sonic Battle)
Scatman (Scatman John)

Skyworld
Castle Crashers Feint DnB Remix (Castle Crashers Remix)

Dracula's Castle
OCR In the Darkness of Time (Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow Remix of Clock Tower)

Kongo Jungle
Kongo Jungle (Super Smash Bros 64)
Chambermaid Swing (Parov Stelar)

Pokémon Stadium
OCR Red Cyclone (Street Fighter II Remix of Zangief’s Theme)
Emerald Beach – Sonic Generations Version (Sonic Battle)

Pokémon Stadium 2
Battle Highway (Sonic Battle)
Cosmic Angel Zone Remix MegaDrive Version (Sonic Advance Remix of Cosmic Angel Zone)

Final Destination
Shockwave (Noisestorm)
Showdown (Pendulum)
OCR The Doomsday (Sonic 3 & Knuckles Remix of Doomsday Zone by Project Chaos)
NonAggression XG Remix (Sonic Advance 3 Remix of Nonaggression)
What I’m Made Of… (Sonic Heroes)

Battlefield
**Ballad of the Goddess - Legend of Zelda 25th Anniversary Symphony (Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword)
Challengers (Dragonball Z Budokai)
Cell Games Arena (Dragonball Z Budokai)
Like a Burning Wind (Dragonball Z Budokai)
Move Forward Fearlessly (Dragonball Z Budokai)

*All the Egg Rocket and Cosmic Angel remixes are different, so you may want to pick and choose which ones you include. I liked all of them so I simply included all of them. :p
**This is completely different from the version of Ballad of the Goddess on Skyloft. That version is the theme played during the trailer of the game and is not as ‘complete’ as this.
***There are actually two versions of this song on SV. Each one is of the exact same song, but looped differently.[/collapse]
If you want that specific song, let me know and I can tell who which exact brstm to download.

OSCA MIKE

Smash Journeyman
Thanks to Bubba for noticing this, but it turns out there was one more icon that was still unchanged; it was the icon for the Random Stage Select (RSS) screen that you accessed BEFORE YOU WENT TO THE CSS. In other words, the one accessible via the "More Rules" option. This elusive icon resides in;

menu2>mu_menumain.pac>MenuRule_en>ModelData[0]>MenStageSwitch.06

I also updated my instructions on page 2 regarding this and also changing the RSS text for the stage. I'll post the updated stuff here:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Random Stage Switch (RSS) Icon;

and
menu2>mu_menumain.pac>MenuRule_en>ModelData[0]>MenStageSwitch.06

Changing the RSS name;
Inside system>common5.pac>sc_selcharacter2_en>MenuRule_en>ModelData[0][/i]
and
menu2>mu_menumain.pac>MenuRule_en>ModelData[0]
you will notice a MSG group titled MiscData[1]. This is where the name changing takes place. Select the MSG group and change Mario Circuit to Bowser's Castle.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Thanks a lot for all your help, Osca Mike! :)

Edit: Oh man, I found just one more area where a picture needs to be replaced (man, there are a LOT :facepalm:). So, as OSCA MIKE pointed out, there is one more RSS icon that needs to be switched at menu2>mu_menumain.pac>MenuRule_en>ModelData[0]>MenStageSwitch.06, but alongside that, there is also a Stage Icon that needs to be replaced at menu2>mu_menumain.pac>MenuRule_en>ModelData[0]>MenSelmapIcon.06.

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
Well, since the stage hasn't been updated yet, I decided to delete unnecessary polygons (any polygon that, when removed, did not have any effect on the stage nor its immediate background surroundings) as well as 2 textures (one for water (what's this for? is there water in the ruins?) and the one for the flame jets (the obstacle)). Reduced the size by about 300-400KB. However, I haven't had a chance to test it to see if
a) it crashes
b) no necessary polygons were deleted without me realizing it
c) it has any effect on the lag in the first place
and I likely won't be able to for a few days, so if someone could test it for me, I would be very appreciative.
Download link
It's a temporary fix at best, just something to last until the stage is updated, but it's better than nothing.

OSCA MIKE

Smash Journeyman
there is also a Stage Icon that needs to be replaced at menu2>mu_menumain.pac>MenuRule_en>ModelData[0]>MenSelmapIcon.06.
oops i completely forgot about that

I was so focused on the RSS icon that I disregarded that completely

thanks again bubba; i updated my instructions

B.W.

Smash Champion
Well, since the stage hasn't been updated yet, I decided to delete unnecessary polygons (any polygon that, when removed, did not have any effect on the stage nor its immediate background surroundings) as well as 2 textures (one for water (what's this for? is there water in the ruins?) and the one for the flame jets (the obstacle)). Reduced the size by about 300-400KB. However, I haven't had a chance to test it to see if
a) it crashes
b) no necessary polygons were deleted without me realizing it
c) it has any effect on the lag in the first place
and I likely won't be able to for a few days, so if someone could test it for me, I would be very appreciative.
Download link
It's a temporary fix at best, just something to last until the stage is updated, but it's better than nothing.
I dunno if the fix worked yet but thanks in advance, leaf.

Wobbly Headed Bob

Smash Journeyman
The stage looks way more like a cave than a Castle, but anything is preferable over the Mario Kart stage.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
So, other than the temporary fix a couple posts above me, has there been any real progress for this stage that's been done by splat yet?

Top Bottom