• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spyro the Dragon For SSB WII U. DLC

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
Holy jesus, eighteen days this thread has been silent?! That's not right!
Anyway, I'd like to draw your attention to a fangame called Super Smash Bros Crusade. The trailer for the newest version dropped and it looks pretty cool, but what irks me is that this is a Smash Bros fangame where you can play as Crash... but not Spyro.
But you can play as Ristar so I guess we've got nothing to complain about. :ohwell:
Anyway, I made a reddit thread where I go on a pretty intense rant on the subject. I recommend you join me on this quest to put Spyro in a Smash Brothers game that we could actually succeed in. Getting Spyro in Smash Bros proper is like trying to headbutt a brick wall in half, but getting him in Crusade is more like trying to headbutt a board of plywood in half.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Holy jesus, eighteen days this thread has been silent?! That's not right!
Dang, it has been a while. Sorry about that guys, real life has been hectic. :dizzy:
Anyway, I'd like to draw your attention to a fangame called Super Smash Bros Crusade. The trailer for the newest version dropped and it looks pretty cool, but what irks me is that this is a Smash Bros fangame where you can play as Crash... but not Spyro.
Wow, that is pretty disappointing. I thought people thought of Spyro and Crash as an inseparable duo.
But you can play as Ristar so I guess we've got nothing to complain about. :ohwell:
True, true.
Anyway, I made a reddit thread where I go on a pretty intense rant on the subject. I recommend you join me on this quest to put Spyro in a Smash Brothers game that we could actually succeed in. Getting Spyro in Smash Bros proper is like trying to headbutt a brick wall in half, but getting him in Crusade is more like trying to headbutt a board of plywood in half.
I don't have a Reddit account, but you have my support. :)
But right now, it's a possibility that the brick wall can be broken. 19 of the 20 new Skylanders figures have been announced. There's one spot left and a new Spyro has still not been announced for Skylanders: Superchargers. Spyro's chances of getting into Smash are at their highest levels yet.
Also, it's interesting to note that the new versions of the veteran Skylanders are completely redesigned. Before, redesigns of the characters had the same exact moves (with one new "Wow-pow" move). Now, they will completely different movesets. This is a stretch, but it is the perfect opportunity to release a Spyro figure that is similar to his classic self. Again, this is speculation at its finest, but I wouldn't deny the possibility just yet.

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
... right now, it's a possibility that [Spyro could join Smash U]. 19 of the 20 new Skylanders figures have been announced. There's one spot left and a new Spyro has still not been announced for Skylanders: Superchargers. Spyro's chances of getting into Smash are at their highest levels yet.
Yes, evidence does suggest a big new change for Spyro is on the way, but I'll eat my Wii Fit Trainer amiibo if it has anything to do with Smash.

snakeguy86

Smash Cadet
I Would love to see Spyro in Smash Bros 4.
They Put in Too Many Clone Characters with the same Moves .
Dark Pit and Pit Look Identical,Wolf is like Fox,Lucina Has Marth's Moves,and Dr.Mario
I believe New Characters Should have been Created to Reach to us More.

Spyro the Dragon is loved by people of both the Younger Generation of Kids Today The People who Played his Famous Games in the Early 90's.

With Nintendo Having their Characters in Skylanders Suprechargers I Wonder if Spyro will one day be in Smash Bros???

FreezeGuy64

Smash Cadet
Well Spyro inclusion will be very interesting and amazing to fans, he's iconic and also ! Nintendo and Activision are partnering to add DK and Bowser in Skylanders SuperChargers exclusive to Wii U so who knows what are they up to.

But as much as i would to see Spyro join Smash, he's more PlayStation tbh, but we'll see

Zelduh!

Smash Cadet
As said in previous posts I think he would be better suited in PlayStation All Stars or something. However saying that I love the character and he remains very special for me as Spyro games were some of my favourite PS one games I've played.

If he was added to smash though I would be very pleased.

FreezeGuy64

Smash Cadet
As said in previous posts I think he would be better suited in PlayStation All Stars or something. However saying that I love the character and he remains very special for me as Spyro games were some of my favourite PS one games I've played.

If he was added to smash though I would be very pleased.
Same here, i will be very excited and happy to see Spyro duke it out with Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Kirby, Link etc......
That'll be freaking awesome !!!!!

