• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Discussion

matt91486

Smash Rookie
Has there ever been a poll thread for voting for which retro stages people would like? i tried searching for one, but I couldn't find it.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
So, I just downloaded the stages, (literally, I haven't even played a full match on them yet), but here are my first impressions:

Hyrule Castle:
-Stage is zoomed in way too much in 1v1s. you can only see the 1/4 of the stage your characters are currently at.
-Music is okay, but mostly just renditions of the main theme, and mostly from the original games (LOZ NES). Not a bad thing, but it could use some variety.

-The stage has obviously been updated, it looks A LOT better.
-Unfortunately, the background has not. It's bland, and oddly kind of misty.
-Remix is pretty good.

Peach's Castle:
-Stage is a less zoomed in than Hyrule, making it better for 1v1s.
-Music is a lot better, imo. Lots of variety.
-Unlike Hyrule, stage has not been updated at all, and frankly, it looks kind of bad, especially with the HD characters. EDIT: It actually looks okay, just takes some getting used to.
-Also like Hyrule, background is not updated, but it looks a bit better than Hyrule's background.
-NO THROWBACK GALAXY WHYYYYYYY
-(There is a new remix for Bomb-Omb Battlefield, though. It's really good, but TG is much better.)

I'll have to play some FFAs before I can make a true analysis.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Somehow, I think it's nice that Peach Castle is not updated. It really gives a retro feel, remind Mario 64 and all. On the other hand, I also like the updated Hyrule Castle. It still looks like a Lego castle, but with better textures! :awesome:

About the music, the selection is nice on Peach Castle.

I also like Hyrule Castle's music, except for the A Link to the Past Overworld. The 64 theme is basically a better version of this theme, and it feels really unnecessary, and it's a missed opportunity to have the Hyrule Castle theme from ALttP.

The new Remix is awesome, having the NES Overworld is nice, and Hyrule / Termina fields suit the stage.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Here's my idea for Shantae's stage if she makes it in:

Scuttle Town Lighthouse (for both 3DS and Wii U)

Shantae's home and the starting point for each game. A medium-large sized stage with a day/night cycle on the Wii U version, the island with the lighthouse itself is in the middle of two other islands. The island on the right goes offstage connected by a longer bridge. There's a smaller island with a small bridge connecting them to the lighthouse, but on the far left of the stage is a short cliff that's connected offstage, between the two is a pool of water, Like Green Hill, some areas of the bridge are prone to damage, especially with Risky in the background firing off cannonballs onto the stage, after a while, the Oceanic Tinker Tub becomes a boss with Risky at the helm. It can attack with barrels, it's anchor, or it can jump back into the water for a bit and bombard the stage with cannonballs.

Stage Music:
Dance Through The Danger (Half Genie Hero)
Burning Town (Pirate's Curse Remix) (Default on 3DS)
Risky Boots (Pirate's Curse Remix)
Boss Battle (Pirate's Curse Remix) (Alternate on 3DS)
Cackle Tower (Pirate's Curse)
Day/Night Travel (Propeller Town/A Troublesome Trek from Pirate's Curse)
Scuttle Town (Pirate's Curse Remix)
She's Got Moves! (Risky's Revenge)
Trip Through Sequin Land (Pirate's Curse)
Run Run Rottytops! (Pirate's Curse)
Mermaid Slide (Half Genie Hero)
Rescue Girl from Mighty Switch Force 2

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I like the music selection for Peach's Castle. :)

Hyrule Castle... Is good, but the Link to the Past theme was a little redundant. The rest is fine.

zapfish

Smash Rookie
NNID
zapfish
I really love the omega versions of the returning stages, especially Peach's Castle. Music is nice for both, but nothing incredible imo (nothing like that added music to Dream Land, but I love Kirby, so I'm a little biased)

Still hoping for Fountain of Dreams to return, anything else afterward is fair game, that stage would complete this game for me.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I also love the Omega versions of the stages.

Omega Hyrule doesn't change that much, but I love the colors of that stage for some reasons.

Omega Peach's Castle change a little bit more, and the plateform definitely look nice.

Omega or not, I really don't regret my purchase (same for Dreamland). The nostalgia is strong.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I wish I'd found this thread sooner as I've been on a stage discussion kick ever since peach's and hyrule castle 64 were announced. It's neat to see Nintendo adding content like this.

On favorite stages:
When it comes to competitive stages that are universally accepted my favorite is probably Duck Hunt. I'm definitely more of a stage liberal though and I'd like to see as many stages used as possible. My one recommendation to TOs though is that instead of Final Destination we use Boxing Ring Omega as that lends more of an "esports" air to the proceedings.

