• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Discussion

Kingbuu

Smash Cadet
So I was thinking about if there was only one version (the Wii U one, obviously) and which stages they would have picked from each. So I combined it with what I would have picked for previous stages (and added a few stages too) so basically this became my dream stage list:

Battlefield
Big Battlefield (resembling Melee’s design for its Battlefield)
Final Destination
3D World (Super Bell Hill or something similar)
Rainbow Road (wouldn't have to necessarily be MK7's or any of them really, could just be generic or a combo of a few, and would represent MK8's anti-gravity like Mario Circuit)
Mario Galaxy
Mario Party (based off one of the earlier games, maybe the Party Cube from 4 or the Star Lift from 3? Or a generic board)
Princess Peach’s Castle (Melee)
Delfino Plaza (Brawl)
Jungle Hijinx
Something from DKC: Tropical Freeze
Kongo Jungle (64)
75m (Brawl)
Gerudo Valley
Spirit Train
Hyrule Castle (64)
Temple (Melee)
Pyrosphere
Brinstar (Melee)
Norfair (Brawl)
Wooly World
Yoshi's Cookie, just to mess with people (and could be interesting if done right)
Yoshi’s Island (64)
Yoshi’s Island (Melee)
The Great Cave Offensive
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
Fountain of Dreams (Melee)
Halberd (Brawl)
Orbital Gate Assault
Corneria (Melee)
Lylat Cruise (Brawl)
Unova Pokémon League
Kalos Pokémon League
Pokémon Stadium X (either takes on the appearance of PS1 or a whole new look, transformations from both 1 and 2)
Saffron City (64)
Poké Floats (Melee)
Some new F-Zero Stage that isn’t the 3DS one
Mute City (Melee)
Port Town Aero Dive (Brawl)
Magicant
Onett (Melee)
Fourside (Melee)
Arena Ferox
Coliseum
Castle Siege (Brawl)
Flat Zone X
Palutena’s Temple
Skyworld (Brawl)
Gamer
Wario Land Something, probably Shake It
WarioWare, Inc. (Brawl)
Garden of Hope
Tortimer Island
Something based off City Folk or New Leaf that isn't Smashville 2.0; if it's in the village it would change time and season according to the Wii U clock
Smashville
Wii Fit Studio
Boxing Ring
Gaur Plain
Living Room
Tomadochi Life
Duck Hunt
Icicle Mountain (Melee) </3
Wrecking Crew
Wuhu Island
PictoChat
Windy Hill Zone
Wily Castle
Pac-Maze

I counted 68 stages, which is a lot, especially with some of the bigger ones but I think the Wii U could handle it. This would be good because not only would most of the "big" series' get a similar amount of stages, but there would be representation for games that don't have much in this installment, plus a more-even selection of past stages.
I'm pretty sure many of those stages especially the handheld ones probably wouldn't have even been thought of if it weren't for Sakurai trying to purposely pick stages from handheld or console games specifically. Also that the Wii U stages are much harder to make than the 3DS stages. Plus a handful of returning stages were just there as filler for the sake of there being a returning stage for that said franchise, such as Yoshi's Island Melee and Kongo Jungle 64 and Mario Circuit Brawl (Which the former two i actually like and am glad they felt obligated to put those stages in.)

Kingbuu

Smash Cadet
So I was thinking about if there was only one version (the Wii U one, obviously) and which stages they would have picked from each. So I combined it with what I would have picked for previous stages (and added a few stages too) so basically this became my dream stage list:

