• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spyro the Dragon For SSB WII U. DLC

Rosalina suporter

Smash Ace
So i didin't see any one make a thread for Spyro yet if they have then oops lol.

Any how i was just thinking that Spyro has had a few games on Nintendo's system over the years could he stand a chance to get in smash 4?.

Thanks to A10theHero, for the Photo :D!

Spyro is a series of action/platform games. The franchise was originally created and developed by Insomniac Games, and published by Sony Computer Entertainment for the PlayStation. Universal Interactive Studios, now known as Vivendi Universal Games, took over development of the series after the release of the PlayStation 2, as Insomniac Games pursued other projects, including Ratchet & Clank. The rights of the franchise went to Activision.

The series takes place primarily in The Dragon Realms, and features the protagonist Spyro the Dragon, and his friend, Sparx. There are thirteen games in total, including many sequels and a reboot, which cross different consoles. The Spyro series has sold more than 20 million units worldwide.

Skylanders Spyro's Adventure is the first game in the Skylanders series. It is a video game that is played along with toy figures that interact with it through a "Portal of Power", that reads their tag through NFC.
Skylanders Spyro's Adventure was published by Activision and developed by Toys for Bob. It was released on October 12, 2011 in Australia for the PC and October 13, 2011 on other consoles. The game was released in Europe on October 14, 2011, in North America on October 16, 2011, and it was released in South America (including Brazil) by Neoplay on December 15, 2011.
Vicarious Visions developed the Nintendo 3DS release. Frima Studio developed the Web, iPhone and iPad version of Skylanders.Square Enix was supposed to be scheduled to release a Japanese version of this game in late 2012. However, As of January 2013 the game is still not released in that region.
Activision announced that as of June 3, 2012, the game had been the top selling console and handheld video game worldwide for 2012.As of March 31, 2012, Activision has sold over 30 million Skylanders toys, and sales are expected to exceed $500 million by the end of the year.

3DS version

This version of Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure is more of an action platformer than its console counterparts. Players have to complete levels by gathering crystals, which lets them unlock more levels. Each level is littered with crystals, obtained by going towards the end of the level, or by completing a variety of tasks, such as defeating a certain number of enemies, or finding items. Whenever the player finds a crystal, an enemy awakens and a time limit starts. They have to defeat enemies, and get clocks in the level to get more time to ward off the chasing enemy. Unlike other versions, characters can make a jump, and a double jump. This version of the game is set in a different realm in Skylands called the Radiant Isles, and a different force of darkness is faced under the command of Hektore. Unlike the console versions, the starter pack for the 3DS version comes with the Skylanders Ignitor, Stealth Elf, and Dark Spyro.

Activision announced a sequel, Skylanders: Giants, which was released in October 2012. A Web game called Skylanders: Universe was created as well but was discontinued on 29 April 2013. A second sequel in the Skylanders franchise has been announced titled: Skylanders: Swap Force.
On May 3, 2012, An illustrated novel titled: Skylanders: The Machine of Doom has been released on eBook applications, that is set as a canon prequel to the first Skylanders game. It was written by Cavan Scott under the pen name, "Onk Beakman". It was published by Grosset & Dunlap and released as Paperback on August 3, 2012 in the United Kingdom and on September 6, 2012 in North America.
A second illustrated novel titled: Skylanders: Spyro versus the Mega Monsters, will not only be a sequel, but it is to be the first of a Mask of Power series of the Skylanders novel brand franchise. It was released on January 10, 2013.
Activison had commented on the possibility of a Skylanders movie and TV series as something that they could see themselves looking into in the future. However on May 30, 2013, Activision confirmed that there aren't any plans for a Skylanders movie adaption nor a TV series, with Activision's vice president of the business unit adding that "the video game is the movie."[

List of Spyro games that have been on the Nintendo System.

Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly 2002 – Nintendo GameCube

Spyro: A Hero's Tail 2004 – Nintendo GameCube

Spyro: Shadow Legacy 2005 – Nintendo DS

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Legend of Spyro

The Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning 2006 – Nintendo GameCube,Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS

The Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night 2007 – Nintendo DS, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo Wii

The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon 2008 – Nintendo DS, Nintendo Wii

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Skylanders

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure 2011 – Nintendo Wii,DS

Skylanders: Giants 2012 – Nintendo Wii, Wii U , DS

Skylanders: Swap Force 2013 – Nintendo Wii U,

Spin-offs

Spyro: Season of Ice 2001 – Game Boy Advance

Spyro 2: Season of Flame 2002 – Game Boy Advance

Spyro: Attack of the Rhynocs 2003 – Game Boy Advance

Spyro Orange: The Cortex Conspiracy 2004 – Game Boy Advance

What do you guys think? Again i didin't see a spyro thread i looked before making this.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
He might have chance, but there were some games that were not released on any Nintendo console, and the only non-spin off game released specificly for a Nintendo console was Shadow Legacy for the DS. I don't know much about Metal Gear, but I believe Snake got in Brawl even though some games weren't released on Nintendo consoles.

Also, I'd personally not like to see the Skylanders version of Spyro in Smash 4. I don't like his design, and I liked the Legend of Spyro series much better than Skylanders overall.

Rosalina suporter

Smash Ace
I agree i like his classic version i posted his new version cause mabe if he was to get in they would probably use the Skylander model.The only spyro game iv ever played was the first one.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I agree i like his classic version i posted his new version cause mabe if he was to get in they would probably use the Skylander model.The only spyro game iv ever played was the first one.
The only one I ever played was The Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night. I have the first Skylanders, but I haven't played it yet.

yullow321

Smash Rookie
I would like to see spyro he could have a unique move set and he has a lot of characters in his universe that would be fun playable like

gaul who would have a whole enemy set for story mode. I find it unlikley but it would be fun.

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
Spyro The Dragon/Ripto's Rage/Year of the Dragon were great games and Spyro is almost an iconic character and would have a completely unique move set but he seriously wouldn't fit into the universe of Smash Bros and Crash Bandicoot would destroy the series.

If Spyro was somehow added to the series, they should use his Year of The Dragon appearance.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
This is just me but I really don't doubt/hope he's not in. It's not because I dislike him or anything because he's one of my favorite characters of all time (Ripto's Rage ftw :awesome: ). For some reason, the idea of him in Smash doesn't sit right with me. Plus, I dislike Skylanders design.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
It's been nearly a year since the last post in her, so I thought I'd get a bit necromantic with this thread:

[collapse=moveset:]
Speed: About Ivysaur speed walk, maybe a touch faster dash.
Air Speed: Peach-ish, can float aswell
Fall: Charizard-ish
Size: Just shorter than Mario, but given he's quadrepeal that's actually pretty damn big.
Weight: Ivysaur-ish
Reach: His wings allow him a few attacks with decent reach, and so do his flames.
Jumps: 4, can float after any jump but will only float for a short time, Kirby-ish height.

Jab - Swipes with his paws, short range. One, two then headbutt for knockback.

Dash- Bashes with his horns and launches upwards.

FTilt - Turns slightly and reaches out with an extende wing, mugh great reach, little knockback, decent hitstun, but end lag if you miss.
UTilt - Extends his wings above his head, similarly low knockback and stun/lag.
DTilt - Swings his tail out infront of him, safer than F-Tilt but doesn't lead into combos as well.

FSmash - Digs his front feet into the ground and pushes forwards with his horns.
USmash - Goes onto his hind legs, extending his body and swingings his horns overhead in an arc.
DSmash - Turns towards/away from camera and blasts air down and to each side with his wings. Really good range, but low damage.

NAir - Spins in the air at a diagonal, basically the same as Ivysaur.
FAir - Curls up to swing forawrds with his tail underneath him, meteor smash if sour spotted behind him.
BAir - Swings tail behind him, very quick and with float can be combod into itself.
UAir - Flaps upright then straightening out and extending horns upwards, upwards knockback but kinda slow and small hitbox.
DAir - Kicks underneath with his feet, multiple hits for damage, but low-ish knockback.