The more I've seen the drama in competitive play (mainly the customs argument), however, the more I yearn for the old days of free-for-all with my buddies. To that end, Hyrule Castle 64 and Pyrosphere are my "guilty pleasures" for those kind of battles.

On DLC stages:
Dream Land 64 is of course fantastic (always preferred it over Green Greens) and I like most of the music. Usually I only end up choosing about one or two tracks per stage to play on high because for some reason any more than that makes my brain hurt. Probably Fountain of Dreams will be my number one for this stage, then either Ice Cream Island or Kirby 64.

I like that Peach's Castle 64 is being considered for a counterpick and I have an even harder time picking my music for that stage than DreamLand. All the tracks seem to fit so well and the only one I don't prefer is the remix because of its instrumentation (I prefer the original Bob-omb Battlefield that was on Delfino Plaza)

Hyrule Castle 64 is one of my favorites as mentioned earlier, but very disappointed with the music. 4 versions of the same song? :(

I'd really like to see Saffron City added as well. For additional music tracks I'd add:
Gym Leader Battle (Red/Blue)
Something from Pokemon Puzzle League to reference the anime (I know there's licensing issues with 4kids plus the game was never released in Japan but Nintendo can work it out right? right?)

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I wish I'd found this thread sooner as I've been on a stage discussion kick ever since peach's and hyrule castle 64 were announced. It's neat to see Nintendo adding content like this.

On favorite stages:
When it comes to competitive stages that are universally accepted my favorite is probably Duck Hunt. I'm definitely more of a stage liberal though and I'd like to see as many stages used as possible. My one recommendation to TOs though is that instead of Final Destination we use Boxing Ring Omega as that lends more of an "esports" air to the proceedings.

The more I've seen the drama in competitive play (mainly the customs argument), however, the more I yearn for the old days of free-for-all with my buddies. To that end, Hyrule Castle 64 and Pyrosphere are my "guilty pleasures" for those kind of battles.

On DLC stages:
Dream Land 64 is of course fantastic (always preferred it over Green Greens) and I like most of the music. Usually I only end up choosing about one or two tracks per stage to play on high because for some reason any more than that makes my brain hurt. Probably Fountain of Dreams will be my number one for this stage, then either Ice Cream Island or Kirby 64.

I like that Peach's Castle 64 is being considered for a counterpick and I have an even harder time picking my music for that stage than DreamLand. All the tracks seem to fit so well and the only one I don't prefer is the remix because of its instrumentation (I prefer the original Bob-omb Battlefield that was on Delfino Plaza)

Hyrule Castle 64 is one of my favorites as mentioned earlier, but very disappointed with the music. 4 versions of the same song? :(

I'd really like to see Saffron City added as well. For additional music tracks I'd add:
Gym Leader Battle (Red/Blue)
Something from Pokemon Puzzle League to reference the anime (I know there's licensing issues with 4kids plus the game was never released in Japan but Nintendo can work it out right? right?)
If they added Saffron City, I would actually like the Saffron City music to be one of the songs and hopefully a remix of Vs Champion (Red/Green/Blue).

Rosalinatehplumber

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mariotrains
Switch FC
2537-5587-9586
I think Fourside is coming up because there is no music file for it while the rest of the melee stages do. Plus, there aren't too many melee stages in the game.

Fuerzo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Erudites
It's weird how few Melee stages are in this game. All the ones in both 3DS and Wii U were the ones that previously made it into Brawl. Fountain of Dreams and Pokemon Stadium would be great if we wanted more competitive stages, otherwise I'd like to see Great Bay or Poke Floats.

_gold_

Smash Master
I would really like to see Corneria make a return for Wii U. It's been in every installment of the series, yet now it only appears on the 3ds version. Which doesn't make sense to me because Star Fox is more of a console game then handheld.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I want Brinstar Depths and Fourside from Melee. I love the music on both stages and they would look sick in HD. I think we should get Summit from Brawl to honor the Ice Climbers.

I feel they should also have had a fan ballot for stage ideas.

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
I want Brinstar Depths and Fourside from Melee. I love the music on both stages and they would look sick in HD. I think we should get Summit from Brawl to honor the Ice Climbers.

I feel they should also have had a fan ballot for stage ideas.
I second that. Brinstar Depths is possibly the most atmospheric stage in Smash, and I love it to death for that!

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I would really like to see Corneria make a return for Wii U. It's been in every installment of the series, yet now it only appears on the 3ds version. Which doesn't make sense to me because Star Fox is more of a console game then handheld.
Agreed. If they don't want to say "3DS owners got it free, Wii U owners have to buy it", they could just port in Sector Z from Smash64 with a few HD updates and call it a new stage. I believe they had a minor difference or two?