Battlefield
Big Battlefield (resembling Melee’s design for its Battlefield)
Final Destination
3D World (Super Bell Hill or something similar)
Rainbow Road (wouldn't have to necessarily be MK7's or any of them really, could just be generic or a combo of a few, and would represent MK8's anti-gravity like Mario Circuit)
Mario Galaxy
Mario Party (based off one of the earlier games, maybe the Party Cube from 4 or the Star Lift from 3? Or a generic board)
Princess Peach’s Castle (Melee)
Delfino Plaza (Brawl)
Jungle Hijinx
Something from DKC: Tropical Freeze
Kongo Jungle (64)
75m (Brawl)
Gerudo Valley
Spirit Train
Hyrule Castle (64)
Temple (Melee)
Pyrosphere
Brinstar (Melee)
Norfair (Brawl)
Wooly World
Yoshi's Cookie, just to mess with people (and could be interesting if done right)
Yoshi’s Island (64)
Yoshi’s Island (Melee)
The Great Cave Offensive
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
Fountain of Dreams (Melee)
Halberd (Brawl)
Orbital Gate Assault
Corneria (Melee)
Lylat Cruise (Brawl)
Unova Pokémon League
Kalos Pokémon League
Pokémon Stadium X (either takes on the appearance of PS1 or a whole new look, transformations from both 1 and 2)
Saffron City (64)
Poké Floats (Melee)
Some new F-Zero Stage that isn’t the 3DS one
Mute City (Melee)
Port Town Aero Dive (Brawl)
Magicant
Onett (Melee)
Fourside (Melee)
Arena Ferox
Coliseum
Castle Siege (Brawl)
Flat Zone X
Palutena’s Temple
Skyworld (Brawl)
Gamer
Wario Land Something, probably Shake It
WarioWare, Inc. (Brawl)
Garden of Hope
Tortimer Island
Something based off City Folk or New Leaf that isn't Smashville 2.0; if it's in the village it would change time and season according to the Wii U clock
Smashville
Wii Fit Studio
Boxing Ring
Gaur Plain
Living Room
Tomadochi Life
Duck Hunt
Icicle Mountain (Melee) </3
Wrecking Crew
Wuhu Island
PictoChat
Windy Hill Zone
Wily Castle
Pac-Maze

I counted 68 stages, which is a lot, especially with some of the bigger ones but I think the Wii U could handle it. This would be good because not only would most of the "big" series' get a similar amount of stages, but there would be representation for games that don't have much in this installment, plus a more-even selection of past stages.
I'm pretty sure many of those stages especially the handheld ones probably wouldn't have even been thought of if it weren't for Sakurai trying to purposely pick stages from handheld or console games specifically. Also that the Wii U stages are much harder to make than the 3DS stages. Plus a handful of returning stages were just there as filler for the sake of there being a returning stage for that said franchise, such as Yoshi's Island Melee and Kongo Jungle 64 and Mario Circuit Brawl (Which the former two i actually like and am glad they felt obligated to put those stages in.)

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
That's true, especially if stages like Palutena's Temple and The Great Cave Offensive were still just as huge. But that was more of a "in a perfect world" kind of list

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Well since this time they really kinda expanded what they could do with Pokemon stages (Lumiose, N's Castle, Kalos League, while all these are similar to others, theyre steps forward) hopefully someday we can get a stage that flies across all regions kind of like the pilotwings stage flies over the old pilotwings games, but with more detail hopefully. You could travel to far away regions like Unova by floating through Hoopa's rings. In one transformation the background could actually go GameBoy style!
It would be a lot of work, but soooo worth it.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I never did mention this, but doesn't it seem very strange that Yoshi's Wooly World get referenced, and yet Kirby's Epic Yarn got no references at all? You'd think that Kirby's Epic Yarn would've gotten referenced as a stage itself.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I never did mention this, but doesn't it seem very strange that Yoshi's Wooly World get referenced, and yet Kirby's Epic Yarn got no references at all? You'd think that Kirby's Epic Yarn would've gotten referenced as a stage itself.
The Kirby stages are both only from Sakurai games. Every franchise always gets stages from the latest games (unless there hasn't been a new game), but Kirby is the exception.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Well, Woolly World has 3D environments with depth to them, and Epic Yarn's environments are more like flat quilts than actual worlds. Smash is a 2.5D series, so Woolly World's 2.5D style just naturally lends itself better to Smash than Epic Yarn's 2D style.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
With the new patch, 4v4 fights can be a lot more diverse. I hear Luigi's Mansion can't be destroyed and Pokemon Stadium 2 won't transform so those definitely should be fought on. Lylat Cruise, Town & City, and Smashville seem totally viable too, as well as all the new omega stages.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I hope that somewhere down the line some of the exclusive stages for each version of the game are put on the opposite version. I want Paper Mario, Rainbow Road, and Magicant on Wii U while having Windy Hill, Duck Hunt, and Wrecking Crew on 3DS would be cool.

