• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Gets a "Call To Arms"

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
Recently, longtime Smash community member and tournament organizer @juice.Doom of Juice Gaming released a "Call To Arms" directed at the competitive community for Super Smash Bros for Wii U. The overarching goal of this effort is to energize and mobilize the community to take the steps necessary to build a powerful competitive presence in today's heavily contested world of eSports.

The message contains valuable insight and some excellent tips for those who want to step up and make a difference. One of the best takeaways from this message is to love the game you are playing, and along with that comes loving the community you are in. How can the community stand together and stay strong if they don't love and praise their game? How can the community grow if the crowds aren't roaring with excitement during matches? Respecting other eSports gaming communities is equally valuable when it comes to building solid foundations.

Leadership and structure within the community are also brought up as building blocks that the competitive community currently lacks. Juice offers a plethora of ways that these could be addressed, many of which hinge on building healthy social media connections within the community. This includes content creating outlets from valued community leaders (akin to Melee's own "Melee It On Me"), the need for more collaboration between local scenes to hold bigger and better events with strong teams rather than small tournaments that are short staffed, and encouraging top players to reach out and be persist in getting sponsored by major eSports teams in order to provide better exposure for the scene as a whole.

Juice provides a "Social Media Master Sheet," which can be found here. The document emboldens community members to build their own profiles and connections by providing information regarding themselves and accounts such as Twitter and Twitch.

So, are you ready to take the scene to the next level? Don't forget that some of the most valuable resources are the forums and rankings right here on this very site.

Content and opinions of Juice.Doom do not reflect the position of Smashboards or its affiliates.

So what are you waiting for? Twitter provides an excellent starting point towards building a healthy smash network and personal brand. Follow Xiivi to get connected with a longtime smasher, tournament organizer, and Smashboards admin.

KyroChao

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyro_Keatonlabs
HOO-HAH
Nah jk

Its so true that its time to take the next step. Imo: we need to give PM and melee a break for a bit, and take time to learn the new game, establish a strong official tier list, learn the mechanics and so on.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
This would be great for Sm4sh Wii U! It has the potential, we just have to work on it!

Jon_14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jon_14
3DS FC
1993-8945-7042
My love and respect of Max is going through the roof right now after reading this. Amazing how someone I only just found out about by watching Shots Fired is such a good commentator and now community leader in my eyes.

He is right though. Melee is great no doubt, but we can't let Smash 4 die off before it gets great like Brawl did. Haters gonna hate but we really should just play the game that we love.

I'm glad I read it too. I've been wondering countless amount of times if I'm getting in the wrong scene with Smash 4 because it's not Melee(or Project M) so there isn't an overwhelming amount of support coming from the community. Especially on the Smash Reddit and Twitch streams, they can just be unbearable at times.

I love this game though. I want to become better at it. I want to become a top player, so I shouldn't let anything stop me from achieving that goal. Since we all have the same goal in mind, it's time to start banding together to create something beautiful.

tl:dr Great article and message by Max.

Last edited:

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
He said give them a break for a bit, not bury them.
Just give it a chance. This game already has the potential, we shouldn't shun it or put it on the wayside.
Don't take that the wrong way, I love every Smash game, both casually and competitively.
I'm just saying we shouldn't give Melee more attention and possibly kill another different, but just as good, entry in the series before its prime.

Last edited:

NH Cody

Smash Champion
these constant irrelevant/biased swf "announcements" + the commenters are so toxic, but I just felt the need to point out that this is ridiculous. affiliation with esports or mlg or anything else is the problem. mlg was unreliable and said they were sponsoring brawl last year and even had qualifiers for some future big mlg event and then randomly never had the supposed big event. if you want to encourage the scene to grow then tell the brawl/smash 4 crowds to stay as far away from these other institutions as possible, who only care about casual spectators or how "exciting" the game looks. we can organize our own national tournaments

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
While I agree, the first step would be to agree on a ruleset, or at the very least work out the customs debate.

Right now I know my scene is divided on this subject, and I'm sure my scene is not the only one. As a result we have pro-customs not attending normal Sm4sh tournaments and vice versa.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Fact is, Melee isn't short of flaws. Especially when it comes to the tier list.

If you're a competitive smash fan, why would you want to limit yourself to a 13 year old game that has practically bled all the meta it can? Especially considering we have a brand new Smash with HUGE potential in the competitive scene. New meta, seemingly much more tight tier list (means less fox v fox battles etc), more characters to learn about in general, new mechanics to adapt to (making it anyone's game)... it yearns for the competitive scene.

