• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - July 8th

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
Smash WiiU & 3DS director Masahiro Sakurai says "Pic of the day. I talked about an attack with a far reach in yesterday's post, but it didn't compare to Palutena's up smash attack! No joke, it reaches really far. It reached so far in this shot that even the rocketbarrels got blown up."

He also included a second picture saying "That said, if we're talking just about range, even that can't beat Palutena's power, Heavenly Light. It has quite a damage field. However, this is a no-flinch attack, which means the opponents won't react to the damage!"

Last edited by a moderator:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
So it's a giant fox laser, wish it did more than go straight up though. Seems like it'd be interesting in teams, though

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
"Interesting to see these Smash Attacks having so much range"

Palutena's Up-Smash looks more extreme than even some specials themselves. Pseudo-special-final smash?

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
I'm sure my fellow Palutena fans will agree with this next statement: FINALLY!!!!! Our Goddess takes the spotlight, pun intended.

I've been waiting for a Palutena PotD for quite some time, and the wait was worth it. Two detailed descriptions of her attacks. They look awesome, by the way.

She truly fights like a Goddess of Light. Spectacular, powerful, graceful, and effortlessly flashy. She has that "all encompassing" kind of reach in some of her attacks, like I hoped she would. I can't wait to smite opponents with that move lol. Miis looked neat, and Pac-man did his thing and that's cool and all.... and I liked it, thanks for showing. But this... I love this.

/fangirl

Last edited:

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
I feel like Heavenly Light, depending on the lag used on it could be so strong against Jigglypuff for Rest punish. Imagine calling heavenly light and charging the up smash! Crazy damage. Palutena looks so interesting, I can't wait to play her.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
The up-smash doesn't have as much knockback, as seen in the trailer. Obviously you can still probably.... Airdodge > Backair to at least give her a bit of pressure, even if you dont land a hit and she puts her shield up. So people calling her OP are getting ahead of themselves lol, A character like kirby will have to be aggro and keep close, that's probably how you beat her, by getting close, you can still shield and air dodge, its not like all options are shut down by this move xD

MK's Shuttle loop is still worse than this (priority, even if you air dodge you probably will get hit by the glide attack, even if you shield your shield will still get hit), so the OP stuff has got to stop, she's still vulnerable. She cant shut down all options like an MK's nado or Up-B so calm down ppl.

Dr.Turtle

Smash Cadet
Diddy's yellow palette swap returns! Oh, and Palutena has range. Cool.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Ooh finally some Palutena info in a pic of the day. She's turning out to be quite unique I think.

Brendan Stepladder

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3626-0125-2928
Sorry for unoriginality, but oh, that up-smash.

Anyway, Palutena is quickly shaping up to be a spammer's wet dream. I'm sure she has other abusable moves in her arsenal.

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
That's what she said!
wrong use of those words... nothing funny here.

Palutena looks like an interesting character right now... somehow this fox-like laser upwards seems handy when someone's launched up and stalling. I know a certain person who likes to play Battlefield a lot so this might be handy =)

But yeah, it LOOKS like she's going to be a bit overpowered, but i guess she'll have to pay the price by speed or something? Also, her upsmash doesn't look like it's covering her from behind, so it will only work against front-enemies and front air enemies.

lilt

Smash Journeyman
That's what she said!
Who? Palutena? I don't get it.

@ topic: I got to admit, Palutena looks quite interesting. I don't think she'll be OP.
Sakurai seems to go with some extremes this time around.
Extreme power on the ground -> Little Mac.
Extreme range -> Palutena.
But both will have their weak spots (hopefully).

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
wrong use of those words... nothing funny here.

Palutena looks like an interesting character right now... somehow this fox-like laser upwards seems handy when someone's launched up and stalling. I know a certain person who likes to play Battlefield a lot so this might be handy =)

But yeah, it LOOKS like she's going to be a bit overpowered, but i guess she'll have to pay the price by speed or something? Also, her upsmash doesn't look like it's covering her from behind, so it will only work against front-enemies and front air enemies.
(It's not supposed to be funny)

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
This actually looks really cool. I'm glad Sakurai's willing to go out of his comfort zone with this moveset.

bkslider

Smash Journeyman
She better be extremely light.
Of course she is, she's the Goddess of Light! (ba dum tsh)

I don't know how big a fan I am of these giant moves, but regardless, I love Palutena and am excited to play as her.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428

@ topic: I got to admit, Palutena looks quite interesting. I don't think she'll be OP.
Sakurai seems to go with some extremes this time around.
Extreme power on the ground -> Little Mac.
Extreme range -> Palutena.
But both will have their weak spots (hopefully).
Mac can be up thrown and comboed to death because his air game sucks and gimped because his recovery also sucks, but which are Pauletena's weak points?

Uffe

Smash Hero
I took a look at the first picture this morning and thought Palutena destroyed all the platforms on Battlefield. I'm expecting her up smash to be slow since it has a lot of range and like all smashes, is meant to be a killer move, just to balance things out so nobody freaks out.

Sonovin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sonovin
3DS FC
2466-3203-5587
Wonder if this will highest Up-Smash.

Top Bottom