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
Well, Woolly World has 3D environments with depth to them, and Epic Yarn's environments are more like flat quilts than actual worlds. Smash is a 2.5D series, so Woolly World's 2.5D style just naturally lends itself better to Smash than Epic Yarn's 2D style.
Flat Zone worked. Epic Yarn could've worked too.

Honestly I don't see the value in the idea of fighting in a huge cave offensive themed stage. Like, what was the idea? It's so damn big and dangerous that you can't have a decent match on it. It is way too easy to be thrown into the lava zones by a rogue item or a random attack...
I do wish an Epic Yarn stage or at least something from Return to Dreamland... or even an Arena/True Arena based stage was considered instead....
Alas, twas not meant to be. :(

Kingbuu

Smash Cadet
Flat Zone worked. Epic Yarn could've worked too.

Honestly I don't see the value in the idea of fighting in a huge cave offensive themed stage. Like, what was the idea? It's so damn big and dangerous that you can't have a decent match on it. It is way too easy to be thrown into the lava zones by a rogue item or a random attack...
I do wish an Epic Yarn stage or at least something from Return to Dreamland... or even an Arena/True Arena based stage was considered instead....
Alas, twas not meant to be. :(
For Sakurai it was like being you the guy who chooses which people to accept at a prestigious university and the final choice comes down between your kid who you love very much (GCO from Super Star) who is smart but already pretty old and experienced has already been accepted multiple times as well as his older brother (Halberd from Super Star) and this other kid who is younger, new and more ambitious. Obviously you would pick your own kid right?

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Can I just say that the Guar Plain has the weakest boss for smash? The boss can just show up and sometimes destroy a platform from one of the sides or stand on both sides. You are not forced ro fight him at all. Infact, if you leave him alone, he'll just leave. He doesn't try to fight if people don't bother with him. What kind of boss is that? Not to mention his weak arsenal of attacks are slow and easy to dodge. He doesn't even try to protect himself and can die in a few hits. At least the yellow devil can protect himself by closing his eye and his attacks have a much better chance of getting a hit. I don't know why they decided to put a boss in Guar Plain. He is just a waste of space imo.

Cool Typhlosion

Smash Apprentice
Can I just say that the Guar Plain has the weakest boss for smash? The boss can just show up and sometimes destroy a platform from one of the sides or stand on both sides. You are not forced ro fight him at all. Infact, if you leave him alone, he'll just leave. He doesn't try to fight if people don't bother with him. What kind of boss is that? Not to mention his weak arsenal of attacks are slow and easy to dodge. He doesn't even try to protect himself and can die in a few hits. At least the yellow devil can protect himself by closing his eye and his attacks have a much better chance of getting a hit. I don't know why they decided to put a boss in Guar Plain. He is just a waste of space imo.
Its trying to give xenoblade as good representation as possible without overdoing it

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I like having the option of whether or not to fight him, personally. If I'm having a more serious match, I can ignore him and continue the 1v1. If I'm doing For Fun-style, everyone can team up to take him down. If we're not going to get a hazard switch, this type of boss is the next best thing in my eyes.

D

Deleted member

At least he has 47 different quotes!

No seriously- Metal Face has more voice clips than Shulk, and Shulk is playable.

Last edited by a moderator:

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
I'm probably one of the few that actaully enjoys playing on the Orbital Gate stage. I can totally understand it not being ideal for a serious competivie match, but it's just a breath of fresh air after fighting on many stationary stages after a while. (Thank you Sakurai) And I'm also a bit bias cuz it's based off the game I quite enjoyed.

Last edited:

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
You can only do it in 5-8 player Smash, though. The stage hazards are active until five players (even if you're playing with 1-4 players in 8-player Smash mode).
Knew someone would say it - watching the video would've explained it all...

Just get 3 dummy players for 1v1 and SD or 1 dummy player if it's doubles.
Simple as - 3 more tournament viable stages.

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
Knew someone would say it - watching the video would've explained it all...