Grab - Lurches forwards and bear hugs the oponent, holding onto them to keep himself upright.

Pummel - Bites the target
UThrow - Catches the enemy between his horns and flings his head upwards and behind him.
FThrow - Shakes the oponent in his mouth to each side and then spits him out with a fireball.
BThrow - Stabs the enemy with his tail and swings it behind him with the enemy in tow.
DThrow - Launches into the air, kicking along the way, and Earth Pounds with the enemy in his mouth.

NB - Dragon's Fire (Spits out a fireball, can be charged to spit out up to three at angles... can cover a wide area with all five angles, but not all at once.)
SB - Charge (Charges forwards with his horns glowing, fast movement and upwards hitbox, but less control. Can jump out of charge but will retain hitbos for a few frames.)
UB - Spyro's Flight (More like Pit's power of flight than it's origins, will have wing trails akin to the old Spyro speedways.)
DB - Earth Pound (A ground pound move with a small shockwave, when used on the ground Spyro jumps upwards to perform it.)

Edge - Jumps up swinging his tail and he goes.
[/collapse]

The only Final Smash I could think of was a bunch of other Skylanders appearing and attacking, but not sure about that.

snakeguy86

Smash Cadet
I'm a huge Spyro fan.Spyro is a rare Purple Dragon who can control Magic and control the Elements:Fire, Earth, Ice, Electicity.Spyro also has several Physical Melee Attack combos he uses.He also uses a Horn Charge and Ground Slams with his Horns.For his Finishing Moves,he can Control Time for short periods to Attack many enemies,He also has a Dragon Fury attack.This allows him to Attack with Great Force once it gets built-up.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
It's not about the quality of the game, it's about what the game meant; if I honestly thought it was made to celebrate Playstation history, and not in an attempt to cash in, I would hold it in higher regards as it's totally playable, though sadly not enjoyable, and does have a few characters I like in it (though no jRPG characters despite being on the home of jRPGs...). But it wasn't. They didn't care about Playstation history or theyd've canned the project as soon as they got a no about Crash Bandicoot.

The game was mediocre, but not bad, but to be in that game would be shameful as it's in of itself a shameful blight on Playstation history.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
It's not about the quality of the game, it's about what the game meant; if I honestly thought it was made to celebrate Playstation history, and not in an attempt to cash in, I would hold it in higher regards as it's totally playable, though sadly not enjoyable, and does have a few characters I like in it (though no jRPG characters despite being on the home of jRPGs...). But it wasn't. They didn't care about Playstation history or theyd've canned the project as soon as they got a no about Crash Bandicoot.

The game was mediocre, but not bad, but to be in that game would be shameful as it's in of itself a shameful blight on Playstation history.
Square Enix and Activision didn't want to give their characters to them. (Although ATLUS was willing to let them use Teddie from Persona 4 and there's TWO perfectly good first party JRPG reps that should've been in. One of them almost got in as DLC. So i guess you can say that JRPG reps were still possible. Just not anyone from FF)
Kojima is the reason for Raiden.

The game was rushed out the door by the suits at Sony. Not much else to say besides that.

If Spyro and Crash were in there more people would've been fine with said game despite the choices made. It's one of those turn the other cheek deals.

Last edited:

snakeguy86

Smash Cadet
I thought SSB4 is Supposed to be an Awesome Game.
Spyro is a Icon Game Character.He has many Fans of his Games.

