• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - April 11th

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
Smash Wii U & 3DS director Masahiro Sakurai says "Pic of the day. Your character starts a Smash Run as a relatively ordinary fighter. But before the game, you can outfit yourself with certain items that can help power you up early, which will give you a big advantage later on!! These items are much like the Powers you'd find in Kid Icarus: Uprising."

Last edited by a moderator:

LoneWolfRanger

Smash Apprentice
Im wondering, if this collecting takes 5 mins, how long will the actual match be?
It will suck that u need to play 5 mins to play a 30 sec match

Controlled_Chaos

Smash Cadet
Im wondering, if this collecting takes 5 mins, how long will the actual match be?
No, you can keep playing. The direct said "...Then you can quikly jump into another battle, as you wish"

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
Im wondering if this is even fun to play after collecting that powerup stuff... Sounds like a handicapped match, which I normally don't play... Plus, why is this 3DS only?

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Im wondering if this is even fun to play after collecting that powerup stuff... Sounds like a handicapped match, which I normally don't play... Plus, why is this 3DS only?
The camera would be harder to see on the Console version.

Eskelsen

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eskelsen
This looks great, I can see myself enjoying this with my friends between classes and what not.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Because of how massive the stage is, if you were to play this on Wii U, the camera would have to zoom out to keep all players on the screen at the same time. If everybody has their own screen, they can go separate directions and still be able to see their own characters.

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
Of course it'll be fun to play, you'll be able to make huge jumps, run super fast, or do massive damage. Yes in a way it's kind of like a special match (like giant-sized or perma-invisible or something like that) but the difference here is you get to play against the other 3 people during the set-up for this game mode as well as the match itself. Do you go off on your own trying to get as many power-ups as possible? Do you stalk your opponents and try to make their lives miserable as they try to gather their own power-ups? The hilarity that will no doubt ensue from this game mode is something that i'll be sad to miss out on.

Also, how would this work on the Wii U? The only way you could do this would be online, or else you'd have to do it split-screen or have the camera ridiculously zoomed out. Each 3DS has its own screen, so it won't be a problem there.

Besides, this gives people who weren't thinking about it before a reason to consider getting the 3DS version. Movin' dem units, makin' dat money.

Last edited:

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
uhhh nope??? the wii u could have this like online-only... kinda same for 3DS... but i don't really mind... i don't think this is what i'm playing smash bros for anyways.

LoneWolfRanger

Smash Apprentice
Of course it'll be fun to play, you'll be able to make huge jumps, run super fast, or do massive damage. Yes in a way it's kind of like a special match (like giant-sized or perma-invisible or something like that) but the difference here is you get to play against the other 3 people during the set-up for this game mode as well as the match itself. Do you go off on your own trying to get as many power-ups as possible? Do you stalk your opponents and try to make their lives miserable as they try to gather their own power-ups? The hilarity that will no doubt ensue from this game mode is something that i'll be sad to miss out on.

Also, how would this work on the Wii U? The only way you could do this would be online, or else you'd have to do it split-screen or have the camera ridiculously zoomed out. Each 3DS has its own screen, so it won't be a problem there.

Besides, this gives people who weren't thinking about it before a reason to consider getting the 3DS version. Movin' dem units, makin' dat money.
I didnt think about this game mode like that. Sounds really fun the way you describe it!

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
3ds screens is better for me now, after the direct.
just because we can play it early.

ALREADY got a 3ds...but i just bought a 3ds xl too...for smash 3DS.
2 3ds, ...i hope i will not regret!

That's a lot of 3DS ! That'll be four bucks, baby! You want fries with that?

Last edited:

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
My only concern is how there is such a mass quantity of power up drops. It makes a lot of clutter on the screen and, besides just looking crazy, seems like it takes the value away from "Building your own fighter," and becomes "Grab all this mass influx of **** on the screen." Contrast to Kirby Air Ride's City Trial, the model this mode is based on, and you'll find a lot more isolated patches, as well as the occasional negative patch, shaded in grey, meaning a lot more attention has to be payed when opening up patch boxes and navigating in general.

Believe it or not, the model works really well in Kirby Air Ride. A lot of the fun is in building up the star's stats and causing chaos in the city for seven minutes, then seeing how it does in a 12 second drag race or destruction derby or whatever, then jumping back in and doing it all over. It can cause quite a lot of time to go by without notice, because it really is a fun model.

I'm not sure how it will work with the 3DS game, since it's not exactly the best console for doing several games quickly -- syncing, waiting, and starting individual games for, say, Mario Kart or Kid Icarus takes quite a while and makes it not as enjoyable after a few rounds.

Last edited:

TheLegendaryKRB

Smash Apprentice
Or at least a "City Trial 2" That game was the best. I probably played 170+ hours of it and that number still rises today.
But then Top Ride and Air Ride mode will vanish and I LOVED THOSE MODES! Not as much as City Trial. Btw City Trial should be an SSB4-WiiU stage. That would be awesome.

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
this mode doesnt look as interesting as it seems. I wanted to hear about street passing and how that works, but I will definitely try out this mode. Now i just need a 3DS

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
Aren't you a bit exaggerating right now? ashamed... because of a feature the 3ds has extra compared to wii u? how?

Silic0n

Smash Cadet
NNID
Silic0n
I'll be getting the 3DS version to play until the Wii U version comes out, and this mode looks like a lot of fun.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
I hope you can play this against CPUs.
And i hope this mode doesn't means no adventure mode for the 3DS version.
I'm fairly sure there won't be an Adventure like in Melee, but we should still have things like Classic and All-Star.
Now that I think about it, Sakurai not only confirmed All-Star mode in the Direct, but said that Assist Trophies would play a role in it. This has me very curious, assuming it wasn't just a translation error and he was just talking about the standard character trophies.

Xykness

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XYKman
The hype was BIG when I saw this on Nintendo Direct! This is such an interesting concept to bring into the Smash world and I look forward to playing it for hours on end!

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I hope we get a lot of options to customize games against friends. City Trial let you adjust the time limit from 3-7 minutes and pick the type of challenge at the end, but could Smash Run let you set up a 10 minute game, or make it so the battles at the end are stock matches?

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
5 minutes does seem a bit long for me, but either way, mode looks fun as hell. It'll be a great way to break the monotony that sometimes sets in.

Hopefully the stages don't get tired.

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
Because of how massive the stage is, if you were to play this on Wii U, the camera would have to zoom out to keep all players on the screen at the same time. If everybody has their own screen, they can go separate directions and still be able to see their own characters.
There's also split-screen, but that isn't always the best. Plus, screenhogging! :p

Top Bottom