• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squirtle for DLC ~ Show your support to Squirtle in the Fighter Ballot!

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
SQUIRTLE

Squirtle's artwork from Brawl, 2008.
Who is Squirtle and why should I care?
Squirtle is a Pokemon character who was in SSBB, but got removed in the newest SSB games. He was part of a transformation team, with Charizard and Ivysaur (who also got the boot). Us Squirtlelers?... think that we shouldn't be ditched due to some "popularity"!

Where can I find out more about Squirtle?
You can find more about Squirtle by playing Pokemon games, or by visiting the official Pokemon site. link

FREQUENT OBJECTIONS

Why is Squirtle deserving? He isn't popular, and we have Greninja!!!
Squirtle is deserving, because he is a popular Pokemon character + a Brawl newcomer. If Charizard gets to stay, why not Squirtle? Also, Greninja and Squirtle had very different play styles. Greninja is like a ninja (duh), while Squirtle is not.

But he's unevolved!
This hasn't stopped Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pichu, Mewtwo (yeah he's technically unevolved), Ivysaur or Squirtle himself for that matter.

Too many Pokemon characters!!!!
Since when do franchises have a limit on how many characters they get?

He isn't relevant!
His evolved form, Blastoise, has obtained a Mega Evolution in the recent Pokemon entries "Pokemon X & Y", along with Venusaur and Charizard. You can also select Squirtle as a gift from Professor Sycamore (other options being Charmander or Bulbasaur).

He's a trophy.
So are Mewtwo and Lucas.
/fin

Seashell Fun!

Moveset from Brawl:

Ground attacks
Normal
  • Dash attack - Squirtle runs, turns around while jumping, and hits with the back of its shell. Does around 6-10% damage. Does the most damage when it comes out. Oddly, it usually knocks foes in a 45° trajectory angle behind Squirtle. A fairly awkward move in general. Hits on frame 6-24.
  • Neutral attack - Squirtle punches once, then jumps forward and slaps with the tail, then flips forward and hits with the tail again. It's a one frame jab. Does 3%, 2%, 4% a total of 9% damage. The second hit can trip foes sometimes, or simply lead into a grab.
  • Up tilt - Squirtle hops up onto its tail, thrusting upward. Very quick. Somewhat resembles R.O.B.'s up tilt, only Squirtle needs to jump to get some range. Squirtle's small body becomes the hitbox for this move. This move can lead into itself, Squirtle's up special if foe DIs right, an up smash, an up aerial or neutral aerial. Does 6% damage. Hits on frame 5-6.
  • Forward tilt - Squirtle gets on all fours and slaps forward with its tail. Also very quick (start-up of 4 frames), and can repeated in rapid succession. The move has short range, and can be angled slightly. Does 6% damage.
  • Down tilt - Squirtle gets on its belly and withdraws its limbs, then spins forward, sweeping with its tail. Does around 9% damage, with a maximum of 13% damage possible (does multi-hits, which it helps against stale-move negation). When Squirtle is not tired, this move can KO lighter foes at extreme percentages, around 180% damage ranges. One of the strongest down tilts. Hitbox out on frame 6.
Smash attacks
  • Down smash - Squirtle withdraws into its shell and spins, shooting water out of both sides. Does 11% uncharged, 15% damage fully charged. This attack is comparatively weak and has short range - the small water burst and Squirtle's grounded spinning shell. Hits on frame 17.
  • Up smash - Squirtle jumps and slams its hands down on the ground causing geysers to rise on both sides of it, hitting a fairly large area, especially up. Does 16% uncharged, 22% damage fully charged. A powerful vertical finisher, this is Squirtle's most powerful attack, being able to KO at 66% when fully charged. Hits on frame 19 and 25.
  • Forward smash - Squirtle withdraws into its shell and launches forward. It can be angled up or down. Has launch resistance frames but short reach and long start-up (hits on frame 18-20) and ending lag limits its effectiveness. Does 14-19% damage.
Other attacks
  • Ledge attack- Gets up and whips its tail forward. Similar to its forward tilt in both appearance and range. Does 8% damage.
  • Ledge attack over 100%- Gets up and headbutts forward. Limited range. Does 10% damage.
  • Floor attack- Does 6% damage.
Aerial attacks
  • Neutral aerial - Withdraws into shell and spins in midair, releasing water from all sides. Good duration, also a good defensive move, due to its rather short range. Does 9% damage. Start-up of 4 frames.
  • Up aerial - Flips upward, using tail to knock opponents vertically. Somewhat weak, has a hard time KOing foes with good DI. Does 11% damage. Hits on frame 6.
  • Down aerial - Thrusts its tail downward, spinning around in a multi-hit attack. Similar to Mario's Mario Tornado, but with more vertical range due to the tail and the last hit inflicts decent horizontal knockback. Does 10% damage if all hits connect. Start-up of 6 frames.
  • Forward aerial - Thrusts both legs forward, hitting quickly. Fairly long duration, high knockback. Can KO off the stage at higher damage percentages. Great for gimping. Does 6% damage if it connects after the first frame and 12% damage if it connects in the first frame. Has sex kick properties. Hits from frame 5 to 14.
  • Back aerial - Thrusts its tail backward, hitting quickly. Fairly long duration, decent knockback. Has sex kick properties like his forward aerial. Also good for gimping and/or edgeguarding. Does 6% damage if it connects after the first frame and 10% damage if it connects in the first frame. Hitbox out on frame 5 and it ends on frame 14, like is fair.
Grabs and throws
  • Pummel - Headbutts the grabbed opponent. Does 2% damage. Relatively fast. Can grab release into a jab.
  • Forward throw - Puts its opponent in front of it, then kicks them. Does 9% damage.
  • Back throw - Puts its opponent behind it, and kicks their back. Has some KO power, if it doesn't KO, simply follow with a back aerial (best used to KO near the ledge). KOs near the ledge around 150% damage. Does 10% damage.
  • Down throw - Throws its opponent on the ground and slams on top of them. Second strongest down throw in the game and strongest down throw with horizontal knockback. Easily KOs around 130% damage. Does 7% damage.
  • Up throw - Throws its opponent upward and tackles them while in its shell. Also has moderate KO power above 150% damage. Does 11% damage.
Special moves
Neutral Special - Watergun
Side Special - Withdraw
Up Special - Waterfall
Down Special - Pokemon Change