snakeguy86

Smash Cadet
I'm a huge Spyro fan.Spyro is a Purple Dragon who can control Magic and control the Elements:Fire, Earth, Ice, Electicity.
Spyro also has several Physical Melee Attack combos he uses.He also uses a Horn Charge and Ground Slams with his Horns.He can Control Time for short periods to Attack many enemies.
For his FINAL SMASH, Spyro has a Dragon Fury attack.This allows him to Attack with Great Force once it gets built-up.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I will always support Spyro.
He is an Awesome Iconic Character.
I thought SSB4 is Supposed to be an Awesome Game.
Spyro is a Icon Game Character.He has many Fans of his Games.
I'm a huge Spyro fan.Spyro is a Purple Dragon who can control Magic and control the Elements:Fire, Earth, Ice, Electicity.
Spyro also has several Physical Melee Attack combos he uses.He also uses a Horn Charge and Ground Slams with his Horns.He can Control Time for short periods to Attack many enemies.
For his FINAL SMASH, Spyro has a Dragon Fury attack.This allows him to Attack with Great Force once it gets built-up.
Just a future tip for Smashboards, double posting (and especially triple posting) is looked down upon, and you can get into trouble with a moderator for it.
If you forgot to say something, edit your last post instead of making a new one.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Just a future tip for Smashboards, double posting (and especially triple posting) is looked down upon, and you can get into trouble with a moderator for it.
If you forgot to say something, edit your last post instead of making a new one.
I wonder why the site doesn't just make it so it automatically merges the double post.
Like other forum sites...

Morbi

Scavenger
I wonder why the site doesn't just make it so it automatically merges the double post.
Like other forum sites...
I also wonder why we don't have the option to delete our own posts. Those are just mysteries that will never be solved.

As for the topic at hand, Nintendo is probably going to focus on their first party titles almost exclusively. So I don't see it happening.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Visiting support threads for characters, & i come across a video game character I loved as a kid since playing Spyro The Dragon for PS1. Pretty much was a loving die-hard fan for the few-of-a-kind purple dragon for every video game starring him 'till after finish playing TLoS: Dawn of the Dragon in 2008. After playing a Spyro game that where Spyro actually flys on his own!, I was content. Seeing Spyro in skylanders was borderline 50% hype but after getting more into it, Spyro in skylanders was dead to me:ohwell:. Still love all of his past games! I Support Spyro, but not skylander.

Edit: If it were Spyro TLoS art / concept, I'd give 110% support to Spyro for Sm4sh.

Last edited:

Prince17

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
Phaz#755
NNID
Legendlar
3DS FC
3840-7049-1098
It's TLoS design or a no-go from me. I absolutely hate his design in Skylanders and I have faith that if Spyro was chosen to be in Sm4sh then he would use his classic or TLoS design - my reason being is the same has been done for 2 other third party reps being Megaman and Pac-Man. I'd also love seeing the mockups of the final roster with Ridley's name over Spyro.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I remembered this a while ago but forgot to post about it. Spyro's de-confirmed from the removal of gliding:troll:. . .Just kidding Palutena's got a jump-glide:cool:. But seriously Spyro's games are practically 50% gliding, 20% running/hopping/charging, 10% walking, 10% gem collecting, & 10% doing challenges Averagely.
But seriously I really want Spyro to be a playable character. . .MAYBE we can get him DLC with all his elemental breath attacks & his Dark Spyro form from TLoS games. . .:cry:

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
Ok. Here is my opinion. Remember, its MY opinion. I believe classic Spyro would fit in Smash more then classic Crash even though Crash is more iconic. And here's why. My last opinion I stated in the Legendary Third Party Thread. But with more detail. Crash and Spyro would damage the Smash Bros atmosphere but they would blend in after awhile. Spyro 3 Year of The Dragon is a very colorful game. Spyro's stage example would be Sunrise Spring and it would honestly blend in with the rest of the stages as well as the stage's them. But a remix version would be better. The Rhynocs from Year of The Dragon are pretty interesting enemies and would fit perfectly in future Smash Runs with their cartoony personalities. And Spike would make an excellent boss.

As I looked at the classic Crash Bandicoot Trilogy, I honestly didn't see any levels/stages and themes fitting for Smash. The enemies are dull and the bosses would be out of place. Can you imagine a boss from the classic Crash Bandicoot series such as Dr. N Tropy or Dingodile? I just can't see it. And it makes more sense to use the bosses from the classic Crash and Spyro trilogy since their likely the most iconic compared to the newer Activision Crash and Spyro bosses or whatever. Also, something else I noticed. The classic Crash universe, besides Crash 3: Time Warped is bland and doesn't have the magic as the classic Spyro universe. Though Crash 3: Time Warped still doesn't have Smash fitting stages. And his Aku invincible Final Smash would be Wario Man all over again. No, I'm not being unfair to Crash. Spyro doesn't get away with it easily, even though Spyro is my favorite video game character. If Spyro is one day included in Smash, he needs to be in his Year of The Dragon incarnation and with only Year of The Dragon representation material.