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Has anyone thought of putting in stage names to the SMASH ballot? I think it would be worth a try.
The Ballot is asking for 'Characters' specifically...however suggesting stages in the 'why?' section, perhaps to coincide with the Characters in a similar manner to Suzaku Castle with Ryu could help with that...

unfortunately any stages I want don't really correspond with my wanted characters, closest being Dark Samus and Phendrana Drifts, so it's a bit out of the blue for me specifically...

Last edited:

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
I still would love to see a new F-Zero stage. Having only SNES Mute City as a new stage is kind of underwhelming... Also, it makes no sense for a SNES based stage to be in 3DS smash. Why not something from GP Legend or Climax? Though, those are mode 7 games as well.

I'd love to have something like Thunder Road as a stage. I will buy that in a heart beat.

Last edited:

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
If I were to guess, it's because those games are based on the anime. (Then again, they don't mind using the Pokemon Anime's VAs.)
You might be on to something since you don't see a single trophy of someone like Ryu/Rick from those game...

Hope Climax gets added to the eShop. It's such a better game than GP imho.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Lately I have been dreaming (more like longing for) about having all the stages from Smash 64, Melee, Brawl, 3DS, and Wii U in one ultimate Smash game... that would be so amazing. So much variety... so many stages that are tourney-friendly... and everyone can have all their favorite stages in one game.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Lately I have been dreaming (more like longing for) about having all the stages from Smash 64, Melee, Brawl, 3DS, and Wii U in one ultimate Smash game... that would be so amazing. So much variety... so many stages that are tourney-friendly... and everyone can have all their favorite stages in one game.
and then therell be that one nit picker who complains about there being to many old stages

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Screw them. People will always be complaining for the sake of complaining.
"Ughhhh, my VIDEO game just has too much content!"

I feel like N64 peach castle should be legal. Is anyone with me?
We tried making it legal in my scene, but after a few matches played on it, it's really not worth it. Games take fooooreeeever. If it weren't for the floating cheese graters or what-have-you to tech constantly off of I'd say it's legit-ish, but that with the huge horizontal blast zones just make it for some ridiculously long matches. We ended up outlawing it after three tournaments.

In its defense, I will say this: It is a FUN stage.

Last edited:

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
UPDATE:
Stages that are likely to return based on the current music selection:
Stages must have at least one song from its series of representation that isn't in Smash 4 yet in order for me to put it on the list.
64: Planet Zebes (Planet Zebes), Saffron City (Saffron City), Sector Z (Sector Z), Mushroom Kingdom (64) (Mushroom Kingdom)
Melee: Great Bay (Saria's Song), Mushroom Kingdom (Melee) (Mushroom Kingdom), Jungle Japes (Jungle Japes), Fourside (Fourside)
Brawl: Distant Planet (Ai no Uta, Ai no Uta (French), Tane no Uta), Frigate Orpheon (Opening/Menu (Metroid Prime)), Mushroomy Kingdom 1-1 (Ground Theme 2, Gritzy Desert) & 1-2 (Underground Theme), New Pork City (You Call This a Utopia?!, Humoresque of a Little Dog), Rumble Falls (DK Jungle 1 Theme (Barrel Blast), The Map Page/Bonus Level), Shadow Moses Island (Least likely unless Snake returns) (All of its music), Wario Ware Inc. (Mona Pizza's Song, Mike's Song, and their respective JP versions), Yoshi's Island (Brawl) (Yoshi's Island), Green Hill Zone (Scrap Brain Zone, Emerald Hill Zone, Sonic Boom, Super Sonic Racing), Hanenbow (Ambience), Spear Pillar (Wild Pokemon Battle! (Diamond/Pearl)), Pirate Ship (The Great Sea, Molgera Battle)
3DS: Prism Tower (Lumoise City) That's it.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
UPDATE:
Stages that are likely to return based on the current music selection:
Stages must have at least one song from its series of representation that isn't in Smash 4 yet in order for me to put it on the list.
64: Planet Zebes (Planet Zebes), Saffron City (Saffron City), Sector Z (Sector Z), Mushroom Kingdom (64) (Mushroom Kingdom)
Melee: Great Bay (Saria's Song), Mushroom Kingdom (Melee) (Mushroom Kingdom), Jungle Japes (Jungle Japes), Fourside (Fourside)
Brawl: Distant Planet (Ai no Uta, Ai no Uta (French), Tane no Uta), Frigate Orpheon (Opening/Menu (Metroid Prime)), Mushroomy Kingdom 1-1 (Ground Theme 2, Gritzy Desert) & 1-2 (Underground Theme), New Pork City (You Call This a Utopia?!, Humoresque of a Little Dog), Rumble Falls (DK Jungle 1 Theme (Barrel Blast), The Map Page/Bonus Level), Shadow Moses Island (Least likely unless Snake returns) (All of its music), Wario Ware Inc. (Mona Pizza's Song, Mike's Song, and their respective JP versions), Yoshi's Island (Brawl) (Yoshi's Island), Green Hill Zone (Scrap Brain Zone, Emerald Hill Zone, Sonic Boom, Super Sonic Racing), Hanenbow (Ambience), Spear Pillar (Wild Pokemon Battle! (Diamond/Pearl)), Pirate Ship (The Great Sea, Molgera Battle)
3DS: Prism Tower (Lumoise City) That's it.
We can probably eliminate stages that are already on the 3DS version, because it seems that Wii U isn't going to be getting any of those stages.