Final Smash! - Hydro Pump of Triple Finish

-taken from ssbwiki

Decorate your signature with Squirtle!
By @N3ON

Supporter list (30 and counting!)

Discuss about Squirtle today!

Last edited:

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I'm ashamed about myself for not creating this thread, considering he was my only Brawl main that was cut (My secondary was Pokémon Trainer, but I didn't use Ivysaur or Charizard that much). He gets 100.000.000% support from me.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
I'm ashamed about myself for not creating this thread, considering he was my only Brawl main that was cut (My secondary was Pokémon Trainer, but I didn't use Ivysaur or Charizard that much). He gets 100.000.000% support from me.
I understand :c kinda mad i didn't get the icies thread lol

my 2nd to 5th main were all cut (Lucas, Icies, Ivysaur and Squirts), so it just felt natural to make the support thread for the latter 2.
If you'd like, though, I could let you be the owner of this thread not that being TC is bad. 2 is a lot to handle., since I'm about to make the Ivysaur thread, and 2 threads seems like a lot when you think about it. It'd be nice to spread ownership of the threads, you know?

Just food for thought cx

also, added you to the supporter list

Last edited:

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I understand :c kinda mad i didn't get the icies thread lol

my 2nd to 5th main were all cut (Lucas, Icies, Ivysaur and Squirts), so it just felt natural to make the support thread for the latter 2.
If you'd like, though, I could let you be the owner of this thread not that being TC is bad. 2 is a lot to handle., since I'm about to make the Ivysaur thread, and 2 threads seems like a lot when you think about it. It'd be nice to spread ownership of the threads, you know?