With that said, I'm no longer neutral towards Crash being included in Smash.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Ok. Here is my opinion. Remember, its MY opinion. I believe classic Spyro would fit in Smash more then classic Crash even though Crash is more iconic. And here's why. My last opinion I stated in the Legendary Third Party Thread. But with more detail. Crash and Spyro would damage the Smash Bros atmosphere but they would blend in after awhile. Spyro 3 Year of The Dragon is a very colorful game. Spyro's stage example would be Sunrise Spring and it would honestly blend in with the rest of the stages as well as the stage's them. But a remix version would be better. The Rhynocs from Year of The Dragon are pretty interesting enemies and would fit perfectly in future Smash Runs with their cartoony personalities. And Spike would make an excellent boss.

As I looked at the classic Crash Bandicoot Trilogy, I honestly didn't see any levels/stages and themes fitting for Smash. The enemies are dull and the bosses would be out of place. Can you imagine a boss from the classic Crash Bandicoot series such as Dr. N Tropy or Dingodile? I just can't see it. And it makes more sense to use the bosses from the classic Crash and Spyro trilogy since their likely the most iconic compared to the newer Activision Crash and Spyro bosses or whatever. Also, something else I noticed. The classic Crash universe, besides Crash 3: Time Warped is bland and doesn't have the magic as the classic Spyro universe. Though Crash 3: Time Warped still doesn't have Smash fitting stages. And his Aku invincible Final Smash would be Wario Man all over again. No, I'm not being unfair to Crash. Spyro doesn't get away with it easily, even though Spyro is my favorite video game character. If Spyro is one day included in Smash, he needs to be in his Year of The Dragon incarnation and with only Year of The Dragon representation material.

With that said, I'm no longer neutral towards Crash being included in Smash.
I respect that opinion, I'd reply more about your post had I remembered more about the third release Year of the Dragon :c. I never played enough Crash games besides his first two games. . .& I was like 7 y.o so I have no memory of the game-play. I played Spyro the Dragon, Ripto's Rage, & Enter the Dragonfly. . .I skipped playing Year of the Dragon? Oh my gosh I feel horrible now.:ohwell:

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
I respect that opinion, I'd reply more about your post had I remembered more about the third release Year of the Dragon :c. I never played enough Crash games besides his first two games. . .& I was like 7 y.o so I have no memory of the game-play. I played Spyro the Dragon, Ripto's Rage, & Enter the Dragonfly. . .I skipped playing Year of the Dragon? Oh my gosh I feel horrible now.:ohwell:
I never played Ripto's Rage and I don't think I ever will since I don't like majority of the soundtrack. If you own a PS3, you can download Year of The Dragon from PSN or watch Year of The Dragon YouTube walkthroughs.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Reopening the Spyro thread due to the Ballot. Thank @ A10theHero A10theHero for bringing attention to it! Discuss away!

Last edited:

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Alright, guys! It looks like we've got some things to do!

As of right now, I cannot do anything about the OP, but until then, I will use this post as a general outline of some of the points I want to make about Spyro the Dragon:

Spyro has been a part of some important developments in video game history. Before his first game, open world games would conceal faraway locations in a level with fog or other methods. Spyro the Dragon introduced the concept of showing these places and having their polygon counts increase as the player nears them. Along with that, the enemy AI was also interactive during a time when most enemies had static/fixed processes. Also, Skylanders started the interactive toys revolution, which we can see has influenced Nintendo, as evident through the Pokemon Rumble U NFC figures and Amiibo.

In addition, Spyro is a recognizable character. The older audiences know about him from the original and Legend of Spryo series, and the younger kids know about him because of Skylanders. It would be really cool if they made his Smash design similar to his appearance in the original series, based the majority of his moveset on his attacks from The Legend of Spyro, and used his voice actor from the Skylanders series. In my opinion, this would be the most appealing way to include Spyro.

This is what I had in mind for his moveset:
In The Legend of Spyro, Spyro had access to melee combos and breath attacks. The majority of his aerials, tilts, smashes, and neutral attack could be based on these melee attacks. And if they decide to include a jab combo, they could use those games for reference for that as well!

B: He could breathe fire like what Charizard and Bowser do. Or it could be like the Daybringer Flame from Skylanders, which is just a fireball. I would prefer the latter just because it could work well with my idea for his customs.

B Customs: In The Legend of Spyro, Spyro's breath attacks included Fire, Electricity, Ice, and Earth. These could be made into customs, and they could be blasts that have different effects. The electricity breath could be similar to Zero Suit Samus's neutral special and paralyze (but have a shorter range to compensate). The ice breath could freeze like Mario and Luigi's ice balls. And the earth breath could have no additional effect and be able to travel farther than any of the other breaths. Since he can only have two of these other breaths, I would personally choose Electricity and Earth to be the alternates to his Fire breath.

Side B: This could be him charging forward/backward.

Side B Customs: They could make a heavy charge that's slower and more powerful. It could be based on Ibex's Wrath Charge from Skylanders. Then there could be a faster charge that's weaker.

Up B: In the Skylanders series and The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon, Spyro could fly. So he could flap his wings and fly upwards. If they want to stay true to the original Spyro, it could be more like Meta Knight's up special. Or, since sheep are an important part of the original and Skylanders series, he could do something like Sonic, but with sheep.

Up B Customs: He could have one that does a lot of damage but doesn't go that high and one that goes high but doesn't do any damage. For the more powerful version, maybe he could be on fire when he charges upward. And the weaker version could just be a floatier modification of his regular Up B.

Down B: I can see two different paths they can take with this one. He could have a counter where Spyro would shield himself with his wings and then strikes back. Or he could do something like Spyro's Earth Pound from Skylanders.

Down B Customs: If he has a counter, he could have one that stuns (like Lucario's Stunning Double Team) and one that's just a dodge and an attack (like Lucario's Glancing Counter). If he uses his Earth Pound, he could have a flaming Earth Pound like Series 2 Spyro and an Earth Pound that does no damage but pushes enemies away.

Final Smash: In The Legend of Spyro, Spyro has a fifth breath that's used pretty much exclusively against the final boss. It's called Convexity. They could do something with this, where he attacks multiple times using this powerful breath. They could even have Sparx play a role in this, maybe shooting at and stunning the opponent, giving Spyro the opportunity to attack.

The biggest obstacle that I can see for Spyro is his minimal presence in Japan. He's much more popular everywhere else. But I'm sure that the developers at Nintendo know about him because of Skylanders and the interactive toys that inspired their own line of such toys. Unfortunately, however, before Skylanders: Spyro Adventure, which released in Japan on the Wii, 3DS, Playstation 3, and Wii U in 2013, there was no new Spyro game there for almost 10 years. I can't find any sales data on that game in Japan, so I'm not sure how many people are aware of his existence there. But then again, not that many people knew who Marth and Roy were when they first appeared in Melee. And it turned out fine for them. Perhaps doing the same with Spyro wouldn't be that big of a problem. Other than that issue, I don't think that there's anything else that's really a hindrance for Spyro the Dragon being in Smash.

Of course, it's still important to mention that because Spyro is a 3rd party character, he may be at a disadvantage compared to other potential choices, such as King K. Rool. We don't know to what extent the extra effort for securing a 3rd party character will affect Nintendo's decision when choosing a character, but the costs must be in their mind. Nevertheless, they never said that it was impossible for a 3rd party character to make it into Smash, so Spyro the Dragon still has a chance!