For Melee, it should probably be Kongo Jungle instead of Jungle Japes. Distant Planet, likewise, is already on the 3DS version.

The Jiggernaut

Smash Cadet
So basically these stages:
Planet Zebes (Planet Zebes),
Saffron City (Saffron City)
Sector Z (Sector Z)
Mushroom Kingdom (64) (Mushroom Kingdom)
Great Bay (Saria's Song)
Mushroom Kingdom (Melee) (Mushroom Kingdom)
Fourside (Fourside)
Frigate Orpheon (Opening/Menu (Metroid Prime)
New Pork City (You Call This a Utopia?!, Humoresque of a Little Dog)
Rumble Falls (DK Jungle 1 Theme (Barrel Blast), The Map Page/Bonus Level)
Hanenbow (Ambience)
Spear Pillar (Wild Pokemon Battle! (Diamond/Pearl)
Pirate Ship (The Great Sea, Molgera Battle)

Out of those, my hopes go out to Frigate Orpheon, Fourside, and Great Bay. But you never know! I hope that some of the stages that got their music taken can just get new music

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
You mean that you'd want them to pull what they did with 3DS Jungle Japes?
I was pretty sure that had happened already, so I was wondering why the past several posts kept ignoring stages if their music was brought back in some way, even if it wasn't in the same way. Kongo Jungle's music isn't back in Wii U/3DS, for example, but they do have a variation of the theme which is a shortened version simply called "DK Rap" that removed Chunky and Lanky's verses.

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
I was pretty sure that had happened already, so I was wondering why the past several posts kept ignoring stages if their music was brought back in some way, even if it wasn't in the same way. Kongo Jungle's music isn't back in Wii U/3DS, for example, but they do have a variation of the theme which is a shortened version simply called "DK Rap" that removed Chunky and Lanky's verses.
Technically, it's the exact same song only cropped. They labeled it as on old Remix.

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
If Sector Z came back, I would hope it be based off the remake.

I just relized that Smash 5 is probably going to have a Super Mario Maker themed stage. Do you realize how much potential that has? Here's how I see it:

A large Super Mario Bros. NES themed stage that starts out completely flat and empty. After a few seconds a transparent hand holding a stylus comes down and quickly places a few random mario maker objects onto the stage: a new platform, a couple question blocks, four goombas stacked on top of each other, a wiggler with a bullet bill cannon on it's head, and the like. After a bit the hand grabs the old objects, erases them, and adds new objects in their place.

That would be a blast.

Edit:

I need to fantasize about potential stages more often.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I just relized that Smash 5 is probably going to have a Super Mario Maker themed stage. Do you realize how much potential that has? Here's how I see it:

A large Super Mario Bros. NES themed stage that starts out completely flat and empty. After a few seconds a transparent hand holding a stylus comes down and quickly places a few random mario maker objects onto the stage: a new platform, a couple question blocks, four goombas stacked on top of each other, a wiggler with a bullet bill cannon on it's head, and the like. After a bit the hand grabs the old objects, erases them, and adds new objects in their place.

That would be a blast.

Edit:

I need to fantasize about potential stages more often.
Speaking of stages, we've basically got confirmation that another stage will probably be released on the same day. On the website, there's 4 solo stages listed under the DLC section. The file names are also numbered:

stage_1.jpg (Dream Land)
stage_2.jpg (Hyrule Castle)
stage_3.jpg (Peach's Castle)
stage_5.jpg (Super Mario Maker)

Plus, the Super Mario Maker trailers clearly show a missing slot in the roster.

This has already been brought up elsewhere, but now that its finally been posted here, I figured it'd be useful to discuss the possible missing stage.

Personally, my bets are on a Melee stage, most likely Kongo Jungle Melee IMO. A new stage is possible, but I doubt we'll get a new stage (as much as I'd love to see it).

A Pokemon Melee stage is also possible, though, I suppose.

Top Bottom