• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Source Gaming Presents: Smash 4 Project Proposal Transcripts

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Ever wonder what the original presentation for a Smash game might look like? Interested to see some things that were originally proposed for Smash 4 but may not have made it into the final game? Source Gaming has it covered! They have worked to release English translations of the original PowerPoint Project Proposal for Smash 4 and there is some great information inside.

---​

"In line with the previous post, the following images are a portion of Sakurai’s book containing slides from his original PowerPoint Project Proposal for Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/WiiU. The translations were completed by Masked Man with some assistance from PushDustIn. The details of any content that didn’t make the final game are listed on the post earlier today “Additional Cut/ Dropped Content in Smash for 3DS/Wii U“, but for the sake of our readers we wanted to provide the slides in English, as well! Hope you enjoy."

---​

To see those slides and support these translation effort be sure to check out the original article on Source Gaming. Let us know what parts piqued the interest in the comments below. Here's looking forward to more wonderful translations from Source Gaming in the future!

SmashCapps fins all of these translations to be incredibly fascinating. To share in his intrigue and keep up with his writing follow him on Twitter.

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
Interesting that we're finding out about this so late away from the release of the game...who knows what else we'll find out in the future!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Lol, Chrom wasn't even considered.
Maybe he was initially planned before the final game's roster was announced (in the date mentioned there) and that was what the leaker went by? Just a theory.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
At least this will finally nip in the bud those accusations of Rosalina being a "cash-in 3D World promotion", since she was planned way before 3D World was out.

Funny how it calls her a "princess" though. Was that a mistake on Sakurai's part, or something added by the translators?

It's also interesting how he says she is "Maybe?" from another planet. She is, but it's funny that even Sakurai is as uncertain about her background as many fans are.

Last edited:

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Hey, I made these images! Thanks for sharing them SmashCapps!

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Maybe he was initially planned before the final game's roster was announced (in the date mentioned there) and that was what the leaker went by? Just a theory.
This was the proposal for the game. Aka, the absolute beginnings of what Sakurai showed to Nintendo. There wasn't anything earlier to leak.

Let it go at this point, man. It doesn't make sense to cling to it when Word of God has disproven it.

(This isn't meant to attack you. It's jarring to me that people still defend Gematsu.)

Last edited:

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
I may be missing something...but where in the article does it mention Chrom?

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
I may be missing something...but where in the article does it mention Chrom?
It doesn't. That's the point. Gematsu believers thought that Chrom was originally plannes as the new FE rep, but they decided on Robin later. However, this shows that Robin was always planned, with no sign that Chrom was.

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
It doesn't. That's the point. Gematsu believers thought that Chrom was originally plannes as the new FE rep, but they decided on Robin later. However, this shows that Robin was always planned, with no sign that Chrom was.
Oh, I see. I don't think this debunks Gematsu as a whole, but yeah it certainly does debunk the early theories people made when there weren't enough information as we have now.

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
"Rosalina may be unable to attack until Luma finishes"
I wonder why this was decided against?

Dokokashira

Smash Journeyman
I'm interested to see the slides (if any) where they propose Villager and Wii Fit Trainer. Good work on these!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
"Rosalina may be unable to attack until Luma finishes"
I wonder why this was decided against?
Because it would be extremely boring and would actually contradict the "puppet fighter" thing he was evidently going for.

EDIT: I like how Palutena wasn't even mentioned here. Kinda goes to show Sakurai isn't as biased as people think he is.

Last edited:

Blazin'

Smash Cadet
NNID
Blazin_Raisins
3DS FC
5429-7955-3271
Apparently Sakurai was thinking about putting Chrom in the game (possibly before the proposal presentation), but scrapped because he'd be "another dull swordsman."

D

Deleted member

Pretty interesting how Robin and Duck Hunt were planned before the game was even made.
I just kinda question how the Gematsu leak was even born.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Pretty interesting how Robin and Duck Hunt were planned before the game was even made.
I just kinda question how the Gematsu leak was even born.
Someone posted a quick list that got lucky and decided to roll with it going forward.

