• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSBM Tutorials Presents: Fox McCloud Character Overview

pokemon64ism

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LemyKoopa

When it comes to Super Smash Bros. Melee, Fox is widely considered to be the most iconic character in the competitive scene. The space warrior from Corneria is known for his high technical skill, fast gameplay, and for being considered the best character in the game.

However, there is more to Fox than that. Join Kira from SSBM Tutorials as he discusses everything you need to know about Fox in Melee!

Pokemon64ism is a proud Fox main and he enjoys videos like this. You follow him on Twitter here.

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
Waiting for a Kirby overview, can't wait to see what I can learn from that!

FEOwain

Smash Apprentice
I hope he makes a Marth one. Or if he makes one for FE characters and starts with me.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Sure, yeah, focus on a character who gets too much attention and keep furthering his metagame. Sure, ignore anyone under the top 10 characters and not discover much with them; I'm looking at you, Kirby players.

(Look, no matter what you may say everyone, we're nowhere close to having a balanced meta in Melee due to the over-exaggeration of attention to Fox, Falco and the top tiers. The only way we could have a more balanced and probably more believable MU set and tier list in Melee is if people stop focusing on the Top Tiers, drops them and start to study the lower tiers. Believe me, we're judging books by their covers on anyone lower than Doctor Mario by now.)

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
Nice. An article on the only character in Melee. Finally.
/smashcirclejerk

lean23

Smash Rookie
Sure, yeah, focus on a character who gets too much attention and keep furthering his metagame. Sure, ignore anyone under the top 10 characters and not discover much with them; I'm looking at you, Kirby players.

(Look, no matter what you may say everyone, we're nowhere close to having a balanced meta in Melee due to the over-exaggeration of attention to Fox, Falco and the top tiers. The only way we could have a more balanced and probably more believable MU set and tier list in Melee is if people stop focusing on the Top Tiers, drops them and start to study the lower tiers. Believe me, we're judging books by their covers on anyone lower than Doctor Mario by now.)
Okay bud, listen really closely to what I'm about to say. You are a scrub. You have no idea what you are talking about.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
He is iconic because he is that much stronger than the rest of the cast in that game.

edit: I like the video though, I love well made tutorial videos.

Last edited:

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
If you don't main Fox then you are actively putting yourself at a disadvantage.

sup shiek mains

J.P

Smash Journeyman
NNID
3DS FC
2466-2692-8715
All characters can be played offensively or defensively depending on the player.
*cough* Leffen's Fox *cough*

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
Niiice. Going to watch the video in a few, but I love the idea. I make it a point to let people know who certain characters are in the game, when they don't.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
I can't really argue with the fact that the Melee Establishment places special focus on the top tiered fighters... unfortunately, considering the circumstances of said establishment, the Melee community doesn't give anyone REAL incentive to put very much work on the lower tiers...

because where there's tournaments, there's money, and when there's money, people want to win it, and when people want to win, they will use the best tools at their disposal to get it... unfortunately, those tools are used by practically EVERYONE...

And while it's nothing really made official, and from what I figure, is not outright stated consciously... but if you decide to main a lower tiered fighter for the longhaul, you WILL get scoffed at in some degree because you're using "something that's not as good."

Delta Chae

The Observer

Do you understand that low tiers are low tier for a reason? Either they have terrible frame data, crippling flaws, terrible physics, terrible mobility, or some combination of the above and pretty much every low tier has a combination of the above. I'd like to issue you a challenge: make a list, on one list you will take Fox and list his strengths and weaknesses separate from each-other. Once that's done do the same with Bowser. If you have done this in a completely objective manner with none of your bias against top tiers factoring in then my point has been made.

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
Mission Complete!
(Nice guide. More melee content on the front page is nice(not hating on smash 4))

pershona

Smash Journeyman

Yeah, sure everyone should drop their high-top tier mains, and instead use characters with less limited options and tools.
That sounds like way more fun!

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352

Well, to be frank.

Melee ain't that well balanced and most of the cast is discovered pretty well off.

Maybe there are some characters that do hit that "maybe they are better?" Like Pikachu, Ice Climbers, Yoshi etc.

But overall I don't think it would change much so people would look at them as options. Just that they would be better than before.

Melee is going towards that top tier only mindset, and pretty much spacies only mindset, just slowly but surely.

Gimmick

Smash Ace
I use to enjoy Melee but the meta's become somewhat stale. After seeing countless Foxes, Falcos, Sheiks, Marths, etc... It just got boring. People keep mentiong, "Oh yeah. The meta is developing. Were discovering new techs and combos... With Shiek, Falco, and Fox". And lets face it... You can't blame them. Why would I ever choose Kirby if my intentions are to win?

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
I use to enjoy Melee but the meta's become somewhat stale. After seeing countless Foxes, Falcos, Sheiks, Marths, etc... It just got boring. People keep mentiong, "Oh yeah. The meta is developing. Were discovering new techs and combos... With Shiek, Falco, and Fox". And lets face it... You can't blame them. Why would I ever choose Kirby if my intentions are to win?

I use to enjoy Smash4 but the meta's become somewhat stale. After seeing countless Shieks, Luigis, Diddys, Zero suits, etc... It just got boring. People keep mentiong, "Oh yeah. The meta is developing. Were discovering new techs and combos... With Shiek, Luigi, and Diddy". And lets face it... You can't blame them. Why would I ever choose Little Mac if my intentions are to win?

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Well, to be frank.

Melee ain't that well balanced and most of the cast is discovered pretty well off.

Maybe there are some characters that do hit that "maybe they are better?" Like Pikachu, Ice Climbers, Yoshi etc.

But overall I don't think it would change much so people would look at them as options. Just that they would be better than before.

Melee is going towards that top tier only mindset, and pretty much spacies only mindset, just slowly but surely.
My point is, is that I just want to see more and more people represent the "low tier" characters. I believe Melee is still quite undiscovered, with the low tiers being simply pushed aside despite their possible potential.

Maybe Link and Young Link are better than they appear and deserve the lower spots of high tier. Maybe Donkey Kong is still somewhat viable. Maybe Yoshi should be in the middle of the high tier.

We should try to all at least expand the amount of characters seen in tournaments. I know a person's style of a single character varies between one person and another, but it doesn't disregard the fact that it's the same characters used more often than Scorpion in Mortal Kombat X's launch.

Maybe there's something about the middle, low and bottom tiers left undiscovered? Probably. Look at Young Link (and to a lesser extent, Link) and Yoshi.

Top Bottom