• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Wants You! Come Write For Us

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Hey Smashers, The Derrit here. Ever thought about writing for games? Love Smash? Have a great idea for Smash that nobody is talking about? Well today's your day - the Smashboards Writing Staff is looking for motivated contributors and staff members to cover all sides of Smash Brothers culture and community. We've expanded our scope to create more opportunities to get involved, whether it be community fare or competitive coverage.

What We're Looking For

We want to expand our ability to cover every bit of Smash-related news, but this means we're going to need your help. If you are interested in creating articles about any of the topics below, please send me a direct message on Smashboards. If you have any preliminary questions, feel free to contact me on Twitter at @TheDerrit.
  • Competitive Play and Strategies
  • Advanced Techniques
  • Tournament Announcements and Recaps
  • Smash Streams to Watch
  • Nintendo News
  • Feature Length Stories
  • Player/TO Interviews
We hope to enlist two types of new writers. The first type is for weekly/regular columnists. For example, FGC guy Maximillian is going to create a Assist Me! series on Smash. Having writers committed to creating an article on that, and other regular projects, when they happen would help us get more content out to our readers and keep the front page entertaining for all of our guests. We would also love to find a few beat writers who can catch news as it happens! Sometimes important things happen when they're least expected, so we're eager to find multiple writers who will jump on emerging news as it happens.

Even if you're not interested in writing consistently, don't hesitate to reach out! Single contributions are welcomed.

What's In It For Me?

Fame! Wealth! Recognition!

Well, not exactly. The Smashboards Writing Staff is made up of unpaid volunteers - everyone, including myself, is working for free. That said, there are some significant perks to working with Smashboards that may catch your eye. On Smashboards, writers who have proven themselves dedicated contributors will receive a unique user banner denoting your contributions to the site. There are currently only four users who have earned this banner - will you be the fifth?

You only get the bottom one though.

Writing with Smashboards also builds bankable experience in the gaming sector that you can turn into some amazing opportunities. For me personally, my experience at Smashboards has opened some amazing doors. It's enabled me to build relationships with high-profile Smash players and community leaders, write features for Red Bull eSports and Gamesided, and even speak with some higher-ups in the gaming industry. If you love writing and want to work in the gaming industry, this is a great place to start.

What Do You Want To See?

The Daily Pictures may be gone, but Smashboards is committed to being the place to go for Smash. I always say it, but make your voice heard! Let us know in the comments what you want to see on the front page, and we will work on making it a reality.

Happy Smashing!

- The Derrit

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
A series where maybe a match or a set is analyzed by reasonably good players per week.

Some higher level stuff would be cool.

Coverage on upcoming players, like just skype/text interviews with them.

- All for Melee by the way.

Last edited:

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
I wanted some blue shell, oh well.

I hope people can share more about Smash bros. Especially for Smash 4, and Man.

I write a lot of crap. Keep it up! Smashing is not going anywhere.

Creativion

Smash Apprentice
I think it would be cool to do something like this, and to make games myself. But I think I'm more of a player then a developer sadly. Maybe that's because I'm only 13 atm. Sounds cool to try if you think I'm old enough.

Also, how do people actually find all this news about Nintendo in the first place?

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Possibly something like a featured newer player who is determined to get better, by showing off a video in which they are struggling in a matchup. Then having higher level players review and comment, in order to make the player in the video a better player overall.

Another idea is analyzing specific matchups but in full spectrum detail. Mentioning percents and kill points. Stuff like this would help newer players excel in matchups very fast.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Hey, I've been writing posts that are essentially articles on this forum during the past few months. My recent guide to new players about the value of watching competitive footage has gotten positive feedback. http://smashboards.com/guides/improving-at-super-smash-bros-friendly-advice-from-a-commentator.102/
I decided to turn that post into a guide because I find many of my longer posts end up being similar to a column.

If you'd like to have a columnist like me on board, I'd be honoured. I'm not sure I can be too regular, as I'm primarily a video content creator and smash commentator. However, I think being a commentator and content producer would give me a unique flavour as a writer for smashboards.

Let me know via PM. Thanks for the consideration.