Edit: Updating this post with more information

Some people have argued that Spyro is no longer relevant in Skylanders, citing that his name is not in the title and he no longer plays a significant role in the advertisements of later games. It's even true that a member of Toys for Bob stated that they want all Skylanders to be treated equally. However, much evidence from the series suggests otherwise. Spyro the Dragon has many distinctions in the series that still make him important, popular, and recognizable.
Here is a list of such evidence:
1: He is the leader of the modern Skylanders.
2: He has the most figurines out of all the Skylanders (Series 1, Dark, Legendary, Series 2, Series 3, Series 3 Dark, Mini*, Elite).
3: One of the Skylanders, Trigger Happy, uses gold coins as bullets, and they used to have Spyro on them.
4: There is a form of currency (a floaty) you can pick up that resembles Spyro.
5: In the game, there are collectible hats which you can equip to your Skylanders. One of them (the Trucker Hat) has Spyro on it.
6: In the 3DS version of Swap Force, there is a statue of Master Eon with Spyro next to him.
7: Spyro is the most recurring Skylander in the novels.

Last edited:

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
Well, that OP title leaves a little to be desired, doesn't it?
Anyway, I came up with a more detailed moveset for Spyro, which I posted to Reddit a couple of days ago. I wanted to put major focus on his ability to switch between the four elements, which gives him a unique power in the Smash universe.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Well, that OP title leaves a little to be desired, doesn't it?
Anyway, I came up with a more detailed moveset for Spyro, which I posted to Reddit a couple of days ago. I wanted to put major focus on his ability to switch between the four elements, which gives him a unique power in the Smash universe.
Yeah, but I can't say for sure which design they'll use. It's likely that if Activision allows Nintendo to use Spyro, they'll want them to use his latest design. But in Smash Bros, they usually factor in the character's history, so they might still use the older design. So yeah, the title needs to reflect that, but there is a chance that we might still be getting Skylanders Spyro if he gets in.
That's really cool! I just thought that his breath attacks could be different customs, but I like what you did too. :)

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
Just so you guys know, I've been making a bunch of Spyro the Dragon images. You can find them all here: http://spyro4dlc.edublogs.org/images/ Right now, there are a bunch of avatars and splash art, but I've been working on signatures most recently. I'll add them as soon as I finish them! :)
I'm gonna take that signature, if you don't mind.
Anyway, here's a little changelog to that theoretical moveset I posted on reddit a while back.

• Spyro's Forward air was used to throw Elemental Bombs. This is obviously completely unintuitive, since it prevents Spyro from using the bombs on the ground. Therefore, Spyro's Bombs are now assigned to Neutral Special. Swapping Elements has been moved to Down Special, and the Horn Dive is now Spyro's down air.
  • The Wing Shield has been removed entirely, since it was only used in one game where it was entirely ineffective outside of one level.
  • Spyro's new Forward Air is the finisher to his aerial combos in the Legend series: a frontflip with a meteor sweetspot.
  • Swapping elements is now instantaneous for the default and first custom Down Special. The second custom, Instant Swap, is replaced with Explosive Swap. A weak blast is released when Spyro switches elements, but he cannot use this move quickly in succession.
  • Since the Elemental Bombs are now specials, they have two custom variants. The first is Elemental Pellets: they can be fired much faster, but are weaker and smaller to compensate. The second is Crazy Bomb: these bombs have different, unconventional arcs:
    • Crazy Fire Bombs have a sort of wave pattern.
    • Crazy Earth Bombs follow a high arc, but upon reaching the apex they will quickly plummet straight downwards.
    • Crazy Ice Bombs fall very slowly, but alternate floating left and right very quickly, like snowflakes.
    • Crazy Electric Bombs are slow at first, but very quickly gain horizontal speed.
  • I still haven't conclusively solved the grab problem. One redditor suggested using his biting moves from Dawn of the Dragon, but I'm worried that might come off as a bit too savage in comparison to the rest of his moves. I was thinking perhaps Spyro could pounce on them like a lion and pummel with his horns. This isn't a perfect solution, as it would lead to difficulty designing his throws, but perhaps you might be able to help?

Top Bottom