Blazin'

Smash Cadet
NNID
Blazin_Raisins
3DS FC
5429-7955-3271
I'd actually like to see more information on Dark Pit, and why it was decided so late on that Pit's moveset didn't really fit him. I feel like his moveset could be somewhat more diverse, making him a semi-clone or something of the sort. I also kind of wonder what made them decide that Lucina was different enough from Marth that she had to be her own character.

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
I'd actually like to see more information on Dark Pit, and why it was decided so late on that Pit's moveset didn't really fit him. I feel like his moveset could be somewhat more diverse, making him a semi-clone or something of the sort. I also kind of wonder what made them decide that Lucina was different enough from Marth that she had to be her own character.
Sakurai has talked about it before. Apparently they were intended to be alternate costumes but then he was like ehhhhhh why the heck not and added them in as characters. I still don't understand why electroshock arm and arrows and ftilt are the only notable differences. At least do the Lucina thing and maybe give him sweetspots but I guess it was too late in development.

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383
This is all really interesting.

Rosalina, Robin, and Duck Hunt were decided from the very beginning, which is nice.

Most of the features in the game were planned and some of them altered. I'm glad all Mii Fighter customs were default in the final version, but co-op Smash Run sounds like a nice idea.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
“I played all the way through FE:A and really wanted to include a character from that rich cast in Smash Bros. Naturally, I considered adding Chrom to the roster, but the decision wasn’t easy by any means."

I suppose it happened around doing the roster, while the proposal has it finalized by the ideas shown.

Mostly what is mistook here is that Chrom was "in development" before scrapped for Robin, when it's clearly shown that the roster was done before the project's start, where the choosing of Awakening-rep took place.

But TBH, I bet what you said will always sound much fun to ride on in salt and toxic mindset of this fandom than the real words Sakurai said regarding this subject.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Gematsu deniers are just as bad as, if not worse than, Gematsu "defenders" IMO.

Sakurai outright said that he considered Chrom. The leak likely came from a pre-planning document. In other words, the draft for the proposal. This was the final draft. I still stand by the fact that there was too many things correct in it to be considered a coincidence (Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, outright naming the Miis as "Mii Fighters", etc). This would easily explain Greninja's situation as well.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Gematsu deniers are just as bad as, if not worse than, Gematsu "defenders" IMO.

Sakurai outright said that he considered Chrom. The leak likely came from a pre-planning document. In other words, the draft for the proposal. This was the final draft. I still stand by the fact that there was too many things correct in it to be considered a coincidence (Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, outright naming the Miis as "Mii Fighters", etc). This would easily explain Greninja's situation as well.
Sakurai said he considered Chrom, but he didn't say it was anything official.

For all we know, his "consideration" was a three second process of "maybe I'll put Chrom in the game....eh, maybe not" while eating lunch one day.

Gematsu was fake as hell, it had way too many holes and got way too much wrong. This presentation further proves it, as Rosalina and Robin are both characters the leak missed, despite being among the first officially presented as intended additions.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
He did talk about Chrom before but it was scrapped because he couldn't think of away to make it unique, unlike Robin who very much is.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

For all we know, his "consideration" was a three second process of "maybe I'll put Chrom in the game....eh, maybe not" while eating lunch one day.

Gematsu was fake as hell, it had way too many holes and got way too much wrong. This presentation further proves it, as Rosalina and Robin are both characters the leak missed, despite being among the first officially presented as intended additions.
Absence of information =/= denying that information exists. It never claimed to have all characters present. This presentation proves nothing, especially if the leaked list is from the pre-planning stage. So no, it was not "fake as hell." Mii Fighters, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager (at a time when literally everyone thought him impossible), and getting all but Chrom and Chorus Kids right (of which, one was considered and one likely met the same fate as the Ice Climbers) make it REALLY hard to believe it was all made up.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

“I played all the way through FE:A and really wanted to include a character from that rich cast in Smash Bros. Naturally, I considered adding Chrom to the roster, but the decision wasn’t easy by any means."

