• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Power Rankings (October 28, 2007)- Will the update ever happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
SOCAL POWER RANKINGS
Updated - (September 24, 2006/ November 6, 2006), January 27, 2007, March 7 2007, May 31 2007, October 28 2007.

PANELISTS | Arash - Champ - HugS - Nealdt - EdreesesPieces

So... the talk of a Socal Ranking project has been in the air for a very long while, and eventually it was left to gather virtual dust. Fortunately, a group decided to step it up and provide an up-to-date ranking system, where people could refer to and get a general idea of who stands where in this sprawling community of Smashers. It also aims to stimulate the community to improve the overall skill level, and to get people attending local tournaments more if they feel they have been overlooked. We have all of SoCal covered, from the High Desert to San Diego, and the list provides a solid foundation for the future. If you have any queries concerning the rankings, please PM any one of us. It's up to you if you decide these are accurate enough to be considered 'official.' We hope to update these in the near future.

POSITION CRITERIA
  • Tournament performance - It's not about how high a person placed, but rather who they defeated and who they lost to. Rankings take into consideration a person's collective Singles, Doubles and Crew performances over history and of recent times.
  • Consistency of Results - Self explanatory, but nonetheless I'll explain. If a person has done well or poorly in a singular tournament, it is not enough to warrant a major shift in their respective rank. On the other hand, a person who has continually produced similar results over many tournaments will be assessed accordingly.
  • Competitiveness of Tournament participated in - No point winning a tournament filled with 100 n00bs - Tournaments which have highly ranked or respected participants (from either Local or Out-of-State regions will be given greater weight.
  • Must be a current resident in Southern California (Santa Barbara, Ventura, Los Angeles, San Bernadino, Riverside, Orange, San Diego and Imperial Counties).
THE LIST
CHANGE | POSITION | NAME | MAIN | LOCATION

*NEW* Female power rankings. Too lazy to make an image.

-1. Nezumi (Jigglypuff) Orange County
-2. Jessica (Luigi's gf) (Peach) Riverside
-3. Nicky (Rickety's gf) (Peach) San Diego
-4. Kami Neko (No clue) No clue
-5. Brenda (kami neko's sister) (No clue) No clue

Panelists were solely Nezumi. If you can supply me info of characters and counties, let me know.

Feel free to discuss this, but not in a manner of immaturity that would result in the closure of this thread.

I want to ask of every tournament host to PLAESE upload their results and brackets on tio or to Neal. It's important we see these brackets and it makes things easier having it all in one place. Thanks a lot.

IMPORTANT INFO: Champ is no longer a Melee player. He now plays brawl. Thank you.

And last, if you feel your county was incorrectly done let me know so I can fix that, it's easy to replace!

What kind of cereal do you get when you mix cranberry, apple and vanilla.

give up?

Crapola

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
SoCal Power Rankings (January 27, 2007)

old first post went here. -neal

Neal, you *****!!1 - <3 cao

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
good stuff...you beat norcal =o Karthik was planning to make one haha didn't chu move to socal?
Chu is residing in SoCal, but does not live there, I think, not too positive on that. NorCal does need to do this though, I'll talk to Karthik/others about it.

EDIT: BTW, good job guys, actually inspired me to check out the tournaments results of several SoCal players, I expected some players to be above others, but gj on the list and beating NorCal too it XD haha

Johnny Blitz

Smash Ace
I'm not sure if this list is 100% accurate in terms of who is ranked above and below who or whatnot but i would definively say you got the top 10 or 15 right on the mark. ^^ buttttt i know for sure SOS should be way up there on the list because, as it has been said before... he is too good haha.

and thanks for the more detailed post CAO. ^^

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I think that's pretty accurate. sure you could change it somewhat but some people are really close in skill so some placements do it justice either way =) I don't think i'm good at making such a list anyway so maybe I shoudln't be listened to hehe :D

I'm sure some poeple who should be higher will move up soon if you look at the global power rankings things change after a few tournies. Ovbiously a list can never be 100% accurate since it's based alot on opinions but it's good to have these around. I know it'll definately motivate me so I don't drop LOL.

