• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Southwestern Justice - November 23rd, 2013 - Tempe, AZ

goateeguy

Smash Ace
This will take place in Cottonwood 101/103 in Barrett, the Honors College at the ASU Tempe campus. Be sure to get someone's phone number prior to the event (PM me for my number if necessary) so you'll know where to go and be able to get in the gate (you need school IDs to get in, though if you see some stranger going in they'll almost always just let you in).

Noon: Friendlies start
12:30: Registration for Melee, PM, and Brawl Doubles opens
1:00: Melee, PM, and Brawl Doubles starts
3:00: Singles Registration starts
4:00: Melee PM and Brawl Singles starts
10:00: Venue closes

****Be sure to check in with a TO if you’re going to leave to get food. We have a lot of events to get through, so we absolutely cannot tolerate people holding up the bracket.

Rules:
Items off, 4 stock, 8 minute time limit. In the event of a time-out, the player with the most stocks wins. If stocks are even, the player with the least percent wins. In the event of a percentage tie, Sudden Death is played out to determine the winner.

Neutral Stages: Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams, Final Destination, Dream Land, Battlefield

Counterpick Only: Pokemon Stadium

Players select their characters (Double Blind if called for) then ban Neutral stages 1-2-1 to choose the first stage played on. After game one, winner gets one ban and the loser picks stage. Then Winner picks character, then loser picks character, then they play game 2. Repeat as necessary.

Sets are best of 3 until finals at which point they become best of 5

Wobbling is legal

IMPORTANT: This event is part of an ASU sanctioned organization, the ASU Esports Association, and it takes place on campus at ASU. This is a dry campus, and smoking is not allowed anywhere on campus. Any substances which are forbidden by the University and/or by law will NOT be tolerated, and anyone found to be in possession of them will not be allowed to participate until these substances are removed from the campus. Refusal to cooperate will result in an immediate ban from the tournament without a refund of any entry fees paid.

***There will be a 5$ buy-in for all events, part of which will go to the ASU Esports Association of which the ASU club is a division (they are the reason we are able to reserve this room) and the rest of which will be the prize pot.***

Here's the roundabout mission statement/origin story for this tournament:I was talking to Tai a little while ago about the AZ power rankings, which, up until very recently, had not been revisited in 2 years: http://smashboards.com/threads/arizona-melee-power-rankings-social-thread-updated-10-20-11.54828/ . His opinion was that so little would change, were we to redo them, that we didn't need to change them. My opinion was that any change whatsoever ought to be reflected, and that a regularly updated PR encourages activity in the community. I also feel that we might benefit from listing 15 players rather than only 10, since the top end of the list does not fluctuate nearly as much as the bottom end.

Despite our differences of opinion, we both agreed that, if we were to redo the power rankings on any regular basis, we would need a relatively large, recent pool of state tournament data on which to base our decisions. Tournaments with multiple regions of Arizona represented have not been happening very regularly. Hopefully we can change that.

I understand that travel to Phoenix is troublesome for a lot of people, and if we were to only hold tournaments in Phoenix it would skew rankings in favor of Phoenix players. What would be really cool is if someone in Tucson could hold sister tournaments to the ones we have in Phoenix which would be more accessible for Tucson, Sierra Vista, and other places.

We've got streamers, we've got plenty of interested veterans and new players alike (I meet new people at every ASU smashfest these days). Let's hold bigger tournaments more often. If we find as a community that the power rankings don't need to be changed as often, so be it. But let's start producing data so that we can change them at whatever future date we need to.

ZotR

Smash Rookie
I just moved to Tucson from NC a month ago and am already really missing the smash scene but since I don't know anyone out here I don't have anyone to play with. Right now I'm waiting to start working and getting my family settled. I haven't hosted a tournament but I would like to talk to someone who is interested in getting some thing like what you mentioned in your post set up. Honestly with smash boards being down here lately I haven't been able to find out much about the AZ smash scene so I'm thrilled just to see that people play here.

Edit- I just found the Facebook group and realized that there more Tucson people than I expected so, it would probably be best for someone more experienced to host the tournament. Though if no one wants to, I'd still be willing to give it a shot.

hogmanners

Smash Rookie
Just watched the doc and now feel like my body is ready to get destroyed by true gamer jocks. Stuff me in a locker w/ far superior matchups of which I could never dream.

lbblur

Smash Rookie
I'll bring friends too if thats ok but I need a number so someone can guide me in there

Top Bottom