• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - August 15th

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
Super Smash Bros. for WiiU & 3DS director Masahiro Sakurai said: "Pic of the day. Here's the place you equip powers for Smash Run. Pack a good mix of them like a lunch box, and off you go! You can change how your powers are set up by touching their icons and dragging them."

He also continued, saying "If you hit the X Button, it will randomly fill up the remaining weight allowance with powers. You can keep changing the line-up as many times as you please. The level of a power is proportional to its strength, number of uses, and weight. Organizing them might be easier if you label your favorite powers with a ★."

Last edited by a moderator:

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Whenever I see a Smash Run update, I'm constantly reminded of the Smash Direct and Link's ********-looking up air and then I get depressed again.

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
I'm pretty hyped for Smash Run, but this update feels pretty "meh" to me :/

JCDied4U

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sieger
You'd think Smash Run was its own game with how much he talks about it.

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
Tired of lame updates about smash run. I think we know how smash run works!!

PlasmWraith

Smash Apprentice
It's strange how people expect something like Shulk riding Ridley with King K. Rool's head every daily pic update. This is pretty cool though, I like this

Turmalinium

Smash Apprentice
Another PotD where you can see how Smash4 was influenced by Kid Icarus Uprising.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
This game shoulda been named Supah Smashicus Uprising if you catch my drift nyuk nyuk nyuk nyuk nyuk.

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman
Another day closer to launch means more chances of us getting something new for an update!

Hmmmm

Smash Cadet
NNID
Magykal
3DS FC
3883-7075-6475
With 48 days left? I'm predicting about one veteran a week.

It depends on if Sakurai wants to showcase someone in a newcomer video. But yeah, this is a very meh post.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Going downhill again with the pics? Come on Sakurai! Now I think about it, September 13 is coming close!!

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Another PotD where you can see how Smash4 was influenced by Kid Icarus Uprising.
Another Pic of the day where someone has to mention how it was influenced by Kid Icarus Uprising.

Kid Icarus: SSB Edition
This joke is old. Stop using it. Please.

He's certainly taking all the best elements from KI: U. I'm excited for smash run =D
^ This is someone that gets it.

I'm honestly sick of people continuously mentioning the similarities between the games. It's the same guy who worked on both of them, so of course some of the elements he liked from past works of his he's going to bring over here. If you don't like how he does stuff, don't support the game, it's honestly that simple.

bkslider

Smash Journeyman
Wow, first POTD that wasn't put up super early in a while.

Mr. Sakurai is certainly going into detail with Smash Run. Looking forward to playing it, although I don't think I will play it often compared to vs mode.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
but what if those launch day surprises disconfirm your most wanted ;o;
It's not like we truly had a great influence of who gets in or not as the game is going to sell even if not every character is in or not.

LiL Hobbes

Smash Cadet
Looks like there will be a total of 56 powers to choose from. I wonder if you’ll be able to unlock more through Smash Run?

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
I'm honestly sick of people continuously mentioning the similarities between the games. It's the same guy who worked on both of them, so of course some of the elements he liked from past works of his he's going to bring over here.
Yes, because Smash in the past has always been riddled full with Kirby references and nothing else.

The point is, its unsettling for a single franchise to get much more representation than any other in a game all about combining different universes. Yes he's made those games before, but that also doesn't mean I can't dislike the fact that he gives a game much more representation than I feel it needs to be, especially considering how in past smash games he's never interjected his own titles to this extent before.

If you don't like how he does stuff, don't support the game, it's honestly that simple.
**** me for pointing out something I don't like. If everyone was to stop supporting something if they saw something that unnerved them, then trust me we'd be living in a totally different society.

Last edited:
Unless some of the powers stand out for their usefulness, I think I'll just hit X to randomize every time. It's like autobuy from Counter Strike. Smash Run is meant to be brief so I don't want to get too meticulous choosing equipment every time.

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
first hahaha this seems pretty cool though
I hope you pass on the story of how you commented first on the Smash 4's PotD on August 15, 2014 to your grandchildren. And I hope they care more than us.

Anyway, I hope you can use these on your friends in those random encounter events. :awesome:

Last edited:

LiL Hobbes

Smash Cadet
Once there is 20 days left for Japan we won't think that's a lot. Then when it releases in Japan there will be 20 days until the release for US!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
especially considering how in past smash games he's never interjected his own titles to this extent before.
Say what you will about item representation and enemy representation, but Sakurai has always borrowed a lot of game mechanics from Kirby games. Heck, the foundation of how Smash plays derives from Kirby, the controls are so similar. And Subspace Emissary was basically Kirby Super Star 2 with how the levels were laid out. And Smash Run is based off of Kirby Air Ride's City Trial.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with borrowing game mechanics from his past works, it's not even a reference to those games as such, it's just inspiration.

