• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So i discovered : Dash attack cancel Grab

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volya

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheVolya
Sooo hum i just discovered something on the Super Smash Bros 3ds DEMO yesterday
Basically, you can cancel any dash attack with a grab. The input difficulty and the utility of it depend of the char you are playing.

To do it, you have to :
:GCR: > :GCA: > :GCRT:
Dash > A (dash attack start) > R JUST after A, but the exact input time seems to be different for every char.

And boom, grab.
You can clearly see the cancel on some character like Villager : the little potflower vanish into dirt when you're cancelling the dashattack with the grab.

I tried to do this technique with all the char of the demo, and the efficacity of this grab is really different for any char. For exemple, Megaman's dash attack is not really compatible since he enter his "nado attack" very fast after the A input, while Villager have a little time before falling (or Link before jumping).

I don't have friend with the demo or a second 3ds with the demo to do real test (is it really worthy, does it add extra speed..) so feel free to test this technique and post what you think of it.

A friend told me to post this here and to name this technique just in case, so huh, i'll probably call it Boostgrab, or Volyagrab :colorful:

(Btw excuse my english, i'm french)

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
This is neat and will do some tests! :)

But we are not calling it a BoostGrab or Volyagrab. Not everything needs to be named by the discoverer for the fun of them seeing their name get popular. We gotta shake out of that trend. Plus, this already has a good name that follows what we call other similar mechanics. It's a dash attack cancel grab.

Last edited:

Kef

Smash Apprentice
This is neat and will do some tests! :)

But we are not calling it a BoostGrab or Volyagrab. Not everything needs to be named by the discoverer for the fun of them seeing their name get popular. We gotta shake out of that trend. Plus, this already has a good name that follows what we call other similar mechanics. It's a dash attack cancel grab.
I thought this was a thing already, it's an empty cancel:
- http://www.ssbwiki.com/Boost_grab

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
R+A is grab as well as L so all it's really doing is finishing the input before the dash attack can come out. I can't see an extra slide like here:
I thought this was a thing already, it's an empty cancel:
- http://www.ssbwiki.com/Boost_grab
Even with a character with an already sliding grab like C. Falcon.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Nice! This pretty much confirms DACUS being in the game (Dash Attack Canceled Up Smash). We'll have to wait for the Wii U version's release to find out for sure, unless someone figures out a way to perform it on the 3DS without a C-stick.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
I could see this maybe getting marginal use for villager and maybe pikachu, I'm testing it in the sandbag room and it seems that it adds a few inches to their effective dash grab range. However I'm not convinced that it wouldn't be just as fast to move forward for a moment longer and just dash grab normally. I don't think these "kara cancel" or "empty cancel" options will be super useful for a character unless the initial part of their dash attack is faster than their normal dash.

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Interesting. This could be useful for gimping people with Mario dash attack.

BBC7

Smash Ace
I don't think that characters with multi-hit DA's can make much of use of this. (Mega Man, Luigi, Kirby, etc.) Does anyone care to prove me wrong? I've been trying this with Mega Man and it looks like you might as well just do a regular dash than grab when it comes to using him.

I don't think that characters with multi-hit DA's can make much of use of this. (Mega Man, Luigi, Kirby, etc.) Does anyone care to prove me wrong? I've been trying this with Mega Man and it looks like you might as well just do a regular dash than grab when it comes to using him.
Well, like Burnsy said, the only times this will prove to be more useful than just doing a regular dash grab is when a character's dash attack acceleration is greater than their dash's acceleration. And even then, no characters come to mind where there would be a significant difference, and worth it enough to risk accidentally missing the grab and dash attacking into a shield.

BBC7

Smash Ace
Also, I recall someone saying that Mario and Mega Man can still get extended range off their grab through Dash + Grab, no pivoting required. I don't know if this is true for just Mario and Mega Man, I recall doing it with Link and Villager as well.

I don't know about Mario and Mega Man, but Villager's dash grab gets slightly more range than their standing grab. It has 13 more frames of ending lag though so it isn't really worth it (not that any of Villager's grabs are "worth it" anyway).

