• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Partners with The Big House 4, $500 Good Player Fund

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Bellevue, WA - Smashboards, the worlds largest site dedicated to Super Smash Brothers and home of the competitive Smash community with over 140,000 members, has partnered with the premier Super Smash Brothers tournament The Big House 4. The Big House, first launched in 2011, has grown every year and is now the largest fall Smash tournament in the Midwest, US. With The Big House 4, tournament organizer Robin "Juggleguy" Harn aims to up the ante on an already stellar history. The Big House 4 will feature both Super Smash Brothers Melee and Project M and will be livestreamed in HD by VGBootcamp and TourneyLocator. As part of the partnership deal, Smashboards will be providing $500 for a Good Player Fund to help get the best players to The Big House 4. With Harn at the helm, a leading organizer who has written many articles on TO best practices, the tournament promises to be one of the smoothest and most well run event you could attend.

"The Big House is proud to be partnering with Smashboards, home of the competitive Smash community. In this platinum age of the game, it's awesome to have the support of the #1 Smash website in the world. The Big House is the largest active Melee and Project M tournament series in the Midwest, and as a Smashboards member for several years myself, I'm excited to work with the community to make this year's edition the biggest yet." Said Robin "Juggleguy" Harn, Tournament Organizer for The Big House 4.

The tournament will be held in Romulus, Michigan on October 4th - 5th, 2014. Tournament features include 8000+ square feet of ballroom space, a free shuttle that runs 24/7 between the hotel and DTW airport, and traditional round robin pools that ensure paying attendees get more matches for their dollar. Rules for each game can be viewed here. Registration is open and starts at $30 for venue with $10 for each additional game - click here to register before the cost goes up! If you plan on attending, The Big House 4 treats Smashers who lend a setup right by offering up to a $10 discount on the venue price. Registering online is mandatory for The Big House 4 and there will be price increases on August 15 and September 15 so it is best to register early.

Last edited:

E-ColeWorld

Smash Apprentice
OMG!!! Glad to see Smash getting more recognition
#Smash4life

Also they should have all smash games instead of just 2

Last edited:

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
OMG!!! Glad to see Smash getting more recognition
#Smash4life

Also they should have all smash games instead of just 2
#Smash4life

There's not really any competitive scene for SSB64, except for a few exceptional players, and Brawl is... Brawl. It makes sense to put the big two games in instead of wasting money on the ones that are less likely to turn a profit. Remember, unless you're Peach, to stay afloat you have to have money.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Freaked out when I read "Bellevue, WA" at the start of the article and thought TBH4 was gonna be held right where I live. Oh well. At least IK I could potentially stalk an admin :D

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
I agree. You can't really call yourself a Smash tournament if you don't even have the most recent Smash game.
If that's the case, a good chunk of tourneys today aren't legit I guess lol.

Tourneys are hard to run; they have to prioritize the more popular games and organize how those will work first. Melee and PM are def the most popular as of now, so they fit the bill (PM is technically the newest game too lol). Time/resources are a factor as well; each tourney can only last so long before people get tired and want to leave. Sometimes, the work put into planning 2 popular games will have results worth more than putting way more work and time into planning 3-4 games and receiving just an itsy little bit more entrants and income.

Last edited:

Kati

Smash Lord
Having a lot of downloads doesn't make it a Smash game. Stop trolling please.
Expecting just any mod to be at a tournament is a whimsical idea. Running tournaments requires realistic thinking. In a perfect world, there would be singles and doubles for every smash game. But time, money, and the amount of participants forces the TO to compromise. PM has the necessary amount of people willing to travel and pay. Smash 64, brawl+, brawl-, brawl infinite, and vanilla brawl do not.

Last edited:

shapular

Smash Ace
i think i can say that PM is its own smash game but this is my OPINION. So no butt hurt comments toward me
It's not a matter of opinion. If Nintendo didn't make it, it's not a Super Smash Bros. game. That's a fact. It doesn't even have Super Smash Bros. in the name.

E-ColeWorld

Smash Apprentice
It's not a matter of opinion. If Nintendo didn't make it, it's not a Super Smash Bros. game. That's a fact. It doesn't even have Super Smash Bros. in the name.
HAHA!! you funny and im not about to argue but lets just say people call melee and brawl "Melee" in "Brawl". PM is just what ppl say yo. Either way im done with this little conflict

Last edited:

Wolf_

Smash Journeyman
Project M Ruleset is 3 stock matches!?

Expecting just any mod to be at a tournament is a whimsical idea. Running tournaments requires realistic thinking. In a perfect world, there would be singles and doubles for every smash game. But time, money, and the amount of participants forces the TO to compromise. PM has the necessary amount of people willing to travel and pay. Smash 64, brawl+, brawl-, brawl infinite, and vanilla brawl do not.
Man who cares? If people wanna think that let them, it's not hurting anyone

Last edited:

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Wait, three stock matches instead of four??? What the hell, UM?.. -_-

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Yeah, I agree. They aren't.
Never said that that's what I think lol, was just saying that going by your logic, that'd be the case...which is a bit of a conceited view. You should be more open and consider that all games in the series are still Smash lol.

TFerg

Smash Apprentice
Why are you even posting in this thread? The community will play what they will play. If Brawl was better than PM, then it would absolutely have more tournaments. As it stands the vast majority consider it not as competitively entertaining, and I haven't seen a Brawl tourney in months in my area.

If you like it, that's great, but dumping on something else hundreds of thousands of people enjoy is pointless. Stop disguising it as some weird "official" gaming moral code you have.

Last edited:
Top Bottom