- Cobbs

Last edited:

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Possibly something like a featured newer player who is determined to get better, by showing off a video in which they are struggling in a matchup. Then having higher level players review and comment, in order to make the player in the video a better player overall.

Another idea is analyzing specific matchups but in full spectrum detail. Mentioning percents and kill points. Stuff like this would help newer players excel in matchups very fast.
This is pretty much what I do in my video commentary, over at my channel @ www.youtube.com/cobbsgames -- having other players join in for some post-match critique would be a cool idea and one I'm up for. I can provide the video footage and commentary, and the discussion column can go from there.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
This is pretty much what I do in my video commentary, over at my channel @ www.youtube.com/cobbsgames -- having other players join in for some post-match critique would be a cool idea and one I'm up for. I can provide the video footage and commentary, and the discussion column can go from there.
Oooh~ Okay. Thanks for sending this. I'll definitely check it out. :3

Soul.

Lol this is interesting.
Do Nintendo News need to be about a certain game? If so, what if there's something to talk about, like a future console/handheld that just got revealed?
Also, you said that users don't need to write consistently. A single post or two is enough, right? I'm just wondering.

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Lol this is interesting.
Do Nintendo News need to be about a certain game? If so, what if there's something to talk about, like a future console/handheld that just got revealed?
Also, you said that users don't need to write consistently. A single post or two is enough, right? I'm just wondering.
'Enough' might not be the right word, but if you have just an article or two you'd like to write I'm still interested to hear ideas.

D

Deleted member

I guess it'd be nice to help with the Nintendo News. I might just think about it! The rest doesn't seem like my cup of tea mainly because I'm not too much into the competitive loop.

Last edited by a moderator:

Soul.

'Enough' might not be the right word, but if you have just an article or two you'd like to write I'm still interested to hear ideas.
Oh, I see. Sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions, but does the post need to be uploaded in an assignated time or can it be posted at any time?

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Oh, I see. Sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions, but does the post need to be uploaded in an assignated time or can it be posted at any time?
Well it depends on what we're talking about! Send me a PM and we can talk about the possibilities.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I don't know, I really want give some advice or do something good for Smashboards, however, the situation of the reality banned me from doing these. Maybe just wait for a few years.

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
im a rely gud spellr kan i b a kontributur 2. I am a seenjor in colege and Im worcing on my bachelers in english.

Dust the Baptist

Weeaboos aren't people.
NNID
Mank210
3DS FC
2809-9541-0380
I would love to work on this project @ The Derrit The Derrit seeing how I pretty much have lots of free time with my current college schedule, I would really like to write a article about Nakat's stream and his current series Zero to hero where he picks two subs and helps them better there skills, and then fight each other at the end for prizes. I would also love to do Nintendo news

NoteBlock

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheEvyBoy
Hey! I know this wasn't particularly mentioned in the original post, but I had the idea of a weekly Nintendo-based trivia type thing. Whether in the form of questions or just as in a "Did you know that-" kind of format. If you like the idea, I'd be happy to write them for you (or you can get someone else, doesn't matter)!

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Hey! I know this wasn't particularly mentioned in the original post, but I had the idea of a weekly Nintendo-based trivia type thing. Whether in the form of questions or just as in a "Did you know that-" kind of format. If you like the idea, I'd be happy to write them for you (or you can get someone else, doesn't matter)!
It'd be interesting to see some Smash trivia slowly transforming into Nintendo trivia as time flies by.

I miss the Music of Smash articles. Smash U may be released, but we should still showcase how awesome the game's music is.

Just spitballing some ideas for you.

Chris Sifniotis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
chrissifniotis
Damn and blast!
I really really really want to give this a go, but I'm not sure I can provide all that much. I'll shoot out a PM in a tic but I just don't know.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I'm interested but... I'm not too confident in my ability. Good luck to everyone contributing though.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I'd be interested, but I barely understand the competitive scene. With Nintendo News, I'm just slow compared to most people. Maybe one day I'll contribute with an article or something. For now, I'm sure there are many people more qualified than me.

Dark Emperor Hardin

Smash Cadet
Oh wow. That is an excellent idea. I hope this comes to be a reality, for I'd love to read trivia regarding my favorite Nintendo series. Best of luck to you and your future endeavors.

Top Bottom