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
I'm glad to see some new faces on this thread. :)
Also, I wrote about why Spyro would fit better in Smash than in PSASBR earlier. If you want to read it, here it is:
If we were talking about the classic Spyro the Dragon only, I would wholeheartedly agree. After all, he was their mascot. However, when considering the entire extent of the Spyro the Dragon series (all three versions included), the relationship with Sony is not really significant. In fact, Nintendo has a better relationship with Spyro. There have been more Nintendo-exclusive Spyro games than there have been Sony-exclusives. And everything I mentioned in the previous spoiler about Activision and Nintendo's relationship pertains to this spoiler as well. When examining the entire life of Spyro the Dragon, we find that his place in Sony is largely irrelevant. Nostalgia inflates the scope of their relationship. In reality, they have grown further apart over the years.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
They Put in Too Many Clone Characters with the same Moves .
Dark Pit and Pit Look Identical,Wolf is like Fox,Lucina Has Marth's Moves,and Dr.Mario
I believe New Characters Should have been Created to Reach to us More.
Gonna have to come up with better reasons than that.

Sakurai has stated (multiple times, I think) that clone characters take way less time to make than an original character. Like, less than a sixth of the time.

There's only ~3 real clones in the game (:4lucina::4darkpit::4drmario:), so...

snakeguy86

Smash Cadet
I think Spyro Would be Actually Fit Because He's Medium-sized , Plus he has Many Moves and Forms in his Roster to Choose From.
He's not like Ridley who people say is Too Big, Plus Ridley is Already in Smash as a Stage Boss.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Man, I don't like see this thread be so quiet. We need something to do to boost the activity here. Should we try and come up with some more movesets or something? Or do you guys have something else in mind?

FreezeGuy64

Smash Cadet
Spyro's moves can be taken from The Legend of Spyro trilogy, the original series and even Skyalnders

Morbi

Scavenger
I did not even realize that there was a Spyro thread. My sister loves Spyro, it was one of her first video-games and she, in general, is enamored with dragons. After the whole Ridley fiasco, she wants the other purple dragon. As a third party character, Spyro is not nearly as cringe as most others.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Spyro's moves can be taken from The Legend of Spyro trilogy, the original series and even Skyalnders
I feel like the original series doesn't have enough moves. If they made the moveset based off it, they'd probably have to make up half the moves.
I'm not sure about Skylanders, haven't played it enough. I'd still like someone here who plays Skylanders...
The only other main Spyro series is the Legend of Spyro, which I can say would make a really good moveset, but it's the least popular of the three.

If Skylanders Spyro would make a good moveset, then it might be best to base it mostly off that one.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Yokta made a moveset entirely based off of Classic Spyro so it is possible. But I do think that the melee attacks and breath attacks from the Legend of Spyro could make a great moveset as well.
I do play Skylanders, and so I can tell you that Spyro's moves in that game are pretty much just variations of breathing fire and charging at enemies, with the exception of Spyro's Earth Pound, which I do think could make a pretty good move in Smash.

Last edited:

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
You know, I honestly can't remember why I liked the Legend trilogy. The gameplay was monotonous and the story was generic. The four guardians were admittedly well-written, but Cynder was... I don't even know. I didn't like how forced her relationship with Spyro was, especially in the last game where they literally shackle them together for no practical reason.
So why did I base Spyro's moveset around a mechanic from these games?

Pixel_

Smash Ace
You know, I honestly can't remember why I liked the Legend trilogy. The gameplay was monotonous and the story was generic. The four guardians were admittedly well-written, but Cynder was... I don't even know. I didn't like how forced her relationship with Spyro was, especially in the last game where they literally shackle them together for no practical reason.
Maybe because you can shoot lightning from your mouth

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Maybe because you can shoot lightning from your mouth
But classic Spyro could do that too. It was the Earth and Convexity breaths that were brand new.
Maybe being able to finally fly around instead of just glide in the last Legend of Spyro game was what made the series still likeable.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
But classic Spyro could do that too. It was the Earth and Convexity breaths that were brand new.
Maybe being able to finally fly around instead of just glide in the last Legend of Spyro game was what made the series still likeable.
Oh wow, I gotta play those games.
Slowing down time was new though, right?

snakeguy86

Smash Cadet
It's Like How They Destroyed Banjo and Kazooie. Skylanders Superchargers Changed the Full World Game of Skylanders to a Game With Vehicles and Racing.
Skylanders and Spyro Fans Can See They're Doing the Same Thing.
Doing this will only Slowly Erase the Spyro the Older Generation Loved and Played.
I Know This Because Many Great Nintendo Characters have Been Forgotten Banjo and Kazooie Were Slowly Forgotten to.
I Feel Like Spyro will also be Forgotten.

Last edited:

snakeguy86

Smash Cadet
I've Played Spyro since the First Playstation.
I Played Many of his Games on the Game Boy Advance and Nintendo DS.
I also played Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon on Wii.
I Sure Enjoyed the Spyro Games.
The Characters Were Great, Moves Were Cool Looking, Music in The Games Was Very and It Was Great To Defeat the Evil Dragon, Malefor.
I Enjoyed the Legend of Spyro Series Because I Thought it had a Good Story, Plus I Loved Cynder.

Last edited:

snakeguy86

Smash Cadet
I Totally Agree With You.
Spyro can have Fire, Ice, Electricity, and Earth Attacks as well as Some Physical Attacks.

Gotmilk0112

Smash Apprentice
Skylanders...really isn't a Spyro game, at all. The game has nothing to do with Spyro besides having him as a playable character. Calling Skylanders a Spyro game is like calling Smash Bros a Metroid game.

Like seriously, the game has nothing to do with Spyro at all. The world is not related to him, the story is not related to him, nothing at all in the game has anything to do with him in specific. You don't even have to play as him.

/rant

But he's still IMO quite an iconic videogame character that many people know. Certainly not genre-defining like some of Smash's other roster, but still significant enough for a spot alongside others like Bomberman.

Yeah, they ranged from terrible to decent. The first game was just crap. The mechanics were awkward, the writing was beyond godawful (like what the ****, he literally gets ice breath out of nowhere. No explanation at all, he just gets it and rolls with it without question. WTF?) And it was way too linear and got monotonous really, really fast.

The second one was slightly better, adding in some more secret collectibles to make it feel like the older games, and improving the combat a bit...but still had most of the same flaws that the first game had. Too linear, too monotonous, etc.

The third was actually decent, but that's because it was pretty much a God of War clone. Combat system was almost a carbon copy of God of War's. I did however enjoy that this time around, the levels were much less linear and had a lot more exploration to do, instead of just running down a straight hallway-like level and killing everything that moves. The upgrade and "leveling" system was also very nice, as were the hidden secrets throughout all the levels. A huge improvement over the last two titles.

Probably because if you were to go off of the first three games, he really doesn't have much of a "moveset". Flame breath, charge, headbash, and....yeah. There's not much to go off of, there. Whereas the LoS series already has a full "moveset" for him in the game, pretty much.

The Novice Sword

Smash Apprentice
Gotta say, this idea hits me right in the nostalgia feels. I would love to see some iteration of Spyro in Smash. Full support!

Scootch

The coolest Yoshi of them all
NNID
Little_Dragon34
Also, I'd personally not like to see the Skylanders version of Spyro in Smash 4. I don't like his design, and I liked the Legend of Spyro series much better than Skylanders overall.
That is EXACTLY how I feel.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
So, there's no new Spyro this time around in Skylanders. This could mean 1 of 2 things: 1) They've abandoned him. 2) He might come in later as a surprise. Option #2 has a low probability unfortunately. :(

Scootch

The coolest Yoshi of them all
NNID
Little_Dragon34
Dude that doesn't make any sense. Spyro was in all of the other games and the first one was called: Spyro's Adventure! I mean what the heck?

Pixel_

Smash Ace
All of our hopes and dreams for Spyro in Smash are riding on Option 2...

We just have to wait and see :(

Last edited:

snakeguy86

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I Don't Want to Waist My Money Buying Another Set of Skylanders Toys, I've Already Got Enough of Them!!!

All I Can Do Is Hope That Spyro Will Get into Smash Bros 4.

snakeguy86

Smash Cadet
Spyro is a Character I Dream About For Smash Bros 4.

As A Rare Purple Dragon,He has Power to Use The Elements of Fire, Ice,Earth,and Electricity.
He also has a Fury Attack.

Last edited:

Gotmilk0112

Smash Apprentice
So, there's no new Spyro this time around in Skylanders. This could mean 1 of 2 things: 1) They've abandoned him. 2) He might come in later as a surprise. Option #2 has a low probability unfortunately. :(
Dude that doesn't make any sense. Spyro was in all of the other games and the first one was called: Spyro's Adventure! I mean what the heck?
Not sure if you two realized, but Spyro never had anything to do with this franchise in the first place. Notice how the "SPYRO'S ADVENTURE" game had nothing to do with him. The world wasn't related to him, the other characters weren't related to him, the story wasn't related to him....nothing at all in the game had anything to do with Spyro. Activision just used him as their poster child to get peoples' attention.

Calling Skylanders a "Spyro game" is like calling Smash a "Metroid game".

Last edited:

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Not sure if you two realized, but Spyro never had anything to do with this franchise in the first place. Notice how the "SPYRO'S ADVENTURE" game had nothing to do with him. The world wasn't related to him, the other characters weren't related to him, the story wasn't related to him....nothing at all in the game had anything to do with Spyro. Activision just used him as their poster child to get peoples' attention.

Calling Skylanders a "Spyro game" is like calling Smash a "Metroid game".
Wouldn't be too far-fetched to call a Pokemon game a Pikachu game, though. :troll:

Anyway, if he is their poster boy, shouldn't they at least continue giving the special attention?
If they really just let him popularize Skylanders, then trashed him, then I'm not so sure.

Did that really happen? I don't pay much attention to Skylanders.

Last edited:
Top Bottom