Brawl had a lot of issues to be considered as viable as Melee, that much is true. But how do we get any further if all we do is stick with the same thing we have been for 13 years?

I'm not saying dump Melee or PM either. I'm saying we should ADD Smash 4 to the list instead of taking a peek at it and calling it junk because it's not Melee 2. I have recently gotten into a debate with a Melee fan saying Smash 4 has no meta to dig into... literally. So what I'm getting at is nobody knows. But what I've dug into proves to me that this game may actually have the potential to last as long as Melee has.

But alas, the biggest problem with die-hard melee fans seems to be the fact that they can't accept change.

Last edited:

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Imo: we need to give PM and melee a break for a bit,
You must not have been around for the whole "giving P:M the shaft" that occurred in the past few months. All the while Smash 4 continued to take spotlight (and still is). No smash game needs to "take a break."

KyroChao

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyro_Keatonlabs
You must not have been around for the whole "giving P:M the shaft" that occurred in the past few months. All the while Smash 4 continued to take spotlight (and still is). No smash game needs to "take a break."
No, i think the fact that a mod of an existing game thats had its chance to be in the spotlight for a damn long time does not need to come back into focus while a new game is still being learned

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
No, i think the fact that a mod of an existing game thats had its chance to be in the spotlight for a damn long time does not need to come back into focus while a new game is still being learned
I'm sure we've all learned the Diddy MU by now.

KyroChao

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyro_Keatonlabs
I'm sure we've all learned the Diddy MU by now.
Haha, your hilarious

Give the game time to simmer, more techniques will be learned, diddy will find his kryptonite and everything will be fine. We dont need to continue over prasing a thirteen year old game

Last edited:

BobVance_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FingoDingo
3DS FC
3454-1540-6867
So dramatic, and a lot of you really need to grow a pair. Smash 4 is pooped on at events because it's very, very boring to watch. End of story.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
HOO-HAH
Nah jk

Its so true that its time to take the next step. Imo: we need to give PM and melee a break for a bit, and take time to learn the new game, establish a strong official tier list, learn the mechanics and so on.
This, melee's been done to death. PM is struggling. Let's learn more about the game and great cast! Especially with DLC.

BobVance_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FingoDingo
3DS FC
3454-1540-6867
Well i mean, you can only watch foxes in a match for so long
Doesn't matter. The same could be said for Diddy in Smash 4. The diff is even non-campy matches in Smash 4 take a long ass time. It's boring and nothing happens but dthrows to some aerial. Did you watch the clash tournament today?

Last edited:

Lizalfos

Smash Master
@ KyroChao KyroChao You really neglect what a hypocrite you are.

I can turn everything you have said around:
you can only watch Diddies and people timing out matches for so long.
No, i think the fact that a sequel of an existing series thats had its chance to be in the spotlight for a damn long time does not need to come back into focus while a new mod is still being learned.

CONGRATULATIONS
you have become a Smash 4 elitist, the Melee elitist's equally toxic counterpart.

Last edited:

JustDan

Smash Cadet
NNID
JustDan10
3DS FC
0962-9892-9891
lol at this. Diddy v Diddy is almost all of what smash 4 is right now. I agree it needs to grow, but melee isn't going to take a "break". It is very hard for the game to develop as of right now, not because of melee, but because everybody plays so defensively. What Smash 4 needs is for someone to show us that the game CAN be exciting, not for people to dump on melee and hope people will like it.

KyroChao

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyro_Keatonlabs
Doesn't matter. The same could be said for Diddy in Smash 4. The diff is even non-campy matches in Smash 4 take a long *** time. It's boring and nothing happens but dthrows to some aerial. Did you watch the clash tournament today?
Game is still fresh, i need to reiterate that there are still techniwues to be found.

Second, if your only going to melee for speed, then your getting more repetitive gameplay by comparison. Both games have go to combos, and melee's are much older, theres few new events to happen in melee anymore

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
I'm pretty sure we learned Melee Fox's by now as well.
We did. I'm advocating P:M, what are you two still going on about Melee for. P:M fox is a whole different story, buddy.

Also last I checked, Melee Fox didn't win Apex. (smirk)

Last edited:

BobVance_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FingoDingo
3DS FC
3454-1540-6867
Game is still fresh, i need to reiterate that there are still techniwues to be found.

