• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SOS Gamers Youth Smash League

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

S.O.S. Gamers is currently running an Indiegogo campaign to try and raise five thousands dollars for a cool and unique cause. Their goal is to develop a video game league for underprivileged youth in New York City splitting the league activities between Super Smash Bros. tournaments and team building workshops with the hopes of keeping youth away from factors that may put them at risk, while teaching them basic life skills.

Right now they are gearing up to run a 3 month pilot out of their local YMCA center and need the five thousand dollars to help cover the cost of equipment, fees, prizes, and uniforms for the participants. The president and vice president of S.O.S. Games, Kubuu and Wes respectively, have made a short video to encourage people to donate to the cause.

For any readers wanting to learn more about S.O.S. Gamers you can find them on Facebook as well as on their website. To help the cause be sure to go to their Indiegogo campaign to donate and share it on social media.

SmashCapps wishes them the best of luck in their campaign. If you wanna keep up with what SmashCapps is up to, be sure to go follow him on Twitter.

PumpkinSpice

Smash Rookie
I hope everything goes well! Good luck. As a future educator I plan to help start clubs like these at schools where I teach :D

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
This is a great way to get more of the younger competitive players up and running while keeping them out of trouble, I just hope more regions start doing this.

Last edited:

busken

Smash Ace
I wish it was tri-state area. The smash scene in philly is really low.

Remobit

Smash Cadet
They're using their popularity in the smash community to influence us to donate for a great cause. They're not just fighting for their friends, their fighting for the world and ts future.

busken

Smash Ace
"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

In other words, if you'd like to see this happen in your home town, make it happen in your home town too!
Most of us are students, and simply don't have the time...talk less the money.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Most of us are students, and simply don't have the time...talk less the money.
You know, I think anyone with just a little time and almost no funds could manage a free place for people to at least come together to pay Smash. I need to write a guide for starting a simple scene with limited time and funds... Thanks for some inspiration too :D

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
You know, I think anyone with just a little time and almost no funds could manage a free place for people to at least come together to pay Smash. I need to write a guide for starting a simple scene with limited time and funds... Thanks for some inspiration too :D
Not necessarily. I have no money, spend most of my time in school, and most of my free time goes into a single long-running school project. I live about 40 minutes away from my school and about 20 minutes away from the nearest town. A lot of the people I smash with live at least an hour away and the only means of transportation I have is a $1 bus fare (I have no money). If you have any suggestions I'll be glad to hear them, because I'd love to have somewhere where I've always got smashers to play.

Also I think you meant to say play smash, not pay smash.

GdspdUblkprzdnt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GdspdUblkprzdnt
Where there's a will there's a way. The smash community is grassroots at the heart. The money they're asking for is hardly much by amy means for that sort of thing. There's a million ways to fund raise and for these sort of cumminity endeavors there are public resources available.

I love this idea and hope it spreads.

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
Melee is so timeless that it will now have youth leagues just like other sports. I remember that people said this would happen. :-)

dude it's raining

Smash Journeyman
No Johns for life is such a good thing.
Like, I used to be like 'I suck at the Sheik ditto' or 'I suck at neutral'.
But now I'm able to view my options and work through stuff.
And then in life, whereas I used to be like 'I suck at conversing' or 'I suck at school', now I'm like 'what options do I have, let's go'.

Top Bottom