• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSBB Styled Characters for Mugen

Bane84

Smash Journeyman
Hey all,

I'm working on developing SSBB styled characters for the Mugen engine. I have already posted a topic over at Mugenguild, so I'll just copy what I posted over there here:

Site: http://www.mugenguild.com/bane84/

Current Version
The current version of the SSBB core is Version 3, packaged with SSBB Kirby Beta 3.

Project Intent
This core engine is an effort to create Smash Bros Brawl styled characters for Mugen. This engine is meant to include, but is not limited to including, characters from the actual Smash Bros game, as well as characters that were wanted to be in, but never made it in.

Current Features
Rules
  • Stamina
  • Stock - Select from 1 to 99 lives.
  • Timed - Select from 1 to 99 minutes.

Team Modes
  • Team Battle
  • Free For All

Gameplay Mechanics
  • Ability to turn Tap Jump ON or OFF (using the UP key to jump).
  • Perfect Guard implemented.
  • Footstool Hopping implemented.
  • Most basics (attacks, specials, throws, dodges, rolls, etc) implemented.
  • Results screen implemented.
  • Most stage mechanics implemented.

Current Stages
  • Final Destination

Current Roster

The next couple of listings are characters and stages that I have found a decent sprite sheet for, but have yet to integrate into the SSBB core.

Prospective Stages
  • Onett

Prospective Roster
  • Mr. Game & Watch
  • Ness
  • Jigglypuff
  • Mewtwo
  • Paper Mario
  • Squirtle (with Pokemon Trainer)

Still Needed
  • Better hitsparks and effects.
  • Basics for transforming characters (Samus/Zero Suit Samus, Zelda/Shiek, Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon, etc).
  • Basics for projectile reflection.

Notes
  • The attempt is to not only make characters using this core be able to interact with each other, but also be compatable with regular Mugen characters.
  • Regular Mugen characters are not compatable with any of the stages compatable with the SSBB core, and as such, should not be used in these stages.
  • When using characters in this core, you will need to increase the maximum number of Explods that your Mugen can display. This number can be found in your mugen.cfg file.
  • Mugen does not support camera zoom. This core will emulate Fixed Camera mode in Brawl. Characters can be scaled down to interact with larger stages, however, as far as I know, the largest stage possible is always going to be 320x240 pixels.
  • The wall/platform detection isn't perfect. Sometimes characters can fall through the platform and be pushed to the outside.
  • Odd things may happen when a round ends. This is normal behavior due to the various ways victory can be achieved through each of the different sets of Rules.

Bug Fixes Needed
  • Some hitsparks still appear in the wrong spots due to the character scaling.

Current WIP Screenshots

Currently working on (as of the time of this posting)...
  • Finally beefed up the AI.
  • Addressed some minor glitches that occurred in previous versions.
  • The basis for adding items is in. I am now in the process of adding items.

This topic will be updated as progress is made on this project. Do us all a favor and do NOT flood this topic with character requests. I will make this clear right now: I do NOT plan on porting over "ZOMG Naruto" and anime characters into this core, as I feel they have no place in it. That's all for now.

Thanks to a YouTube user RandomYoshi, there are a few YouTube videos up of my core in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz3eKF6r5bA Gameplay Test (note that this is before the AI beef up, hence the AI sucks).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwhHPyfMj6k A demonstration of Kirby's moveset.

As of this posting, I've implemented the following items (not shown in any screenshot or video yet):

• All food items.
  • Heart Container
  • Maxim Tomato
  • Super Mushroom
  • Poison Mushroom
  • Franklin Badge
  • Screw Attack Badge
  • Starman
  • Banana Peel (in progress)

Mugen has some limitations on certain categories (projectile reflection, lack of camera zoom, etc). I'm trying my best to work around these, however. The project is also limited by how many decent sprite sheets I can find on the internet. Also, once I finish the basics of the core (all items, Assist Trophies, Pokeballs, etc), I will be adding new characters to the roster.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
This looks like one heck of a project you're undertaking.

I've played MUGEN for a short time, and I must say that I never thought to see something like this in the game. I wish you the best of luck with this project.:)

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
Wow, it looks nice! Can't wait. :)
Hopefully you don't add any fan or anime characters X_X

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
This honestly looks really, really cool.

Top Bottom