The mechanics he's taking from Kid Icarus: Uprising are mostly pre-battle stuff like equipment and the Fighter Scale. They are hardly intrusive and they only improve the experience of the game, and give you more options to play around with before you fight.

There's no need to change the stuff he's drawing from Uprising (beyond aesthetics of the menus) since they worked perfectly in Uprising, and they translate perfectly into Smash. Uprising had a lot of great ideas even just from how menus and pre-battle setup worked, so Sakurai is just taking those elements into Smash, because they work. There is nothing wrong with doing this, it's only a good thing.

Last edited:

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
There is absolutely nothing wrong with borrowing game mechanics from his past works, it's not even a reference to those games as such, it's just inspiration.

The mechanics he's taking from Kid Icarus: Uprising are mostly pre-battle stuff like equipment and the Fighter Scale. They are hardly intrusive and they only improve the experience of the game, and give you more options to play around with before you fight.

There's no need to change the stuff he's drawing from Uprising (beyond aesthetics of the menus) since they worked perfectly in Uprising, and they translate perfectly into Smash. Uprising had a lot of great ideas even just from how menus and pre-battle setup worked, so Sakurai is just taking those elements into Smash, because they work. There is nothing wrong with doing this, it's only a good thing.
Mechanics =/= References. I was never talking about mechanics to begin with, though I could see why it might come across that way.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Another Pic of the day where someone has to mention how it was influenced by Kid Icarus Uprising.

I'm honestly sick of people continuously mentioning the similarities between the games. It's the same guy who worked on both of them, so of course some of the elements he liked from past works of his he's going to bring over here. If you don't like how he does stuff, don't support the game, it's honestly that simple.
Another game this is taking a lot from is Kirby Air Ride. For some reason I don't hear anyone ******** about that. Kinda a double standard, no?

Turmalinium

Smash Apprentice

My comment was not supposed to be negative but i can see why you would assume that it was meant that way. In fact i like the similarities between the games because i absolutely loved Kid Icarus Uprising and i think Smash4 will definitely benefit from Sakurais experiences with Kid Icarus Uprising.

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus
Rocket belt is a power, hmm. I shall challenge one and all to a parkour race.

CCD23

Smash Cadet
I'm surprised no else noticed this, but "Power Bomb" is an equip-able power. Back Shield and Rocket Belt are also equip-able, which incidentally are also items.

It makes me wonder if Power Bomb is an item that Sakurai has yet to reveal...

FYI, the "Power Bomb" item I'm thinking of is a weapon Samus uses in the Metroid series. A single Power Bomb typically engulfs an entire room in an explosion. It seems like it would be an item that would make sense to be in Smash Bros.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Smash community:Ugh another POTD were we don't get a character Come on sakurai you do better than this.Were's shulk fighting ridley with K roil and chrous men singing in the background.Plus can you stop with the kid icarus this isn't kid icarus uprisinng 2 featuring other characters it's smash brothers.

Normal people:Cool an update about smash run.It's great to see an update on a new mode in the game.This lunch box thing looks interesting and i can't wait to try it.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Guys, Sakurai borrowing from his past games is nothing new. Look at Master Hand - ever since Melee (maybe even 64?), most of his moves were ripped straight from Bongo Bongo, one of the bosses of Kirby Super Star's 'Great Cave Offensive.' Many non-Kirby characters also have moves reminiscent of Kirby's copy abilities. This has never harmed the game in any way - if anything, it helps promote quicker adoption by sprinkling in familiar mechanics.

If it worked before, there's no reason why it shouldn't work again. There isn't a rule that says you can't reuse the same game concept for more than one game. It's also cool to see an old concept working in a different way. That kind of flexibility doesn't come easily, and there's no sense wasting it.

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
This is cool. I kind of thought this would be how equipping powers in smash run might work, so being proven right is a-okay by me. Mostly because I don't think there's any other good way to do it.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
So with all the high notes over the last month...this week ends on one a few cents flat.

Still interesting, though. Seems like Sakurai didn't want to mess with the whole grid setup for the powers this time around...

Top Bottom