Just get 3 dummy players for 1v1 and SD or 1 dummy player if it's doubles.
Simple as - 3 more tournament viable stages.
Using the gamepad as an SDing player even allows you to put their percentages on display.

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
I
You can do that if you're not playing with the GamePad as well.
Oh I know, but this is a use for the Gamepad as you can't really allow players to use it - if both wanted it, one is at a disadvantage.
Splitting hairs, I know, but I'm trying to make the most of these stages

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I

Oh I know, but this is a use for the Gamepad as you can't really allow players to use it - if both wanted it, one is at a disadvantage.
Splitting hairs, I know, but I'm trying to make the most of these stages
Ah. I thought you meant it was exclusive to someone playing with it. Yeah, that is a good compromise. This reminds me of those online tournaments that have P1 be the host and SD at the start, while P2/P3 are the actual combatants.

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
Ah. I thought you meant it was exclusive to someone playing with it. Yeah, that is a good compromise. This reminds me of those online tournaments that have P1 be the host and SD at the start, while P2/P3 are the actual combatants.
It's a lot simpler too.
Although I do wish the community at large could have a custom stage competition, with the top 5 stages being displayed so you could still pick them in a tournament and it wouldn't feel unfamiliar.

But, just like Brawl, saying "no lol" is simply easier.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
It's another flat stage. The characters are still flat like in the side-scrolling version, and the art style is retained from the normal stage:
It's the worst omega in the game. It's walled, but you can't wall jump or cling from it which ruins the point and might cost someone a stock because muscle memory. Also it looks pretty bad. Unlock it for the sake of completion but dont play on it

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
@ Munomario777 Munomario777 - Thanks man, but I'll pass.

It's the worst omega in the game. It's walled, but you can't wall jump or cling from it which ruins the point and might cost someone a stock because muscle memory. Also it looks pretty bad. Unlock it for the sake of completion but dont play on it
Sounds like a sneaky counterpick though...

Last edited:

_gold_

Smash Master
It's too bad Corneria didn't make it into the Wii U version. It was ten times better then Orbital Gate. Then again, I made a custom stage version which I'm pretty proud of. Wish I could share it!

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I just wish certain stages had hazard-less versions.
Wily Castle because I love the moving platforms but hate Yellow Devil...
Orbital Gate Assault because I like the Great Fox part but hate everything else...
etc.

_gold_

Smash Master
I just wish certain stages had hazard-less versions.
Wily Castle because I love the moving platforms but hate Yellow Devil...
Orbital Gate Assault because I like the Great Fox part but hate everything else...
etc.
With Wily Castle, just go omega. Same with Pyrosphere. I don't think they're exact size of the originals, but close enough.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
Anyone else disappointed with vanilla Kalos Pokemon League?

I hate how whatever holds the platforms in the Fire and Steel versions has a hitbox and damages you as well as the pointless metal transformations.

Water stage has a walkoff (but so does Castle Siege and Delfino) so I don't know what to say especially when water rushes down.

Lastly, I don't think the Dragon portion is too bad; I haven't played it too much but aren't the dragon statue's attacks telegraphed and easy to dodge?

But the Legendary Pokemon are way too much.

What do you guys think about this stage? Disappointed? Like it?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Anyone else disappointed with vanilla Kalos Pokemon League?

I hate how whatever holds the platforms in the Fire and Steel versions has a hitbox and damages you as well as the pointless metal transformations.

Water stage has a walkoff (but so does Castle Siege and Delfino) so I don't know what to say especially when water rushes down.

Lastly, I don't think the Dragon portion is too bad; I haven't played it too much but aren't the dragon statue's attacks telegraphed and easy to dodge?

But the Legendary Pokemon are way too much.

What do you guys think about this stage? Disappointed? Like it?
personally i love it fantastic

MajorMajora

Smash Ace
I'm currently doing some analytical regression (is that a thing?) on the number of new and returning stages each game and how the change over time (WiiU and 3ds counting as one game) and the interesting implications it has on 5mash (Smash 5). What I discovered actually kind of surprised me, I'm hoping I can post about it tomorrow.

Top Bottom