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I try doing this with Pikachu and he just basically does his running grab. Is there something I am doing wrong or is Pikachu different for some reason?

Pikachu's dash attack animation might just begin late enough that you don't actually see it. Even if you are cancelling his dash attack with a grab, the grab comes out before the animation is visible.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Ty ffor sharing, this has some strong application for certain characters!

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Nice! This pretty much confirms DACUS being in the game (Dash Attack Canceled Up Smash). We'll have to wait for the Wii U version's release to find out for sure, unless someone figures out a way to perform it on the 3DS without a C-stick.
This confirms no such thing but the instant dash attack (see relevant thread) suggests that DACUS might be possible as it's essentially replicating a C-stick input using a quarter circle motion.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Wait... so boost grabbing is Smash's name for kara throwing?
Essentially. Boost grabbing is the result of exploiting an input shortcut to do 1 move for a few frames and then cancel it into another move before hitboxes are out, just as Kara cancelling does. Btw other fighters have a lot more than just Kara grabs. Some Kara input shoryukens gain considerably further horizontal distance than normal, for example. Not quite as much as a good DACUS though, lol!

Last edited:

The Upholder

Smash Journeyman
This doesn't confirm dash attack cancelled anything else

BOOST GRABBING HAS BEEN IN THE GAME SINCE MELEE. It was unnoticeable on every character bar Sheik.
ehhh you must never have tried it on fox in melee (no idea about brawl). It wasn't quite as useful since his dash grab is a much longer animation than his standing, but I've used it on a fair number of occasions to grab people when they thought they were spaced out far enough.

The point is that it's still very limited in terms of use, though, and I agree with that. The character needs to have a significant bump in speed at the very beginning of their dash attack, unless you were doing something reaaaally weird. For instance, captain falcon actually slows down at the beginning of his dash attack, and a DACUS in brawl with him will actually stop dead while a regular running usmash will slide a bit.

Last edited:

BBC7

Smash Ace
ehhh you must never have tried it on fox in melee (no idea about brawl). It wasn't quite as useful since his dash grab is a much longer animation than his standing, but I've used it on a fair number of occasions to grab people when they thought they were spaced out far enough.

The point is that it's still very limited in terms of use, though, and I agree with that. The character needs to have a significant bump in speed at the very beginning of their dash attack, unless you were doing something reaaaally weird. For instance, captain falcon actually slows down at the beginning of his dash attack, and a DACUS in brawl with him will actually stop dead while a regular running usmash will slide a bit.
Mr. Game and Watch had the issue of stopping dead in his tracks as well. Also, is it even possible to perform DACUS with Luigi, Kirby, Fox, or Bowser?

MushroomKiller

Smash Cadet
Oh, God...
Imagine the possibilities!

"I just dash-attack-cancelled Volyagrabbed you in the face motherfuarkturd!"
"...What the fark is a vulva grab? sounds so wrong..."
"It's like a boost grab, only it's called VOLYA cuz Volya discovered it."
"...Volya pls."

In case anyone is in doubt: Yes, I'm joking :p

Signia

Smash Lord
This doesn't confirm dash attack cancelled anything else

BOOST GRABBING HAS BEEN IN THE GAME SINCE MELEE. It was unnoticeable on every character bar Sheik.
DACUS has been confirmed on stream by GIMR a few days ago. He did it with Sheik and some special button mapping.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Sonic seems to get the most out of it from this, the hitbox for his dash attack comes out before you can cancel it with a grab, so it's actually possible to hit with his dash attack, cancel it and grab. I'll try to get a replay with it, forgot to save it

oboeotaku

Smash Rookie
It's a pity the OP didn't look around online to maybe see if this hadn't already been in thing in the last 2 smash games as well. Volyagrab? I ask you...

Volya

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheVolya
I just didn't known about the "boostgrab" in the first place since i don't know a lot of vocabulary from previous games. A friend just suggested me to choose a name for it so yeah, i said "volyagrab" just in case. But i obviously think we should stick with the boostgrab term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom