• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sparkle! Mewtwo's neutral air vs different projectiles

Smo

Smash Journeyman
One of the first things I noticed with Mewtwo's neutral air is that it cuts through some projectiles. This could turn out to be extremely useful as the move last a long time and has low lag, leading to potential applications such as a guaranteeing a safe landing vs projectile spam characters (say when falling through a platform).

The other awesome thing about it is that Mewtwo has great horizontal distance and speed in the air. This means you can often reclaim the advantage against a projectile spam character by diving straight through their projectile with Nair and catching them with the last few hits of the sparkle during the end-lag of the projectile animation.

The only question that remains is ‘which projectiles can I safely sparkle through?’

Well, this morning I went on slow motion mode, controlled the other character with my feet, and tested them all out. Here we go:

Mario Fireball —Yes
Luigi Fireball — Yes
Peach Turnip — Yes
Bowser Fire — Yes
Yoshi Egg — No
Diddy King Popgun — Yes
Wolf Blaster — Yes
Falco laser — No :(
Ice Climbers Ice block — No
Zelda Din’s Fire — Yes
Sheik Needles — No
Link/TL Bow — Yes
Link/TL Boomerang — Yes
Link/TL Bomb — Deflects
Mewtwo sphere — Yes/No (depends on charge)
Lucario Sphere — Yes
Lucario Bomb — No
Pikachu Spark — Yes
Pikachu Thunder — No
Squirtle Water gun — Yes but pushes back
Ivysaur Razor Leaf — Yes
Charizard Fire — Yes
Samus Charge — Yes/No (depends on charge)
Samus Homing Missile — Yes
Samus Super Missile — No
Samus Bomb — No
Zero Suit Stun gun — No
Lucas Ice — Yes
Lucas Thunder — Yes
Ness Thunder — Yes
Ness Fire — No
Pit Arrow — Yes
Kirby Cutter — No
DDD Waddledee — Yes
Olimar Pikmin — Yes
ROB Laser — No
ROB Gyro — No
Mr Game & Watch Food — Yes
Snake Grenade — No

Snake Tranq — No

Hope this is of some use to someone. Some of these projectiles are so fast you will be relying on reads to successfully sparkle through them. Also note that it seems if you land while there is still a sparkle hitbox around, you can clank with some of these projectiles, even ones which usually go through Nair.

Smo

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, I meant Water Gun. And it might not turn out to be useful, but I'm pretty such this will apply to most aerials vs projectiles, so it will be useful for some characters like Marth (just don't tell the Marth players, yeah?)

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Except this list isn't accurate for marth. Marth could swat away anything that isn't transcendant, doesn't explode, and doesn't exceed fair by 8 damage. MewTwo's nair works for less given it's a multihit move with bad priority. I wouldn't be surprised to see some of these on this list get zapped away some times and break through nair other times. Multi-hit moves are very unreliably for trying to beat out other moves, including projectiles.

Smo

Smash Journeyman
Except this list isn't accurate for marth. Marth could swat away anything that isn't transcendant, doesn't explode, and doesn't exceed fair by 8 damage. MewTwo's nair works for less given it's a multihit move with bad priority. I wouldn't be surprised to see some of these on this list get zapped away some times and break through nair other times. Multi-hit moves are very unreliably for trying to beat out other moves, including projectiles.

Well, I did multiple trials for each one, so on the average, this list is accurate.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Mewtwo's Nair hitboxes are arranged as the corners of a square -- the two upper hitboxes are repeating 2 DMG, the lower two are repeating 1 DMG (DMG / KB ported from Melee, slightly larger size).

Depending upon whether you hit with the top or bottom you'll clank slightly differently.

xXSciophobiaXx

Smash Apprentice
Square or Rectangle? Can you give a rough idea of where the hitboxes of the nair are relative to mewtwo's body? Does this mean technically speaking if you want to give mewtwo the best opportunity to hit with his nair rather than trade with an opponents attacks you should approach from a diagonal? giving your nair the maximum reach while keeping your hurt boxes as far away as possible?

Top Bottom