Tavo_7

BRoomer
BRoomer
Thanks for the mention guys, but I should be removed from the list. I’ve been pretty inconsistent the whole year and have not seen that much action. I still don’t plan on becoming active, probably just attend some random smashfest/biweekly/tourney. I’m pretty sure more than half the people on that list can beat me consistently at the moment. But I have beaten every person on that list in an official set XD (excluding Ken :p ) I’ve had my fill of smash over the years ^_^

Arash

Smash Lord
i've also beaten everyone on that list in a set at least twice (except ken and knives:))

although i don't know how you count crew skill, but i'm so-so in crews....

doubles though is another story:)

EDIT: mike Y is 5th? looks like i need to play him to see how good he's gotten:)

MrPBody

Smash Journeyman
Knives and rom should be placed higher, I'm pretty sure they should be placed above than Gabe & arash.
Ultra should be higer too
I have beaten panda, I don't know how he places above me o_o

Knivez

Smash Ace
Arash i dont think we ever played a set. I played your bowser with my marth and then with my fox once in pandatration friendlies. It was fun to see what bowser could do but the matchup isnt fair, so i should play your jiggs sometime.
on the side note, thanks pbody for the mention but gabe and arash are good especially against certain matchups.
GUS! you're still one of the best here, rusty or not. You were the first "pro" that i ever played and i thank you for encouraging me to come to tournies. We all know what you are capable of, so theres no debate that you should be in the list.

Aesis

Smash Ace
Tavo is still higher than me in the Top Sheiks in SoCal, regardless of past tournament results., but I think he should be moved down the list cuz crazy cats are getting tons better aka Romeo and Knivez

Trevyn higher. Just cuz he slacks off and doesnt own a gamecube doesnt mean he can't pwn...^_^

Dark_Fire

Smash Ace
socal has so many good smashers it's hard to decide who should be on the list. but i think everyone knows who is better and who isn't...

i thought azn lep would be on the list...i guess i just haven't been active enough to know :psycho:

PandaX

Smash Lord
I know how you feel Pbody. You've beaten me at every tournament we've played at. But I don't lose to blitz. XD jokesies.

I'd say the people around 14-20 are about the same level of skill, or something along those lines. That was honestly the group in which we did have difficulty deciding.

PS, Tavo. We need our match. Let me know when I can go over or vice versa.

DAHKTERem

Smash Ace
<-------- Overrated

lol. In all seriousness though I shouldn't be that high up, although I thank the other panel members for thinking of me that way ^^. I've had some good placings recently, but I think the higher ranks should go to players who have proven themselves consistently for a long time.

Gabe is pretty consistent in his tourney placings, and does well in many matchups, so I think he is top 10. Trevyn should be higher cuz he has great potential if he just tries a bit and STOPS F****** AROUND!!! haha jk :p.

Socal is tooooooooo good :)

PandaX

Smash Lord
I think romeo is about right. He has been ranking high in tournaments as well as knives and mike y, but yeah. I think the list will change. SOS will show up on the list and trevyn will be removed since he'll be AZ only.

MrPBody

Smash Journeyman
****, losing to blitz it losing my rep.
I did beat blitz in a compton tourny ^^ , so lets see what happens next time we play.
I think all 20 of us should try a swiss battle ^_^

I gotta step it up!

I noticed Azen Chef has beaten some of these people in tournament matches.

PandaX

Smash Lord
Chef has beaten a lot of these people. He kinda resembles palmdale with being good but didn't show up entirely as much. I still say it's hard to determine the proper placement for 14-20 since just about all those people are near equal in placements, and skill.

Charoo

Smash Champion
Yeah the decision between 11-15 was extremely close to each other. A lot of people are stepping it up lately, and also a lot of people are starting to slowly fade away from the community too. The next power ranking will definately be a big change due to new people being added in, taking out, and crazy performances by smashers.

This is just to get the idea that these 20 players have a very high chane to do well in tournament, but that doesn't mean people who are not in it does not. There have been upsets before, but it have to be consistent you know. On the other hand, yes you might have beaten people in this list before, or maybe even better most of them; but is it recently? To the point where if you were to fight each other in the upcoming tourneys will you be able to beat them all the time now? It would be like saying I beat Ken so I should be moved up on the list. That's a very bad premise, and conclusion if you ask me.

Certain match ups will be different for certain people too which have to be accounted for also. Hopefully this list will give a general idea of the socal smasher's skill, and maybe help people to try and get better so they can be on it, stay on their spot, or move up n_n

have fun

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
All I can say is people are going to starting taking alltournaments more seriously now, even the bi/triweeklies.

Cheerio!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom