• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - April 21st

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
Smash Wii U & 3DS director Masahiro Sakurai says "Pic of the day. For the first time in the Smash series, Beam Swords will feature graduated colors. The attack item on the left is the Fire Bar. This is a peculiar weapon that becomes shorter after each swing."

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
I like it. I always preferred the beam sword look that it had in Melee personally. Smash 64 was red and elongated like the blue one from Brawl. This one seems similar to Melee's iteration of the beam sword. Awesome.

Iguana

Smash Cadet
Obviously I'll end up playing with no items, but I really like the addition of the Fire Bar as an item. One of the items I liked the most from the new additions along with the Cuccos and the Bombchus.

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
Also, though I know it's somewhat off topic from the pic of the day, I wanted to say something. Why can't Smash 4 have a control mechanic somewhat similar to Marvel vs Capcom? Have a normal control scheme and a simple control scheme. That way it'd be easy to pick up for newcomers off the bat, and Melee fans would get the crisp control they desire. I'm curious to see how deep this moveset customization will go. It could drastically change the gameplay.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Isn't Marvel vs Capcom and fighting games like that much more complex than Smash? Since you have to know long combos and all that?

Anyways, Fire Bar looks Epic. I wonder how strong it will be.

itsameluigi1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
luigitime1290
Baby you're a Fiiiiiiiiirebar, flamin' like a shooooootin' star, make 'em go "ouch, ouch, ouch", playin' on your couch, couch, couuuuuch.

^ My new hit single.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Blue near the hilt, purple in the middle and red on the point. That's one cool looking sword. Link should ditch his Master Sword and take the Beam Sword on his adventures xD

Last edited:

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
I always found the swords nd bats more effective as a throwing item rather than swinging them.

Btw are those fireballs or... dragonballs?

Antexerxes

Training Partner?
NNID
Orochi-Aizen
3DS FC
2509-3490-1795
Also, though I know it's somewhat off topic from the pic of the day, I wanted to say something. Why can't Smash 4 have a control mechanic somewhat similar to Marvel vs Capcom? Have a normal control scheme and a simple control scheme. That way it'd be easy to pick up for newcomers off the bat, and Melee fans would get the crisp control they desire. I'm curious to see how deep this moveset customization will go. It could drastically change the gameplay.
Well Smash 4 isnt Melee. Sakurai wont allow the "accidental tech" that Melee had and if someone descovers some, he might patch it out. Plus Smash has the easiest control scheme out of any fighting game while MvC can go from easy to Simon Says so a "simple" and "normal" wouldnt be necessary but welcome.

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
Well Smash 4 isnt Melee. Sakurai wont allow the "accidental tech" that Melee had and if someone descovers some, he might patch it out. Plus Smash has the easiest control scheme out of any fighting game while MvC can go from easy to Simon Says so a "simple" and "normal" wouldnt be necessary but welcome.
It would be a welcome addition along with the regular play style. Sakurai seems to want to cater to both crowds. That would be a good way to do it. I agree that anything deemed unnecessary by him may be patched. That could be helpful or extremely obnoxious. He could also change some aspects of the game due to the community response.

Senario

Smash Ace
Except melee's tech skills were mostly intended. L canceling is known as soft landing in the 64 manual and wavedashing is the conservation of momentum. It is always people who don't know anything about melee that are quick to judge. Moonwalking wasn't intended and neither was Dash attack cancelling.

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
Item changes like these give me the chills. Thanks, Sakurai. (Salute)

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Why can't Smash 4 have a control mechanic somewhat similar to Marvel vs Capcom? Have a normal control scheme and a simple control scheme. That way it'd be easy to pick up for newcomers off the bat, and Melee fans would get the crisp control they desire.
Super smash brothers is inherently a very simple game at it's core.

Make it any simpler and it would be automatic.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I can't stress how much I love the idea of the Fire Bar.
I just really like how Sakurai took a common stage hazard from Mario, and made it an item (Kind of like the new Pirahna Plant item in MK8)!

Last edited:

Maikou

Smash Ace
I just wish the weapon items actually did something. Beam Swords are cool, but what's the point if your basic AAA combo doesn't exist anymore? When I get a beam sword, I'm all like, "Yeah! Slice you up with a Lightsaber!" and then I try a basic A move and it turns out boring and weak and I'm like "This is so a Rip-off!"

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You need to do something for the "casual" crowd Sakurai is trying to appeal to.
This game is not specifically focusing on the casual crowd, that was Brawl.

“Quite simply Melee was something that was targeted more towards hardcore, advanced players,” Sakurai told me, when I asked him to characterize his new games. “With Wii, on a platform where you were getting experiences like Wii Fit and there was an audience that tilted slightly more towards beginning players, we slowed down the gameplay. This time around, we don’t see a situation where we’ll be encountering as many beginning players, and so as far as the speed and the feel of the game, I think you could say confidently that we’re targeting something right in between those two versions.”
http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/07/03/creating-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u-and-3ds?page=2

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
This game is not specifically focusing on the casual crowd, that was Brawl.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/07/03/creating-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u-and-3ds?page=2
I'm aware of this. I'm only saying that if Sakurai is going to make a game become that casual(Brawl) then it completely turns off people from the game. Even the majority of casual players agree that they enjoy Melee's/Project M's physics and speed as opposed to Brawl. Even without the tech, people loved it because it was fast and action packed. Brawl was slow and boring unless you had 4 players with items on very high. The slow gameplay made it not as fun. I tried to like Brawl and played it a ton in the past, but it just isn't as fun. It's so defensive that it just doesn't feel like Smash.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm aware of this. I'm only saying that if Sakurai is going to make a game become that casual(Brawl) then it completely turns off people from the game. Even the majority of casual players agree that they enjoy Melee's/Project M's physics and speed as opposed to Brawl. Even without the tech, people loved it because it was fast and action packed. Brawl was slow and boring unless you had 4 players with items on very high. The slow gameplay made it not as fun. I tried to like Brawl and played it a ton in the past, but it just isn't as fun. It's so defensive that it just doesn't feel like Smash.
That's fine and all. But I was just pointing out how Sakurai isn't particularly going out of his way to appeal to the casual gamer this time around, and therefore, no "simple controls mode" or anything is necessary.

EverythingSmash

www.youtube.com/everythingsmash
Just imagine if the custom move set allowed for an air dodge change, back to the melee one. That would certainly make things interesting..

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
You need to do something for the "casual" crowd Sakurai is trying to appeal to.
Smash brothers was a game made for everyone to be able to enjoy.
By technicalities, that's a game made for casuals.

Smash 4 is literally the first time he's trying to appeal to the competitive crowd.

Everything else that was developed in previous iterations weren't really designed for the competitive players.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Smash brothers was a game made for everyone to be able to enjoy.
By technicalities, that's a game made for casuals.

Smash 4 is literally the first time he's trying to appeal to the competitive crowd.

Everything else that was developed in previous iterations weren't really designed for the competitive players.
Melee was actually targeted directly at more hardcore players, mechanics wise. Check my first post here, with Sakurai's quote on it.

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
He kinda tried that already in Melee. It's called Single-Button Mode (Granted, this probably isn't what you meant, but I couldn't resist.)
:troll: troll harder. Well played.

Just imagine if the custom move set allowed for an air dodge change, back to the melee one. That would certainly make things interesting..
This is why I said I'm curious to see how deep moveset customization can go. From what the trailer showed off, it seemed pretty basic (Mainly changing the properties of moves).

An example I thought of: I don't like Link's Gale Boomerang. I was wondering If through the custom movesets I'd be able to remove the wind effect entirely so it would become a regular boomerang once more.

Some people are thinking too highly of this mechanic. Though it would actually balance if you think about it with air dodging. You can either have the Brawl air dodge where you can dodge as much as you'd like, but cannot dodge in a direction. Or you could have an omni-directional air dodge that you could only use once and would cause you to go into a "helpless" state as you fall.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Isn't Marvel vs Capcom and fighting games like that much more complex than Smash? Since you have to know long combos and all that?

Anyways, Fire Bar looks Epic. I wonder how strong it will be.
You don't have to learn long combos, they're just very helpful, there are still mix ups and mind games you can use to pressure or confuse opponents, kinda like Smash Bros.

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
I'll play with items for maybe less than a year, but they'll probably get annoying once I've warmed up to the game.

Top Bottom