That last part's quite new to me, actually.

Since plenty completely forgot that the article existed since last year though:

http://mynintendonews.com/2014/07/1...ros-says-he-lacks-any-unique-characteristics/

This is to not prove that Gematsu was real though - it's more of preventing people from thinking that Sakurai went straight to Robin without any thought or effort put to it through possibly choosing what was there first and playing through Awakening while at it.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Absence of information =/= denying that information exists. It never claimed to have all characters present. This presentation proves nothing, especially if the leaked list is from the pre-planning stage. So no, it was not "fake as hell." Mii Fighters, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager (at a time when literally everyone thought him impossible), and getting all but Chrom and Chorus Kids right (of which, one was considered and one likely met the same fate as the Ice Climbers) make it REALLY hard to believe it was all made up.
Most of the Gematsu leaks guesses were extremely likely additions anyway that most people were already fake leaking beforehand.

I really don't see why so many people latch onto it. It got stuff right, but it missed lots of other things and got stuff flat out wrong. A few lucky guesses =/= proof.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Most of the Gematsu leaks guesses were extremely likely additions anyway that most people were already fake leaking beforehand.

I really don't see why so many people latch onto it. It got stuff right, but it missed lots of other things and got stuff flat out wrong. A few lucky guesses =/= proof.
You don't guess Wii Fit Trainer or the name Mii Fighters. You just don't. And there were a lot of other guys viewed as "extremely likely" also weren't on there. No DK character. No Ridley. No Takamaru. The two things it got wrong were justified. One was considered, one was likely too resource intensive. Missing info doesn't matter since it never claimed to be the complete list. Greninja being listed as "Gen VI Pokemon" adds to the fact that it was a pre-planning list: part of a draft for the proposal.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You don't guess Wii Fit Trainer or the name Mii Fighters. You just don't. And there were a lot of other guys viewed as "extremely likely" also weren't on there. No DK character. No Ridley. No Takamaru. The two things it got wrong were justified. One was considered, one was likely too resource intensive. Missing info doesn't matter since it never claimed to be the complete list. Greninja being listed as "Gen VI Pokemon" adds to the fact that it was a pre-planning list: part of a draft for the proposal.
And why "don't" you guess them? You do realise Wii Fit is one of the most important games in the Wii's history, right?

And name dropping Mii Fighters isn't that hard. It's a generic name. If he accurately had given each class name from either the Japanese or localised version, I'd agree, but "Fighter" is a generic term. Sakurai refers to every playable character as a "fighter", so it's a very literally description of what a playable Mii entails. The name was suggested a lot on message boards supporting Miis.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
And why "don't" you guess them? You do realise Wii Fit is one of the most important games in the Wii's history, right?

And name dropping Mii Fighters isn't that hard. It's a generic name. If he accurately had given each class name from either the Japanese or localised version, I'd agree, but "Fighter" is a generic term. Sakurai refers to every playable character as a "fighter", so it's a very literally description of what a playable Mii entails. The name was suggested a lot on message boards supporting Miis.
Source for "Mii Fighter" SPECIFICALLY being guessed a lot?

And you don't guess Wii Fit Trainer. I see you joined after her reveal, but realize hindsight is 20/20. Literally the only time a Wii Fit character was brought up at all during speculation was as a joke on one random thread on GameFaqs immediately after Wii Fit's release. That was the only time. Sakurai even said that "no one guessed her" at E3 2013. Wii Fit's sales didn't matter at all. If it wasn't a fighter or a named character at least, people saw it as a no-chance situation, especially after what Sakurai said about the Villager during the Brawl era.

If it'd been a ruse, the thing would have just said Mii. Just Mii. Singular. But instead it went into a specific name, and used a plural to specify it as more than one.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Source for "Mii Fighter" SPECIFICALLY being guessed a lot?

