• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Theory 3: Reads

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

Rush Hour Smash, a Youtube channel ran by @Keitaro and False, has released it's third video in the Smash Theory series. The first video covered the neutral game, something fundemental in all fighting games from Smash 4 to Tekken and the second video covered zoning another fundamental skill in fighting games that you can see especially by certain characters in Smash. This video covers reads and some of the basics involved in those as well as baiting opponents.

Hopefully this video can help explain the basics of reads and can be used to help improve the skills of many Smash players!

SmashCapps has really enjoyed the Smash Theory series and has shown it to a lot of his friends who are just starting Smash. Go follow SmashCapps on Twitter and discuss some other excellent resources for new players.

Maximum Leech

Smash Rookie
NNID
MaximumLeech
Am I the only one that watched this video twice? One to watch the sick plays, one to actually listen haha

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Interesting vidoe, smart plays, But what caused the homerun bat sound when luigi was fighting gannondorf

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Luigi was actually fighting Ike, but the home run bat noise is heard when Luigi connects his up special's powerful hitbox with someone's hurtbox.
Sorry for that. Interesting, i have never seen that happen before.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
It happens only when Luigi initiates the up special from the ground and also the sound is not heard when the weaker hitbox makes contact with a hurtbox from either the air or ground.
Ah alright, thanks :)

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
Isn't there more than 4 options on the ledge? There's ledge stall and ledge hop too. The latter being an effective form of getting back onstage and the former being a good fake out for a ledge hop.

I don't play Smash 4 but I know the ledge snapping is really janky. Is ledge hopping non-existent in the new game?

Note: ledge hop and ledge jump aren't the same thing

Last edited:

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Isn't there more than 4 options on the ledge? There's ledge stall and ledge hop too. The latter being an effective form of getting back onstage and the former being a good fake out for a ledge hop.

I don't play Smash 4 but I know the ledge snapping is really janky. Is ledge hopping non-existent in the new game?

Note: ledge hop and ledge jump aren't the same thing
Yeah i thought about that too. With some characters people like to ledge hop into an aerial if the edgeguarder stands close to the edge so they didn't include that option.

Stalling isn't really a thing in Smash 4 though since the second time you grab the ledge you lose your invincibility frames.

Last edited:

VERMN75

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0533-5685-3324
Man, that was beautiful. After playing for so long, I still have a difficult time with reads.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Man, that was beautiful. After playing for so long, I still have a difficult time with reads.
Just notice the habits that people have in matches. It is beneficial, since everyone has a certain playstyle to how they do things; however, if your opponent is smart, they will mix things up to throw you off.

Last edited:

rp17000

Smash Cadet
NNID
rp17000
I was surprised he didn't mention ledge hop. He even performed one at 0:09.

Stalling isn't really a thing in Smash 4 though since the second time you grab the ledge you lose your invincibility frames.
Like Metalex said, stalling isn't effective in Smash 4. In fact, it might as well be considered instant death to grab the ledge twice in a row in Smash 4.

VERMN75

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0533-5685-3324
Just notice the habits that people have in matches. It is beneficial, since everyone has a certain playstyle to how they do things; however, if your opponent is smart, they will mix things up to throw you off.
Yeah, the latter is usually what happens. I got one of my friends into competitive Smash, and he's only been playing for about 3 months and has gotten better than me. It's embarrassing, really.xD

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Yeah, the latter is usually what happens. I got one of my friends into competitive Smash, and he's only been playing for about 3 months and has gotten better than me. It's embarrassing, really.xD
Does he have any significant trait to his playstyle that sticks even when he switches things up?

VERMN75

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0533-5685-3324
Yeah, mostly he approaches with SHFF lasers with his Falco. That's mostly it. He can play aggressively and defensively very well, while I play very aggressively with my Ness. We play PM mostly.

VERMN75

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0533-5685-3324
Does he have any significant trait to his playstyle that sticks even when he switches things up?
Yeah, mostly he approaches with SHFF lasers with his Falco. That's mostly it. He can play aggressively and defensively very well, while I play very aggressively with my Ness. We play PM mostly.

SAINAR

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2809-7600-5193
Oh thank god for this. I'm terrible at reads, when I get even a slightly good one I have to congratulate myself

KH1COM2

Smash Boss
I'm gonna risk sounding like an idiot, but is a "Hard Read" the best way to punish an opponent? Like, if you know your opponent is gonna roll, and the best punish is Fsmash for the stock, and you land it, is that a hard read? Watching that part of the video confused me, so maybe y'all can clarify?

VERMN75

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0533-5685-3324
I'm gonna risk sounding like an idiot, but is a "Hard Read" the best way to punish an opponent? Like, if you know your opponent is gonna roll, and the best punish is Fsmash for the stock, and you land it, is that a hard read? Watching that part of the video confused me, so maybe y'all can clarify?
Hard reading is an action where you perform an attack that can only land if your opponent does a VERY specific thing. Scroll up a bit on this feed and you'll see a hard read. When Mango read HBox's roll direction, thereafter KO'ing him with an up smash, that is a hard read.

Astraea31

Smash Apprentice
Finally somebody making good videos on the neutral game instead of "lol just do x in x situation." These are MUCH easier to understand.

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
You didn't read spot dodge You ran past because sheik is weaker with her back turned is just spot dodge happened to be covered.

Being passive removes reads by being proactive to mistakes. Real hard reads are rare.

Gionni

Smash Apprentice
Well that wasn't useful for learning reads, but that's because reading is something everyone does in their one way. The editing was sick and that edgeguard with falcon and link too

Top Bottom