• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spin Cancel Ledge Guard

This thing is kinda useful against falco and fox in some situations where you want to cover their side B onto the ledge but I've had a hard time find uses for it otherwise. Looks cool though and people that doesn't know Link will gasp in amazement and might brainlag a little if you do it. But really only useful vs fox/falco IMO(which is half of every match you play as a link main, lol).

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
could be useful against a falcon recoverying that's going to land on the stage near the ledge, same for gannon. This would be good versus spacies as well. Probably a good option for link when they are recovering with up B from below the ledge. Esp vs fox

StickandFluid

Smash Apprentice
i've seen this before, i saw it in some link combo video from like 2008, as a link semi main i have never found myself using it, it's not as reliable as other things link can do, it's honestly just really badass ledge guarding someone with this. If you became really quick and implimented it correctly into the way you play link it could be pretty off putting for the other player (in a good way lol)

could be useful against a falcon recoverying that's going to land on the stage near the ledge, same for gannon. This would be good versus spacies as well. Probably a good option for link when they are recovering with up B from below the ledge. Esp vs fox
I have to say we got better options in all the situations mentioned. If ganon/CF is recovering from below a well timed ftilt hits lower, is easier to pull off and is safer than a run-off UpB. if fox recovers from below you either want to run-off nair him or run-off bair or ledge-drop bair him or a maybe a well timed ftilt will be enough. But I like your thinking. Experiment with it, you will find it really satisfying to use. :D

Ive found an intresting use of this. When on stage and just at the edge(from being tech chased or the like) when the opponent is running at you, if they sheild you will push yourself off and get nice sheild pressure while falling towards the ledge, really nice and makes the UpB a tad safer in that situation.

RvlvRBobcat

Smash Apprentice
I did this against a marth while he midair jumped off stage to down-b. I did this and triggered the counter, but I fell to the ledge and the counter didn't hit me. The lag made him fall to his death.

Mr.C

Smash Master
Have been using this since around 04-05, around the same time I figured out moonwalking. Can be used to quickly edge-guard while facing forward; in rare occasions it will briefly hit someone you're edge-guarding, allowing a bair/nair. Also, this can be used on platforms to drop-down edge-guard on stages like Yoshi's/BF/DL64, etc. Young Link, Sheik, Link, Bowser, and I believe Zelda if I remember correctly are all capable of using this technique.

SYickX

Smash Cadet
There is another application of Spin Cancel. Though I usually use it to get the ledge faster, it can be used offensively while onstage. (Also, moonspinning off a platform to grab the ledge looks super cool.)

Just running off and using it to nip away at pressure can be useful in tight situations. The stage-side hitboxes are about as long as the Master Sword, so they give you a good shot at some damage and similar follow ups to a shield poke.

I've only just started seeing this particular side of UpB, so my analysis is crude and naive at best.
...but hey, it looked really cool against M2K's Marth.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Yea, this is useful for when you need the ledge really really fast and don't have time to turn around, or you could just do it all the time if you wanted to.

Top Bottom