Second, if your only going to melee for speed, then your getting more repetitive gameplay by comparison. Both games have go to combos, and melee's are much older, theres few new events to happen in melee anymore
What POSSIBLE techniques are going to be found that haven't already to somehow completely revert the game's current direction? It has ZERO shield hitstun. Zero. It's a bad 1vs1 game by default.

Last edited:

KyroChao

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyro_Keatonlabs
What POSSIBLE techniques are going to be found that haven't already to somehow completely revert the game's current direction? It has ZERO shield hitstun. Zero. It's a bad 1vs1 game by default.
And thats a prime example of how obnoxious melee die hards can be, if the game lacks one thing present in melee, you demonize it as a terrible game. There are other ways to win, you dont need to rely on stale technique(wavedashing, which is a glitch)

Elite Smasher

Elite Smash Expert & Smashologist
NNID
Justin3
3DS FC
4253-3537-8467
I concur that the Smash 4 community needs to continue its development and become the superior and flagship game of the entire Smash community. Melee needs to retire much like Smash 64 and Brawl have done; still existing, but a side event. As for the development of Smash 4, many of the community are still plagued by the old and out of date smashological thought of previous games. Contemporary Smash was balanced through buffing the characters to their best! Not the old style of extreme buffs with extreme nerfs. The old style was inept and lead to some characters being less nerfed and out of balance. The new style though does not and (with custom specials to negate any doubt if needed) therefore is the first egalitarian smash game. With that fact in mind, the tier list (which was only vaguely relevant before) is now debunk and completely irrelevant. With the right skill, wit, and strategy, any character can defeat any character because the game is balanced. Diddy Kong and Rosalina & Luma are not unstoppable as many of the community like to purport. If you are a proponent of that idea you will lose due to that negative mental set. Lastly do not let self-serving bias get in the way of banning every stage. Do not blame the stage for your KO, but rather realize it is your fault for misusing or underutilizing the stage to your advantage. All stages should be legal with the TO deciding if the normal versions with boss characters should be legal or not as well. Also coaching has to be completely banned as it is antithetical to Smash itself because Smash is a competition of intelligence and skill between two smashers, not two smashers and their squad. They need to think for themselves and stop slowing and boring the crowds. If the community cherishes these ideals then it too can be as enlightened and extraordinary as the game itself is.

Last edited:

BlazingFireOmega

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jesse-BFO
3DS FC
1693-0474-5023
*Insert Wombo Combo Screams*

That's true. Besides, Smash 4 isn't even 1 year old and yet, and people already shun it. Don't get me wrong, Project M and Melee are fun and all, but let's face it ; One day, Top Tier Matches WILL get boring to everyone, at least Smash 4 has variety.

BobVance_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FingoDingo
3DS FC
3454-1540-6867
And thats a prime example of how obnoxious melee die hards can be, if the game lacks one thing present in melee, you demonize it as a terrible game. There are other ways to win, you dont need to rely on stale technique(wavedashing, which is a glitch)
"Melee diehard" Yeah right try again bud. I haven't played Melee in years and have been playing Smash 4 consistently since it's release. Brawl punished you for 'friggin moving, and Smash 4 punishes you for attacking first.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
And people are already being toxic again...never ceases to amaze.

Bravo to the few of you who are legitimately discussing things, though. :D

JustDan

Smash Cadet
NNID
JustDan10
3DS FC
0962-9892-9891
lol you are quite uninformed. Wavedashing is the animation for a directional airdodge into the ground. The developers intentionally left it in.

BlazingFireOmega

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jesse-BFO
3DS FC
1693-0474-5023

That's true. Besides, Smash 4 isn't even 1 year old and yet, and people already shun it. Don't get me wrong, Project M and Melee are fun and all, but let's face it ; One day, Top Tier Matches WILL get boring to everyone, at least Smash 4 has variety.
Edit : Just give Smash 4 a chance, and besides, not everything has to be like melee.

Lizalfos

Smash Master

"In Smash 4 EVERY character is viable!" As the meta evolves, this will become less true. Even games that have competitive play as the main design goal have polarizing characters and tiers.
I concur that the Smash 4 community needs to continue its development and become the superior and flagship game of the entire Smash community. Melee needs to retire much like Smash 64 and Brawl have done; still existing, but a side event.
"I get to decide which games live and die, because they can never co-exist" This is inherently a toxic viewpoint. Even when games like Dota and LoL are created by competing companies, they still co-exist.
Why do you even care about his opinion, Melee elitists don't care about yours, this is an exercise in futility. Sakurai was aware of wave-cheating pre-release btw, it is just an interaction of the physics engine.

Top Bottom