Just food for thought cx

also, added you to the supporter list
Oh, I would be really happy if you let me be the owner of this thread. I really liked owning the Greninja thread before the release of Smash 4.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
-snip-
*posts like these would be better in PM*

Last edited:

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
As long as he comes with my waifu Ivysaur.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I support this. The concept of removing characters with completely unique movesets is ridiculous.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I'm down. I'd personally like him to be Blastoise'd up as part of being made a singular character instead of a transforming one, but I'll take any new characters.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Sure you can put me on the list
I read the title really really wrong... sorry I had to say that

Last edited:

Iblistech

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NeosCross
3DS FC
3179-6577-8881
Switch FC
SW-7096-0760-2425
I'm game too. He was my very first Pokemon after all. Plus, I'm showing a bit of support with the sig I'm using now. :D

BoN~

Smash Cadet
NNID
Riskyx
3DS FC
4742-7971-2374
OMG,This Is Very Amazing,I Have Planing Make Squirtles Posts On Miiverse,In A Few Minutes!
Add Me On The Supporters Please c:
Thanks! :3

Spatman

Smash Ace
It's so sad that Squirtle has a thread with so few messages, and so few supporters... Squirtle deserves a much better destiny!
I'm in.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
Not technically a necro-bump, so I support. Squirtle is my Brawl main (Well PT is, but you get my point.)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Wow. This thread died quickly. Tepig2000 is falling on the job with the supporters list, but anyways, if Squirtle were to come back his down special should be Water Pulse. Water Pulse should have a chance to break shields with one hit. (A small chance. Maybe 15 or 25% chance.)

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Sorry for not updating the thread in a long time. Gonna add more people to the supporter list. Any ideas on how I could expand the OP?

@ SMAASH! Puppy SMAASH! Puppy I assume you're a supporter?

Last edited:

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I'm not very good at making movesets, but I changed two of the counter-arguments (namely the "he's unevolved" and "too many Pokémon" arguments) to better ones.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
You could add my Water Pulse idea, and whatever it is they did to him in Project M. You could also ask for moveset change suggestions, and add them to the OP.
And yeah. I'm a supporter. I want every cut character back in smash. I hope replying to this thread will help revive it. (Because the most recent posts will make the thread the post was posted in show at the top.)

linhgame

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Linh-Game
3DS FC
1736-0779-8050
I support this, Squirtle was my main in Brawl and I got so sad when he was cut from SSB4.

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys! Let's all vote for Squirtle

Wow, nice picture! Could you please add me to the supporters list? Like Smash Puppy, I'd like to have every past smasher in Sm4sh back. And Squirtle was soooo cool to play with and it deserves the slot in Sm4sh.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I support the return of my favorite starter basic evolution.

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
We might revive this thread yet! So what do you guys think about Water Pulse being Squirtle's down special?
I can't even imagine how that would look like... I never knew how exactly that attack works. Animations ingame look different to them from the anime sometimes. I'd say Rapid Spin is a cool move for his down special, if it's not too similar to the tornados of the bros and doc.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I can't even imagine how that would look like... I never knew how exactly that attack works. Animations ingame look different to them from the anime sometimes. I'd say Rapid Spin is a cool move for his down special, if it's not too similar to the tornados of the bros and doc.
Water Pulse should have a chance to break shields with one hit. (A small chance. Maybe 15 or 25% chance.)
It'd be a small ball of water that is used as a projectile. Alternatively to what I said earlier it could turn opponents around.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
His side B is practically rapid spin as it is.

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
His side B is practically rapid spin as it is.
More or less. But you're right. I think it's better if Squirtle has water attacks for special moves.

It'd be a small ball of water that is used as a projectile. Alternatively to what I said earlier it could turn opponents around.
Sounds pretty cool. My only hope is that the down b is a water attack.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
You know what would be cool (pun complete accidental)? A Water Gun custom called "Ice Beam" that needs charging but freezes enemies.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
It's so sad that no one is fighting for Squirtle. He had a fun and unique move set.

I would think hype for him would be higher with all the other returning vets.

Top Bottom