And you don't guess Wii Fit Trainer. I see you joined after her reveal, but realize hindsight is 20/20. Literally the only time a Wii Fit character was brought up at all during speculation was as a joke on one random thread on GameFaqs immediately after Wii Fit's release. That was the only time. Sakurai even said that "no one guessed her" at E3 2013. Wii Fit's sales didn't matter at all. If it wasn't a fighter or a named character at least, people saw it as a no-chance situation, especially after what Sakurai said about the Villager during the Brawl era.

If it'd been a ruse, the thing would have just said Mii. Just Mii. Singular. But instead it went into a specific name, and used a plural to specify it as more than one.
As I said, it was something people casually called them on occasion, because that's what Smash characters are called. A Mii Smash character would naturally be a "Mii Fighter".

And what does my Smashboards join date have to do with anything? If you must know, I lurked the site for quite some time before then, and while the site's slogan has the ego to suggest otherwise, the entire Smash community does not have an account on Smashboards.

The small speculation community on Smashboards means nothing. They are not an authority on anything. Just because nobody on this site had the sense to realise why an addition from Wii Fit could happen at the time, does not mean nobody did. And let's assume nobody did - what proves Sal Romano wasn't the first person to simply predict it, speculate it, etc (and he wasn't btw)?

I will not believe this leak until I see objective evidence, like an insider photo of Sakurai's desk with the documents sitting there. A few lucky guesses and the ego of the cancerous speculation community is not enough.

Last edited:

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
Mii fighters were not that hard to guess. That was something that I called years back as well. Besides Wii Fit Trainer, all the other characters were just logical guesses, and some weren't even right.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Mii fighters were not that hard to guess. That was something that I called years back as well. Besides Wii Fit Trainer, all the other characters were just logical guesses, and some weren't even right.
I'm not questioning Miis themselves. It's the fact that they were specifically listed as Mii FIGHTERS. Which is entirely unique to Smash and was never a common name.

And I'd add Villager to that. He was by no means a logical guess after what Sakurai said during Brawl. Everyone did think he should have been, but figured Sakurai had been set in his opinion of him.
As I said, it was something people casually called them on occasion, because that's what Smash characters are called. A Mii Smash character would naturally be a "Mii Fighter".

And what does my Smashboards join date have to do with anything? If you must know, I lurked the site for quite some time before then, and while the site's slogan has the ego to suggest otherwise, the entire Smash community does not have an account on Smashboards.

The small speculation community on Smashboards means nothing. They are not an authority on anything. Just because nobody on this site had the sense to realise why an addition from Wii Fit could happen at the time, does not mean nobody did. And let's assume nobody did - what proves Sal Romano wasn't the first person to simply predict it, speculate it, etc (and he wasn't btw)?

I will not believe this leak until I see objective evidence, like an insider photo of Sakurai's desk with the documents sitting there. A few lucky guesses and the ego of the cancerous speculation community is not enough.
And I'll reiterate that I've never seen someone specifically address them as Mii Fighters. Do you have anywhere that shows someone calling them that prior to their reveal? A Mii in Smash would naturally be called a Mii, their name. Just like every other character on the roster. Mii Fighter is something that came about with their Smash reveal. Not prior, except for the leak.

I'm supposed to know how often you lurked prior to joining? And I never said this was the entire community. Look elsewhere on the Internet as well, and still no one guessed the Wii Fit Trainer. Even look at the reactions on Miiverse. As painful as it sounds when I say that, they do represent the common, non-speculative community pretty well, or at least the younger part. No one guessed it. Wii Fit being important didn't matter. For one, people considered it just another game in the Wii series, which would get a character in the form of the Mii. That was the consensus not just here, but everywhere, enough so that even Wikipedia recognizes the Wii "series" of games. The Trainer was literally never guessed outside of a throwaway joke in 2008.

And way to throw the word "cancerous" around like it's trivial, by the way. I see you're getting angry about this, so I'll drop it. Wouldn't want this to derail.

Top Bottom